Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

Can we reassign Herman.  I believe we reassigned Mackovic to the golf course.  Make Herman the guy in charge of cleaning up the stadium or some janitorial duties.  If he quits, we don't have to pay him.  If he stays, raise the price of tickets 10 bucks to cover his salary.  I will gladly pay for that.  

• Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, tonedeaf said:

Can we reassign Herman.  I believe we reassigned Mackovic to the golf course.  Make Herman the guy in charge of cleaning up the stadium or some janitorial duties.  If he quits, we don't have to pay him.  If he stays, raise the price of tickets 10 bucks to cover his salary.  I will gladly pay for that.  

whoa, you're in for ten whole bucks, eh?

9 hours ago, immamac said:

I'm on the train of hiring a coach that runs the locker room like what it is nowadays. A means to an end and a business transaction. 

The coach gets paid to win, the players play for a chance to get paid in the NFL. A coach that can win and help players get to the NFL is what Texas needs. It's what elite coaches in college football do. 

Yep, and all this nonsense about "motivating players" being the #1 trait in a coach; Bellicheck and Saban would laugh their ass off at that. 

The most important thing a coach can do is make sure his team does the exact right thing on every play of every series of every game. Know your role, know what you do/don't do well. Do your job. The elite coaches would take a group of athletes that know that and play with 80% heart, over a team that is undisciplined but plays with 120% heart and kisses their coach and whatever other nonsense Herman fantasizes about. 

Trust in doing the right thing is a two way street. You can't ask for discipline and reliability from your players if you as coach keep your underqualified buddies around on staff, who are doing the players the disservice of giving them shitty coaching. You can't expect excellence of execution from your team if they can't trust you to build schemes and game plans that set them up for success. 

If I were a player I wouldn't take Herman's pleas for professionalism and execution seriously either. If he can't put aside his buddies and his ego to make his team successful, why would the players? He is setting his team up for failure for selfish and personal reasons. Excellence and consistency and professionalism start at the top. Even the peripheral things like Michelle Herman's trashy Twitter wars are a microcosm of the whole thing. Do you think Bellicheck or Saban or Meyer or Payton or Popovich or whoever would be okay with their wife doing that? Tom Herman is not professional enough for this job.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:

Trust in doing the right thing is a two way street. You can't ask for discipline and reliability from your players if you as coach keep your underqualified buddies around on staff, who are doing the players the disservice of giving them shitty coaching. You can't expect excellence of execution from your team if they can't trust you to build schemes and game plans that set them up for success.  If I were a player I wouldn't take Herman's pleas for professionalism and execution seriously either. If he can't put aside his buddies and his ego to make his team successful, why would the players? He is setting his team up for failure for selfish and personal reasons. Excellence and consistency and professionalism start at the top. Even the peripheral things like Michelle Herman's trashy Twitter wars are a microcosm of the whole thing. Do you think Bellicheck or Saban or Meyer or Payton or Popovich or whoever would be okay with their wife doing that? Tom Herman is not professional enough for this job.

Herman better fire some buddies quick, and figure this shit out ASAP.... 

39 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Herman is just as stubborn and egotistical as damn Mack Brown and seems like he is willing to just take his money, run things out, and screw UT.

Herman sees now he has financials guaranteed for life (almost 7 million this year with raises built in for the next four years...unfortunately that is on Del Conti), and he  is determined to do it his way...screw Texas fans, AD, money boys, and admin.  

Question is how far are Fuentes and Del Conte willing to stick their necks out?

Edited by ruitxn

24 minutes ago, ruitxn said:

Herman is just as stubborn and egotistical as damn Mack Brown and seems like he is willing to just take his money, run things out, and screw UT.

Herman sees now he has financials guaranteed for life (almost 7 million this year with raises built in for the next four years...unfortunately that is on Del Conti), and he  is determined to do it his way...screw Texas fans, AD, money boys, and admin.  

Question is how far are Fuentes and Del Conte willing to stick their necks out?

I would say he’s a lot more stubborn and egotistical than Mack ever was. At least Mack won something, even if he was just along for the ride.

33 minutes ago, ruitxn said:

Herman is just as stubborn and egotistical as damn Mack Brown and seems like he is willing to just take his money, run things out, and screw UT.  Herman sees now he has financials guaranteed for life (almost 7 million this year with raises built in for the next four years...unfortunately that is on Del Conti), and he  is determined to do it his way...screw Texas fans, AD, money boys, and admin. Question is how far are Fuentes and Del Conte willing to stick their necks out?

CDC is not going to allow Herman to do things 100% Tom's way.  Part of the 2019 football staff needs to go.  Hopefully CDC can help Herman become a better CEO of the Texas football program... maybe share this book with Tom as well.... 😄

5 hours ago, tonedeaf said:

Every few years some idiot who thinks they are a genius proposes this idea. Agents aren’t as dumb as you. There is specific language in every contract that says employment can only be as head coach. You don’t think another school would have done this once in the history of football if it was an option?  

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

We will know in less than 45 days, but am guessing he sticks to his Mentard guns, unless he is 0-4 next 4 games.

i think any half assed coach has figured out how to beat us , and the remaining coaches are at least half assed....don’t care about how their recruiting class matched up, that doesn’t mean dick with douche coaching. So 0-4 is a very real possibility.ESP if locker room gone.

3 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

Word is that he showed up at Duncanville High in a helicopter landing right next to the football field to recruit today.  Rumlin style!  If he were winning he wouldn’t need a damn helicopter.

Tom Herman has joined Corby Meekins on the sidelines here in Waco. Watching #HookEm commit  @MrJohnston____

9:33 PM · Nov 1, 2019·Twitter Web App

15 hours ago, immamac said:

The fact that the "best player on the team" will never play on Sunday is all you need to know to understand why the program is in shambles. 

We all LOVE Sam and what he's about, because he's one of us. He hates losses as much as we do as a player and as a fan. That doesn't win football games passion is important and it's more fun to win with passion, but I'll take emotionless "next up" wins and somehow deal with it. 

i thought you were an aggie?

5 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Yep, and all this nonsense about "motivating players" being the #1 trait in a coach; Bellicheck and Saban would laugh their ass off at that. 

The most important thing a coach can do is make sure his team does the exact right thing on every play of every series of every game. Know your role, know what you do/don't do well. Do your job. The elite coaches would take a group of athletes that know that and play with 80% heart, over a team that is undisciplined but plays with 120% heart and kisses their coach and whatever other nonsense Herman fantasizes about. 

Trust in doing the right thing is a two way street. You can't ask for discipline and reliability from your players if you as coach keep your underqualified buddies around on staff, who are doing the players the disservice of giving them shitty coaching. You can't expect excellence of execution from your team if they can't trust you to build schemes and game plans that set them up for success. 

If I were a player I wouldn't take Herman's pleas for professionalism and execution seriously either. If he can't put aside his buddies and his ego to make his team successful, why would the players? He is setting his team up for failure for selfish and personal reasons. Excellence and consistency and professionalism start at the top. Even the peripheral things like Michelle Herman's trashy Twitter wars are a microcosm of the whole thing. Do you think Bellicheck or Saban or Meyer or Payton or Popovich or whoever would be okay with their wife doing that? Tom Herman is not professional enough for this job.

Yep reminds me of Jason Garrett. He is a god awful coach so they try and spin it as he is so great as getting his players motivated through the week and his players love him. They love him because he takes it easy on them and no accountability is expected at all. If your best trait is that you know how to motivate your players, you are not a good coach. That is shit for pee wee sports. Players at that level don't need motivation for the most part. They want a good coaching staff that puts them in the best chance to win and know that they can count on their coaches. I am no sure these players count on Herman right now. Especially not the shitty coordinators who are basically his frat buddies so to speak.

10 hours ago, Irieguy said:

Every few years some idiot who thinks they are a genius proposes this idea. Agents aren’t as dumb as you. There is specific language in every contract that says employment can only be as head coach. You don’t think another school would have done this once in the history of football if it was an option?  

Here again.  IIRC we did assign Mackovic to the golf course to do something.  Don't think it was golf coach.  Had something to do with maintenance.  Also I believe it had something to do with State law and buyouts.  Different agent I assume.  

9 hours ago, El Squared said:

We will know in less than 45 days, but am guessing he sticks to his Mentard guns, unless he is 0-4 next 4 games.

i think any half assed coach has figured out how to beat us , and the remaining coaches are at least half assed....don’t care about how their recruiting class matched up, that doesn’t mean dick with douche coaching. So 0-4 is a very real possibility.ESP if locker room gone.

This is what scares the hell out of me. Of course we don't know what the mood of the team is, but the decommits and the transfers sure make it look like fleeing a sinking ship.

Seeing what Matt Rhule has done at Baylor has been depressing. He inherited a train wreck. His initial recruiting classes were terrible. If you read about his background, it’s really solid. He learned a lot in the nfl I’m one year because he soaked up everything he could. Given that Herman and Strong both coached under Meyer, I still don’t understand why both have struggled.

This is what scares the hell out of me. Of course we don't know what the mood of the team is, but the decommits and the transfers sure make it look like fleeing a sinking ship.
It seems like the gimmicks have worn thin with the players and they're seeing that despite all of Herman's outward bluster, he's not setting them up to succeed. The players don't trust the coaches and the coaches don't the players (half of our best talents don't play).
It has that gut feeling of a death spiral. The trend is definitely down. I hope they can find a way to turn it around.

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Seeing what Matt Rhule has done at Baylor has been depressing. He inherited a train wreck. His initial recruiting classes were terrible.

This.

All those using youth and the "bare cupboards" left by Mack and Charlie need look no further than Baylor to see what good coaching can do.

I doubt Rhule would have wasted 3 years of Duvernay's talent on the outside.  He's 5' 11" and fast as shit...if that doesn't scream slot, I don't know what does.  He's currently two catches shy of having more receptions this season than the previous 3 years combined.

Had he stayed at Baylor he'd probably be a lock for the 1st round.

These dumb fucks don't know how to give their players the best chance to succeed, which is frustrating enough as a fan, so I can only imagine how frustrated the players must feel.

Edited by DixonHur
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DixonHur said:

This.

All those using youth and the "bare cupboards" left by Mack and Charlie need look no further than Baylor to see what good coaching can do.

I doubt Rhule would have wasted 3 years of Duvernay's talent on the outside.  He's 5' 11" and fast as shit...if that doesn't scream slot, I don't know what does.  He's currently two catches shy of having more receptions this season than the previous 3 years combined.

These dumb fucks don't know how to give their players the best chance to succeed, which is frustrating enough as a fan, so I can only imagine how frustrated the players must feel.

But wouldn't he be even faster if he was running from ten yards deep into the backfield given the head start and all?

-- Tom Herman probably. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DixonHur said:

This.

Yep. Examples like these are proof that Herman is a fraud.

1 hour ago, hornhorn said:

But wouldn't he be even faster if he was running from ten yards deep into the backfield given the head start and all?

-- Tom Herman probably. 

Well, at least they're consistent, because we certainly know that's Orlando's philosophy for rushing LBs 

Just now, DixonHur said:

Well, at least they're consistent, because we certainly know that's Orlando's philosophy for rushing LBs 

I mean why have two DIFFERENT game plans for offense and defense? Have the same plays, just replace WR with LB and spread the sheet. 

Its how I logged my calls in Salesforce when I was in sales.

6 hours ago, tonedeaf said:

Here again.  IIRC we did assign Mackovic to the golf course to do something.  Don't think it was golf coach.  Had something to do with maintenance.  Also I believe it had something to do with State law and buyouts.  Different agent I assume.  

Again you are wrong. Mackovic’s contract ran out and he voluntarily took another position. Your idea is dead on arrival. Also, some moron brought it up with Strong. And Brown before him. It was dumb then.  Now it’s dumb and tiresome. 

20 hours ago, BradInATX said:

What’s Michelle bitching about?

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas