Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

For a laugh and fun Surly fodder...
Just now on Colin Cowturd, Colin was discussing with Doug Gottlieb a wild possibility of Saban as next Dallas Cowboys Head Coach
Gottlieb said no way at Dallas... then for fun mentioned maybe Saban to Texas in a year because the Longhorns might be looking for a new Head coach...
You're welcome Surly!!

His wife was just in Austin this past summer so that makes sense
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Just now on Colin Cowturd, Colin was discussing with Doug Gottlieb a wild possibility of Saban as next Dallas Cowboys Head Coach😂😂

Gottlieb said no way at Dallas... then for fun mentioned maybe Saban to Texas in a year because the Longhorns might be looking for a new Head coach...

You're welcome Surly!!

Missed playoff this year.  Do not want. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now on Colin Cowturd, Colin was discussing with Doug Gottlieb a wild possibility of Saban as next Dallas Cowboys Head Coach
You're welcome Surly!!

He couldn’t count to potato as HC, offer as a DC!
  • Haha 1

On 12/8/2019 at 6:35 PM, Bevo said:

Green will be good by the time he graduates. Sterns and Foster will be good. The issue with all of them is that they are young and are in a scheme that puts too much pressure on the dbs. It is not coaching. Jamison will be okay but he is short and Cook, well at least he was ranked high as a recruit.

On 12/8/2019 at 8:57 PM, Bevo said:

It depends. If I was running full speed directly at a defensive back standing still, there is very little chance that he could tackle me. The chances are about equal to a soccer player trying to stop a penalty kick. A good portion of our missed tackles were in the open field. Those tackles are nearly impossible against a D1 running back or WR. You have to put players in position to make those tackles. We weren't doing that.

And to compound things, we had players second guessing other players and getting themselves caught out of position. And injuries caused even more problems. With age these guys will improve. Washington and Navier aren't really to blame. Blame the defensive coordinator.

All of our DBs show horrible technique in coverage and poor tackling form (even when the scheme puts them in a good position). It’s both coaching and scheme. 
Trying to say that Naivar and Washington are blameless in our defensive issues this year is just laughable. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

All of our DBs show horrible technique in coverage and poor tackling form (even when the scheme puts them in a good position). It’s both coaching and scheme. 

Trying to say that Naivar and Washington are blameless in our defensive issues this year is just laughable. 

No doubt Mensa better stack his new Staff with assistants that can both develop players for NFL, and scheme & coach their asses off.

On Scipio Tex's recent "Everyone Get's a Trophy" podcast he talked about the perfect environment to compare experiments with how to run a successful CFB program...

• Ruhle and Herman both took their jobs 3yrs ago
  • One recruited better
  • The other was better at building his staff, player development, gameplanning, adjustments, and coaching
Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

DB coverage has been horrible but I’m wondering if part of the reason is due to a different technique being employed by Washington. Instead of turning their heads to locate the ball, they seem to be watching only the receiver and their hands when the ball arrives. They then try to knock it out of their hands.

The theory is that you don’t lose track of the receiver when you turn your head. The downside is that poorly thrown balls are still caught by the receiver because they adjust to it while the DB doesn’t. I’d like to see a mix of techniques where the DB recognizes the ball is way off by watching the receiver more closely for big movements to adjust, but not stop watching hand movements at the last second.

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

No doubt Mensa better stack his new Staff with assistants that can both develop players for NFL, and scheme & coach their asses off.

On Scipio Tex's recent "Everyone Get's a Trophy" podcast he talked about the perfect environment to compare experiments with how to run a successful CFB program...

• Ruhle and Herman both took their jobs 3yrs ago
  • One recruited better
  • The other was better at building his staff, player development, gameplanning, adjustments, and coaching

Hot-Seat-Tom500.gif

• Haha 1

On 12/7/2019 at 3:59 PM, Zepol87 said:

I was drinking the kool aid hard before the season started. Damnit

It was during the LSU game watching our secondary get torched over and over again that even my jameson addled brain could see the writing on the wall. Last time I watched a game in public. 

Thanks, immamac. 

2 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

It was during the LSU game watching our secondary get torched over and over again that even my jameson addled brain could see the writing on the wall. Last time I watched a game in public. 

Thanks, immamac. 

I actually thought that game would lead to adjustments until the PC's. Herman doubles down on playing dumb fb and TO doubles down on zero blitzing when nervous. 

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

DB coverage has been horrible but I’m wondering if part of the reason is due to a different technique being employed by Washington. Instead of turning their heads to locate the ball, they seem to be watching only the receiver and their hands when the ball arrives. They then try to knock it out of their hands.

The theory is that you don’t lose track of the receiver when you turn your head. The downside is that poorly thrown balls are still caught by the receiver because they adjust to it while the DB doesn’t. I’d like to see a mix of techniques where the DB recognizes the ball is way off by watching the receiver more closely for big movements to adjust, but not stop watching hand movements at the last second.

That’s not what I’m talking about, but I disagree they were taught not to turn. I’ve seen practice clips where Washington is talking to them about getting their heads turned around. I think it’s more they weren’t taught well when/how to get their head around. 

I was referencing things like outside/inside leverage in coverage, knowing where you have help, knowing contain assignments in tackling, press technique (coordination of feet, hops, and hands), etc. have all been terrible for both safeties and corners all year and that’s absolutely on the position coaching. 

• Like 1

That’s not what I’m talking about, but I disagree they were taught not to turn. I’ve seen practice clips where Washington is talking to them about getting their heads turned around. I think it’s more they weren’t taught well when/how to get their head around. 
I was referencing things like outside/inside leverage in coverage, knowing where you have help, knowing contain assignments in tackling, press technique (coordination of feet, hops, and hands), etc. have all been terrible for both safeties and corners all year and that’s absolutely on the position coaching. 

Wow that’s really stunning then. I’ve just been assuming that him not teaching head turns could be the only reason for not employing basic coverage techniques. I really don’t get what’s going on there.

I’ve also been thinking about Herman’s comments about too much time with the offense, wanting to be more of a CEO, and not liking all of the DB blitzing.

That indicates he lacks basic management skills. He didn’t understand how to juggle all of his responsibilities and direct his coordinators in a way to be effective. He should have recognized and shut down that DB blitzing weeks ago. He should have been able to use his staff to carry out offensive game plans more effectively rather than having to do it himself to the point where he had no time for the defense.

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Wow that’s really stunning then. I’ve just been assuming that him not teaching head turns could be the only reason for not employing basic coverage techniques. I really don’t get what’s going on there.

I’ve also been thinking about Herman’s comments about too much time with the offense, wanting to be more of a CEO, and not liking all of the DB blitzing.

That indicates he lacks basic management skills. He didn’t understand how to juggle all of his responsibilities and direct his coordinators in a way to be effective. He should have recognized and shut down that DB blitzing weeks ago. He should have been able to use his staff to carry out offensive game plans more effectively rather than having to do it himself to the point where he had no time for the defense.

Not really uncommon for a new senior level leader. It’s hard to step away when you know you can do it better yourself.

53 minutes ago, alphahorn said:

I would do anything if we could have a coach like PJ Fleck at Texas.  We need a guy who is all class both on and off the field.  

PJ Fleck does a lot of weird shit. Don’t think he’s a fit here. Who knows though? Maybe Texas needs something like that at this point. 

Just now, Istian said:

PJ Fleck does a lot of weird shit. Don’t think he’s a fit here. Who knows though? Maybe Texas needs something like that at this point. 

Yea at Texas we demand stable shit.  Platinum grilles and kissing players.  And how you going to row a boat when the lake is fucking dry every few years.

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

he's a dumbass blockhead masquerading as a football coach.  get your fucking DC under control when you have a crap load of injuries in your defensive backfield.  Adjust to get more of a pass rush from the DL and work zone concepts.  so fucking maddening.

the offense shitting the bed is even more on him.

fuck I so wanted him fired(even though I knew he wouldn't be).  He wasn't even close to being ready for this job,

Defensive position coaches were given very little opportunity to teach technique...most of the defensive time in practice was spent working on the 847 different blitzes we tried to run.

Position coaches repeatedly approached Orlando asking for teaching time, and he said no.  Apparently he's equal the egomaniac Herman is, if not worse.

During games, our defensive scheme was so complex that players spent too much time thinking about where they are supposed to be.  Thinking athletes are rarely successful.

***These are all facts, not speculation***

• Like 4

On 12/9/2019 at 10:59 AM, LTtxfan said:

jpeg

https://www.texaslsn.org/t-ring/

The T-Ring was first introduced to Texas athletics during Coach Royals first season as head coach at Texas (1957).   Royal created the unique award to recognize the student-athlete who lettered and graduated from UT.  

Head coach Mack Brown embraced that tradition when he arrived at Texas in 1998 and  continued to stress its importance, often stating that the Texas experience is not complete without the T-Ring. "We're really excited about how hard our guys work in the classroom," said Brown. "Seeing them earn their degrees and pick up their T-Rings is as rewarding as all of the victories they've helped us get on the field."

Edith Royal Said Coach Royal Got The Idea For The "T" Ring From His Idol, Oklahoma Coach Bud Wilkinson, Who Wore A Block "O" Ring For Oklahoma. Royal Mirrored This OU Tradition By Designing A "T" Ring To Present To All Graduating Letterman.

I didn't realize DKR idolized Bud Wilkinson.  He's not Barry Switzer, but  . . .  fuck.

been thinking more about Herman's 10-80-10 philosophy (which he took from Urban). it seems like a really bad idea to tell a group of 18-22 year old kids that are putting their long-term health on the line that 90% of them are either just ok or malcontents. put yourself in the crowd that's receiving that message...are you looking to go to bat for the guy relaying that message?

18 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

been thinking more about Herman's 10-80-10 philosophy (which he took from Urban). it seems like a really bad idea to tell a group of 18-22 year old kids that are putting their long-term health on the line that 90% of them are either just ok or malcontents. put yourself in the crowd that's receiving that message...are you looking to go to bat for the guy relaying that message?

Everyone wants to believe they are the 10%. Or that they will eventually be the 10%

45 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

It seems pretty clear that Tom has used the last page of his cracker jack psychology book and has no idea what to do next.  I mean, I know it is shocking that "play / try harder" isn't the solution to our problems, and somehow slimey sloppy eggs isn't helping either.  So....

20 hours ago, Istian said:

You mean like putting a grill on or kissing players or misquoting novellas or head butting players out of the blue? That kind of weird?

• Haha 2

On 12/12/2019 at 9:57 PM, texashorn13 said:

Defensive position coaches were given very little opportunity to teach technique...most of the defensive time in practice was spent working on the 847 different blitzes we tried to run.

Position coaches repeatedly approached Orlando asking for teaching time, and he said no.  Apparently he's equal the egomaniac Herman is, if not worse.

During games, our defensive scheme was so complex that players spent too much time thinking about where they are supposed to be.  Thinking athletes are rarely successful.

***These are all facts, not speculation***

I ain’t buying that. So I guess pop warner coaches have a ton of time to teach fundamentals because their fundamentals and ability to make a proper tackle are much better.

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas