Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

Just now, David Dennison said:

It's warming up, but he's safe for at least the entirety of next season.

You seem to think the seat is only hot right before you’re ejected from it. He’s going to have to replace the majority of his staff with every candidate knowing that he’s coaching for his job in year 4. That’s known as the hot seat.

Just now, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

You seem to think the seat is only hot right before you’re ejected from it. He’s going to have to replace the majority of his staff with every candidate knowing that he’s coaching for his job in year 4. That’s known as the hot seat.

Unless he's forced to fire both coordinators, I'm going to consider it warming.

41 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

I know it would never happen, but frankly we should have fired him after game number one against Maryland. Especially after he essentially hired his same UH staff despite being given a blank check. Everything that is happening now was previewed for all to see in that one game. 

I hate to admit it but you are correct, that game's lack of coaching leadership has been a hallmark for this program with Herman. His teams play dumb fb.

Edited by Goodman

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

We're going to find out how bad things really are on the first signing day.

Personally not so worried if this 2020 recruiting class ends up ranked in the Top 10 or not.  Yes, Texas will lose a few more commitments.  Just need the ones that sign in 2020 class to be productive with upside.  Bailor, blOU, and Iowa State prove you don't have to sign a Top 10 class for your team to get better.

Just identify good talent with speed/quickness and upside -- then F'n coach and develop them!!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Tom is an arrogant, asshole, who refuses to take responsibility for his mistakes... 

"I'd never say we got outcoached."

So either he thinks he so smart that it's impossible for someone to outcoach him or he he just admitted to being incapable of admitting a mistake (and maybe, ya know, learning from it).

Guys like that don't improve at their craft.  Get him out of here.  

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

For all the foregoing 107 pages of righteous ragin' nobody but this guy has figured it out: The keys are the recruiting class(es) and the transfer portal. We're already taking on water in those areas. If it gets worse and we lose more in these areas we're totally fucked. That's why we need a housecleaning now, to hold what we've still got. Hell, it may already be too late. . . 

Fire Herman now and you’re basically nuking the class. They would all decommit.

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

So either he thinks he so smart that it's impossible for someone to outcoach him or he he just admitted to being incapable of admitting a mistake (and maybe, ya know, learning from it).

Meant to like this but accidentally hit hate, and I'm out of reactions. Sorry. 

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

We have too much proof telling us he's not the guy. I've already admitted, he has a lot of maturing to do as a HC & leader.

• Like 1

my hope after Maryland and Ok state last year was that CDC didn't hire him so he'd have less of a problem firing him, then Herman miraculously won the Sugar Bowl.

Of course, in true Texas fashion, CDC, proving he is just like every other dumbass AD, gave him an extension.  the signs were there at UH and in the first 2 seasons, yet we STILL gave the G5 coach an extension.

Post Game PC is up. See 1:35.  Q: Would you say they just out coached you guys today in terms of X's and O's?  A: "No, I'd never say we got outcoached. They had a few wrinkles we didn't expect, and we made some adjustments and put  our guys in a good position, it's just . . . silence . . it's hard to tell without watching the film"

Lulz.  This is our key decision maker folks.  It's never his fault.  "Never change!!!"

Edited by bschoolprof

We will probably lose to Baylor, beat tech, go to a crappy bowl and maybe win that. 

Tom will get one more year with Sam to turn this crap around. Whether he fires any assistants will be up to him. He probably won’t which means he’s likely gone after next year barring a miracle season. 

• Like 1

Yeah, has the word "Coward" ever crossed his mind?  Because that's one of the worst things a man in any honorable profession can be called.  And it's starting to sound like ole' Thomas is a walking coward.  

5 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Also, depends on who we hire. If we get a top tier coach, I doubt we would have too many decommitments.

If more than 50% of the players want Herman v. playing at Texas I'd be shocked.  Frankly, I'd hope that most of them would want to be Longhorns no matter who the coach, but that's a little crazy.

1 minute ago, Bullneck said:

If more than 50% of the players want Herman v. playing at Texas I'd be shocked.  Frankly, I'd hope that most of them would want to be Longhorns no matter who the coach, but that's a little crazy.

Immamac made a good point a few weeks ago when he said most of these kids are mercenaries, and I totally agree with that. Most of these kids came here because they were sold on the future, not because they're fans of Texas. There's not too many Sam's out there that would have come no matter what. 

2 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Post Game PC is up. See 1:35.  Q: Would you say they just out coached you guys today in terms of X's and O's?  A: "No, I'd never say we got outcoached. They had a few wrinkles we didn't expect, and we made some adjustments and put  our guys in a good position, it's just . . . silence . . it's hard to tell without watching the film"

Lulz.  This is our key decision maker folks.  It's never his fault.  "Never change!!!"

that’s called being out coached tom. mensa sign out front shoulda told ya.

Edited by mr. littlejeans

6 hours ago, hornhorn said:

This is such a fucking cop out. Texas will let him do what he wants but he has to win, which he can't. Texas hasn't seen a successful coach in what fifteen years? And even that coach had a chink in the armor where he constantly got humiliated by OU. How does one even know what the "machine" might or might not let a successful coach do. And what the fuck is this "machine" anyways? And lulz at calling it a machine at 210 million dollars in revenue.

For those who run around touting Texas' money, Texas' total athletic revenues were around $210 million dollars last year. There are about a thousand small businesses, not public corporations but mom and pop, family run built in one generation businesses around the country that do more than that in revenue. So calm down on Texas being a corporation. Its a public school in the second largest state in the union that has revenues of a successful small business but the ego of an Apple Inc. For comparison sake, Apple's revenues were $259 billion dollars last year, compare that to Texas' athletic revenues and they are smaller than a rounding error at 0.0000772099th of what Apple did. So no, Texas isn't a corporation. Its a rinky dink mom and pop ice cream corner store with the soup nazi at the helm.

Texas has constantly shit the bed when it comes to picking coaches to hire, partially due to blatant incapability of finding a good hire and partially due to "we're Texas" bullshit. 

Everyone is allowed their opinion.

17 minutes ago, mr. littlejeans said:

that’s called being out coached tom. mensa sign out front shoulda told ya.

He reminds me of the telephone installation guy on Seinfeld, "They prepared better than you, they executed better than you, they adapted better than you, and their overall scheme and player approach closed the game better than you.  Wouldn't you say that's being outcoached?"  

Herman:  "Look, I work for the Longhorns.  I've had a lot of experience with semantics.  So don't try to lure me into some maze of circular logic." 

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

It’s a sinking feeling when I realize I shouldn’t have complained so much about Mack Brown, even when it comes to his whiny ass press conferences.   He was better at just about everything than Herman, even (somehow) accepting blame.

I was thinking earlier today about all the assistants and coordinators that worked under Mack. The only one of his I could recall that would not be an upgrade over current staff was Mac Duff.

There's probably a couple others I have conveniently forgotten over the years, but holy shit.

It’s a sinking feeling when I realize I shouldn’t have complained so much about Mack Brown, even when it comes to his whiny ass press conferences.   He was better at just about everything than Herman, even (somehow) accepting blame.

Just want to say that Mack and Stoops dominated a much softer Big 12. 

I have a lot of faith that Mack would have found ways to be out schemed by the 2014-2019 coaches of the Big 12. 

Just want to say that Mack and Stoops dominated a much softer Big 12. 

I have a lot of faith that Mack would have found ways to be out schemed by the 2014-2019 coaches of the Big 12. 

34 minutes ago, Redneck Mutha said:

I was thinking earlier today about all the assistants and coordinators that worked under Mack. The only one of his I could recall that would not be an upgrade over current staff was Mac Duff.

There's probably a couple others I have conveniently forgotten over the years, but holy shit.

Cow Reese

3 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

If you'd never say you were outcoached, then I know to ignore you because you're a lying piece of shit.

CoachesHotSeat.com has Mensa at #7
Just trying to find the silver lining.......or SOMETHING funny about this weekend.

Silver lining is there's no point to watch or care about the result of the remaining three games, and no ccg on the table.

At 3.5 hours each, that's 10.5 hours of your life back and another 3.5 you don't have to throw away. 14.5 hours of time better allocated. That's almost a whole waking day. Not to mention, whatever it use you do almost certainly will not have the negative impact on life expectancy that watching this team does. So that's even more time back.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Friendly reminder: Dabo Swinney went 6-7 in his third season at Clemson. The next year, be brought in Chad Morris at OC and Brett Venables at DC. And Clemson won the ACC Championship and never looked back.

Herman should emulate Swinney's example. Get two new coordinators and let them have real input.

Swinney is not our standard!!

In all seriousness, I'm sure it was easier for Clemson fans to bear since he wasn't and insufferable douchebag and all.

Edited by USNALonghorn
  • Like 2

Friendly reminder: Dabo Swinney went 6-7 in his third season at Clemson. The next year, be brought in Chad Morris at OC and Brett Venables at DC. And Clemson won the ACC Championship and never looked back.
Herman should emulate Swinney's example. Get two new coordinators and let them have real input.

Was Dabo as stubborn and arrogant as Mensa?

It comes down to this, doesn’t it? Which of his egos wins out?
Either he doubles down on his full narcissistic, trust the binder, runny egg process bullshit, and they will all go down with the ship.
Or
This job really, really is that dream job of his and he knows that fucking this up will be a blemish of embarrassing proportions his ego won’t allow (whispering his name with CS...gasp) and he runs the rats off the ship. Winning isn’t so hard as we thought.

15 minutes ago, satyanash said:

DeShaun Watson ain't walking through that door...

• Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas