Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

58 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

If Herman went out and hired two elite coordinators, I could talk myself into getting excited for next season, even if I still wouldn't believe in Herman as the head guy. Sadly, Herman is way more arrogant and prideful than coaches like Dabo and Coach O, and I can't see him actually admitting the weight of his staffing mistakes--even if only to himself--and making sweeping changes.  That may ultimately be for the better of the program if it gets Herman out of here quicker and a better coach in, but it's not like Texas has been great at identifying good coaching candidates, and I'd hate to see UT waste Sam's junior and senior years.

So I guess I'll have to hope that his brief moment of clarity in demoting Warehime and hiring Hand after 2017 can repeat itself tenfold  (err I guess sevenfold or eightfold?) this off-season. 

Well, his junior year is pretty much wasted.

Just now, WBT said:

Why?  We only ran 1:01 off the clock and forced Iowa State to call 1 of their 2 timeouts as it was.  Iowa State wasn't going to run out of time before scoring.  If anything they would have scored too soon if not for us jumping offside on the fg attempt.  If we were going to give up on killing the final 4:01 when we got the ball back, we should have just punted on 1st down to give Sam even more time to lead the game winning drive.

Running out the clock shouldn’t have been the goal. The goal should have been to get FIRST DOWNS. We weren’t going to end the game without giving the ball back to ISU without at least 2 first downs. With their timeouts, a three and out with 2 running plays is essentially the same thing as 3 straight incompletions. 

First down would have been a perfect time for play action but I guess our offensive braintrust felt differently.

25 minutes ago, satyanash said:

"Self-inflicted wounds" are you kidding me? Way to throw the players under the bus to deflect from your own crappy coaching...

Players continuing to make mistakes is the result of POOR COACHING yah dumbass Mensa!!

The F'N Texas Coaching Staff needs to nut-up, take responsibility for poor execution, and get things fixed!!  Horns offense was being laughed at by Iowa State defensive players on the field during the 1st half because Texas Offense is STILL TIPPING THEIR DAMN PLAYS!!  😠

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Players continuing to make mistakes is the result of POOR COACHING yah dumbass Mensa!!

The F'N Texas Coaching Staff needs to nut-up, take responsibility for poor execution, and get things fixed!!  Horns offense was being laughed at by Iowa State defensive players on the field during the 1st half because Texas Offense is STILL TIPPING THEIR DAMN PLAYS!!  😠

I might have a reading suggestion for Mensa.....

It's your team.  Your coaches.  Your players.  Your direction.  Take some fucking accountability

image_29002f17-1dea-434a-94de-c525ad47b2

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, WBT said:

Why?  We only ran 1:01 off the clock and forced Iowa State to call 1 of their 2 timeouts as it was.  Iowa State wasn't going to run out of time before scoring.  If anything they would have scored too soon if not for us jumping offside on the fg attempt.  If we were going to give up on killing the final 4:01 when we got the ball back, we should have just punted on 1st down to give Sam even more time to lead the game winning drive.

Exactly. Given the awful field position, even if we made ISU burn all 3 timeouts, they still would have had plenty of time to get into FG range and attempt a walk-off kick.

There are so meany reasons why that series was horrible situational football. The passing game was the only thing working in an otherwise putrid performance. Citing last week and a game from two years ago as reasons why his personnel and playcalling "SHOULD HAVE" worked in that situation is indefensible.

Another example of Tom's arrogant "we're gonna just run our stuff cause cause it f-king works" bullshit.

When we accept that Coach Herman is not the guy, Roman should e on our short list. He's been key to success for John and Jim. Perhaps he's not HC material, has skeletons we can't accept or wants no part of chasing HS kids.

bjycisfxcimnhpkltpp7.jpg

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-patriots-greg-roman-20191101-3fnbgr4wbrau3ohopyu5btba5u-story.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Roman

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Just saw this from Inside Texas on tipping plays:

The Inside Scoop    (Justin Wells/Eric Nahlin)

"Herman also seems to think coaching is a 60 minute window on Saturday. Clearly he was out-coached during the week. The Iowa State staff had the Texas staff dead to rights from the opening kick. Things were so bad Cyclones players were taunting Texas players by saying they knew what they were going to run, and all too often, they were right. The same thing happened in the Kansas game and I imagine many others."

Edited by LTtxfan

16 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Just saw this from Inside Texas on tipping plays:

The Inside Scoop    (Justin Wells/Eric Nahlin)

"Herman also seems to think coaching is a 60 minute window on Saturday. Clearly he was out-coached during the week. The Iowa State staff had the Texas staff dead to rights from the opening kick. Things were so bad Cyclones players were taunting Texas players by saying they knew what they were going to run, and all too often, they were right. The same thing happened in the Kansas game and I imagine many others."

I think I saw the Texas Playbook for sale on eBay......no Reserve......Buy It Now for $9.95

Edited by Let 'Em Hang

A few notes:
I spoke with the parents of some starters. The parents and the players really like Herman. It is truly a family atmosphere. They like being here and while there is some in fighting, the reasons are easy to overcome - like corners being upset with the headhunters for missing assignments and not locking up.
A lot of the players (on defense) are second guessing each other. If you are having to worry about your position and covering for another player's missed assignment, you are going to screw up. So, right now there is too much second guessing on defense.
Personally, I don't like the fact that we get no pressure from our defensive front and force our defensive backs to cover for too long. Then, we blitz from random positions rather than using a B Backer built for rushing. And, in the process give up long plays to uncovered players. Basically, we take too much risk with too little return and we run a system that is pretty complicated for younger players.
For me, this means that Herman needs a new DC. Orlando is his man, though, so it may be difficult. I can see the case for keeping Orlando another year to determine if this year was an anomaly. After all, we have had a ton of injuries in the defensive backfield and we really miss G. Johnson. However, considering the amount of returning starters, I really think Herman should cut his losses and not risk his job due to problems with coordinators/position coaches.

Maybe, but what do the Offensive players have to say?

A few notes:
I spoke with the parents of some starters. The parents and the players really like Herman. It is truly a family atmosphere. They like being here and while there is some in fighting, the reasons are easy to overcome - like corners being upset with the headhunters for missing assignments and not locking up.
A lot of the players (on defense) are second guessing each other. If you are having to worry about your position and covering for another player's missed assignment, you are going to screw up. So, right now there is too much second guessing on defense.
Personally, I don't like the fact that we get no pressure from our defensive front and force our defensive backs to cover for too long. Then, we blitz from random positions rather than using a B Backer built for rushing. And, in the process give up long plays to uncovered players. Basically, we take too much risk with too little return and we run a system that is pretty complicated for younger players.
For me, this means that Herman needs a new DC. Orlando is his man, though, so it may be difficult. I can see the case for keeping Orlando another year to determine if this year was an anomaly. After all, we have had a ton of injuries in the defensive backfield and we really miss G. Johnson. However, considering the amount of returning starters, I really think Herman should cut his losses and not risk his job due to problems with coordinators/position coaches.

My problem with this logic it's established that UT Football is arguably the biggest underachieving program in the history of CFB. So giving Tom Herman a pass because of how long it took previous UT head coaches to finally win their 1st conference titles is just continuing that trending of UT Football underachieving.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

27 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

My problem with this logic it's established that UT Football is arguably the biggest underachieving program in the history of CFB. So giving Tom Herman a pass because of how long it took previous UT head coaches to finally win their 1st conference titles is just continuing that trending of UT Football underachieving.

Not to mention, thoee numbers are wrong.  Royal won conference in year 3, Johnny Mac year 4 (shitcanned yr 5). So only Bible and Mack took more than 4 years, and Mack only had 1 4-loss season in his first 12 seasons here. 

tl dr, fuck Tom Herman. 

7 hours ago, Bevo said:

A few notes:

Are you suggesting that last year was a good one for TO? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

The people I spoke with were on the defensive side. So, on offense I can only give my opinion. Personally, I think we have more talent on offense than defense. We have lots of holes on defense. We looked pretty good on offense in our first game but lately production has gone way down. And tOSU has done well with the power spread so it is hard to blame things on scheme. This is opposed to defense where production has declined each year and I think it is because Orlando runs an unsound scheme. So overall, I don't know what to think about our offense. The problems are obvious. We don't have a good intermediate passing game. Sam is pretty average on long balls. We don't run the ball particularly well and our play calling has seemed too predictable. The solutions, though, are a little difficult to determine.

Not shockingly, Herm may be starting to lose the locker room. 

Spoiler

By: Justin Wells and Eric Nahlin

TEAM

A frustrated locker room became much more so after the shorter version of this post-game exchange filtered its way to the players. Question: "Did they just out-coach you today in terms of Xs and Os?" Answer: "No, I'd never say we got out-coached. We continue to make adjustments and they had a couple of wrinkles they adjusted to. We felt like we were putting our guys in good position. But it's really hard to tell without watching the film all the answers to give you. We felt like we were making some sound in-game adjustments."

Perhaps Herman is just saving face for a group of coaches he knows are on the hot seat. Maybe he's telling recruits issues on the coaching staff are being overblown. But when you say you didn't get out-coached, minutes after you got out-coached, it puts the blame on the players. The insinuation is they didn't execute a good game plan or adjustments, but they were there to be made. Accountability is the number one pillar of a strong culture and it should start at the top.

Herman also seems to think coaching is a 60 minute window on Saturday. Clearly he was out-coached during the week. The Iowa State staff had the Texas staff dead to rights from the opening kick. Things were so bad Cyclones players were taunting Texas players by saying they knew what they were going to run, and all too often, they were right. The same thing happened in the Kansas game and I imagine many others.

Player frustration is exacerbated by Herman running such a regimented program. Players are beginning to wonder what are they going through all this for when they're getting beaten by teams with much lesser demands. These players know how other programs are run because they're friends with players from countless different schools. The players feel like they do everything asked of them and it's all for naught. They highly suspect the disconnect is coaching.

While that locker room was the worst its been all season I still expect the team to play with maximum effort versus Baylor. The players don't like that program going back throughout the decade and there are positive incentives to winning out. Nobody wants to return to the Texas Bowl. 

Notes:

Junior Angilau returned to practice on Sunday. I'm unsure if he'll play but he has returned. Josh Thompson is cleared to return but if they play him they are doing him and themselves a huge disservice. The season is over for all intents and purposes; play some younger guys if you absolutely have to. You're messing with another year of school for him, plus he adds value to the 2021 team. 

I asked if any younger guys were making noise on scout team: Tyler Johnsons' play strength was mentioned. It's still unclear if he'll be a tackle or guard but he moves better than Denzel Okafor so we know right tackle is possible. Kennedy Lewis was also mentioned for his speed and ability to make contested catches in the air. On defense, I heard most of the guys are already with the 1st and 2nd teamers but Myron Warren has potential long-term.

Remember when Herman was hired and I said Greg Ward bailed the U of H coaches out of a lot of bad decisions and play calls? They should let Ehlinger do the same. There are some coaching issues behind the scenes that we can only shake our head at but we want to give the staff the benefit of finishing the season and then seeing how Herman responds to those issues.

Back in 2017, I said that all this burnt biscuits and hardass bullshit is great if you are winning and the players have confidence that your methods have a real payoff.  But when it's clear you and your G5 buddies don't really know what the fuck you are talking about, all your antics just seem petty and mean.  

I feel bad for our players.  It would be great if they could get real coaching.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

Exactly. Given the awful field position, even if we made ISU burn all 3 timeouts, they still would have had plenty of time to get into FG range and attempt a walk-off kick.

There are so meany reasons why that series was horrible situational football. The passing game was the only thing working in an otherwise putrid performance. Citing last week and a game from two years ago as reasons why his personnel and playcalling "SHOULD HAVE" worked in that situation is indefensible.

Another example of Tom's arrogant "we're gonna just run our stuff cause cause it f-king works" bullshit.

"Imposing our fucking will," imo.

*rme*

Just now, bschoolprof said:

Not shockingly, Herm may be starting to lose the locker room. 

Hide contents

By: Justin Wells and Eric Nahlin

TEAM

A frustrated locker room became much more so after the shorter version of this post-game exchange filtered its way to the players. Question: "Did they just out-coach you today in terms of Xs and Os?" Answer: "No, I'd never say we got out-coached. We continue to make adjustments and they had a couple of wrinkles they adjusted to. We felt like we were putting our guys in good position. But it's really hard to tell without watching the film all the answers to give you. We felt like we were making some sound in-game adjustments."

Perhaps Herman is just saving face for a group of coaches he knows are on the hot seat. Maybe he's telling recruits issues on the coaching staff are being overblown. But when you say you didn't get out-coached, minutes after you got out-coached, it puts the blame on the players. The insinuation is they didn't execute a good game plan or adjustments, but they were there to be made. Accountability is the number one pillar of a strong culture and it should start at the top.

Herman also seems to think coaching is a 60 minute window on Saturday. Clearly he was out-coached during the week. The Iowa State staff had the Texas staff dead to rights from the opening kick. Things were so bad Cyclones players were taunting Texas players by saying they knew what they were going to run, and all too often, they were right. The same thing happened in the Kansas game and I imagine many others.

Player frustration is exacerbated by Herman running such a regimented program. Players are beginning to wonder what are they going through all this for when they're getting beaten by teams with much lesser demands. These players know how other programs are run because they're friends with players from countless different schools. The players feel like they do everything asked of them and it's all for naught. They highly suspect the disconnect is coaching.

While that locker room was the worst its been all season I still expect the team to play with maximum effort versus Baylor. The players don't like that program going back throughout the decade and there are positive incentives to winning out. Nobody wants to return to the Texas Bowl. 

Notes:

Junior Angilau returned to practice on Sunday. I'm unsure if he'll play but he has returned. Josh Thompson is cleared to return but if they play him they are doing him and themselves a huge disservice. The season is over for all intents and purposes; play some younger guys if you absolutely have to. You're messing with another year of school for him, plus he adds value to the 2021 team. 

I asked if any younger guys were making noise on scout team: Tyler Johnsons' play strength was mentioned. It's still unclear if he'll be a tackle or guard but he moves better than Denzel Okafor so we know right tackle is possible. Kennedy Lewis was also mentioned for his speed and ability to make contested catches in the air. On defense, I heard most of the guys are already with the 1st and 2nd teamers but Myron Warren has potential long-term.

Remember when Herman was hired and I said Greg Ward bailed the U of H coaches out of a lot of bad decisions and play calls? They should let Ehlinger do the same. There are some coaching issues behind the scenes that we can only shake our head at but we want to give the staff the benefit of finishing the season and then seeing how Herman responds to those issues.

Back in 2017, I said that all this burnt biscuits and hardass bullshit is great if you are winning and the players have confidence that your methods have a real payoff.  But when it's clear you and your G5 buddies don't really know what the fuck you are talking about, all your antics just seem petty and mean.  

I feel bad for our players.  It would be great if they could get real coaching.  

Eh, most of that is just the opinion of Wells and Nahlin. They don't have many connections with the program. Of course, players are going to be frustrated. And I do think Orlando should be replaced and some dead weight hires need to go. However, feeling bad for the players: That is just dumb. We have some talent but we still don't have a lot of early round picks on this team. We can't just overpower teams. We aren't that good. These guys need to worry about their play more than worry about the coaching. Honestly, does anyone feel comfortable when we call for a fair catch? Does anyone think we would have a great pass rush with Graham and Roach playing in a more conventional scheme? You would think with all these great "talents" we wouldn't have to hold our breaths on pretty basic stuff.

11 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Eh, most of that is just the opinion of Wells and Nahlin. They don't have many connections with the program. Of course, players are going to be frustrated. And I do think Orlando should be replaced and some dead weight hires need to go. However, feeling bad for the players: That is just dumb. We have some talent but we still don't have a lot of early round picks on this team. We can't just overpower teams. We aren't that good. These guys need to worry about their play more than worry about the coaching. Honestly, does anyone feel comfortable when we call for a fair catch? Does anyone think we would have a great pass rush with Graham and Roach playing in a more conventional scheme? You would think with all these great "talents" we wouldn't have to hold our breaths on pretty basic stuff.

You might be underestimating leadership from the top down and what it can or not do for a players confidence.

We are full of faux confidence though, M. Roach is perfect example. Mind-fuck coaches is how you get RB's forgetting how to run or HS AA's not being able to field a fair catch without shitting themselves. Leadership and coaching matters, teams who play slow and tentative are a direct reflection of poor coaching. 

15 minutes ago, Goodman said:

You might be underestimating leadership from the top down and what it can or not do for a players confidence.

We are full of faux confidence though, M. Roach is perfect example. Mind-fuck coaches is how you get RB's forgetting how to run or HS AA's not being able to field a fair catch without shitting themselves. Leadership and coaching matters, teams who play slow and tentative are a direct reflection of poor coaching. 

You can blame coaches all you want (Orlando, Meh, and a few others deserve it) but don't think for a minute that we have a bunch of early round NFL picks on the team.

21 minutes ago, Bevo said:

You can blame coaches all you want (Orlando, Meh, and a few others deserve it) but don't think for a minute that we have a bunch of early round NFL picks on the team.

All the coaches, starting with Herman, deserve the blame.  And who said we have first round picks?  We don't have any mainly because we've had shit development for the last 10 years.  Still, we have light years more talent than Iowa State.  Talent is not the issue.  

I guess by your logic the players just need to man up and stop:

1) calling all out blitzes on 3rd and long from 15 yards off the LOS

2) playing soft coverage on obvious passing downs

3) designing our run game with zero misdirection 

4) calling QB power on 4th down when it hasn't worked in ages

5) keeping our shitty TE's on the field when everyone knows they are shitty

etc etc etc.

If we gave these guys real coaches, instead of grabass group of 5 clowns, we'd likely be 9-1.  

Edited by bschoolprof
  • Like 6

17 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I'm not agreeing with you, but if we're truly lacking that badly in talent 3 years into TH whose fault is that?

The people I spoke with were on the defensive side. So, on offense I can only give my opinion. Personally, I think we have more talent on offense than defense. We have lots of holes on defense. We looked pretty good on offense in our first game but lately production has gone way down. And tOSU has done well with the power spread so it is hard to blame things on scheme. This is opposed to defense where production has declined each year and I think it is because Orlando runs an unsound scheme. So overall, I don't know what to think about our offense. The problems are obvious. We don't have a good intermediate passing game. Sam is pretty average on long balls. We don't run the ball particularly well and our play calling has seemed too predictable. The solutions, though, are a little difficult to determine.

Watch out. You’ll send up the Burt signal. Orlando has a sound scheme. Just ask.

20 minutes ago, Bevo said:

This is flat out stupid.  poor coaching in unsound systems will always obscure talent.
We have a ton of talent on this team, but it’s a combination of poor coaching and most of our best talent being young. 
Cosmi and Duvernay are both top 3 round guys. Guys like Sterns and Foster would be early round picks if they were coached well in a system that had any coherency. Smith and Whittington have NFL athleticism if they can get coached up during their time here. Ossai, Coburn, Jamison, Green, Ojomo are all candidates. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Watch out. You’ll send up the Burt signal. Orlando has a sound scheme. Just ask.

Your stupid is showing again. The 3 tite is a sound defensive scheme. Orlando’s coaching of it is unsound. It’s not a difficult distinction to comprehend. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas