Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

22 minutes ago, horngasm2020 said:

Harsin is about to be 10-1

and I doubt he wants to come to Texas at this point.

12 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Now that this year’s offense has devolved into a coat hanger abortion, Harsin’s 2012 offense is pretty much the only good offense we’ve had in the years after Mack’s teams no longer had overwhelming talent advantages.   Harsin is also a professional with a functional adult’s intelligence and maturity level, which gives him the leg up on Charlie and Tom.  

I think he would be better than them, but we need to aim higher than the G5 roulette wheel.  Look to Meyer first, and then power 5 coaches and NFL coaches second.

Let's be honest, Harsin would be a homerun hire at this point. Meyer's not going to be on the list. You're going to be looking at guys like Matt Campbell, Harsin, Row the Boat dude, maybe Jim Mora. Doubt it's possible but Whittingham should be a guy that gets a look, too.

Edited by Llogg

13 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

It wouldn’t be a successful head NFL coach.  It would be a coordinator or a coach that gets fired or is struggling, like Carroll, Harbaugh, Petrino and Saban when they left the NFL.  

☝️

Saban and Carroll were mediocre to awful NFL coaches when they were hired. Not saying we should target an idiot like Hue Jackson, but someone mediocre, the kind of guy who would be like 9-7 every year in the NFL...

hey wait i got an idea

• Haha 1

I think Harsin would be a good choice.  He has enough years in G5 under his belt.  seem no bullshit, the O would be competent pretty much every year, and he seems to value Defense.  concerned he'd look like Petersen at Wash but that would be an upgrade from the last 2 shitshows for sure.

So...about Harsin:

Does anybody remember when he was an assistant here under Mack?  Toward the end, he made a comment, something to the effect of how he was looking forward to getting back to a situation that was just about football again?  Reading between the lines, it was implied that he hated the circus that surrounded this program.

I think Harsin would be a damn good coach, but he is basically a god in Boise.  Boise State is his alma mater, and probably his dream job.  I think he is much like Patterson at TCU.  I don't see him coming here, no matter how much money someone wants to throw at him.

Honestly Herman ain't it, but I don't even know whom Texas would hire who would be worth a shit who would come here right now.  I guess I'm getting too old for this shit...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bellboy said:

How embarrassing would it be to know that somebody is willing to throwaway 40 million just to have you take your lame*** bubble blowing act to your new job as a Mensa Test Tutor. 

I could live with that embarrassment for $40 million.  Heck, for that kind of cash you could put me on a leash in front of the stadium and have me bark at people.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I’ve watched every game, but I just fully realized that we’re 2-4 over our last 6 games. The 2 wins coming on last second field goals against the Kansas teams.

Yep, and this is just a couple months removed from taking the #1 team in the nation to the point where a couple of dumbass dropped passes handed them the win.  It’s a massive implosion!

No one likes losing, particularly when you are used to winning--which is what most kids starting at big programs are used to from youth league up.  What we are seeing is far more than petulance and discord from not getting their way.  This is a program issue, we have terrible coaching that has zero accountability for their abysmal player development, preparation and game management.  A terrible coaching staff that blames the players publicly, and privately it's likely worse, as the guy at the top accepts zero responsibility for their failures.  The same immature clown who mocked an opposing player once the win was at hand   

The head narcissist in charge says "the loss of composure is completely unacceptable, and I promise this will be dealt with punitively."    Ok, so what about the fucking terrible coaching going on, that has been going on since you arrived?   When will that be punished?   You demoted 2 deadbeats because they sucked at their jobs.  That was almost 2 years ago asshole, and those guys are still drawing mid-6 figure checks.  

Look around you, you are losing your team if you haven't already.  Your 1st three years here are now officially worse than Macks last 3 that got him fired.   Recruiting will be the next domino to fall and the transfer portal will ramp up, then you just might realize that you're done here even if you are still drawing a check and leaving with a sizeable chunk of money.   Because we are Texas we will not do the prudent thing and replace you now with someone who can immediately utilize the one asset you brought to Austin, good recruiting.  No, you will get another year, possibly 2 depending on who you persuade to come in, but I'm guessing the replacements are already here and you will be all but gone this time next year.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Rimbo said:

☝️

Saban and Carroll were mediocre to awful NFL coaches when they were hired. Not saying we should target an idiot like Hue Jackson, but someone mediocre, the kind of guy who would be like 9-7 every year in the NFL...

I keep seeing this idea and I keep visualizing Herm Edwards.  No thanks.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

Dan Quinn would be the NFL head coach that intrigues me.  He’s about to get fired, but he’s put skins on the wall before as head coach in Atlanta and DC with the Seahawks.  He also was the DC for Florida for a couple of years and was a Broyles Award candidate, so there is at least some college experience.  

But with the NFL, it may be the coordinators who have the real high upside.  I’m not sure the college game is ahead of the curve on innovation anymore - or at least not on good innovation.  It’s just gotten too weird and gimmicky for its own good in a lot of ways (see Exhibit A: Todd Orlando).  If we want a young coach, I’d look to the NFL and try to find the next Sean McVay, Joe Brady or Kyle Shanahan.   Joe Brady’s impact on LSU has to be one of the biggest eye openers in college football in recent years.  Hell, if he had more than one year experience as a Co-OC, I’d say give Joe Brady a look, but as of now it would be way too much of a gamble given the lack of a longer track record.

Hell no. Shanahan was the architect of Atlanta’s Super Bowl run. Though that play calling late in the SB was a WTF moment. 

That said once Kyle left shit got pretty bad in Atlanta. And why Quinn is probably gone.

• Like 1

With the qualification that I am usually wrong about everything...yeah. I am kind of amazed how fast the wheels flew off the Herman wagon.
He actually seems to get how to utilize the resources UT has, unlike Strong. But he's an arrogant prick, brought his subpar coaching staff along, and just isn't a very good coach at this level.

Cutting ties quickly is the best way to go, but that isn't happening, so next best thing is to give him the resources to hire and replace nearly everyone else and see if he can pull a Dabo next year. If not, cut bait. Obviously it's tough to get wait assistants to come if you are on the hot seat.

Fuck

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

If we want a young coach, I’d look to the NFL and try to find the next Sean McVay, Joe Brady or Kyle Shanahan.   Joe Brady’s impact on LSU has to be one of the biggest eye openers in college football in recent years.  Hell, if he had more than one year experience as a Co-OC, I’d say give Joe Brady a look, but as of now it would be way too much of a gamble given the lack of a longer track record.

I was thinking about this earlier, and I think that we need to take a gamble (unless someone decides to wake up and go after Meyer).  Take a look at the current head coaches of the top 10 and their previous jobs before becoming head coaches.

1. LSU - Orgeron D Line Coach

2. OSU - Day OC

3. Clemson - Swinney WR Coach

4. Georgia - Smart DC

5. Bama - Saban NFL HC

6. Oregon - Cristobal OC

7. Utah - Whittingham DC

8. PSU - Franklin HC

9. OU - Riley OC

10. Minnesota - Fleck HC

Only 3 of the 10 were head coaches at their previous job.  The idea that we should go hire another head coach and ignore everyone else is probably not the best way to go about it.  We need the best possible coach regardless of what their current title is.  

Edited by IPoopOnWhoop
  • Like 2

I have a class with several football players and this past week the professor was having an open class discussion about the mentality of coaches. Two of the players said the following:

Player 1: “when I first got on campus, coach Herman didn’t say a word to me for over 2 months. He would pass me in the hallway and not even make eye contact with me or say hello. When recruits ask me about Texas, I say don’t come here”

Player 2: ”when I couldn’t play in [a game last year], the coaches basically told me I was soft and didn’t care for the team. I physically couldn’t play and they didn’t care at all. They thought I was soft and still deject me to this day”

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I have a class with several football players and this past week the professor was having an open class discussion about the mentality of coaches. Two of the players said the following:

Player 1: “when I first got on campus, coach Herman didn’t say a word to me for over 2 months. He would pass me in the hallway and not even make eye contact with me or say hello. When recruits ask me about Texas, I say don’t come here”

Player 2: ”when I couldn’t play in [a game last year], the coaches basically told me I was soft and didn’t care for the team. I physically couldn’t play and they didn’t care at all. They thought I was soft and still deject me to this day”

CDC needs to get this ASAP. The football player's names will have to be given.  

10 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

This is way better than my class.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, IPoopOnWhoop said:

I was thinking about this earlier, and I think that we need to take a gamble (unless someone decides to wake up and go after Meyer).  Take a look at the current head coaches of the top 10 and their previous jobs before becoming head coaches.

1. LSU - Orgeron D Line Coach

2. OSU - Day OC

3. Clemson - Swinney WR Coach

4. Georgia - Smart DC

5. Bama - Saban NFL HC

6. Oregon - Cristobal OC

7. Utah - Whittingham DC

8. PSU - Franklin HC

9. OU - Riley OC

10. Minnesota - Fleck HC

Only 3 of the 10 were head coaches at their previous job.  The idea that we should go hire another head coach and ignore everyone else is probably not the best way to go about it.  We need the best possible coach regardless of what their current title is.  

Okay. Hold on just a second on your reasoning here. Day, Cristobal, Smart, Whittingham, and Riley were all either with those programs in their OC/DC role (Day, Cristobal, Whittingham, Riley) or moved within the conference because their HFBC wasn't leaving anytime soon (Smart). We don't have that luxury as our staff is complete dogshit. There's no one who could slide over to the HFBC role.

The true risk was Dabo. Orgeron had a trial run at both USC and LSU before he got the job. The real mistake for us was choosing Charlie over Franklin when both were an option. Fleck and him were the only established coaches on your list. Saban already had a national championship on his ledger when Bama hired him after the failed NFL run. 

Here's the larger problem with Texas. This whole thing is such a shitshow, from the fans' expectations to dealing with donors to LHN duties. It takes someone who can handle that. We're our own worst enemy. I don't see a lot of coaches wanting to sign up for that. Especially not a guy like Harsin who never has to leave his comfortable job to come to this nest of vipers. Same with trying to get Patterson from TCU or Rhule from Baylor. Those guys aren't going to leave places where they are gods for the extreme pressure that comes with this job. And let's face it, outside of Mack's run, we've had a run of mediocrity from the end of the Akers era to present. We're like Michigan, always 2nd to the better team in our conference. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

What in the fuck?!?  These clowns need to be gone yesterday.

15 hours ago, Goodman said:

Someone tell this motherfucker that being Tough & Dumb is no way to lead.

This vid of Tom headbutting a player shows me more than anything that he has lost this team.  There is very little emotion in that group of players before or after their coach’s absurd “fire ‘em up!” Gimmick.

Not sure where you go from that trick.  Maybe walk into the locker room before the game wearing a samurai sword and threaten ritual suicide at midfield if the team doesn’t win?

13 minutes ago, mdmost said:

My fear with continually missing on the guy is that we're turning into Tennessee, the team we have an identical record with right now that we may face in the Texas Bowl.  

This is an under-rated post. The issue is keeping a HC that nobody realistically expects to win a conference championship or keep digging yourself a bigger hole by hiring the shiny ornament of the day. I hate both options.  

4 minutes ago, Goredho said:

This vid of Tom headbutting a player shows me more than anything that he has lost this team.  There is very little emotion in that group of players before or after their coach’s absurd “fire ‘em up!” Gimmick.

Not sure where you go from that trick.  Maybe walk into the locker room before the game wearing a samurai sword and threaten ritual suicide at midfield if the team doesn’t win?

Can you imagine Saban, Urban, Peter Carroll or other coaches pulling this WWF shit? But come on, we knew we were getting Gimmick Herman when we hired him. You shouldn't need gimmicks at Texas. Does Rhule use gimmicks at Baylor. Or Patterson at TCU? Of course not, because they know how to coach. 

• Like 3

This is infuriating on many levels but most importantly it demonstrates incredibly bad judgement by Herman.

I’ve seen enough transfers, portals, stories, and of my own observations to believe that Texas has made a massive mistake that needs to be corrected now, despite the massive buyout. CDC right now must be contemplating something he thought he’d never have to deal with in 2019.

11 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Can’t expect your players to not do dumb shit when you’re constantly doing dumb shit.

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Unbelieveable

10 hours ago, Rimbo said:

☝️

hey wait i got an idea

Mackovic was a .500 level head coach with the Chiefs before his run at Illinois/UT.

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Sounds like sour grapes because they had to get to the back of the line for the small piece of chicken bologna sandwiches.  These whiny bitches weren't worthy of steak.

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas