Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

What's the main reason if despite injuries you are a better team, more talented, have a lead and still lose the game?

• Heart
  • Teamwork
  • Commitment
  • Simply outplayed 
  • Outcoached

Unfortunately, I think the bottom two were the main reasons for our loss @ TCU. Still want the team to finish strong and Herman to have a chance to redeem himself. The conference championship seems out of reach with us playing at an unbeaten Baylor and OU already having a head-to-head over us.

Team outlook:

• Great season: Somehow get to the Big 12 championship, win it and finish 11=3.
  • Redeem themselves: Win out, finishing with a bowl 10=3
  • All other scenarios show regression. Blame it on poor coaching, injuries, luck, etc.  

4 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Baggins has a lifetime.  Frost and manny aren’t going anywhere.  

Baggins will collect money for two more years and then haul ass to a recliner with a sweet handle of scotch and a very large bank account.  Manny is not a pimple on Richt's ass and Taggert is dead man walking.  Frost just lost to 2-6 Purdue.  He is no Bo Pellini, for sure.    

3 hours ago, lemonandaturd said:

Rhule would probably be 4-4 if Baylor had played OU, LSU and TCU this season and the Tech game had been called fair and square.  He may be a better coach than Herman, but I am not ready to crown his ass.    

Well, we're about to find out since Baylor's next two games are TCU and blowU...then us.  But let's not pretend that Rhule is dealing with the same level of talent Texas has. 

Baylor's last 4 recruiting classes have an average ranking of 36 (40th, 40th, 29th, 35th)...over the same stretch Texas has an average ranking of 9.5 (7th, 25th, 3rd, 3rd)

As for the bolded, lol...don't act like you're new to Big 12 officiating.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Well, we're about to find out since Baylor's next two games are TCU and blowU...then us.  But let's not pretend that Rhule is dealing with the same level of talent Texas has. 

Baylor's last 4 recruiting classes have an average ranking of 36 (40th, 40th, 29th, 35th)...over the same stretch Texas has an average ranking of 9.5 (7th, 25th, 3rd, 3rd)

Did Art and Kendall  jack off in Rhule's cake on their way out or did they just remove the steroid injections from the equation?    Briles had low recruiting classes and he roided them up to fuck anything that moved.  

Edited by lemonandaturd

12 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Did Art and Kendall  jack off in Rhule's cake on their way out or did they just remove the steroid injections from the equation?    Briles had low recruiting classes and he roided them up to fuck anything that moved.  

What's your point?  That Briles was also a better coach than Herman? 

FWIW, Brile's last 4 classes averaged 10 places higher than Rhule's

Edited by DixonHur

14 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

What's your point?  That Briles was also a better coach than Herman? 

FWIW, Brile's last 4 classes averaged 10 places higher than Rhule's

Mack may fail, Herman may fail, Charlie Strong may fail again, but none will look as bad at that bearded slug that coaches for Mount Vernon, Texas.  Mount Vernon should be ashamed.  Rhule will go to the NFL as soon as he can.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Mack may fail, Herman may fail, Charlie Strong may fail again, but none will look as bad at that bearded slug that coaches for Mount Vernon, Texas.  Mount Vernon should be ashamed.  Rhule will go to the NFL as soon as he can.  

NO, he already could have, but didn't. Rhule is a different cat. he'll leave when least expected

36 minutes ago, Droopy said:

Thule would have taken the Jets job but they wanted to tell him who to hire on his staff and, rightfully wanted complete control. They didn’t budge so he stayed at Baylor. 

13 minutes ago, Droopy said:

Thule would have taken the Jets job but they wanted to tell him who to hire on his staff and, rightfully wanted complete control. They didn’t budge so he stayed at Baylor. 

giphy.gif

Oh Tay.... we got it dah 1st time!!

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, DixonHur said:

This.

All those using youth and the "bare cupboards" left by Mack and Charlie need look no further than Baylor to see what good coaching can do.

I doubt Rhule would have wasted 3 years of Duvernay's talent on the outside.  He's 5' 11" and fast as shit...if that doesn't scream slot, I don't know what does.  He's currently two catches shy of having more receptions this season than the previous 3 years combined.

Had he stayed at Baylor he'd probably be a lock for the 1st round.

These dumb fucks don't know how to give their players the best chance to succeed, which is frustrating enough as a fan, so I can only imagine how frustrated the players must feel.

Same for Jon Burt. There's no doubt in my mind if Burt played for another Big 12 program (That has a capable QB of course), he'd be the featured deep threat WR for them.

• Fuck You 1

6 hours ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Same for Jon Burt. There's no doubt in my mind if Burt played for another Big 12 program (That has a capable QB of course), he'd be the featured deep threat WR for them.

Except for the whole part about actually catching the ball.  Of course, maybe other teams would’ve taught him that. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, lemonandaturd said:

The U hired Manny Diaz,  Nebraska hired Scott Frost, Florida State hired Willie Taggert and aggy hired Baggins.  Herman still has time to get this right, the other four not so much.  

Frost is a good example. We know he's good, NU still isn't improving much, so what's the explanation? Assistant coaches?

2 minutes ago, NowThis said:

Frost is a good example. We know he's good, NU still isn't improving much, so what's the explanation? Assistant coaches?

IMO same problem as Mensa. You coach a different level of player you might have to change your coaching approach to get them to respond. It's easier to get 1 stars to get on board and follow. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, El Squared said:

I heard at practice this week Mentard going for some trickeration , like not returning punts and kickoffs be returned from deep in our own end zone and such. High risk moves like that. He is pulling out all the stops for the the last 4 games, with outside the box shit like that.

Did Shane Buechele ever punt when Herman was the coach?

11 hours ago, NowThis said:

Florida players that have speed and are skill position players vs. Nebraska farm boys. This is also why Wisconsin fails over the course of a season and  Minnesota is about to follow suit. Michigan is a state with one foot in the grave.Ohio Sate is able to recruit team speed and skill position players from places like, er, uhm, La Grange.

you chucklefucks are really trying to grade scott frost 18 months into his rebuild?  it’s gonna take a few years for that shitpile to compete with penn state, ohio state, and wisconsin.  maybe even michigan.  and he may not even get there but you sure as shit don’t know right now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gigglebush said:

This team not living up to preseason expectations =/= failing to make a bowl two years in a row, being shutout by Kansas State and Iowa State, and getting clubbed in the ass by Arky until their head coach jizzed his pants. 

It looks like the wheels are starting to come off, and recruiting is starting to implode.  Replacing all his dead weight at once is going to accelerate the recruiting implosion   Keeping the dead weight is going to accelerate his replacement  

HCs job #1 is hiring staff and managing them.  Replacing underperforming coaches with better ones, and replacing good ones when they leave for promotions with good replacements. Strong sucked at job #1 for a HC and Herman looks just as bad.  

Herman should have been upgrading 1-2 positions a season and he would be in a better position now.  But very much like his predecessor, he has done very poorly at his #1 job function.  

• Like 1

On 11/3/2019 at 6:45 AM, NowThis said:

man you don't just march into the Big Ten and compete with its Indiana schools, let alone the Michigan wing of the conference

it's a pace, not a race, you'll see, they'll be winning Outback Bowls in another four years

On 11/2/2019 at 5:32 PM, DixonHur said:

Where do our classes rank with all the defections? Still ahead of Baylor? Probably but not by much with our coaching if I had to take a guess.

you chucklefucks are really trying to grade scott frost 18 months into his rebuild?  it’s gonna take a few years for that shitpile to compete with penn state, ohio state, and wisconsin.  maybe even michigan.  and he may not even get there but you sure as shit don’t know right now. 
I'm not grading him, but they aren't changing. The 90s and tom Osbourne are gone. They will ceiling at Michigan state. Win 10 every now and again but 8 should be expected. Too much of a fly over state.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, markstanco said:
On 11/3/2019 at 11:55 PM, futureman said:

I'm not grading him, but they aren't changing. The 90s and tom Osbourne are gone. They will ceiling at Michigan state. Win 10 every now and again but 8 should be expected. Too much of a fly over state.

If OU can do it why can't they?

There’s been lots of talk on pay sites about how predictable our offense is and how they tip run vs pass by alignment. OB asked some “sources” inside the program about this and below was the response. It’s probably 995 clickbait, but smacks so much of Herman’s arrogance to maybe be true. 

Occasionally, the demand for answers from our community is so overwhelming, hard questions need to be asked. 

Alex Dunlap recently analyzed the Longhorn offense, and came to the conclusion that Texas was tipping its plays. It was a fascinating analysis by Dunlap. It was one of Dunlap’s most enlightening Deep Digs. 

Initially, I was content with Dunlap’s insight. However, Longhorn fans wanted feedback from folks inside the building. After declining to ask questions about another reporter’s research, which can create a slippery slope if you want to challenge Texas football coach Tom Herman’s play-calling at a press conference without having your ducks in a row for his inevitable rebuttal, I eventually agreed with the masses. Somebody had to do some digging, and I had to pick the brains of multiple sources this week. 

As a warning, some of you may not like what I uncovered, and my only request is you keep the profanity to a minimum. 

If you missed Dunlap’s initial article, now would be a great time for a review. 

“There were 73 plays versus TCU where a running back was lined up somewhere in the backfield alongside Ehlinger. On 31 of those plays, the running back was clearly lined up "behind" him, meaning either in pistol, or in a fashion to where, if looking from the sideline directly down the yard marker, one player would not block your view of the other. If it would, that was considered an "even" or staggered alignment. All things very easy for the eyeballs to gauge from the defensive side of the football, thanks to the miracles of human depth perception and natural visual acuity. There were 42 snaps where the running back was lined up alongside Ehlinger, or just ever-so-slightly staggered, as described above.

“Of the 31 times the running back was lined up clearly behind Ehlinger, Texas ran the football 23 times, or 74% of the time.

“Of the 42 times the running back lined up at an equivalent or slightly staggered depth to Ehlinger, Texas dropped back to throw the football in all but one of those instances where Roschon Johnson was handed the football coming directly across Ehlinger's body on a relatively rare outside-zone call.

“For Patterson and his defense's sake, they could basically depend on this pre-snap, run-versus-pass read like clockwork.”

I wanted to get the general opinions of Dunlap’s assessment, and if there was any concern about the Texas offense tipping its plays. As expected, I was questioned about Dunlap’s football background. Once we got past that part of the conversations, I received a very interesting explanation. 

From what I was told, a member of Herman’s support staff must self-scout the Longhorns and look for tendencies every week. That person reviews the game film, without the benefit of knowing what plays are being called, and he charts the propensities from each game. 

According to one source, there are tendencies in a shotgun offense. Those tendencies are not limited to depth and width of a running back, but where he aligns in relation to the tight end (opposite and same side). The person in charge of that self-scouting aspect writes down everything he sees and presents his findings to the football staff on Mondays. 

Dunlap said, “of the 31 times the running back was lined up clearly behind Ehlinger, Texas ran the football 23 times, or 74% of the time.”

That number is not high enough to create too many concerns behind closed doors. 

I was told the Longhorn staff only worries about that number when it approaches at least 90 percent. When that number is somewhere between 90 and 95 percent, they will put in a few new wrinkles on offense to decrease that number. 

The people I spoke to do not believe opposing teams will game-plan anything off a 70 percent predictability number. As it was explained to me, an opposing team might have an idea what is coming seven out of 10 times. However, that team is not willing to risk giving up a touchdown on the other three plays when the unexpected occurs. 

In addition, I learned there is pride in the building about being able to impose their will. 

One source noted that Texas’ offense is ranked fourth in the country with a 53.7 percent passing completion rate. 

“You know what is?” the source said. “It is because Tom’s offense knows how to impose their f-ing will on other teams. That’s why. They do the same thing over and over again on third-down. Why? Because it works.”

Dunlap’s original researching was definitely enlightening. 

Nevertheless, you also know why nobody associated with the program is concerned about tipping plays. 

Does it matter which back is in? Because last year, Ingram would be slightly behind Ehlinger when he was getting the ball.

As shitty as the defense is, teams are absolutely teeing off on the 3 out of 4 fucking plays because if they get burnt on that 1 pass, the chances of Sam or the wr fucking up it are a lot better than giving up a td, knowing their offense can probably get it back.

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas