Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

Does anyone think Herman should not be fired? This misguided notion that you have to give a coach 3-4 years to prove himself is nuts. A good coach can turn this around in a year. If he doesn’t he’s gone. It will be 10-15 years or longer before we see something. The odds are against you when you keep a mediocre coach for 3-4 years.

22 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

The issue is, it isn't just a coordinator.

Look at the field goal last game.

Look at our special teams.

Look at our tackling.

Look at our offensive play calls.

Look at UConn, SMU, Maryland and Maryland.

No part of this team functions well. None.

I do agree on CDC and I don't think Herman gets fired this year.

But I'm done.

Agree on all counts. 

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Herman’s problem is likes to project that he’s smarter than he is. Matt Ruehl runs circles around him. 

yep, and if he fires the guys that everybody's been telling him to, then he has to admit you were right and he was wrong.  arrogant people who think they're smarter than you don't do that.  so we're stuck with Orlando and Beck.  and this shit will continue.

On 10/20/2019 at 10:20 AM, 52-80 said:

Charlie Strong was given 3 years, and got worse every year. 

Herman won an NY6 bowl his 2nd year, and in his 3rd year has gotten over the toughest part of the schedule (despite how ugly it was).

Matt fucking Rhule could lose his next 4, possibly 5.  At MINIMUM, 2 of those games. 

The defense is the worst part of this team, yes, but it's also been ravaged by injuries.  And as boneheaded as we claim Charlie was, even he took actions on the D end when things got desperate -- so why wont Tom?  (A: it aint that fucking desperate yet). 

So unless Darrel K Royal or Bear fucking Bryant is walking through that door, shut the fuck up about replacing Tom today.  Im not ready to hit the reset button just yet.

This post didn't age very well.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Thetexashammer said:

I hope the phone call goes out to Urban. Gotta at least ask. /makehimsayno

I'm no fan of Urban.  Though he will have several choices if he wants to coach again next season and you would think he would get satisfaction dragging his nuts across herman and taking his job.  

I completely support what the hermans did regarding the smiths, and Urban is a proven Shitbag.  Fuck it, see what he has to say and go from there.

48 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

Herman can be alright if they force his hand on assistant coaches and coordinators. Get rid of the current crop and go after the best money can buy. Let Herman be a Mack type "CEO" coach. 

Thanks but no. He's had 2 games before this to see the writing on the wall. That he hasn't pulled the trigger says all we need to know about him, he won't make the tough call. So it's time to be rid of this guy.

This was posted at BC and it may be the precis on Tom Herman and staff:

This staff can coach, motivate and win a single game against almost anybody. They do not coach and motivate to win 12 games. So there will be Marylands, 2017 Tech, 2018 OSU, this game, along with needless close calls(last week). This is who they are.

Just now, mdmost said:

Here’s the deal though. We knew Herman had these games in him. Navy, SMU. Plenty on his Houston resume to show he’s capable of losing to teams we should beat.

What are you talking about? This wasn’t some situation where we were good and slipped up against a worse team. It was basically a pick’em against a shitty team and they beat us by double digits.

We suck. We’re a really bad football team. We’re you under the impression we weren’t?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BurntEyes said:

Who are these Texas fans you're talking about, and btw, I know you're fucking ass negged me a fuck ton for shitting on Herman these past couple of years. So fuck you bitch ass.

Go peruse the next coach thread and see for yourself.

And Herman is night and day better than Strong, and prior to the last 3 games we've been on nothing but an upward trajectory since he got here.
Remember, ole Charlie was outscored by Patterson 129-26.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BurntEyes said:

No we wouldn't be because we'd still have the same shitty coaches.

I agree the coaches are shit, but Shane 100% beats TCU today (he's already beat them) and I think 75% beats LSU (Sam converts those 4th and goals with moxie and grit) and I think it's a coin flip against OU because the team is playing harder for Shane. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Been pretty obvious that Herman needs to go ever since he let Buchele transfer. Gotta think we are 7-1 with an outside shot at 8-0 with Buchele at the helm.

Dunno about that. We would probably change our playcalling to run to shit out of Shane instead of doing what hes good at.

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas