Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

I have a class with several football players and this past week the professor was having an open class discussion about the mentality of coaches. Two of the players said the following:

Player 1: “when I first got on campus, coach Herman didn’t say a word to me for over 2 months. He would pass me in the hallway and not even make eye contact with me or say hello. When recruits ask me about Texas, I say don’t come here”

Player 2: ”when I couldn’t play in [a game last year], the coaches basically told me I was soft and didn’t care for the team. I physically couldn’t play and they didn’t care at all. They thought I was soft and still deject me to this day”

Yeah you're going to need to name the players or something because this smells like bullshit imo. This jives with my personal image of Herman but I don't see why we have any reason to believe the players would be publicly trashing him.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

Yeah you're going to need to name the players or something because this smells like bullshit imo. This jives with my personal image of Herman but I don't see why we have any reason to believe the players would be publicly trashing him.

probably guys that aren't any good or don't get much playing time - I could see it. 

1 hour ago, EMAWesome said:

It could be worse.  You could be Miami.

Funny you should mention Miami. I looked at the records of us vs Miami this decade. We were 69-57 from the start of 2010 up to yesterday. We've had 3 head coaches, 4 losing seasons and were ranked in the end of the year AP poll only twice in those 10 years. Miami was 75-46 up to yesterday. They've had 5 head coaches, only 1 losing season, and were also ranked twice in the end of the year AP poll in those 10 years. 

I like to use the we're Michigan but at least we're not Tennessee yet mantra. Yeah, Michigan was 85-42 in that same time frame, only had 1 losing season, were ranked 5 times in the end of the year AP poll and also ran through 3 head coaches. At least we're not Tennessee, right. Yeah, we've only won 8 more games than they have this decade. They are 61-62. They've had 6 losing seasons to our 4. They've also been ranked twice, like us, in the end of the year AP poll. So we've sucked but not on their level. But it's closer than you'd think.

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

They also need to be prepared for the HC job. I think Ogre is practically retarded, but he had a plan of what he wanted to do at LSU written down before he got that job. Dabo was the same way at Clemson.

I think Herman had a plan, as much as say Dabo, but you don't know how someone is going to do in the big job until they get it. I think Herman does a lot of program things right - recruiting organization, communication, social media, etc, but everyone who said he put together a JV staff is being proven correct. AND THAT BUMS ME OUT.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Does it matter though? He's been pretty good at every stop he's had post Ole Miss. His USC time was pretty good but short. He's 36-9 at LSU. 

He’s a good coach but I think 2-3 loss season is his average. I wouldn’t want Herman or coach O in the long run honestly but that just my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Enchubben said:

probably guys that aren't any good or don't get much playing time - I could see it. 

It wouldn’t be fair to the players to attach their names to it. One is a starter and one is a backup who will definitely play if he doesn’t transfer. I’m not going to throw them under the bus. It just needs to be known what the players think. I have additional stuff they said as well about the coaches not allowing them to take classes relevant to their major next semester because it would require them to miss a portion of practice during spring ball.

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

It wouldn’t be fair to the players to attach their names to it. One is a starter and one is a backup who will definitely play if he doesn’t transfer. I’m not going to throw them under the bus. It just needs to be known what the players think. I have additional stuff they said as well about the coaches not allowing them to take classes relevant to their major next semester because it would require them to miss a portion of practice during spring ball.

Post that shit and send it to CDC.  Herman is a slimey piece of shit.

1 hour ago, DoneWithit said:

Still have a feeling that this season is an outlier for coach O. 

don’t hold your breath.  coach ogre is an elite motivator, gets elite talent, and has turned over the XO’s to smart, competent coaches.  I didn’t think he’d do well but they may have found something with him.  and he wouldn’t leave that job for anything in the world, which will further help him in recruiting. 

22 minutes ago, Llogg said:

I don't think Michigan belongs with the other two right now. And I guess you'd rather continue being the Tennessee of college football.

Yeah I’m not stating that being the Tennessee of cfb is a good thing. I actually don’t know where you’re seeing that in my reply’s. All I’m saying is that I think Herman and coach O are a 2-3 loss type of coach. Meaning they’ll lose one or two games a year they shouldn’t and never showing up for the big game, I.e Ed’s record vs bama. That is definitely Michigan right now. If Texas didn’t have a severe case of the injury bug and was able to overcome depth issues then we’re looking at a 2-3 loss season— just like Michigan. That is Tom Herman in my opinion and I think that is something Texas should not strive for; we have the capability to do better. 

19 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

I would kill for an outlier like this. 

yep.  we already got to see Herman's outlier.  its like when you kid takes the SAT gets a very good score and you think, great, take it again an get higher.  yeah no, 100 points lower.  Herman maxed out his second year here with a few key last minute wins.  we never blew anyone out.  and our illustrious AD gave him an extention that locked us in for a 30M dollar buyout when he inevitably face planted.

This is mackovic all over again.5-7 is a realistic possibility next year with the same shitty defense and no Duvernay.

16 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

Yeah I’m not stating that being the Tennessee of cfb is a good thing. I actually don’t know where you’re seeing that in my reply’s. All I’m saying is that I think Herman and coach O are a 2-3 loss type of coach. Meaning they’ll lose one or two games a year they shouldn’t and never showing up for the big game, I.e Ed’s record vs bama. That is definitely Michigan right now. If Texas didn’t have a severe case of the injury bug and was able to overcome depth issues then we’re looking at a 2-3 loss season— just like Michigan. That is Tom Herman in my opinion and I think that is something Texas should not strive for; we have the capability to do better. 

Tom Herman at Texas has literally never had a 2-3 loss season and you think that's his average? What sort of logic is that?

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

Okay. Hold on just a second on your reasoning here. Day, Cristobal, Smart, Whittingham, and Riley were all either with those programs in their OC/DC role (Day, Cristobal, Whittingham, Riley) or moved within the conference because their HFBC wasn't leaving anytime soon (Smart). We don't have that luxury as our staff is complete dogshit. There's no one who could slide over to the HFBC role.

The true risk was Dabo. Orgeron had a trial run at both USC and LSU before he got the job. The real mistake for us was choosing Charlie over Franklin when both were an option. Fleck and him were the only established coaches on your list. Saban already had a national championship on his ledger when Bama hired him after the failed NFL run. 

Here's the larger problem with Texas. This whole thing is such a shitshow, from the fans' expectations to dealing with donors to LHN duties. It takes someone who can handle that. We're our own worst enemy. I don't see a lot of coaches wanting to sign up for that. Especially not a guy like Harsin who never has to leave his comfortable job to come to this nest of vipers. Same with trying to get Patterson from TCU or Rhule from Baylor. Those guys aren't going to leave places where they are gods for the extreme pressure that comes with this job. And let's face it, outside of Mack's run, we've had a run of mediocrity from the end of the Akers era to present. We're like Michigan, always 2nd to the better team in our conference. 

My reasoning was really just that you don’t have to be an established head coach at a power 5 program to be successful.  

4 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

They also need to be prepared for the HC job. I think Ogre is practically retarded, but he had a plan of what he wanted to do at LSU written down before he got that job. Dabo was the same way at Clemson.

You can hardly say Herman didn't have a plan. Alignment comes to mind. Having a plan isn't the same as having a plan that works.

17 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Tom Herman at Texas has literally never had a 2-3 loss season and you think that's his average? What sort of logic is that?

That’s true and you’re right but I’m saying that is the best we will ever get from Herman. This is even if he goes out and gets better assistants. It is why I believe coach O’s success is an outlier—next year they’ll probably come back down to earth. 

12 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

That’s true and you’re right but I’m saying that is the best we will ever get from Herman. This is even if he goes out and gets better assistants. It is why I believe coach O’s success is an outlier—next year they’ll probably come back down to earth. 

I'm not so sure. Coach O as least has the common sense to listen to those around him.  

4 minutes ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

I'm not so sure. Coach O as least has the common sense to listen to those around him.  

But before this years play he was known as having an old school ground and pound type philosophy. Before the season started everyone was saying “I’ll believe it when I see it on the LSU offense becoming more explosive”. We had every right to say that because that’s all we heard on LSU in the off-season. Also, who could have known hiring a 30 year old passing analyst would change their offense so much— I don’t even think Ed thought it would have this big of impact. 

But before this years play he was known as having an old school ground and pound type philosophy. Before the season started everyone was saying “I’ll believe it when I see it on the LSU offense becoming more explosive”. We had every right to say that because that’s all we heard on LSU in the off-season. Also, who could have known hiring a 30 year old passing analyst would change their offense so much— I don’t even think Ed thought it would have this big of impact. 

Isn’t the first thing coach O did was fire his OC?

I have an announcement to make.

After careful consideration I feel it is in my best interest to announce that I will not be making a $50M donation to the University of Texas this year due in part to the performance of the football team. Other factors were also considered, including the fact I don’t have $50M to give, but nevertheless please respect my decision.

• Haha 1

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas