Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

8 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

There’s been lots of talk on pay sites about how predictable our offense is and how they tip run vs pass by alignment. OB asked some “sources” inside the program about this and below was the response. It’s probably 995 clickbait, but smacks so much of Herman’s arrogance to maybe be true. 

It seems that OU knew what play we were running and they were just waiting there. I don’t know if they were stealing our signals or they could infer from the alignment.

• Like 2

It seems that OU knew what play we were running and they were just waiting there. I don’t know if they were stealing our signals or they could infer from the alignment.
Based on some of what has been going around on other threads, my guess would be a combination of inferring from alignment (we have tells and claim not to care because we should impose our will anyway) and a simplified scheme allowing their talented guys to quickly read and react.

Kenneth Murray was running straight to the ball on every snap where I paid attention to him. I didn't see that he was already lined up where it was going, but he was able to quickly read the play and get to where it was going.

If he played on our defense, we would probably be asking him to fake pressure and then drop back to cover Duverney on every snap. It's amazing what superior athletes can do in a simple scheme that let's them read and react instead of trying to process 15 variables and do things they're not naturally good at doing.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

There’s been lots of talk on pay sites about how predictable our offense is and how they tip run vs pass by alignment. OB asked some “sources” inside the program about this and below was the response. It’s probably 995 clickbait, but smacks so much of Herman’s arrogance to maybe be true. 

About the arrogance factor.   If the coaches believe the team can impose its will, and it doesn’t matter that opponents know with a 74 per cent certainty, what is coming, then look at results.  Texas is 19 in total offense, at about 476 yards a game.  Draw the line here and see the average for the last 4 games.  If the average for the last 4 games is higher, I suppose there is some merit to the arrogance.  I suppose it’s possible the coaches think TCU was the only team left on the schedule to play defense?

Of course this arrogance claim could all be b.s and the truth is we have coaches that are not capable of mixing things up?

I have no clue about this staff.  

1 hour ago, XYZ said:

Maybe they studied film and figured out the offense's tendencies. That would be my guess. KSU did the same thing to them. Plus the team has been playing hurt and short handed.

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, XYZ said:

We offer no misdirection and few complimentary plays. We tend to leave the middle of the field alone. Our WRs run about 3 routes. We roll a TE out to who is a nonfactor in receiving and blocking. We roll another wr out who is just as ineffective at both despite being much larger than DBs.

We don't need to have a "tell" or "tip". It's plain easy to defend so long as the other team can either scheme or match up with athletes.

While the O started off strong enough this year, it got real lazy, real quick.

14 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Nebraska doesn’t have a recruiting hot bed anymore and have been on the downfall since partial qualifiers were prohibited.

In the past - St. Thomas Osborne Era - Nebraska could sell the best facilities, sports performance (ie steroids), and network TV to 'croots including Prop 48/partial qualifiers. All of these advantages have vanished, so here they are languishing in the Rust Belt competing with Wisky, Meatchicken, and tOSU for B1G players. They effectively cut off their Texas pipeline leaving the Big 12.

I'm not sure they'll ever be back to relevancy, much less win big again. RIP corn-aggy.

Overall, this year feels a little like 1984.  Coming off a very successful year, great potential at QB, great athletes all over the field.  Huge non conference games, those were wins over Auburn and Penn State, and the cracks really start to show against OU.  Then, it was a tie, doubt crept in about the coaching staff.  That staff lost the players completely. I remember reading the players voted against going to the Freedom Bowl, and it showed, the 55 to something loss.  

This team could easily go 2 and 2, even with a win tomorrow, and finish with a big bowl loss.  Would cdc put up with 2 more years of Herman, as admin. let Fred? 

I think the big difference is the portal.  I don’t think 4 and 5 star players are gonna stick around for inferior coaching.  They expect to go to the NFL.  How is that possible with this coaching staff?

11 minutes ago, alphahorn said:

fucking gut this staff now.  after KSU blows mensa out at home after 2 weeks to prepare, we'll know all we need to about his coaching potential

This. We’ve already had a few indefensible games. This one might be at the top of the list given the circumstances. If the score holds, of course. 

5 minutes ago, maninblack said:

Back the truck up for Meyer

I don’t see any other way. We can’t find the up and coming coach. I don’t want Fleck. He has no expectations at Minnesota. The expectations here are going to be overwhelming for most coaches. Just swallow your fucking pride, realize we HAVE to get this thing turned around ASAP before we turn into Miami or Tennessee, and go get a real proven winner like Urban Meyer. We need to get off our high horse and come to the realization that “we’re Texas” means less and less with every embarrassing loss 

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Like 3

Also, I know there are the people that feel like we are an OC or DC away from being “back”. Why would any legitimate DC come here knowing that next year could easily be Herman’s last year? They know they’re coming in to save Herman’s job. It was one thing when Mack was doing it. He had job security. We need to just accept we whiffed, cut our losses, and try again with a new HC/staff. 

1 minute ago, orangecat92 said:

To be serious about getting rid of Tom, you need a Route 66 or a freedom bowl massacre, or a Kansas style embarrassment.  I don’t think this is it, but it could be on the horizon.  Maybe after a couple more losses and a big loss to end the season.  

If we lose out which is extremely possible he could get fired 

1 minute ago, orangecat92 said:

To be serious about getting rid of Tom, you need a Route 66 or a freedom bowl massacre, or a Kansas style embarrassment.  I don’t think this is it, but it could be on the horizon.  Maybe after a couple more losses and a big loss to end the season.  

That’s what I’m afraid of. Even with all the shit I’m talking, I bet he has 2 more years. 2 more years with another mediocre set of coordinators. 

4 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

It's 14-7.  Herman is an arrogant, insufferable prick.  And it may be that he's just an average football coach despite the fact that he knows he the smartest guy in the room.  Every time.  All the time.

Still, may want to see how this game turns out.

Honestly, what is there to see though? Unless we just boat race K state from this point on (which might be the least likely scenario), how do you come out this flat coming out of a bye week when you’re getting all these players back? This team will never get to where it wants to go with Herman as the guy. They’ll show marginal improvement, and we’ll think we’re a year away, but then when the expectations start to come back and other teams start treating us like “we’re  Texas” we will always be a 3+ loss team with Herman. I just thought we had higher expectations than that, but maybe that’s just what we are now. Maybe we are Miami.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

10 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

It's 14-7.  Herman is an arrogant, insufferable prick.  And it may be that he's just an average football coach despite the fact that he knows he the smartest guy in the room.  Every time.  All the time.

Still, may want to see how this game turns out.

We all know how this game will turn out. Everyone is just hoping KSU fucks it up somehow 

18 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

Needing a FG to beat KU as time expires is pretty embarrassing.

• Like 3

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas