Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is flat out stupid.  poor coaching in unsound systems will always obscure talent.
We have a ton of talent on this team, but it’s a combination of poor coaching and most of our best talent being young. 
Cosmi and Duvernay are both top 3 round guys. Guys like Sterns and Foster would be early round picks if they were coached well in a system that had any coherency. Smith and Whittington have NFL athleticism if they can get coached up during their time here. Ossai, Coburn, Jamison, Green, Ojomo are all candidates. 

Tell me about Shack, Brewer, Graham, Roach, Cook, Adeoye, Mitchell. Do you remember in 2005 when Dan Fouts said there weren't any dogs on the field? Well, if those guys played in 2005, we would have lost. Talent wise we are improving, but we aren't there yet. And most of our talent is young. But you can't ignore the fact that we still are starting a lot of guys who may not be starting on teams we consider inferior. Our whole linebacker team outside of Ossai (who should be rushing the passer every down) is trash. And a third of the players you mentioned, such as Whittington and Smith, probably shouldn't be playing more than spot roles right now and another third such as Sterns and Foster are having subpar years due to playing injured (and having a crappy pass rush and poor scheme).  This does not mean that Orlando is good: He sucks. But, don't think that if we had a top DC that our problems would go away. It would just mean that we would go from the bottom third of defenses to the top third. To move beyond that, we need more guys like Collins and Ringo, and Floyd and to move away from Adeoye and Mitchell.

46 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Man, if you can’t figure out when you’re being trolled, I’m not sure what to tel you.

28 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Man, if you can’t figure out when you’re being trolled, I’m not sure what to tel you.

You can say that again!

28 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Tell me about Shack, Brewer, Graham, Roach, Cook, Adeoye, Mitchell. Do you remember in 2005 when Dan Fouts said there weren't any dogs on the field? Well, if those guys played in 2005, we would have lost. Talent wise we are improving, but we aren't there yet. And most of our talent is young. But you can't ignore the fact that we still are starting a lot of guys who may not be starting on teams we consider inferior. Our whole linebacker team outside of Ossai (who should be rushing the passer every down) is trash. And a third of the players you mentioned, such as Whittington and Smith, probably shouldn't be playing more than spot roles right now and another third such as Sterns and Foster are having subpar years due to playing injured (and having a crappy pass rush and poor scheme).  This does not mean that Orlando is good: He sucks. But, don't think that if we had a top DC that our problems would go away. It would just mean that we would go from the bottom third of defenses to the top third. To move beyond that, we need more guys like Collins and Ringo, and Floyd and to move away from Adeoye and Mitchell.

Using 2005 as the standard for whether our team has talent is quite the moving of the goalposts.

And if we went from bottom third in the nation in defense to top third, we’d be like 9-1 or 10-0 right now, so yeah, most problems solved right there.

Edited by Burt Macklin

We haven't used two backs a lot this year, but over the course of the season I'd say there have been five or six drives featuring two backs - and it seems like it has almost always been successful.

When your running game is sucking hind tit, and your quarterback is being blitzed out the ass, and you're not moving the ball  - that isn't the time to continue running the same fucking sets that haven't been working. A good coach is going to look at what works, and he's going to use it more - and build on it.

Fifty yards rushing against Iowa State? Iowa Fucking State? What self-respecting running back is going to commit to that kind of mindless fucking coaching?.Herman is too inexperienced, or just too dense. It seems that he doesn't know what to do when a team throws something new at him. I get the feeling that instead of dictating to his OC, he just exchanges a few ideas and then they pull a play out of their asses.

I don't think we'll see a Big 12 title during his tenure.

8 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

You can say that again!

Using 2005 as the standard for whether our team has talent is quite the moving of the goalposts.

And if we went from bottom third in the nation in defense to top third, we’d be like 9-1 or 10-0 right now, so yeah, most problems solved right there.

No, when you are 30th in defense you still have a couple of losses. You are crazy if you think that our players with a great DC are anything better than that. Again our linebackers suck. I don't even think that they are middle of the pack in the Big 12. Our defensive backs are good talent wise but the lack of a shutdown corner this year and injuries keep them from being great. Actually, those injuries kind of move us to average or below with Sterns, Foster, Green and the others either out or playing hurt. Our interior line on defense is good but they are young and our defensive ends are average. Ossai is kind of a wildcard as he isn't great in coverage as a LB and he doesn't have the weight yet for DE. But I think most would agree that he would look a lot better with a new DC.

you are trolling in a way that sounds like you think he's wrong

Not really. He’s stated that the 3 tite scheme is sound because other places have ran it with success. Personally, I’m not a fan of it, but I do realize it can work. Orlando’s version of it is garbage. There’s no denying or pushing blame on injuries.

When the majority of the posters here say something about the defensive scheme, they’re meaning Orlando’s shitstorm. Burt constantly wants to argue the other way around. In short, fuck Todd Orlando.

16 hours ago, Goodman said:

When we accept that Coach Herman is not the guy, Roman should e on our short list. He's been key to success for John and Jim. Perhaps he's not HC material, has skeletons we can't accept or wants no part of chasing HS kids.

bjycisfxcimnhpkltpp7.jpg

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-patriots-greg-roman-20191101-3fnbgr4wbrau3ohopyu5btba5u-story.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Roman

are you insinuating that a guy who has been a coach for 24 years, has never been a head coach and has never been a college coordinator is someone that should be considered for the University of Texas coaching job?

again. he has *never* been a head coach, but can step in to a major HC job at any school, much less Texas/USC/etc?

oh come on arrested development GIF

46 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Not really. He’s stated that the 3 tite scheme is sound because other places have ran it with success. Personally, I’m not a fan of it, but I do realize it can work. Orlando’s version of it is garbage. There’s no denying or pushing blame on injuries.

When the majority of the posters here say something about the defensive scheme, they’re meaning Orlando’s shitstorm. Burt constantly wants to argue the other way around. In short, fuck Todd Orlando.

Lulz. This isn’t true at all.

My comments about it were directly in response to posters saying the 3 tite scheme itself could never work. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

How many of our losses are on our defense and how many on our offense?

id say the lsu game was on our D

the ou game was on our O

the tcu game was on our.... ?

the isu game was on our O

regardless, we wont get more than 20 points against baylor. Defense gonna have to bail the offense out if we wanna win this week

the ou game was on our O

regardless, we wont get more than 20 points against baylor. Defense gonna have to bail the offense out if we wanna win this week

The OU game was on our offense? I think that both units failed that day.
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

the ou game was on our O

LSU - first half offense (7 points scored, twice came away with nothing in the 10 yard line); 2nd half defense (25 points given up, especially the backbreaker TD)
OU - first half offense (3 fucking points), 2nd half defense (24 points given up and consistently getting burned on the edge) 
TCU - everyone sucked
ISU - offense and special teams

• Like 3

Herman's ego can't be too pleased seeing the reports that Iowa State knew the plays pre-snap due to the predictability / tipping based on formation....considering his genius and all.

I may be wrong, but it would not shock me in the least if we don't see an uptick in illegal formation, motion, and delay of game penalties if he's hurriedly trying to add window dressing to the base plays this week.  

Running your base offense out of multiple formations and with motion window dressing is good football, but that shit should have been installed in camp, and not in late November after being held to 50-something rushing yards by a defense which was evidently taunting the offense that they knew what was coming.

1 hour ago, Reagan1k said:

Herman's ego can't be too pleased seeing the reports that Iowa State knew the plays pre-snap due to the predictability / tipping based on formation....considering his genius and all.

I may be wrong, but it would not shock me in the least if we don't see an uptick in illegal formation, motion, and delay of game penalties if he's hurriedly trying to add window dressing to the base plays this week.  

Running your base offense out of multiple formations and with motion window dressing is good football, but that shit should have been installed in camp, and not in late November after being held to 50-something rushing yards by a defense which was evidently taunting the offense that they knew what was coming.

Don't believe every piece of 9.95 fan fiction you read

Don't believe every piece of 9.95 fan fiction you read

Most posters on this board have seen enough from the offense to be able to guess what’s coming. That’s just from watching the game on Saturday. I’d imagine the posters that actually have a clue about how to break down what’s happening are probably really good at deciding. Imagine what a good staff with tons of film study can learn.

19 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

On the “impose our will” thing, that is pretty much never the hallmark of a great offensive system, not even in run heavy offenses. Go back and watch Texas and OU wishbone teams, Nebraska under Osborne, or any of the great spread option offenses more recently.  They are all full of misdirection and varied rushing attacks.  They’re running the option instead of crashing some poor back head first into a brick wall for a reason.   It’s dumb to make yourself work harder trying to just straight up outmuscle someone instead of trying to get an advantage.

Yeah there is this legend that Vince Lombardi's Green Bay Packers just ran the sweep over and over again and nobody could stop  it. Of course you can watch lectures given by Coach Lombardi on youtube where he explains all the many ways the sweep exploited defenses' efforts to stop it. It was not a simple "impose our will" situation, it was getting the defense to react to you and then you exploit them just like any offensive coach would/should do.

5 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Don’t kid yourself. He’s perfectly fine with everyone watching knowing exactly what’s coming every snap. That’s what he wants. He’s not fine with that that Texas can’t move the ball if they know though. That falls under the impose their will bullshit he trots our.

Ah the old “don’t weather the storm, be the storm” mentality.  Too bad storms are predictable and they end.

22 hours ago, Bevo said:

It would just mean that we would go from the bottom third of defenses to the top third.

That sounds like a home run

13 hours ago, Bevo said:

No, when you are 30th in defense you still have a couple of losses.

I think LSU'S defense ranks in the 40s right now

10 hours ago, G650 said:

That sounds like a home run

I think LSU'S defense ranks in the 40s right now

Maybe top 40 then. LSU has a lot more talent on defense than we do. And we would kill for Aranda who is widely considered a top DC. The downside to Aranda though is that he looks like Orlando and runs the same scheme. The upside to Aranda is that he doesn't do a lot of the stupid shit Orlando does.

12 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

It’s not rocket science.  We don’t run counters and we don’t run outside (I mean, I’m sure we have them in the playbook, but we don’t actually call them in games), and we line up in the shotgun with the back offset to one side of the QB instead of in the pistol.  So, if it is a handoff, you basically know which side the RB is going toward, and which gaps are going to be attacked.  Plus, the RB really does often line up deeper on runs than when it’s a pass play, so they even get a tip on when it’s run vs. pass.  

The running scheme is really lazy.  The passing scheme is also pretty lazy and straightforward when we aren’t working a lot of playaction and RPOs.   We have isolated plays where we do something clever, but our base offense is very much into the “impose our will” mindset, almost like we consciously try not to do things that would put defenders in conflict or keep them guessing with misdirection except in special situations.  We are getting bailed out by having a good QB and good WRs that can make the passing game work for the most part.

On the “impose our will” thing, that is pretty much never the hallmark of a great offensive system, not even in run heavy offenses. Go back and watch Texas and OU wishbone teams, Nebraska under Osborne, or any of the great spread option offenses more recently.  They are all full of misdirection and varied rushing attacks.  They’re running the option instead of crashing some poor back head first into a brick wall for a reason.   It’s dumb to make yourself work harder trying to just straight up outmuscle someone instead of trying to get an advantage.

I’m convinced some modern offensive coaches blow off putting any real thought into the running game because they can get away with just calling inside zone and outside zone, and nobody will question it. 

It's pretty much exactly what I used to do in NCAA when I was feeling lazy as shit.

Edited by Bevo14

Maybe top 40 then. LSU has a lot more talent on defense than we do. And we would kill for Aranda who is widely considered a top DC. The downside to Aranda though is that he looks like Orlando and runs the same scheme. The upside to Aranda is that he doesn't do a lot of the stupid shit Orlando does.

Aranda will be the next big head coach.

Herman is not an innovator. The only time he even considers changing something or adding a twist or two is AFTER a loss. So automatically, we are doomed to lose three games a year because he will run up against smarter coaches who may not have the talent, but they'll have Herman's number. We may finish strong, but we won't finish on top.

7 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Herman is not an innovator. The only time he even considers changing something or adding a twist or two is AFTER a loss. So automatically, we are doomed to lose three games a year because he will run up against smarter coaches who may not have the talent, but they'll have Herman's number. We may finish strong, but we won't finish on top.

He learned from the same guy who wouldn't play talented freshman until after an OU buttfucking.  So that's not a surprise. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

It’s not rocket science.  We don’t run counters and we don’t run outside (I mean, I’m sure we have them in the playbook, but we don’t actually call them in games), and we line up in the shotgun with the back offset to one side of the QB instead of in the pistol.  So, if it is a handoff, you basically know which side the RB is going toward, and which gaps are going to be attacked.  Plus, the RB really does often line up deeper on runs than when it’s a pass play, so they even get a tip on when it’s run vs. pass.   The running scheme is really lazy.  The passing scheme is also pretty lazy and straightforward when we aren’t working a lot of playaction and RPOs.   We have isolated plays where we do something clever, but our base offense is very much into the “impose our will” mindset, almost like we consciously try not to do things that would put defenders in conflict or keep them guessing with misdirection except in special situations.  We are getting bailed out by having a good QB and good WRs that can make the passing game work for the most part.

I’m convinced some modern offensive coaches blow off putting any real thought into the running game because they can get away with just calling inside zone and outside zone, and nobody will question it. 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

On 11/18/2019 at 9:48 PM, satyanash said:

Plenty of defenses blitz DBs and do so very well. Why should we be content as an outlier?

I think the first half of this video is worth watching for everybody. It talks about how Belichik is using Cover 0 on the NFL's best defense and the principles he follows when blitzing. Todd should watch it at the very least. 

Like satya is pointing out here, the issue isn't just the blitz calls, it's how they're coached. The calls are predictable, which means the offense sees it coming and makes the proper protection adjustments so that there are available blockers. But then our LBs and DBs are just running straight in to those blockers because they haven't been coached to properly time and space themselves.

I was unsure of my position on Orlando until the K-State game. Even though KSU and ISU have been our two best defensive performances, they're the games that have sunk my opinion of Orlando. Our guys are playing better individually, but Orlando is still putting them in really bad positions even with a bye week to fix himself. 

• Like 1

Just some light reading from SI......SIAP

Forde-Yard Dash: Herman Still Has a Long Way to Go Before Texas Is Back

It’s been all about Baylor in the Lone Star State this season, as the Longhorns find themselves in the midst of another middling season.
PAT FORDE
NOV 19, 2019
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Forty names, games, teams and minutiae making news in college football (heart medicine sold separately in Ames, where five out of 10 games have been decided by three points or less):

MORE DASH: Tua Injury Fallout | Comeback Stories | Pivotal Division Games

FOURTH QUARTER 

WE HAVE THIS UPDATE: TEXAS IS NOT BACK

Beware the fan base that reads too much into a non-playoff bowl victory. When Texas (31) handled a sulking Georgia team last year in the Sugar Bowl, a fan base exhausted by a decade-long malaise went ahead and proclaimed it: the Longhorns would be back as a national power in 2019. The Top 25 voters, addicted to brand names, bought in, ranked them in the top 10 entering the season despite significant losses on defense.

Everyone was, once again, wrong. Texas is not back, not close to back, and there is no reason to believe it will be back until proving it in games that actually matter.

After losing to Iowa State Saturday, the Longhorns are a pedestrian 6–4 and a pedestrian 4–3 in the Big 12. They are 23–14 overall under Tom Herman (32), and 16–10 in the league. While that is certainly an improvement over the Charlie Strong body of work (16–21, 12–15 Big 12), it is nearly identical to the last three seasons under Mack Brown (33), which were considered major disappointments. Brown was 25–14 overall, 16–11 in the league.

It also puts Herman pretty much in line with the other Big 12 coaches not named Lincoln Riley who have been in the conference since 2017. Oklahoma State’s Mike Gundy is 24–12, 13–12; TCU’s Gary Patterson is 23–14, 14–12; Iowa State’s Matt Campbell is 22–14, 15–10; and Baylor’s Matt Rhule is 17–18, 11–14.

With nearly a three-year body of work, there is no discernible difference between the Longhorns under Herman and the rest of the upper-middle class of the Big 12. Everyone is chasing Oklahoma in a muddled pack.

Thing is, there is supposed to be a difference between Texas and the rest of the upper-middle class. The recruiting rankings suggest that there should be. The tradition screams that there should be. The results aren’t there.

Even the game-by-game results reinforce the fact that Texas is not operating on a different level. Under Herman, 15 out of 26 conference games have been decided by one score or less. Average score of the Horns’ Big 12 games this season: Texas 32.9, opponents 32.4. Three of the past four have been decided by a field goal on the final play.

Currently, Baylor is the Lone Star State team putting together a special season. Texas has a chance to do damage to that Saturday in Waco, and to keep its own conference title hopes alive. But anything short of a surprise Big 12 title game appearance and upset of Oklahoma will be viewed as coming up short in 2019.

None of this means Texas will never be back under Herman. It does mean that the Longhorns have a long way yet to go. And it means that they should have to prove they’re back before saying they’re back.

25 minutes ago, Let 'Em Hang said:

Yep......if you have to tell everyone you're a badass......you're probably not one.

That smug mother fucker Joe Tessitore uttered those words when Swoopes plunged into the endzone beating a 4-8 Notre Dame team 50-47 in 2OT.  Yeah people used it to make fun of us when we went 5-7 and 7-6 the next two years, but we didn't 'own it' per se.  Sam saying at the Sugar Bowl 4 years after the fact makes us fucking own it and unfortunately will be Sam's legacy if he wins nothing else. 

16 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

That smug mother fucker Joe Tessitore uttered those words when Swoopes plunged into the endzone beating a 4-8 Notre Dame team 50-47 in 2OT.  Yeah people used it to make fun of us when we went 5-7 and 7-6 the next two years, but we didn't 'own it' per se.  Sam saying at the Sugar Bowl 4 years after the fact makes us fucking own it and unfortunately will be Sam's legacy if he wins nothing else. 

Yeah, no indictment of Sam though, he said it in a spur-of-the-moment situation, and it happens.  Plus he's a young man and well, they are gonna say some things they may later regret.  My problem with it is all the "grown-ups" that also said it, based on pretty much the Sugar Bowl game.  

When we start CONSISTENTLY winning conference titles, start CONSISTENTLY get in the running for the playoffs, and CONSISTENTLY win the games we should, then I might think we're "Back"......been a Longhorn fan since I was 8 (in 1968) and I've seen too much BS to believe hype and big talk.  Prove it on the field.  With TH, without him, I don't give a damn.  Just man up as a Team (coaches and players) and get it done.

• Like 4

Though it is Wednesday and we need to move forward,  Brian Davis  has a good article with fan emails. (excerpts)

Tom Herman is going to be the Texas coach in 2020.

No, the school is not hiring Urban Meyer. Full stop.

As for Herman himself, the university just handed out a two-year contract extension for the Sugar Bowl win — bidding against itself, I might add — and will not eat a buyout worth more than $20 million at the moment.

What was the harm in waiting until after the coach’s third year of a five-year deal to give him a raise or extension? Oh well. What’s done is done. Herman is now signed through 2023.

Q. Don’t you get tired of Tom Herman always saying “really, really”. Really really seems to be his favorite phrase in describing almost anything including but not limited to his opponent and his own team.

This fan is really, really tired of seeing Tom Herman’s team being out coached week after week.  I’m really, really tired of babbling nonsense of why he and his coaching staff can’t coach up good talent. It’s getting really, really old hearing that “Everything Matters” except on Saturday. 

Don’t you know that the fans and administration in Baton Rouge are really, really happy that Texas won the Tom Herman sweepstakes. — Bill

These are really, really interesting thoughts. Every coach leans on verbal crutches at times, and as a beat reporter, you eventually tune it out. With Mack Brown, every opponent always “scares you to death.” With Charlie Strong, the Horns “just need to execute better.” My only real issue with Herman’s press conference verbiage is this idea he “doesn’t know who we play next.”

Really? The Texas football CEO should at least acknowledge who’s on the schedule. But this is the same coach who refused to call a Ray Guy Award winner by his name — punter Michael Dickson. It was just “the punter,” same as Cameron Dicker is just “our kicker.” To each their own, I suppose.

Q. Saturday’s conservative end game play calling by the offense and the inexcusable defensive encroachment on the field goal brings to mind a statement by former football coach Lou Holtz. “Dumb loses more games than smart wins.” This quote should be posted in the locker room for coaches and players alike to see. — John Nugent, Georgetown

Q. You can’t blame Tom Herman for the defense jumping offsides. They should be well aware in not doing that. — J.D.

No, you can’t blame Herman directly for the mistakes of an 18-to-22-year old athlete. But you can blame him and his coaching staff for not having the Horns prepared for a hard snap count.

“I noticed throughout the game that they were timing our cadence,” Iowa State snapper Steve Wirtel said after the game, according to Randy Peterson of the Des Moines Register. “We gave our cadence, and in my peripheral vision at the time, I saw No. (46) jump. I snapped it at the time. He jumped offside, and I saw our guys engage with him. They were keying on our cadence throughout the game.

“When I saw that color (of uniform) break the plane, I snapped it,” Wirtel added. “I heard the ref say offside, (46) on white. The rest was history.”

Pretty good coaching, I’d say.

Q. Maybe the recruiting rankings are bull. Maybe some 16- and 17-year olds have greater potential. Maybe some have more heart. Maybe some can’t be bought with million dollar locker rooms, or maybe the ones who can aren’t the type of kid you want. I love Iowa State for who we are and what we represent. Let the recruiting magazines fleece their readers and subscribers with presumptions and forecasts. I’m fine with that. I’ll take our humble, focused,  dedicated kids and coaches over spoiled, indulged and entitled players any day. Hope some day we aren’t looked down on. Have a great day. — Dan

This was my direct response to Dan’s email: “Fantastic email and thought. Hang on to Matt Campbell as long as you can.”

https://www.hookem.com/story/whys-texas-tom-herman-isnt-going-anywhere-big-decisions-loom-2020/

Edited by torre

Fact or Fiction: Tom Herman has Texas moving backward

Farrell’s take: FICTION. While Texas fans are not happy with the 6-4 record, this is still a program that is moving forward under its head coach. However, he will have to make some staff changes to push ahead further.

Texas will likely finish 7-5 if we assume a loss at Baylor and a home win against Texas Tech. For a team that was supposed to challenge for the Big 12 title this season, that's not good.

But I like what I see in recruiting compared to the Charlie Strong era and this roster has more talent that just isn't being coached up. Yes, that's ultimately on the head coach and if it doesn't turn around next season he could be gone, but I'm comparing this version of Texas to Strong's and not Mack Brown's. Some staff changes will help. Herman is still the right hire and I'm not pushing the panic button.

Gorney’s take: FACT. When Texas beat Georgia in the Sugar Bowl to end last season, the hype was that the Longhorns would beat Oklahoma the following year and could possibly be the Big 12 representative in the College Football Playoff. Every Texas fan was giddy.

And now the Longhorns are sitting at a miserable 6-4 after losing at Iowa State, which should never happen, losing at TCU by 10 two weeks before that, which should never happen, almost losing to Kansas, which should never, ever, ever happen and, oh yeah, Oklahoma beat them, too. So did LSU but at least at that point in the season Texas looked like a real national threat.

The best thing that could have ever happened to Herman are the Strong years because fans remember just how bad and ugly it could get. Herman could very well be the answer to make Texas a national player again but the Longhorns are not going in the right direction.

Edited by LTtxfan

Forde-Yard Dash: Herman Still Has a Long Way to Go Before Texas Is Back

It’s been all about Baylor in the Lone Star State this season, as the Longhorns find themselves in the midst of another middling season.

PAT FORDE.   NOV 19, 2019

WE HAVE THIS UPDATE: TEXAS IS NOT BACK

Beware the fan base that reads too much into a non-playoff bowl victory. When Texas (31) handled a sulking Georgia team last year in the Sugar Bowl, a fan base exhausted by a decade-long malaise went ahead and proclaimed it: the Longhorns would be back as a national power in 2019. The Top 25 voters, addicted to brand names, bought in, ranked them in the top 10 entering the season despite significant losses on defense.

Everyone was, once again, wrong. Texas is not back, not close to back, and there is no reason to believe it will be back until proving it in games that actually matter.

After losing to Iowa State Saturday, the Longhorns are a pedestrian 6–4 and a pedestrian 4–3 in the Big 12. They are 23–14 overall under Tom Herman (32), and 16–10 in the league. While that is certainly an improvement over the Charlie Strong body of work (16–21, 12–15 Big 12), it is nearly identical to the last three seasons under Mack Brown (33), which were considered major disappointments. Brown was 25–14 overall, 16–11 in the league.

It also puts Herman pretty much in line with the other Big 12 coaches not named Lincoln Riley who have been in the conference since 2017. Oklahoma State’s Mike Gundy is 24–12, 13–12; TCU’s Gary Patterson is 23–14, 14–12; Iowa State’s Matt Campbell is 22–14, 15–10; and Baylor’s Matt Rhule is 17–18, 11–14.

With nearly a three-year body of work, there is no discernible difference between the Longhorns under Herman and the rest of the upper-middle class of the Big 12. Everyone is chasing Oklahoma in a muddled pack.

Thing is, there is supposed to be a difference between Texas and the rest of the upper-middle class. The recruiting rankings suggest that there should be. The tradition screams that there should be. The results aren’t there.

Even the game-by-game results reinforce the fact that Texas is not operating on a different level. Under Herman, 15 out of 26 conference games have been decided by one score or less. Average score of the Horns’ Big 12 games this season: Texas 32.9, opponents 32.4. Three of the past four have been decided by a field goal on the final play.

Currently, Baylor is the Lone Star State team putting together a special season. Texas has a chance to do damage to that Saturday in Waco, and to keep its own conference title hopes alive. But anything short of a surprise Big 12 title game appearance and upset of Oklahoma will be viewed as coming up short in 2019.

None of this means Texas will never be back under Herman. It does mean that the Longhorns have a long way yet to go. And it means that they should have to prove they’re back before saying they’re back.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

On 11/18/2019 at 11:13 AM, Asithappens said:

All this fire Herman is just horseshit, imo. Yeah, the horns haven't looked great the past few games. It takes work. Maybe Tom ultimately isn't the guy, maybe he is.

Way behind and catching up.  I don't want to be "negative" and post a poll that proves the postulate that 99% of this board now agrees that Tom Is Not The Guy.  So i'm going to keep the list manually.

People on this board, who are not yet convinced that Tom Is Not The Guy, that I have seen post to that effect:

Asithappens, Dad, SkipperJ

11 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Way behind and catching up.  I don't want to be "negative" and post a poll that proves the postulate that 99% of this board now agrees that Tom Is Not The Guy.  So i'm going to keep the list manually.

People on this board, who are not yet convinced that Tom Is Not The Guy, that I have seen post to that effect:

Asithappens, Dad, SkipperJ

Which one of those is cdt23?

• Haha 1

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas