Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

He did have Ricky Williams playing full back and blocking with Priest Holmes largely riding bench. Not sure I'd call him an elite offensive mind. Even with that was still better offensively than what is being fielded today. And as bad as his defenses were, and to be sure they sucked, they were a lot better than our current regimes output.

This is the same coach that lost 66-3 to UCLA.

Herman is that fucking terrible.

in 1995 Holmes was out with an injury. A freshman Ricky Williams was played at fullback so they could put him and Shon Mitchell (who was a great college RB) in the same backfield, and it worked beautifully with Williams and Mitchell both rushing for nearly 1000 yards.

In 96 Williams was moved to halfback ahead of Mitchell who was dinged up, with Holmes in 3rd.

What Mackovic did with those three and the way they were deployed situationally wasn’t a weakness, but a demonstration of how skillfully he managed and used his talent.

• Like 8

15 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

I'm sure firing people every 3 years will lead to long term program health and stability like they have, and not being the college football equivalent of the Cleveland Browns.

By firing people if you mean HC, I would agree, but if he maintains the shit-packed staff, why would anyone anticipate anything but craptastic results ( at premium prices). He must dump staff this season or he will be done a year later . 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Disagree. The defense played well enough to win every single game that year-- how often do you hold a team to 200 yards and lose by 17 (A&M)? With even a modestly competent offense (which I think Mackovic could have given us, since it's what he did in 1992) to keep the defense off the field a bit and score just a handful of touchdowns, instead of pitch left pitch right play action on third down, that team could have won nine. 

That was definitely a stout Texas defense, with an NFL defensive line.

To be fair to them in the A&M game, the Aggie defense finished the season ranked #1.  A pick 6 and (I think) a punt return TD accounted for most of the victory margin.

4 hours ago, Augustus said:

To be fair to them in the A&M game, the Aggie defense finished the season ranked #1.  A pick 6 and (I think) a punt return TD accounted for most of the victory margin.

Right, that was more of a "how did I drop that box on my foot" type of question. I know how gravity works, I'm just dumbfounded.

Mike Stoops got fired midseason because he got in a fight in the locker room with a player. I don't think Riley would have let him go at that time otherwise. I think you guys are giving Riley too much credit for having nuts big enough to fire King Bob's brother...

And even if the fight with Bolton was all bullshit, Mike Stoops tried to resign but Riley fired him instead so the school would pay out is contract. It worked out pretty well for Riley but the notion that he fired Stoops just because he ran a shitty defense is not really what happened.

https://www.news9.com/story/39246368/mike-stoops-out-as-defensive-coordinator-for-ou

Here's what Dean Blevins learned about the situation Sunday night: 

"Well I guess there was a lot of emotion in that locker room not only after the game, but at halftime when a player almost quit the team. It was an unusual amount of negative emotion. You can understand that because they played pitifully in the first half. 

I did learn tonight that Mike Stoops had offered to resign and Lincoln Riley didn't accept his resignation after the game, and then today Mike learned that he had been fired, so that was kind of a strange set of circumstances. 

The timing is curious, certainly from Mike Stoops' standpoint. Mid-season is rarely done, but at the same time there was such a huge uproar among the fandom. I don't know that all the players had bought in, and I think Lincoln Riley had brought that up to Mike. The rare mid-season fire, happened today."

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, JMFP said:

Mike Stoops got fired midseason because he got in a fight in the locker room with a player. I don't think Riley would have let him go at that time otherwise.

Do you think Riley would have let him go if he'd gotten in a fight with a player but OU had been giving up 12 points a game?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

He sounds like our Dept Director who is also obviously completely full of shit. 

Everyone left on our schedule is better than this team with Tech being about even with our shittiness or slightly worse.  This team may win one more game to get into the gallery Furniture Shit Sammicnh bowl at best.

Have you told him that?

23 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Do you think Riley would have let him go if he'd gotten in a fight with a player but OU had been giving up 12 points a game?

No, I think if they were only giving up 12 points a game that would mean the defensive players would have bought into the system and would listen to their coach. But that isn't what happened. If Texas was giving up only 12 points a game this thread wouldn't exist, in seriousness anyway.

I also think if it wasn't King Bob's brother then Riley/OU would have accepted his resignation and not paid him dick instead of firing him the next and paying out his contract.

Point is Mike wasn't fired midseason just because of poor performance, other shit happened. I think some of you guys are giving Belly Tat too much credit for dumping Stoops. He fell into a lucky situation where Mike was going to have to leave. They gave him a good bye blow job by firing him instead of letting him resign and then by denying any rumors of the fight.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JMFP said:

Point is Mike wasn't fired midseason just because of poor performance, other shit happened.

OK, we're on the same page. I think it was "poor performance with the locker room incident as the excuse", but regardless of the mix, I agree it wasn't just one thing. He was a locker room cancer because it was (and is) still 2000 in his mind and the players are the same bought-in automatons the 2000 OU team was. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

You're probably right. I just hate that the '91 defense was so stout and yet that team couldn't even make a damn bowl game. 

100% -- put that defense with the 1990 offense and I think we could've given Miami a run for its money.

10 hours ago, Augustus said:

That was definitely a stout Texas defense, with an NFL defensive line.

That's right. Marcus Buckley picked off a Peter Gardere screen pass on our first offensive play of the game and took it 20 yards for a TD. aggy's stud DB ran back a punt like 70 yards in the second half for the back-breaker.

I went and looked at the stats for the '91 defense and all four DL -- Dronett, Jeter, Patton and Robinson -- had 9+ sacks. The 10-7 win over OU was perhaps the greatest disparity of defensive versus offensive performance I've ever seen in 40+ years of watching football.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

That's right. Marcus Buckley picked off a Peter Gardere screen pass on our first offensive play of the game and took it 20 yards for a TD. aggy's stud DB ran back a punt like 70 yards in the second half for the back-breaker.

I went and looked at the stats for the '91 defense and all four DL -- Dronett, Jeter, Patton and Robinson -- had 9+ sacks. The 10-7 win over OU was perhaps the greatest disparity of defensive versus offensive performance I've ever seen in 40+ years of watching football.

Defense also took us 0-0 with Baylor into the 4th quarter that year before it finally collapsed and we lost 21-15.

38 minutes ago, blackflag said:

I just can't take this guy any longer.  I'm watching his presser from yesterday.  Reporter asks, with the extra week what are you going to work on?  Tom's answer -- relationships.  Someone please just shoot me.

Yeah if you would have listened at little better he said getting better fundamentally, understanding simple things like angles, leverage and going back to the basics. Then, on Sunday they’ll start preparing for kstate. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DoneWithit said:

Yeah if you would have listened at little better he said getting better fundamentally, understanding simple things like angles, leverage and going back to the basics. Then, on Sunday they’ll start preparing for kstate. 

The guy is a clown.  Beat one good team at UH and land a premier job.  You can suck him off all you want.  I've had it with him and perfume smelling shit.

5 minutes ago, blackflag said:

The guy is a clown.  Beat one good team at UH and land a premier job.  You can suck him off all you want.  I've had it with him and perfume smelling shit.

Lmao, I’m not sucking him off. Just don’t post some complete bullshit that wasn’t fully true. It was an 8 min video for fucks sake

• Like 1

"Going back to basics" coachspeak at the end of october is typically bad as far as your record goes.

14 hours ago, JMFP said:

Mike Stoops got fired midseason because he got in a fight in the locker room with a player. I don't think Riley would have let him go at that time otherwise. I think you guys are giving Riley too much credit for having nuts big enough to fire King Bob's brother...

And even if the fight with Bolton was all bullshit, Mike Stoops tried to resign but Riley fired him instead so the school would pay out is contract. It worked out pretty well for Riley but the notion that he fired Stoops just because he ran a shitty defense is not really what happened.

https://www.news9.com/story/39246368/mike-stoops-out-as-defensive-coordinator-for-ou

So you saying someone should swing in Orlando?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DoneWithit said:

Angles, leverage, and basics are all shit that should have been covered in spring camp. Learning the basics mid-season is a sign that players and coaches don’t know shit. 

1 hour ago, MrBig said:

Angles, leverage, and basics are all shit that should have been covered in spring camp. Learning the basics mid-season is a sign that players and coaches don’t know shit. 

Knowing it and getting 19-21 year old kids to learn it and do it on a fb field are two entirely different things. So it seems what we have here is a failure to communicate, and you get what we had here last week, and the week before.. which is the way Tom seems to want it and well, he gets it.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, blackflag said:

I just can't take this guy any longer.  I'm watching his presser from yesterday.  Reporter asks, with the extra week what are you going to work on?  Tom's answer -- relationships.  Someone please just shoot me.

Ran out of bullets after I shot myself so you just gonna have to deal with it.  

8 hours ago, MrBig said:

If they didn't already learn these things is HS why did we recruit them.  The speed of the game I can understand, but come on, this is basic stuff that gets them a scholarship in the first place.  Maybe knowing your assignment?   Fuck, I don't know.  Apparently our staff don't either.  Give 'em all a raise. 

7 hours ago, Surlybastard said:

Knowing it and getting 19-21 year old kids to learn it and do it on a fb field are two entirely different things. So it seems what we have here is a failure to communicate, and you get what we had here last week, and the week before, and the week before, going all the way back to La Tech.. which is the way Tom seems to want it and well, he gets it.

fify.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

I think Tom Herman picking Sam as the standard instead of using him as an outlier has ruined the locker room. They want everyone to be as dedicated, bleed orange, tough as nails, semi retarded focused on one thing - bringing the longhorns glory. 

In reality he's got a bunch of really talented mercenaries who chose Texas because it was the way their star could shine the brightest. Mercenaries don't bleed orange, they don't put up with mediocrity and resolve themselves. They look for the next way out to showcase their talents. A coach who can handle the mercenaries is what Texas needs and has needed for a long time. I think the next coach has to come from the NFL not G5 - someone who treats every play like a transaction and if you suck you get cut. 

Look at what Saban, Urban and Dano all have in common. They will cut a bitch. They will sit the fuck out of a potential Heisman quarterback because they like the look better with another guy. (Kelly Bryant AND Jalen Hurts) They coach to win fucking football games and embarrass other teams, that's what mercenaries live for.

Ed O has something special brewing at LSU, but I think that car runs out of gas before it gets to the finish line - there are only so many Joe Burrows in the world and his team needs a Joe Burrow to function. 

Everyone jealous of KSU for bringing up a coach who knows football is a pathetic coddled loser. Football at the elite level isn't about the X's and O's it's about making big dick plays and capitalizing on mistakes. Elite players didn't get elite by just being able to fucking run fast. 

So you're on the Geoff train of hiring Harbaughs bro in Baltimore? 

• Like 1

I'm on the train of hiring a coach that runs the locker room like what it is nowadays. A means to an end and a business transaction. 

The coach gets paid to win, the players play for a chance to get paid in the NFL. A coach that can win and help players get to the NFL is what Texas needs. It's what elite coaches in college football do. 

• Like 5

The fact that the "best player on the team" will never play on Sunday is all you need to know to understand why the program is in shambles. 

We all LOVE Sam and what he's about, because he's one of us. He hates losses as much as we do as a player and as a fan. That doesn't win football games passion is important and it's more fun to win with passion, but I'll take emotionless "next up" wins and somehow deal with it. 

• Like 1

Just now, Pam Cummings said:

If Texas only beat WV by 3 at home you motherfuckers would bitch so hard, gtfo with that shit.

They looked pretty meh for being off last weekend.  But Thursday night Halloween games can be a house of horror. 

I'm on the train of hiring a coach that runs the locker room like what it is nowadays. A means to an end and a business transaction. 
The coach gets paid to win, the players play for a chance to get paid in the NFL. A coach that can win and help players get to the NFL is what Texas needs. It's what elite coaches in college football do. 

I agree 100%. As we move forward into the new likeness profiting setup for college athletes, there will definitely be more of a business front with the way that the individuals will need to be handled. The more this comes into play, the less need for head coaches who build relationships. Saban gives a fuck about relationships. That is why he will continue to win, and why he has excelled in the past as well. For an old guy, he is actually ahead of the curve.

6 hours ago, immamac said:

I think Tom Herman picking Sam as the standard instead of using him as an outlier has ruined the locker room. They want everyone to be as dedicated, bleed orange, tough as nails, semi retarded focused on one thing - bringing the longhorns glory. 

In reality he's got a bunch of really talented mercenaries who chose Texas because it was the way their star could shine the brightest. Mercenaries don't bleed orange, they don't put up with mediocrity and resolve themselves. They look for the next way out to showcase their talents. A coach who can handle the mercenaries is what Texas needs and has needed for a long time. I think the next coach has to come from the NFL not G5 - someone who treats every play like a transaction and if you suck you get cut. 

Look at what Saban, Urban and Dabo all have in common. They will cut a bitch. They will sit the fuck out of a potential Heisman quarterback because they like the look better with another guy. (Kelly Bryant AND Jalen Hurts) They coach to win fucking football games and embarrass other teams, that's what mercenaries live for.

Ed O has something special brewing at LSU, but I think that car runs out of gas before it gets to the finish line - there are only so many Joe Burrows in the world and his team needs a Joe Burrow to function. 

Everyone jealous of KSU for bringing up a coach who knows football is a pathetic coddled loser. Football at the elite level isn't about the X's and O's it's about making big dick plays and capitalizing on mistakes. Elite players didn't get elite by just being able to fucking run fast. 

That's what bugs me a little bit with all the buy-in talk.  Is he seeking validation from them instead of just coaching their asses to win?  The validation came when they chose to sign with the University of Texas.  The mule is already here - stop talking and load the wagon.

Edited by Reagan1k
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, immamac said:

Yup. Ohio State, Alabama, Clemson etc all do an incredible job of this - once you start putting guys in the NFL at a steady clip, that flywheel effect let's the program run itself. I don't think Saban or any of these guys give a shit if a guy bleeds Crimson. Just show up, do your job and move on. 

30 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

One of my co-workers is wearing a UH shirt today. Started begging him to take Herman back. He's down with it, so I think we may be able to work something out. 

Damn, I am so sorry you work with Icono. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas