Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

15 minutes ago, mdmost said:

The problem with this constant false starting of being decent again is any change is going to set recruiting back. You're already seeing defensive guys decommitting. We're going to keep losing them until Orlando is gone and then we'll lose ones that wanted to play for Orlando. Of course, I can't blame any of these guys. Look at the results. If you're a WR, you look at OU. They're putting guys in the league consistently. If you're a defensive guy, go to LSU or another SEC school where they put you in the league. The players can't get past Orlando's bad schemes. So we're faced with trying to find a new DC and defensive position coaches with possibly a lame duck head coach, though I doubt CDC is thinking of removing Herman any time soon. I'll be interested to see how the turnout is for KSU. If we start tanking, apathy sets in again like it did for Strong. And there's the rub. Herman doesn't seem like a good enough head coach to squeeze out more wins from this current squad unless Sam shakes off his troubles and bails Herman out...again. That Sugar Bowl sure seems like Fool's Gold. 

It's true.  All of it.  Speaking of KSU, hire that fucking guy.  Dimwits in manhattan were crying when they didn't get the top ballyhooed coaches and had to "settle" for Klieman.  KSU fans too stupid to know better, he was a perfect fit for that job.  Good friend/KSU fan was all depressed when Snyder retired/Klieman hired.....told him, "yep you fit right in"

40 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

We weren't going to get a better hire because we had a monumental sham of an AD at that time who pretty much fucked up everything he touched. 

That clown Brown should have been fired the night of October 8, 2011.  Two disembowelments by OU were bad enough.   That third one should have had him cleaning out his office. 

A year after a national championship appearance? We’re a clown show because of knee jerk decisions. 

• Rage+1 1

Yeah history repeats. We suck and realize we're stuck in a loop of mediocrity. We then question why Mack was fired, why we went with Strong over others, why Strong was fired, why we hired Herman over others, and on and on and on. We'll probably be back here doing this next year when we're debating who we go with to replace Herman. This is Dante's Divine Comedy and we're stuck in Purgatory. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Yeah history repeats. We suck and realize we're stuck in a loop of mediocrity. We then question why Mack was fired, why we went with Strong over others, why Strong was fired, why we hired Herman over others, and on and on and on. We'll probably be back here doing this next year when we're debating who we go with to replace Herman. This is Dante's Divine Comedy and we're stuck in Purgatory. 

Our next coach can't be from a G5 program. Either NFL or a P5 steal. This cycle needs to break. Checklist:

- Proven experience as an HC at a P5 program or a coordinator in NFL

- Role model

- Someone Texas talent would love to play for

- No gimmicks

- Confidence but not arrogance

- Excellent fundamentals

- Helps young people reach their potential not kick them out of the program

10 minutes ago, VaLonghorn99 said:

Our next coach can't be from a G5 program. Either NFL or a P5 steal. This cycle needs to break. Checklist:

- Proven experience as an HC at a P5 program or a coordinator in NFL

- Role model

- Someone Texas talent would love to play for

- No gimmicks

- Confidence but not arrogance

- Excellent fundamentals

- Helps young people reach their potential not kick them out of the program

OU has hired coordinators the last two times and they've worked out pretty well. I don't want to limit our search to any strict parameters. Get a good fucking coach. Period.

12 minutes ago, C-Man said:

OU has hired coordinators the last two times and they've worked out pretty well. I don't want to limit our search to any strict parameters. Get a good fucking coach. Period.

OU had the luxury of hiring their head coach from a coordinator position. So it was just a simple transfer of power from Stoops to Riley. Stoops was a great risk but how many coordinator to HC hires work out? I honestly don't know. And frankly, the "we're Texas" bravado will stop any notion of a coordinator to HFBC option. We'll need a full overhaul if we move out Herman. 

Edited by mdmost

Just now, mdmost said:

OU had the luxury of hiring their head coach from a coordinator position. So it was just a simple transfer of power from Stoops to Riley. Stoop was a great risk but how many coordinator to HC hires work out? I honestly don't know. And frankly, the "we're Texas" bravado will stop any notion of a coordinator to HFBC option. We'll need a full overhaul if we move out Herman. 

‘We’re Texas’ is great for the fans.  But if your players and staff buy into that shit you get this.  I’m drunk.  Neg away.  

3 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

‘We’re Texas’ is great for the fans.  But if your players and staff buy into that shit you get this.  I’m drunk.  Neg away.  

I'm meaning more boosters and alumni, the people who push for the change to eventually occur. Unless I'm wrong, the Houston big money guys were what pushed Strong out. I think the DFW set were fine with it. The idea being Herman was ready to move. I'm sure there's a bit of "we're Texas" with the staff and players after last season but I'd imagine TCU knocked that idea out of their heads. "We're back to 2014" is more their reality now. 

Edited by mdmost

9 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Yeah but the key there was an A recognized and hired an A.   Good, proven football people must be involved and I’m not talking about some Korn Ferry hack.  

14 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I'm meaning more boosters and alumni, the people who push for the change to eventually occur. Unless I'm wrong, the Houston big money guys were what pushed Strong out. I think the DFW set were fine with it. The idea being Herman was ready to move. I'm sure there's a bit of "we're Texas" with the staff and players after last season but I'd imagine TCU knocked that idea out of their heads. "We're back to 2014" is more their reality now. 

It’s all of that.  If you’re a junkyard dog, you fight. There’s no junkyard dog in this program.  

Saban and Jordan are constantly feeling shafted.  They’ll skullfuck their own family to win.  

Texas is a much better school.  Much better student body.   Even some of you clowns are good people.  But stop acting like you can have that very nice humble gentleman attitude and win anything.  You will always claim the high ground but you won’t win shit unless you get a gangster son of a bitch like VY.  VY isn’t a pompous ‘we’re Texas’ guy.  He’s a perpetual underdog.  Is there bad that comes w that?   Obviously.  But he won at the highest level and his attitude had as much to do with it as his talent.  

• Like 4

The further away we get from 2005, the less I'm convinced we'll ever get back to that glorious feeling. 2009 was close. That was 10 years ago. We're a consistently underachieving program since the late 60s that acts like it's Alabama, OU, and Ohio State. With all we have, shouldn't we be where those 3 are now. It can't all be because of coaching. So why the hell do consistently underachieve?  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

The further away we get from 2005, the less I'm convinced we'll ever get back to that glorious feeling. 2009 was close. That was 10 years ago. We're a consistently underachieving program since the late 60s that acts like it's Alabama, OU, and Ohio State. With all we have, shouldn't we be where those 3 are now. It can't all be because of coaching. So why the hell do consistently underachieve?  

It’s simple.  We aren’t willing to cheat.  We think we are above it.  Those programs will win at all costs.

• Like 2

SEC cheating I can see but I see nothing that says OU cheats. They just have better coaches, use the transfer portal to their advantage, and have a coach with the brains to see his biggest deficit was at DC and made a change by getting the best guy available. Other programs in the Big 12 consistently get more out of their talent than we do. Why is that? It's not cheating. I think saying we have to cheat to win is a bullshit excuse because you're laying OU's success at the feet of them cheating versus just flat out being a better program than us stem to stern. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Texas doesn’t care about winning it’s that simple. Texas wants to sit on piles of money and talk about its “brand” not actually dominating on the field.

• Like 3

Remember the story of Herman walking around in UH football offices and he saw a piece of trash on the ground, and he picked it up? It was a testament to his awesome attention to detail.

I do this at my kid’s coach pitch team. Maybe I should be the next coach.

5 minutes ago, mdmost said:

SEC cheating I can see but I see nothing that says OU cheats. They just have better coaches, use the transfer portal to their advantage, and have a coach with the brains to see his biggest deficit was at DC and made a change by getting the best guy available. Other programs in the Big 12 consistently get more out of their talent than we do. Why is that? It's not cheating. I think saying we have to cheat to win is a bullshit excuse because you're laying OU's success at the feet of them cheating versus just flat out being a better program than us stem to stern. 

Huh?  Big Red Motors and Joe Mixon.  They’re bankrupt and not above board.  I’m ready to join the fray.  Losing sucks!

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

The last 2 coaching hires have been awful. Strong was an absolutely awful coach. Herman looks like he also sucks. 

Again...we all know that Texas will retain Herman after the season, even if Texas finishes 5-7. Would other schools do that in our situation? With Urban Meyer sitting out there? 

I think that last point answers the question...it isn't about cheating, it's about prioritizing winning. If you prioritize winning, you'd fire Herman and sign Meyer. If you don't, you put up with Herman's obvious deficiencies and let him keep making the same dumb mistakes every week. To me that's kind of the bottom line. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, mdmost said:

GTFO, ou’s history is based off cheats & deception. They were just busted for 20 years of lying at the highest of levels. They have and will always cheat. They don’t give a shit about their athletes, look at how they handled the Stoops to Riley change. Fuck ou and anyone defending that trash.

10 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

The last 2 coaching hires have been awful. Strong was an absolutely awful coach. Herman looks like he also sucks. 

Again...we all know that Texas will retain Herman after the season, even if Texas finishes 5-7. Would other schools do that in our situation? With Urban Meyer sitting out there? 

I think that last point answers the question...it isn't about cheating, it's about prioritizing winning. If you prioritize winning, you'd fire Herman and sign Meyer. If you don't, you put up with Herman's obvious deficiencies and let him keep making the same dumb mistakes every week. To me that's kind of the bottom line. 

In the long run, cheating is less expensive than swallowing huge coaching buyouts.  What the mold of the current winning cfb program looks like:

1.  Most important.  A liquid non traceable bag man network.  Gotta keep momma happy.

2.  Attorneys to cleanup messes.  Does Joe Jamail have any kids?

3. Compentant coaching that does not overthink the process.  Keep it simple and let the talent do the talking.

4.  If you get caught, keep cheating.  At most you are 2 years away from prominence.  The NCAA will never hand out the death penalty again, especially to a blue blood.

5.  Never ever overpay for a coach.  The system does the winning.  Make sure the coach understands this simple fact.

Edited by 2300 Nueces

3 minutes ago, 2300 Nueces said:

In the long run, cheating is less expensive than swallowing huge coaching buyouts.  What the mold of the current winning cfb program looks like:

1.  Most important.  A liquid non traceable bag man network.  Gotta keep momma happy.

2.  Attorneys to cleanup messes.  Does Joe Jamail have any kids?

3. Compentant coaching that does not overthink the process.  Keep it simple and let the talent do the talking.

4.  If you get caught, keep cheating.  At most you are 2 years away from prominence.  The NCAA will never hand out the death penalty again, especially to a blue blood.

5.  Never ever overpay for a coach.  The system does the winning.  Make sure the coach understands this simple fact.

I don't disagree, but if you keep screwing up #3, none of it matters. 

No, it's because we don't cheat and because OU got caught 15 years ago with Big Red Motors and they had that one time they let Joe Mixon "redshirt". That's the reason OU has won the Big 12 12 times. Has nothing to do with coaching or getting more out of their talent. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

No, it's because we don't cheat and because OU got caught 15 years ago with Big Red Motors and they had that one time they let Joe Mixon "redshirt". That's the reason OU has won the Big 12 12 times. Has nothing to do with coaching or getting more out of their talent. 

Those are the times they got caught.  Do you think you can lease a Lexus for free like AD did?  If you can let me know how you got that deal.

36 minutes ago, mdmost said:

as far as OU it's the offensive line, every fucking year they have a good to great one. I'll post this again, they had 4 olineman drafted in the top 4 rounds last year, that's never happened before, their center was a freshman all-American, they replaced the four drafted with four more that will be drafted. we've had 1 drafted in 12 years. Last year we got a grad transfer from Rice, this year one from a triple option offense. We suck at oline and have for a decade. It's a damn wonder we won 10 games last year. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SubliminalHorn said:

If we did we would fire Tom at the end of the year and have Urban’s contract ready to sign the next day. But we aren’t and we won’t. 

Yup. One of the 2-3 best coaches in the sport over the last 15 years is sitting out there with nothing to do. If Texas prioritized winning like other schools do, this would be the obvious move. That's what people mean when they say we don't prioritize football, and they're correct. 

note: I'm not saying that Texas should do this...just that it is absolutely the right football move to make. 

• Like 2

Surly horns seems to be a good description.

I just don't understand why so many of you were so happy with Charlie Strong when he had a losing record.  Herman got Texas back into the top 10 for the first time in 10 years and does have a winning record this year and you are already trying to fire him.

Sure, lots of room for improvement this year, but DKR had 3 straight 6-4 seasons before having the greatest Texas run of all time.

I'm not saying Herman is a DKR, but he's sure not anywhere near as bad as Shaggy's fave Charlie Strong.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bullet said:

I just don't understand why so many of you were so happy with Charlie Strong when he had a losing record.  Herman got Texas back into the top 10 for the first time in 10 years and does have a winning record this year and you are already trying to fire him.

Sure, lots of room for improvement this year, but DKR had 3 straight 6-4 seasons before having the greatest Texas run of all time.

I'm not saying Herman is a DKR, but he's sure not anywhere near as bad as Shaggy's fave Charlie Strong.

I feel most of us actually realize he isn’t going to be fired this year barring a complete meltdown and finishing with a losing season. 
that said.  Everyone on the defense and half of the offensive coaches need to be shown the door 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

26 minutes ago, bullet said:

He lost to shit tcu. He deserves the scorn, Absent any strong homerism. Do I hate him as a man? No, but as a coach he sucks donkey balls and should feel shame for the money he is currently stealing. This team is dog shit as of Sunday 10/27/19. They can get better and god i hope they do but today Herman and the team fucking suck.

OU vs Texas.   Well OU limited their wandering in the wilderness to about 10 years, made a late 90s hire who was great compared to our very very good late 90s hire.  Then that great late 90s hire didn't burn down as quickly and put together a perfect succession plan that was then executed flawlessly while our very very good late 90s hire bumblefucked one succession plan and then burned it down on the way out.  

In general there is something to the identity of a school.  OUs identity IS its football team (in fact in many ways the entire state's identity is the OU football team)...there is literally nothing else that springs to a person's mind when you think about OU across the country.  They know it and they have a singular focus around it, whether that be coaching hires, cheating whatever.  Texas on the other hand has a lot of of other things going on...doesn't mean we don't care about football as some have suggested but we are never going to care as much as a school who's entire identity is the football program.  

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Goodman said:

GTFO, ou’s history is based off cheats & deception. They were just busted for 20 years of lying at the highest of levels. They have and will always cheat. They don’t give a shit about their athletes, look at how they handled the Stoops to Riley change. Fuck ou and anyone defending that trash.

Wilkinson and OU were cheating their ass off and it hasn't stopped since. that said, they had 3 very good coaches over the last 70 years.  we had 2 and unfortunately for most of that time the SWC was much better than the old Big 8.  OU had to win 2 games, Texas and Neb. everyone else sucked(save a few years of CU).

• Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas