Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

Row the damn boat!!  That’s all I’ve got to say.  Hire a coach that turned around a P5 team finally instead of a coach that turned around some slap dick conference school for once.  A lot of us have been following him for a while and thought he would do good there.   Evaluate his other coaches and don’t automatically throw mad money at them too, and fucking win again!   The lsu recruiting classes vs ours the last 4 years and wins vs losses is just sad.  

• Like 2

Texas is a unique place. I don’t think most guys know exactly what they are getting themselves into. At Alabama, Ohio State even ou. A winning coach can pretty much rule the roost while never really having to worry about anyone fucking with them.  

That isn’t the way the Texas machine works. Even a successful coach doesn’t have the power that he would at those other schools. Not even Royal was immune from this simple fact. Texas truly is a Corporation, and the power stays behind closed doors. Not with its football coach.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

Texas is a unique place. I don’t think most guys know exactly what they are getting themselves into. At Alabama, Ohio State even ou. A winning coach can pretty much rule the roost while never really having to worry about anyone fucking with them.  

That isn’t the way the Texas machine works. Even a successful coach doesn’t have the power that he would at those other schools. Not even Royal was immune from this simple fact. Texas truly is a Corporation, and the power stays behind closed doors. Not with its football coach.

Nothing you said has anything to do with the shit product Herman has put on the field throughout his tenure here.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

I’m ready for it.   FSU had the balls to cut Taggart lose because they knew he wasn’t the guy.  We should do the same.

This! Even Arky cut ties with Chad Morris because they realized no way in hell could he ever turn their program around or elevate it. Fucking Arkansas!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

i've said it before, i'll say it again.  he's the Jason Garrett of college football.  they find new and different ways to mismanage the most crucial drives of the game.  what Garrett did in the last set of downs against Minnesota on Sunday night is what Herman did today.  coaching losing games.

Tom Herman is a ponzi scheme.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

This.  The position is bigger than the coach.  Its two worlds.  Dealing with the power on the inside and then coaching the coaches/players.  For all of Mack's problems he understood this and handled accordingly.  

If Tom had any freaking clue of how to subside the masses right now he would have left Beck or Orlando at the fuckin airport last night.  He doesn't get how dire the situation is.  No longer are the masses calling for their head.  Shit hasn't change so now fuck them, they are coming after you Tom, you dumbfuck!  You doubled down on those losers now you are up.  CDC should take note.  Do nothing and the mob turns on you.  You lose their trust and money.    

I'll never understand why coaches play not to lose when it fucking burns them so goddamn often. JUST PLAY TO WIN! 

I can handle a mistake if you are playing to win the game. Going full pussy bitch mode when you have a chance to kill the clock and win the game is where he lost me. That was full on retardation and Tim Beck needs to be fucking GONE.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, satyanash said:

And hire who? Our way of finding and evaluating head coaching hires is clearly broken at this point. Strong's hire was a disaster, and Texas has regressed hard under Herman. Now compare that to the Big 12 schools ahead of us in the standings who've made recent hires.

- Lincoln Riley was the OC at East Carolina when blOU found him. Now, he's led blOU to two straight Big 12 titles and has never missed the playoffs since becoming a head coach. And he's eight years younger than Herman.

- Baylor, despite being in a state of absolute disaster, found Rhule at Temple. In just two years, he's turned around an 1-11 team, in shambles with a serious deficit of talent, and taken them to 9-1.

- Matt Campbell was the head coach at fucking Toledo! ISU hired him for 2016, and he's already a two-time Big 12 Coach of the Year.

Other schools carefully identify coordinators/coaches they know will fit in with the institutional culture, make good hires, and set themselves and their players up for success. We myopically throw money at a sexy G5 hire, smile and look the other way while he makes underwhelming coordinator hires, then watch as said hires fail, the head coach is forced to take on more of the burden, and the team becomes a sinking ship with failure after failure on the field against inferior but better-coached athletes. The reality is that Bellmont has royally screwed up the coaching hire process at UT.

Just because you don't see the solution doesn't mean one doesn't exist.  

The worst part is saying 8-4 is "feasible" is that it just isn't. It's a fucking fighter's chance at best. I don't think anybody here realistically thinks this clearly dejected team can waltz into Waco and pull a win out of their uninspired asses. It's only made worse by the fact that the Texas Tech game is this weird forced fucking rivalry that nobody wants every single fucking year in this conference, and this year it'll be on the day after Thanksgiving at 11 in the fucking morning. It's going to be a neutral site game and Tech is gonna smell the blood in the water when this team walks onto DKR. 

The "feasible" options are 7-5 if we somehow manage to stop pouting about what we should've been and get our shit in gear. That would require a competent coaching staff, however. Even if Herman were to do some Mark Richt-esque shit with high seasons and low seasons, get that shit gone. CDC had a slew of good hires at TCU's team that kept them in elite-status and in our nightmares. Hopefully he can bring some of that to Texas sooner rather than later. 

• Like 2

The biggest problem yesterday was the offense. But who is calling these fucking plays and putting together these game plans? The whole committee needs to be gone. We make offense look so fucking hard despite above average talent. And our defense is just soft as fuck up front, so the whole game is hard to watch.

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

I'll never understand why coaches play not to lose when it fucking burns them so goddamn often. JUST PLAY TO WIN! 

I can handle a mistake if you are playing to win the game. Going full pussy bitch mode when you have a chance to kill the clock and win the game is where he lost me. That was full on retardation and Tim Beck needs to be fucking GONE.

Tim Beck has as much control over this offense as you do. He sucks, but he’s not the issue. 

10 hours ago, AeroHorn said:

All data points to Tom Herman being a coward, his offense starting slowly, defense playing way off the line, turtling as soon as he has a lead, etc. We got fooled by couple of big wins in his career because he was an underdog and didn't have anything to lose to be afraid of. Combine this with poor preparation, and we have wins only due to athletic superiority.

Cowardice and overly confident is a bad combination. He seems surprised when other teams scout him. Against TCU he said he didn't expect them to pass as much as they did. Why not? We suck against the pass. I forget the team (Kansas?), but he said he was surprised they blitzed as much despite a clear pattern of struggling to pick up stunts. This staff doesn't appear to do any self scouting. He gets out coached every week and is still convinced he's the smartest guy in the room. He's the coaching equivalent of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

2 hours ago, Bigbend1812 said:

Just make Hand the interim and let’s fuck this pig.  Start the salvage process now and try to salvage the recruiting class. 

yeah he's done a masterful job with the OL that can't gain 1 yard on the ground when we need it. he's up there with beck, mehringer, drayton, naivar, giles as total frauds

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

Tim Beck has as much control over this offense as you do. He sucks, but he’s not the issue. 

not sure this is true,  i think herman is getting further and further away from the everyday coaching. this offense looks like beck's last year at tOSU where he had and never used Zeke and had Zeke screaming about how in a cold rainy shit storm beck didn't run the ball.

• Like 1

I have come around to the idea that as soon as a head coach starts taking on the duties of a coordinator (e.g. playcalling or any type of day to day supervision of the unit), he's fucked like, well, Chuck.  The job is too big for that.

There are head coaches about whom they say "it's his defense/offense," but that only extends as far as dictating the overall scheme, maybe consulting on play design and sequences, and, of course, hiring a coordinator to implement it all to that coach's standard.  As soon as you get "Coach ________ has taken over playcalling duties" or the like, the end is near, especially if that doesn't result in summary termination and replacement of that coordinator.

25 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Hard to focus on the crying when you've got that going on with the hairline.   

Cannot explain. 

Lmao as a guy with a similar hairline, I know he's doing some kind of funky shit to hide it.  I'm not quite sure what it is, either.  There may be a rug involved.  Definitely a lot of combing and brushing and hats.

The only real solution is to shave it.  For some guys, everything on top just goes away pretty fast and that's actually a blessing.  Having it recede and thin real slowly so you look like a mangy dog is rough.

Edited by TwiceHorn

34 minutes ago, alphahorn said:

yeah he's done a masterful job with the OL that can't gain 1 yard on the ground when we need it. he's up there with beck, mehringer, drayton, naivar, giles as total frauds

I’m referring to the fantasy of dropping the ax now.  Couldn’t think of another name that could coach the remaining games on the schedule.  They are all subpar my man. 

2 hours ago, Bigbend1812 said:

Just make Hand the interim and let’s fuck this pig.  Start the salvage process now and try to salvage the recruiting class. 

For all the foregoing 107 pages of righteous ragin' nobody but this guy has figured it out: The keys are the recruiting class(es) and the transfer portal. We're already taking on water in those areas. If it gets worse and we lose more in these areas we're totally fucked. That's why we need a housecleaning now, to hold what we've still got. Hell, it may already be too late. . . 

• Like 1

A new question is emerging with respect to Texas football. Can this program ever be a top program again?

Most on this board think that is a ludicrous question given our resources, but is it? We’ve only won a couple of Big 12 titles since the conference formed. A&M has the advantage of boundless cheating and playing in the SEC, which attracts the top talent. Our administration seems incapable of figuring out who top coaches are - in any big three sport. The game is about to change yet again with paid players.

I’m not sure where this program is or where it’s headed. Even good recruiting doesn’t seem to matter.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

He’s a petulant narcissist.  That personality doesn’t work well with others that he can’t control or who challenge his ideas. His arrogance prevents him from being objective and adapting when his self perceived brilliant game planning doesn’t work as well as he imagined it. 

He’s left to make excuses, which he believes, like winning on the road is hard, the numbers say..., and we have to trust the process (my own plan). 

Were it just a maturing process, he could learn and grow, but people of his ilk doesn’t do that well because of the deep seeded belief that they are right all the time. 

New assistants can’t crack that nut.  His comfort hires were in reality enablers and that’s who he’ll chose to work with again if given the choice. 

This is a great post. It’s incredibly sobering.

I know it would never happen, but frankly we should have fired him after game number one against Maryland. Especially after he essentially hired his same UH staff despite being given a blank check. Everything that is happening now was previewed for all to see in that one game. 

It was previewed in his random inexplicable losses at Houston.

8 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

He’s a petulant narcissist.  That personality doesn’t work well with others that he can’t control or who challenge his ideas. His arrogance prevents him from being objective and adapting when his self perceived brilliant game planning doesn’t work as well as he imagined it. 

He’s left to make excuses, which he believes, like winning on the road is hard, the numbers say..., and we have to trust the process (my own plan). 

Were it just a maturing process, he could learn and grow, but people of his ilk doesn’t do that well because of the deep seeded belief that they are right all the time. 

New assistants can’t crack that nut.  His comfort hires were in reality enablers and that’s who he’ll chose to work with again if given the choice. 

This.

Tom IS the problem, not just a part of the problem.  CDC should hold meetings with the players to get their take.  My sense is that it wouldn't be a fun conversation.

Charlie was dumb as a stump, but he was a likable guy and even when losing the players seemed to really like him.  Tom is an arrogant, asshole, who refuses to take responsibility for his mistakes...just in case you're not sure...those are not great qualities in a leader.  

I'd be shocked if he hasn't already lost the locker room. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

This is such a fucking cop out. Texas will let him do what he wants but he has to win, which he can't. Texas hasn't seen a successful coach in what fifteen years? And even that coach had a chink in the armor where he constantly got humiliated by OU. How does one even know what the "machine" might or might not let a successful coach do. And what the fuck is this "machine" anyways? And lulz at calling it a machine at 210 million dollars in revenue.

For those who run around touting Texas' money, Texas' total athletic revenues were around $210 million dollars last year. There are about a thousand small businesses, not public corporations but mom and pop, family run built in one generation businesses around the country that do more than that in revenue. So calm down on Texas being a corporation. Its a public school in the second largest state in the union that has revenues of a successful small business but the ego of an Apple Inc. For comparison sake, Apple's revenues were $259 billion dollars last year, compare that to Texas' athletic revenues and they are smaller than a rounding error at 0.0000772099th of what Apple did. So no, Texas isn't a corporation. Its a rinky dink mom and pop ice cream corner store with the soup nazi at the helm.

Texas has constantly shit the bed when it comes to picking coaches to hire, partially due to blatant incapability of finding a good hire and partially due to "we're Texas" bullshit. 

• Like 8

29 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

This.

Tom IS the problem, not just a part of the problem.  CDC should hold meetings with the players to get their take.  My sense is that it wouldn't be a fun conversation.

Charlie was dumb as a stump, but he was a likable guy and even when losing the players seemed to really like him.  Tom is an arrogant, asshole, who refuses to take responsibility for his mistakes...just in case you're not sure...those are not great qualities in a leader.  

I'd be shocked if he hasn't already lost the locker room. 

We're going to find out how bad things really are on the first signing day.

30 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

I know it would never happen, but frankly we should have fired him after game number one against Maryland. Especially after he essentially hired his same UH staff despite being given a blank check. Everything that is happening now was previewed for all to see in that one game. 

This is uncannily true.  That one game had the stupid 4th down calls, using an unathletic TE as a wideout, shitty special teams plays, and failing to set the edge on defense, combined with poor tackling. That shit has been on display more or less ever since.  

• Like 2

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas