Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

11 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

this is going to end just like the others.  Herman has never had to fire an entire staff(or at least a bunch of them) before.  No one worth a shit is going to jump on this car wreck for a guy who has no idea how to be a head coach.

I agree. His opportunity to replace his staff has passed. No decent coordinator is going to want to put on a sinking ship.

If we fire his staff, he probably needs to go to.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, BurntOrangeSatire, LLC said:

So... this is shaping up to be a rather fantastical nose dive in a recent memory that is full of spectacularly feces ladened nose dives. From losing by a score to LSU and ou to... whatever this is. Par for the course I suppose? At least Herman gave us last year to heap some hope on as opposed to Charlie who manages only do it against the domers. Progress I suppose? The fuck happened between ou and Kansas? Injuries and loss of starters I can buy. But if a system is effective on either side of the ball, truly effective, then there's a semblance of continuity when you lose players to injury or to the league. So what in the fuck am I watching week in and week out? Besides a continuity of regression. That's a coaching problem. It's the coaching problem we've endured for 3 straight regimes now. We gave Herman an extension and Orlando a fat pay raise. What they put on the field this season was a half-assed, half-baked, narcissistic belief that they had it alllll figured out.

Yet I'm not surprised. Dude couldn't beat Maryland in two outings. For all his cockiness, Herman can't rise above this "We're Texas" mentality that has been plaguing us for more than a decade now. In fact, he's basically embodying it at this point. Seems like he expected to roll out his team and they'll win because he's in charge. Team can't tackle, can't execute, can't take a punch in the mouth, can't deal with adversity, can't deal with being down, CANNOT GET UP TO PLAY ANY SINGLE OPPONENT. Baylor was in shambles 3 seasons ago and they just punched a ticket to the ship against ou. Besides the fact that this staff has demonstrated a lack of ability to put our players in situations where they can be successful, which is obvious by how teams have been fucking our defense up and bottling up our offense at an exponential rate every week, the players seem to be more aware of just how unprepared and how ill coached they are. Shirts for this year should just read "Texas Football: Whelp..." with an empty bottle of tequila and a dead hooker on the back. I seriously don't even give a fuck anymore. It's legitimate, textbook apathy at this point. It's kind of hilarious how Strong had a historically horrible run here and then Herman manages to put this season together. 

Saddest part is the program is yet again left with its hands in its pockets and only offering up a shoulder shrug and a "maybe next year" muttered under their breath. But hey... Midland played at DKR and bevo blvd is kinda tight so... 

You are right on. We should have expected a somewhat rough start around 3-2/4-2 record and show some consistency and improve. Young teams with talent under a halfway decent coach improves over the year. We have gotten worse.

Surly on the cutting edge.  This is coming together about how I planned, after the two Kansas games.  Lose by 3 touchdowns to Baylor, which in all reality did happen.  Next step is a 5 year low attendance at the last home game.  The final step is to lose the bowl game by 4 tds.

if all that happens, somebody will decide to make the change.  Anything less and wait until the same show next year and then he is gone.  

You really don’t have to use any metric other than today’s debacle as exhibit a in dumping the whole staff. Baylor was close to being shut down. We hired one of the hottest names as a head coach at the time while Baylor hired what we all thought was a decent stop gap guy to impose a little stability to a program on the brink of extinction. You know the rest.

11 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

Surly on the cutting edge.  This is coming together about how I planned, after the two Kansas games.  Lose by 3 touchdowns to Baylor, which in all reality did happen.  Next step is a 5 year low attendance at the last home game.  The final step is to lose the bowl game by 4 tds.

if all that happens, somebody will decide to make the change.  Anything less and wait until the same show next year and then he is gone.  

If we wait until after the bowl game to pull the plug then you can forget about Urban Meyer, and have probably already fucked over whoever the next coach is with his first recruiting class.

Just now, longhornmatt said:

Herman is incapable of acting like a grownup.  It’s just embarrassing at this point.   It’s like he watches movies of how coaches are supposed to act instead of the real world.  

Hint: Nick Saban and Bill Belichick are famous for simply making players focus on process and doing their jobs, not for gimmicky bullshit.

Tough & dumb will never get it done here.

Sometimes you have to wander in the wilderness.  When you are obviously saddled with a loser, or an incompatible individual, cur the cord and start searching and when you find (1) a proven winner (2) with serious HC experience, then go get him, whatever it takes.  After the sad later Stallings years, we at Bama endured Mike DuBose (sacked after affair with ath dept secretary), Dennis Franchione (never signed, bailed to Aggies when probation hit), Mike Price (fired after Pensacola stippers scandal), and Mike Shula (nuce guy, not a head coach) before we got lucky.  If LSU had been open in '07, we might still be looking.  If Urbs is best available, go get his ass but I think he may be hexed.  WTF happened since the Sugar Bowl?  I saw Texas as top 5 this year.

33 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I agree. His opportunity to replace his staff has passed. No decent coordinator is going to want to put on a sinking ship.

If we fire his staff, he probably needs to go to.

After Charlie missed his chance, didn't we have to pay a premium to bring in  a couple of West Texas OC types who stayed a year until STrong was fired?

4 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

After Charlie missed his chance, didn't we have to pay a premium to bring in  a couple of West Texas OC types who stayed a year until STrong was fired?

Yes. I would rather not go hat in hand to beg second rate G5 coordinators to please come coach at Texas again.

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas