Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

1 hour ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

was that on the scoreboard?

of the 660 mins. of football we have played this year, we've trailed in 31 of them.  Ole Miss doesn't consist of a single second of that 31 mins.

i'm okay with where things are, and i trust Aranda to get a handle on calling a game with this kind of offense.

All I'm saying is that LSU's defense is not the strength that is has been in the past. This year's group's identity is a fantastic offense. Meant to say that maybe us running up-and-down the field in the second half was a product of a weaker side of the ball than usual and it gave us a false sense of how good our O was.

3 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

was that on the scoreboard?

of the 660 mins. of football we have played this year, we've trailed in 31 of them.  Ole Miss doesn't consist of a single second of that 31 mins.

i'm okay with where things are, and i trust Aranda to get a handle on calling a game with this kind of offense.

I'm tired of idiots using the yards per game stat to judge defensive performance. That stat was antiquated back in 2011. Yards per play, points per game, or fuck off.

2 hours ago, Rip76 said:

Rip the f'ing band-aid off this week.

You'll be praised for CDC.

It doesn't sound like the administration has enough trust in Herman to choose a staff, because, you know, he already proved his value there.  If the locker room is a fractured disaster now, imagine if they intervene on his staff selection or outright choose them for him.  That will be Hitler's bunker from the start.  We just recently watched the "reshuffle the staff" strategy with Charlie Strong.  If the rumors about the current levels of strife among the players is true then we already know what 2020 will resemble.  Spoiler Alert:  we just saw this movie and the ending sucked.  Imagine being a coordinator and coming into this situation unaware whether or not you were chosen by the head coach.  Prior to hitting the ground running you'd be tempted to try to get a feel for the nuances within the hierarchy of an already sinking ship and a doomed captain.    

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fred Willard said:

For those that missed the press conference here are the highlights:

Mack, GDGD, and his wife are his mentors.

Herman’s favorite thanksgiving food is ravioli.

-- he's been slamming his head into things for a long time and it's ridiculous to question him for that now.

Paul Finebaum lights Tom Herman -- and Texas -- on fire.

https://247sports.com/Article/Tom-Herman-failure-at-Texas-says-Paul-Finebaum-Longhorns-Big-12-139195133/

A 24-10 loss Saturday at Baylor sees the Texas Longhorns fall to 6-5 on the season, with three losses in their last four games.

In the preseason College Football Playoff conversation, Texas needs to win against Texas Tech this weekend to finish above .500 before bowl season.

Now fifth in the Big 12 standings, frustration rises regarding third-year coach Tom Herman. Known for his SEC analysis, ESPN’s Paul Finebaum turned his attention to the Longhorns Monday on WJOX with some harsh words for the fan base.

“There’s no sugarcoating it,” Finebaum said. “Tom Herman has been an abject failure at Texas. That surprises me and many other people because I believed in this guy. I knew him when he was Urban’s offensive coordinator. I thought he was one of the smartest coaches around. Either he has failed doing the things you have to do or Texas is beyond salvage.”

Finebaum then set his crosshairs on the Texas fan base with some strong words. The Longhorns have one 10-win season since the end of the Mack Brown era, and that came last season thanks to a victory over Georgia in the Sugar Bowl.

“Sometimes you have to factor in that you’re just not what you used to be,” Finebaum said. “The Texas fans are among the most arrogant, egotistical and elite fans in America in terms of their own self worth. And you know what, Texas just doesn’t matter that much anymore. How many times can you proclaim you’re back when you’re not back? They want to throw stones at Jimbo Fisher’s program and a lot of people will because of the record. But I promise you, Jimbo Fisher’s record would be a lot better if he had Texas’ schedule than the one he currently has.”

The way Horns247 sees the situation, fixing Texas requires a long look in the mirror by the head coach.

“Texas (6-5, 4-4 Big 12) has regressed to such a low point that the program feels almost right back to where it was when Herman took the job,” writes Jeff Howe. “And for that, Herman has nobody to blame except for the man he sees in the mirror every day.”

For the players, the heart is there, and the Longhorns are hungry for a rebound against the Red Raiders and strong finish for the senior class.

“It's a feeling that this team will never get used to,” said Malcolm Roach. “We'll never get comfortable with this feeling at all. That's why it eats you up every time you have this feeling. It's not comfortable. It's not something you want. We put so much work — winter, summer for 12 of these guaranteed. When you win them you're on top of the world and when you lose them you feel like you’ve hit rock bottom because we put in so much work every day. That's the reason we feel like this after every loss because we put so much into it and when it doesn't go your way, it's just hard to swallow.”

1 hour ago, Chooky said:

It doesn't sound like the administration has enough trust in Herman to choose a staff, because, you know, he already proved his value there.  If the locker room is a fractured disaster now, imagine if they intervene on his staff selection or outright choose them for him.  That will be Hitler's bunker from the start.  We just recently watched the "reshuffle the staff" strategy with Charlie Strong.  If the rumors about the current levels of strife among the players is true then we already know what 2020 will resemble.  Spoiler Alert:  we just saw this movie and the ending sucked.  Imagine being a coordinator and coming into this situation unaware whether or not you were chosen by the head coach.  Prior to hitting the ground running you'd be tempted to try to get a feel for the nuances within the hierarchy of an already sinking ship and a doomed captain.    

So do we need to start preparing ourselves and stocking the liquor cabinets for the inevitable OC hire fuck up a la Sterlin Gilbert? But this time it'll be for both coordinators? Then we have 1-year rentals if Herman can't turn it around significantly and then he's off coaching some directional school on one of the coasts. I was never really keen on Herman but I'd be lying if I said this nosedive isn't wildly shocking. There really isn't a lot of evidence to suggest Herman manages to turn it around at a school like Texas after his team regressed sub-fucking-stantially every single week. His face at the end of the Baylor game was rather telling of a dude that realized he's not doing a very good job and that his best efforts aren't good enough to win games. Blank stare of a narcissist who's realized he may in fact be completely full of shit. 

10 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Fuck Finebaum. He’s nothing but a shill for the sec. he’s as fake news as Fox is. The sec is terrified Texas will get its shit together so he’s doing everything possible to tear down Texas. He’s a punk ass bitch.

"Either he has failed doing the things you have to do or Texas is beyond salvage."

FFS, I know which choice is not ridiculous SEC fellating hyperbolic garbage.  I will quite enjoy the fall of Bama once Saban leaves and they return back to Mike Shula land.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Fuck Finebaum. He’s nothing but a shill for the sec. he’s as fake news as Fox is. The sec is terrified Texas will get its shit together so he’s doing everything possible to tear down Texas. He’s a punk ass bitch.

Well, we're not doing everything possible to ensure we'll get our shit together any time soon so I think he's not as terrified as you think. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I"m no fan of Finebaum but he's not saying anything that Surly isn't shouting from the rooftops.

2 hours ago, Augustus said:

I'm no fan of Finebaum but he's not saying anything that Surly isn't shouting from the rooftops.

Actually, he is, because he's suggesting that Texas is "beyond salvage."  Nobody on Surly is suggesting that, because it's a stupid thing to say.

Does anyone without an agenda believe that's the case?    Why on Earth would Texas be "beyond salvage?"  Baylor was 1-11 two seasons ago and they're 10-1 now.  They're clearly not "beyond salvage" so why would Texas be?

Finebaum's a mediot and a shill with an agenda.  Anyone stupid enough to buy that horseshit is probably "beyond salvage" but Texas certainly isn't.  Texas is nothing more than the correct coach away from success.  I'm not saying it's easy to identify that coach, but it's not like it hasn't happened before.

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, Redneck Mutha said:

Number of losses, first 3 seasons at Texas:

John Mackovic - 14 

Tom Herman - 15

Yeah, but Herman has two more games to play so he could obviously reverse that statistic.  DUH!  

4 hours ago, Augustus said:

I"m no fan of Finebaum but he's not saying anything that Surly isn't shouting from the rooftops.

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Actually, he is, because he's suggesting that Texas is "beyond salvage."  Nobody on Surly is suggesting that, because it's a stupid thing to say.

Does anyone without an agenda believe that's the case?    Why on Earth would Texas be "beyond salvage?"  Baylor was 1-11 two seasons ago and they're 10-1 now.  They're clearly not "beyond salvage" so why would Texas be?

Finebaum's a mediot and a shill with an agenda.  Anyone stupid enough to buy that horseshit is probably "beyond salvage" but Texas certainly isn't.  Texas is nothing more than the correct coach away from success.  I'm not saying it's easy to identify that coach, but it's not like it hasn't happened before.

What utee94 said. Your aggy is showing, Augustus.

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

We'd be happy to help.  Our bank in CHICAGO is housed in an old Blockbuster Video.  And our Texas digital branch has a Luby's in our basement of our building.

This is an absolute win-win.  

Love the sponsor list.  Ate at Lubys once a month on sundays growing up.  Liked it so much I worked as a manager for them, 8.5 years.  Some of the dumbest decisions ever made in corporate America by that company.  Let’s hire a guy to be ceo who has 0 experience in the food business.  Same dude rolls out idea of outsourcing the scratch cooking prep. Ex.  for fried fish.

had fun too.  Got to do the thanksgiving interview with the news reporter in Sherman.  She was an absolute doll.  

Had had some fun coming up with  new dishes.  Took a cooked ribeye from the day before, ran it through tenderizer a couple of times, flour batter flour, and it was a chicken fried ribeye.  Sold 2 and ate 1.  Yes!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Let 'Em Hang said:

My sweet 86 year old Mom passed away Friday, so I was busy with funeral arrangements on Saturday and thankfully did not watch the game.

My condolences on your loss. My Mom is the same age and seemingly aging very quickly, like weekly.  Hope your Family is staying strong.

• Like 3

Here you go Tommy Boy; you overpaid fraud.  I’ll tell anybody at uT who’ll listen you should get your buyout paid in pasta you fucking child.  I promise you 13 months from now...you’re a rumor.  You never happened 

Edited by Lobo

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas