Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

4 hours ago, mdmost said:

Funny you should mention Miami. I looked at the records of us vs Miami this decade. We were 69-57 from the start of 2010 up to yesterday. We've had 3 head coaches, 4 losing seasons and were ranked in the end of the year AP poll only twice in those 10 years. Miami was 75-46 up to yesterday. They've had 5 head coaches, only 1 losing season, and were also ranked twice in the end of the year AP poll in those 10 years. 

I like to use the we're Michigan but at least we're not Tennessee yet mantra. Yeah, Michigan was 85-42 in that same time frame, only had 1 losing season, were ranked 5 times in the end of the year AP poll and also ran through 3 head coaches. At least we're not Tennessee, right. Yeah, we've only won 8 more games than they have this decade. They are 61-62. They've had 6 losing seasons to our 4. They've also been ranked twice, like us, in the end of the year AP poll. So we've sucked but not on their level. But it's closer than you'd think.

cosmo kramer mind blown GIF

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, IPoopOnWhoop said:

My reasoning was really just that you don’t have to be an established head coach at a power 5 program to be successful.  

I get your reasoning. My point was a lot of those schools had the luxury of allowing the coordinator to take over. It was pretty obvious that Lincoln Riley would succeed Stoops. There's continuity to that move. Same with Day at tOSU, Whittingham at Utah, Cristobal at Oregon, etc. The only real risks were on OU and tOSU's parts given those are blue blood schools. If Saban was ready to retire before Kirby Smart left, Smart would've slid over to succeed Saban. We were supposed to have that at Texas until Mack went back on his "retirement" and Muschamp left. Sure, it wouldn't have probably worked out with Muschamp but it would've been smoother than the shitfest that happened because Mack stayed and then was forced out and the whole program had to be turned over. But with all that said, just like with Charlie and Herman, the next hire will be some sort of risky hire because the sure things like Saban and Urban are few and far between. 

5 hours ago, mdmost said:

Funny you should mention Miami. I looked at the records of us vs Miami this decade. We were 69-57 from the start of 2010 up to yesterday. We've had 3 head coaches, 4 losing seasons and were ranked in the end of the year AP poll only twice in those 10 years. Miami was 75-46 up to yesterday. They've had 5 head coaches, only 1 losing season, and were also ranked twice in the end of the year AP poll in those 10 years. 

I like to use the we're Michigan but at least we're not Tennessee yet mantra. Yeah, Michigan was 85-42 in that same time frame, only had 1 losing season, were ranked 5 times in the end of the year AP poll and also ran through 3 head coaches. At least we're not Tennessee, right. Yeah, we've only won 8 more games than they have this decade. They are 61-62. They've had 6 losing seasons to our 4. They've also been ranked twice, like us, in the end of the year AP poll. So we've sucked but not on their level. But it's closer than you'd think.

I think we should start a new conference with the likes of Mia,  Michigan,  Tennessee,  USC,  Nebraska,  and a few more that we could probably add.

Kind of the has been conference.  It would have a good fan base and be pretty well attended. Probably get a TV deal.  

Think the Sr. Golf Tour.  We've already made our money so the pressure is not as great and we could have a good time during the fall thinking about the good old days.  

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Any y'all remember when we all laughed at the aggy when they played  Clemson for calling a timeout down by 21 with 6 seconds remaining? Then Tom Herman turns around and does the exact same thing against Baylor down by 21 with 5 seconds remaining. Get that goof the fuck out of here.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Laga4 said:

I think we should start a new conference with the likes of Mia,  Michigan,  Tennessee,  USC,  Nebraska,  and a few more that we could probably add.

Kind of the has been conference.  It would have a good fan base and be pretty well attended. Probably get a TV deal.  

Think the Sr. Golf Tour.  We've already made our money so the pressure is not as great and we could have a good time during the fall thinking about the good old days.  

remember before the season that Texas was a CFP possibility and Nebraska was ranked?  I honestly didn't believe either were accurate (you guys lost too much from that defense) but I certainly didn't see 6-5 and 5-6.  I guess I figured Texas with 2-3 losses and Nebraska at 4, which would have doubled last years win total.  Did not see losses to Colorado, Indiana or Purdue as possibilities.

8 hours ago, Laga4 said:

One of the funniest things I’ve ever read on Surly.  Major shout-out.

8 hours ago, Laga4 said:

I like it. I mean one of us has to finally win a conference title again.

9 hours ago, Laga4 said:

Call it the Amber Waves Conference. It's patriotic and sort of hints at that autumnal feel we are looking for without flat out calling it the Has Been League.

We'd need to add some privates for academic standing and maybe easy wins. My dad told me Rice was pretty good when he was a kid in 1950s Houston. Army and Navy have had some elite teams. Based on some really long ago games, Vanderbilt is one of the only P5 teams with a winning record vs Texas.

Would Notre Dame be eligible, or are they still too lively?

As for publics, Florida State is playing its way in these days. And what about Arkansas? 

And will repeat winners be "relegated" back into big boy football? Or is this a Hotel California type deal where once you check in, you can never leave?

• Like 3

Has anyone stopped to think that maybe Mensa is on to something. Maybe he is sick and tired of seeing all these other coaches getting praise and accolades for doing more with less. Maybe he is tanking so we are left with 2 Stars recruits so he can turn this thing around and get some of that good good media love.
He is playing chess...

• Like 2

On 11/24/2019 at 12:16 AM, orangebird said:

So...about Harsin:

Does anybody remember when he was an assistant here under Mack?  Toward the end, he made a comment, something to the effect of how he was looking forward to getting back to a situation that was just about football again?  Reading between the lines, it was implied that he hated the circus that surrounded this program.

I think Harsin would be a damn good coach, but he is basically a god in Boise.  Boise State is his alma mater, and probably his dream job.  I think he is much like Patterson at TCU.  I don't see him coming here, no matter how much money someone wants to throw at him.

Honestly Herman ain't it, but I don't even know whom Texas would hire who would be worth a shit who would come here right now.  I guess I'm getting too old for this shit...

Good point.  However, I believe Mack fostered the circus quite a bit.  He was better at it than actual coaching.

7 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Well, the #1 team did just give up 600+ yards to Ole Miss.

was that on the scoreboard?

of the 660 mins. of football we have played this year, we've trailed in 31 of them.  Ole Miss doesn't consist of a single second of that 31 mins.

i'm okay with where things are, and i trust Aranda to get a handle on calling a game with this kind of offense.

The explanation we were just better at the beginning of the season is unacceptable. It must be that the #1 team in the nation is bad.

Not so much better, but healthier, more confident/united, and the textbook on how to embarrass both the offensive and defensive units hadn't been written, reviewed, published, and translated into a dozen languages.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

On 11/24/2019 at 8:43 AM, mdmost said:

Okay. Hold on just a second on your reasoning here. Day, Cristobal, Smart, Whittingham, and Riley were all either with those programs in their OC/DC role (Day, Cristobal, Whittingham, Riley) or moved within the conference because their HFBC wasn't leaving anytime soon (Smart). We don't have that luxury as our staff is complete dogshit. There's no one who could slide over to the HFBC role.

The true risk was Dabo. Orgeron had a trial run at both USC and LSU before he got the job. The real mistake for us was choosing Charlie over Franklin when both were an option. Fleck and him were the only established coaches on your list. Saban already had a national championship on his ledger when Bama hired him after the failed NFL run. 

Here's the larger problem with Texas. This whole thing is such a shitshow, from the fans' expectations to dealing with donors to LHN duties. It takes someone who can handle that. We're our own worst enemy. I don't see a lot of coaches wanting to sign up for that. Especially not a guy like Harsin who never has to leave his comfortable job to come to this nest of vipers. Same with trying to get Patterson from TCU or Rhule from Baylor. Those guys aren't going to leave places where they are gods for the extreme pressure that comes with this job. And let's face it, outside of Mack's run, we've had a run of mediocrity from the end of the Akers era to present. We're like Michigan, always 2nd to the better team in our conference. 

Lot of truth here.  But could be tempered by general coach hubris.  Assuming Texas is viewed as a more prestigious job and/or pays better, many are going to assume that they will duplicate and increase their success here.  Like Morris going to Arkansas.  He wasn't even successful at SMU, but he assumed he would succeed at the shit show that is UA at present.

It also could be that the really successful coaches have sufficient self-awareness not to get sucked into a bad situation that way.

Edited by TwiceHorn

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas