Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

Notre Dame, Michigan, USC, Stanford, Wisconsin and Florida all ranked way higher than UT in academics and are doing better in football. It is possible. Those people that claim whether Texas wants to do better or commit to winning are just experiencing sour grapes because of the underperformance they've seen over the years. 

That’s a really bad post, none of those are WAY higher in academics and what year are we talking s out being better than Texas? Everyone of those schools has underperformed like Texas in football lately
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

Yeah. Michigan is undeniably a better school than us. Florida is not. ND is not. USC is not. Wisconsin is probably about the same tier as us (seriously underrated school imo). Stanford is probably the second best school in the world, so yes they blow us out of the water.

What the fuck? Based on what, degree programs? I think the NW rating is a bullshit talking piece. 

I know nothing about UW, but Madison is absolutely gorgeous. It has a 'wow' factor to it. Visited about 10 years ago and was taken aback. I didn't even realize it was top 10 best cities to live in at the time, but I can see why. I can see their university being a good one. It's very attractive on the outside. We walked around and it's beautiful.

Yeah it’s great for three months out of the year

1 hour ago, hornhorn said:

You choose a publication then.

1 hour ago, hornhorn said:

Oh so you were referring to UC Berkeley being behind Harvard and not Texas? Because it sure as hell wouldn't be right. 

Look Texas is a fine institution but it cannot compare academically to UC public schools or USC or even Michigan. Let's all stop pretending that.

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/2020/world-ranking#!/page/0/length/25/locations/US/sort_by/rank/sort_order/asc/cols/stats

Tied for #21 in the United States. Ahead of Illinois, Wisconsin, North Carolina, USC, and many others you act like are on another level.

Notre Dame is down there next to Arizona State. Keep going a bit past them and you'll get to Florida and Texas A&M.

Edited by Huckleberry
Got the ranking wrong
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/2020/world-ranking#!/page/0/length/25/locations/US/sort_by/rank/sort_order/asc/cols/stats

#22 in the United States. Ahead of Illinois, Wisconsin, North Carolina, USC, and many others you act like are on another level.

Notre Dame is down there next to Arizona State. Keep going a bit past them and you'll get to Florida and Texas A&M.

Times relies entirely too much on research put out by universities. Its purely due to being a state university of the second largest state in the Union it enjoys the research budget that it does. You can see that in why UT lags behind not one but 2 Cali public schools in UCLA and UC San Diego. 

Larger state = larger research budget = more research = higher ranking. 

Skewed and not reliable due to that. The mere fact that it lists Brown and Rice below UT is laughable. Both of those schools and their students would run circles around 95% of UT kids when it comes to IQ. 

2 minutes ago, hornhorn said:

Times relies entirely too much on research put out by universities. Its purely due to being a state university of the second largest state in the Union it enjoys the research budget that it does. You can see that in why UT lags behind not one but 2 Cali public schools in UCLA and UC San Diego. 

Larger state = larger research budget = more research = higher ranking. 

Skewed and not reliable due to that. The mere fact that it lists Brown and Rice below UT is laughable. Both of those schools and their students would run circles around 95% of UT kids when it comes to IQ. 

lulz I knew this was coming.

From the guy who said "OH IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE RANKINGS IT MUST BE WRONG SOMEHOW" to other people.

Meanwhile, Texas is #20 in the United States in the teaching metric, you know, what a university is supposed to be about for students. Texas is tied for #22 in research and is #44 in citations (both below their overall ranking), so your explanation is wrong. UT's ranking is driven down by our lack of international students compared to our peers, which of course is driven by State policy.

But the funniest thing is this apparent idea you have that average student IQ is how universities should be ranked. That may be the dumbest method for ranking schools that I've ever heard.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

And then January and February happen.  It is really nice outside of winter though.

CHI is the best large summer city in the country. But if you can’t afford to take at least a couple trips in Jan/Feb/Mar, fuck living here.  Some say fuck it anyway...and I get that.  To me the holidays mean cold/snow.  Fuck that decorated palm tree noise.  

Ok, now back to the academic smack.  I’ll sit that one out, for obvious reasons.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

CHI is the best large summer city in the country. But if you can’t afford to take at least a couple trips in Jan/Feb/Mar, fuck living here.  Some say fuck it anyway...and I get that.  To me the holidays mean cold/snow.  Fuck that decorated palm tree noise.  

Ok, now back to the academic smack.  I’ll sit that one out, for obvious reasons.  

I spent couple of years in Chicago while attending grad school. Loved the city but the winter was unbearable having lived in Texas and  Bay Area before. I had a job offer there but couldn't wait to get the fuck out.

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

lulz I knew this was coming.

From the guy who said "OH IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE RANKINGS IT MUST BE WRONG SOMEHOW" to other people.

Meanwhile, Texas is #20 in the United States in the teaching metric, you know, what a university is supposed to be about for students. Texas is tied for #22 in research and is #44 in citations (both below their overall ranking), so your explanation is wrong. UT's ranking is driven down by our lack of international students compared to our peers, which of course is driven by State policy.

But the funniest thing is this apparent idea you have that average student IQ is how universities should be ranked. That may be the dumbest method for ranking schools that I've ever heard.

Lulz you didn't know shit. 

#20 rated by Times, you know, a metric that's completely subjective. Do you know what isn't? SAT/ACT scores. Acceptance rates. Those other schools listed recruit better kids, with higher scores. So you can rely on subjective scores all you want I'm going to rely on hard data. K? K!

The funniest thing is you goobers think that a public school that enrolls 50K students with an acceptance rate of over 40% is anything on par with finely curated universities like Rice, Brown, Stanford or MIT. It isn't. Its a public fucking school that has a mandate to handout paper diplomas in Kinesiology and Iberian and Latin American Languages and Cultures. And it does a fine job of that, but thats' about it.

• Fuck You 2

3 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

I spent couple of years in Chicago while attending grad school. Loved the city but the winter was unbearable having lived in Texas and  Bay Area before. I had a job offer there but couldn't wait to get the fuck out.

My place in Miami keeps me sane.  Can’t blame you.  Still those 2-3 months are fucking amazing.  

21 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yes, the University of Texas has to balance public obligation with academic excellence. It's also in a constant battle with the State legislature to be more selective with admissions.

The fact that you think admissions rates are the only thing to measure a university by is your issue, not the university's. In fact, given the local government where UT exists, it's arguable that the University of Texas is pretty much as great an academic institution as it could possibly be given its mission and scope. Let's look at some specific colleges where automatic admission students don't tend to go. And we'll use USNWR because every system has its flaws but you like that one because you think it suits your argument.

Engineering - #11 in the United States. Some schools Texas is ahead of - Cornell, UCLA, Princeton, Penn, Northwestern, Duke, Wisconsin, etc.
Business - #19 in the United States. Florida, Rice, Notre Dame, Vanderbilt, etc.
Nursing - #24 in the United States. Penn State, Boston College, UC-Davis, Miami, etc.
Computer Science - #10. Cal Tech (!!!), Michigan, Columbia, UCLA, Wisconsin, Harvard, UC-San Diego, Penn, Purdue, Rice, etc.
Mathematics - #14. Duke, Penn, Wisconsin, UC-San Diego, Illinois, Northwestern, Georgia Tech, Purdue, Rice, etc.

I could go on. The University of Texas is an outstanding academic institution. The fact that there are thousands of auto-admits walking around the Liberal Arts buildings does nothing to change that, and in fact is a positive when analyzing the University's performance. UT has an obligation to help advance the interests of education in the State of Texas. Allowing those who started from a lower rung of society to experience college and get a degree is immeasurably important. Those children of high school dropouts eventually have children themselves and they teach the value of education to those future Texans.

In short, you're wrong in almost every way that you could possibly be wrong.

Texas has a better reputation as a graduate school than undergraduate because the grad schools are more selective and they compare favorably with many of the highly regarded private schools when it comes to research, student quality, ratio, etc. When it comes to the undergraduate school, you tend to get a mixed bag. You have your national merit scholars who could get into anywhere, and you also have few who get in because of the state mandate. This is reflected in respective undergraduate and graduate school rankings.

Edited by ShowMeALoss

18 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yes, the University of Texas has to balance public obligation with academic excellence. It's also in a constant battle with the State legislature to be more selective with admissions.

The fact that you think admissions rates are the only thing to measure a university by is your issue, not the university's. In fact, given the local government where UT exists, it's arguable that the University of Texas is pretty much as great an academic institution as it could possibly be given its mission and scope. Let's look at some specific colleges where automatic admission students don't tend to go. And we'll use USNWR because every system has its flaws but you like that one because you think it suits your argument.

Engineering - #11 in the United States. Some schools Texas is ahead of - Cornell, UCLA, Princeton, Penn, Northwestern, Duke, Wisconsin, etc.
Business - #19 in the United States. Florida, Rice, Notre Dame, Vanderbilt, etc.
Nursing - #24 in the United States. Penn State, Boston College, UC-Davis, Miami, etc.
Computer Science - #10. Cal Tech (!!!), Michigan, Columbia, UCLA, Wisconsin, Harvard, UC-San Diego, Penn, Purdue, Rice, etc.
Mathematics - #14. Duke, Penn, Wisconsin, UC-San Diego, Illinois, Northwestern, Georgia Tech, Purdue, Rice, etc.

I could go on. The University of Texas is an outstanding academic institution. The fact that there are thousands of auto-admits walking around the Liberal Arts buildings does nothing to change that, and in fact is a positive when analyzing the University's performance. UT has an obligation to help advance the interests of education in the State of Texas. Allowing those who started from a lower rung of society to experience college and get a degree is immeasurably important. Those children of high school dropouts eventually have children themselves and they teach the value of education to those future Texans.

In short, you're wrong in almost every way that you could possibly be wrong.

Again, this picking and choosing of majors doesn't help but I'll play your game. Just like you claim that rankings for Texas gets mired by balancing public obligation with excellence, other schools around the country face the same challenges without enjoying the benefit of being in the second largest state in the union. Its a rigged game given instate vs out of state tuitions. Texas has to be compared to its peers with equal budget like California public schools. And when you do it lags behind UCLA, Berkeley and even Michigan in every single metric you provided. Wisconsin too at times.

UT is better than NU, Aggy, OU,OK State etc but like you said allowing those lower rung of society to experience college and get a degree is immeasurably important. So while you walk around puffing your chest claiming UT's superiority over them, its purely due to budgets offered by the state. When it goes pound for pound, it inevitably falls short. And my original argument still holds strong that while its a good enough public school, its no match for Stanford, UCLA, Rices of the world.

• Fuck You 2

2 hours ago, hornhorn said:

Lulz you didn't know shit. 

#20 rated by Times, you know, a metric that's completely subjective. Do you know what isn't? SAT/ACT scores. Acceptance rates. Those other schools listed recruit better kids, with higher scores. So you can rely on subjective scores all you want I'm going to rely on hard data. K? K!

The funniest thing is you goobers think that a public school that enrolls 50K students with an acceptance rate of over 40% is anything on par with finely curated universities like Rice, Brown, Stanford or MIT. It isn't. Its a public fucking school that has a mandate to handout paper diplomas in Kinesiology and Iberian and Latin American Languages and Cultures. And it does a fine job of that, but thats' about it.

Lol at you thinking acceptance rate is one of the most relevant criteria. In a hypothetical, let's say I created the greatest university in the world with the top faculty and greatest students in the world. Let's say my school has such a reputation that only the people that would get in apply. My acceptance rate is 100%. Let's say only those qualified for admittance supply. Let's say that results in admission rates dropping to 50%. Is my school better now despite the faculty, students, and buildings remaining the same? Let's say I invest in marketing and convince a bunch of kids to apply by paying College Board for the data on kids who took the SAT and send mailers to every kid on that list. Now let's say admissions rates drop to 5% as a result of a bunch of people who had no chance of getting in applying. Is my school better now somehow despite none of the factors that matter changing? In short, ceterus paribus, what is the value of the acceptance rate as a metric? Acceptance rate is the total yards given up on defense stat of college football. A stat of little importance that is overly harped on by those that know very little about football to the exclusion of better metrics. Hell acceptance rate is even worse because of how easily gamed it is.

Now I'm sure you are going to argue that hypotheticals like that are stupid and that in the real world acceptance rates are a good analogue for sussing out quality. After all if a school is desirable and selective it must be good, right? Not so fast, my friend. Let's look at some real world examples of gaming the USNWR by good schools (don't even want to get into the chicanery weaker schools engage in).

Did UChicago suddenly become a stronger school by switching to the CommonApp and driving up applications among those who didn't have a chance while the student body make up stayed roughly the same in terms of talent? Doubtful (some older alumni friends would say that it made the school worse by causing people with good scores who weren't the type of student to do the Uncommon App to get in, but w/e). Despite not improving the quality of the student body or the faculty, it elevated UChicago from a top 25 school in the 90s to a top 5 school today despite their faculty being just as good as it was 30 years ago and little change in the quality of students.

But nevertheless, after that decision Chicago flew up the ranks for one main reason. It killed their acceptance rate, which 25 years ago was 50% (because you didn't apply to UChicago back then if you weren't the type of student to get admission and deal with the academic culture of Chicago anyways), but the students were no better than before. The faculty was no better. All that changed was marketing by Nondorf when he became head of admissions and reporting methodology by Zimmer when he became head of the university. If you think a change in marketing and making the school where fun went to die a little less bleak is worth jumping up from where it was to top 5, that's your prerogative. I'd argue the metrics that consistently said they were elite are more valuable.

Those same metrics correctly establish UT as a 20-30 school in the country and a 30-40 school in the world. Fundamentally universities are research institutions that aim to teach the next generation of researchers (both in the sciences and the humanities) and changemakers. Unfortunately over time college has become more and more a vocational/pre-professional school (ironic, I know since I studied engineering) by another name, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't still heavily judge universities based on their primary purpose which is research and the generation of future difference makers. That's what CWUR, ARWU, USNWR Global, THE, etc. try to measure and those all go in our favor. If I really wanted to I could cherry pick certain science rankings like Nature's that are purely research based and depending on how I play with the data I could get us into the top 10. An honest reading of Nature's data regarding our research output puts as at around 13 in the country.

If you wanted to send UT to the top 30 in USWNR in 4 years it'd be pretty easy. Remove the cap on out of state/international students at the undergrad level (currently 90% of the incoming class must be Texans) and eliminate the top x% rule. That alone would change the international student metric and the SAT metric enough to be there. The student body might be a little bit better for metrics but I don't think it would be much better than in reality (we'd be basically doing the equivalent of taking a class full of Katy RBs if you want a college football analogy), in fact it would likely be worse if we got rid of the top X% rule (the student body may benefit from letting more non Texans in though, but in terms of meeting the needs of the state of Texas, the cap is pretty easily justifiable). This would be the case despite not changing the faculty at all. Gaming rankings is easy and I'm glad we don't do it at the expense of being a real school that serves Texas.

Edited by TheFlyingBoat
  • Like 3

My baby sister lives in Chicago.  During the winter when taking her trash to the street, she takes a big gulp of air as she's opening the garage door, holds it while running with the trash, leaving it by the curb, and doesn't exhale until she's back in the house.  She said it's gets so cold it hurts to breathe.  I told her I refuse to live any place where the Girl Scouts start selling cookies door to door when it's 30 below.  

Edited by Harrison Stafford

49 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

My baby sister lives in Chicago.  During the winter when taking her trash to the street, she takes a big gulp of air as she's opening the garage door, holds it while running with the trash, leaving it by the curb, and doesn't exhale until she's back in the house.  She said it's gets so cold it hurts to breathe.  I told her I refuse to live any place where the Girl Scouts start selling cookies door to door when it's 30 below.  

She sounds like she’s in great shape.  I’ll shoot you a DM.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, maninblack said:

If we keep Herman one more year only to hire Mike Norvell and watch a coach like Urban Meyer go elsewhere then lets just pack it in. This sports thing might not be for us.

I heard about what you did in Reno. Any chance you might be able to create a job opening for Urban?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Harrison Stafford said:

You know the rules; pictures and whatnot.

2 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Not sure I agree with your assessment of his sister. Seems as if the only time she's leaves the house in the winter is to take out the trash.

She probably weighs 300 pounds. Amazing lung capacity for such a shut in fat ass, but a fat ass none the less.

You see, I know a thing or two about medicine.  If you show me a 300 LB chick who can hold her breath for 3 full seconds, I’ll buy you her ass AND pussy for $20.  

• Like 3

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas