Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

4 hours ago, Harrison Stafford said:

AND win National Championships.  We should go into every season with a team expected to compete for a NC.  Anything less is bullshit and not acceptable.  

You're stuck in the 2000s. It's been a decade since the program was relevant. How can a team that can't compete with California, Maryland, TCU and Okie St be expected to win a NC?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Herbie was right. Lulz. You’re moronic. How about a coach that comes in and wins, who knows he’ll be beloved if he simply does that?  I don’t want a coach scared to come here because of expectations. I don’t want a coach that wins a biggish bowl game once every 3 years in a 4-loss season with losses to Maryland and a 35 year old running OSU QB. 2018 was a success only relative to Charlie Strong and most Herman years. It was a bad year for Mack.  

How is Herbie wrong? He said we ran off Strong now we’re trying to run off the next guy. No coach wants to constantly be on the hot seat if you don’t win ten games every year. We’re talking about Urban, he might not want to come here and deal with our fans

One conference championship in 14 years because of "Class, then 'Countability, and now Culture"  

We are living through the longest hardware draught in Longhorn history because of complacency and bullshit.  

3 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

those people were dumbfucks

Yes, yes they were. Delusional dumbfucks is an appropriate description. A team that replaced 8 defensive starters in an offensively driven conference was not going to compete for a playoff slot. Plain and simple.

2 minutes ago, Chad said:

Yes, yes they were. Delusional dumbfucks is an appropriate description. A team that replaced 8 defensive starters in an offensively driven conference was not going to compete for a playoff slot. Plain and simple.

it's easy to tell the idiots that bought into the "we're back " bullshit, just look for the most butthurt posters here.

• Like 1

Yeah, I can’t believe anyone actually thought that Texas was going to improve from last year. I figured they would improve during the season though. Man was I wrong.

9 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Yeah, I can’t believe anyone actually thought that Texas was going to improve from last year. I figured they would improve during the season though. Man was I wrong.

That sugar bowl was fool's gold. Losses to Maryland and one of the worst Oklahoma State teams this decade. No proven depth at corner and a thin LB corps led me to feel a 9-3 type season was on the horizon in 2019. Hell, in retrospect that would've been much better compared to the shit show that transpired in 2019. With a DC that would've adapted his scheme that may have happened, but Orlando was too stubborn. To think it could've been worse, Dicker bailed out Herman a couple of times.

52 minutes ago, Chad said:

You're stuck in the 2000s. It's been a decade since the program was relevant. How can a team that can't compete with California, Maryland, TCU and Okie St be expected to win a NC?

I disagree. We were relevant this entire offseason. Of course that ended once the season started.

I expected 9 wins and no CCG appearance due to the losses on defense. I didn't, however, expect a complete implosion and offensive regression. Orlando being too stupid to adapt to what he had, and Herman's ego fucked this team. We have/had the offensive talent to win 9/10 games this year, but alas, here we are. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

I disagree. We were relevant this entire offseason. Of course that ended once the season started.

Preseason rankings are cancer, there shouldn't even be an AP or Coaches poll released until 3-4 weeks transpire. FWIW Texas wasn't even projected to win the Big 12. How can you consider a team that isn't even the favorite to win it's own conference a playoff contender or relevant?

A few field goals is nine points.  You feel that nine more points takes us from 5-4 in league play to 8-1 which was the record Of both teams this particular season.  

It would appear that in your pocket is the same scoring card that both Charlie Strong and Tom Herman possess.

I can only assume it is made by the same company that makes those black jack strategy cards they tell you to hit on 19 when the dealer is showing a five

Ignore the defensive stops leading to fewer scores by the other team and giving us another scoring opportunity.

We lost in conference by 7, 10, 2, 14.

So, yes, give me one TD stop by the defense per game and add 9 points and we are 8-1 in conference.

We didnt lose because of offense. The offense played well enough to win, except against Baylor.

We didn't take some fg points when we should have, but gave up TDs to easily.

The defense was historically bad. Offense was similar to last season, imo.

14 hours ago, Chad said:

No, I'm stuck in the 60's and 70's when (more often than not) we started the year among the teams that were part of the national championship discussion.  I didn't expect us to win a national championship this year, but I damn sure didn't expect the team to tank in the second half of the season and finish 7-5.  I grew up and attended UT at a time when we kicked ass on the gridiron.  That was the norm and what was expected from our teams.  I hope like hell Herman's hires give us a product next year befitting a university with a great football tradition.  Am not getting any younger and would like a few more national championships in my lifetime.

1 hour ago, Harrison Stafford said:

Am not getting any younger and would like a few more national championships in my lifetime.

Now this has been corrected so that an aggy can say it. It is nice that in these bad times we can say the phrase as it was originally written and lean on aggy to feel better.

6 hours ago, Cajun said:

Nope, he's spot on.

Bullshit. Not only do I not believe that, I don't even believe you could actually believe it. Of course the CFP and the natty is the goal every season, but if you actually wouldn't give a shit about a 10+ win conference championship season because it's not the CFP, I don't understand why you even bother to watch, and I question whether you even like college football... like you realize that most college football fans root for teams that will probably never make the CFP and they still manage to get like 100x more enjoyment out of it than you apparently do, right?

Edited by Thermos H. Christ

Ha. We only sniffed a Big 12 championship opportunity in this decade because they created a bullshit repeat game instead of just letting the team at the top win outright. Before that, we weren't close to winning a Big 12 Championship outside of a slim chance in 2013. But yeah, 10 wins and a Big 12 Championship would be just awful. It's CFP or nothing. You guys and your ridiculous standards.

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Thermos H. Christ said:

Bullshit. Not only do I not believe that, I don't even believe you could actually believe it. Of course the CFP and the natty is the goal every season, but if you actually wouldn't give a shit about a 10+ win conference championship season because it's not the CFP, I don't understand why you even bother to watch, and I question whether you even like college football... like you realize that most college football fans root for teams that will probably never make the CFP and they still manage to get like 100x more enjoyment out of it than you apparently do, right?

It all depends if you're gonna really drill down here.  

10 win season against the sisters of the poor schedule = fuck you, I'm not impressed.

10 win season against a real schedule, and yeah, I'm with you.

Mack Brown 2.0 made a living off of 10 win season bootlickers who  were satisfied with a meaningless number and were interested in looking no further.  Using that simple number as an end all/be all metric is just the kind of enabling a coach with his feet up on the handle bars craves.

Edited by Cajun

On 12/18/2019 at 7:42 PM, BradInATX said:

No, he hasn't done everything we were concerned about.

One of the biggest concerns we had was that, despite having virtually unlimited resources to perform a nationwide search for the most competent coordinators in the country, he would hire his current cronies and strip club buddies vs. the most qualified person he can get. That he would go get yes men instead of people with new ideas to improve a seven win team.

And the one major hire (DC) he's made has been exactly what everyone was concerned about. Exactly what a narcissistic man-child who is entirely in over his head would do. And exactly what most of us who see him for what he is were expecting.

He's a fraud and a fake tough guy chump, and the sooner we're rid of him the sooner we can make our way back to national prominence.

Dude... there is no better way to describe what has been boiling in my brain since the cunt sacks hired this buffoon.

On 12/19/2019 at 8:55 PM, Jkwellborn said:

I mean it was not like we were that great. I didn't see any reason the new guys might not be better than the mediocrities they replaced. I was wrong but oh well. I usually am.

Edited by Valmy77

On 12/19/2019 at 9:24 PM, Chad said:

Preseason rankings are cancer, there shouldn't even be an AP or Coaches poll released until 3-4 weeks transpire. FWIW Texas wasn't even projected to win the Big 12. How can you consider a team that isn't even the favorite to win it's own conference a playoff contender or relevant?

Because Georgia doesn't want to be there. 

On 12/20/2019 at 7:51 AM, Snacks said:

We didnt lose because of offense. The offense played well enough to win, except against Baylor.

How people continue to believe this baffles me. 

• Like 1

It all depends if you're gonna really drill down here.  
10 win season against the sisters of the poor schedule = fuck you, I'm not impressed.
10 win season against a real schedule, and yeah, I'm with you.
Mack Brown 2.0 made a living off of 10 win season bootlickers who  were satisfied with a meaningless number and were interested in looking no further.  Using that simple number as an end all/be all metric is just the kind of enabling a coach with his feet up on the handle bars craves.

I would hate to have Mack Brown success at Texas. I much prefer struggling for bowl eligibility to success. It is much more exciting to play second tier opponents than to actually beat them with regularity.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Nivek said:

I would hate to have Mack Brown success at Texas. I much prefer struggling for bowl eligibility to success. It is much more exciting to play second tier opponents than to actually beat them with regularity.

I am glad Mack 2010's is gone. It took us 3 coaches and 21 years before we got Mack after Royal which resulted in a decent 12 year and 1 MNC run.  Sorry guys we may just be 6 years into those 21 years. I hope this time around it does not take so long.

13 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Guy on 247 said Herman was nice enough to take a picture with him and his son tonight at Zilker "Trail of Lights"....  (Shoulda done Double Bird... HaHa)

9581627.jpeg

I hope he then asked Herman why he loves to throw on 3rd and 2, in games where we're averaging 5+ ypc.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Seriously. How many more times do we have to fuck this up? Next year is a throwaway season. Then we’re looking for the next coach. Honestly, i don’t give a shit if we hire 15 assistant coaches and let some data scientist create algos to call plays—and the algos would essentially be our “corch”. Im running out of years and the youth in my family have never witnessed a good Texas run.

On 12/19/2019 at 3:24 PM, Reagan1k said:

I have no doubt that Tom has a very high IQ and is a capable football coach when it comes to X’s And O’s.

But.... he reminds me of the killer, rain-maker sales guy that is arrogant, eccentric and a loose cannon.  He does what he does very well but outside of that small box he’s difficult to be around and alienates a lot of people who work with him.  

You can’t always take the top sales guy and make him the Sales Manager and I think that’s what’s been done here.  

God damn, those sales guys are the best and the worst, at the same time - all the time.  Maddening.  Great descriptor.  

Let this sink in - Mack Brown even figured out he needed to get someone from the Air Raid coaching tree. And as far as I know, his OC choice wasn’t an old buddy from NC, Etc. Mack Brown could possibly outperform Herman. That would be painful to see.

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Let this sink in - Mack Brown even figured out he needed to get someone from the Air Raid coaching tree. And as far as I know, his OC choice wasn’t an old buddy from NC, Etc. Mack Brown could possibly outperform Herman. That would be painful to see.

Yurcich seems like a good hire. It is Ash and and the comfort hires for position coaches that are very worrisome. Ash has a good resume as a DC the problem is that he is a buddy and may feel comfortable not performing at 100% for Tom. In addition, all these position hires are giving Herman "Il Duce " type praise which tells me that they feel Herman needs it because he is a narcissist.

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Aha.  great opportunity for a really strange theory.  Remember when Tom claimed Mack was a mentor?  Look at UNC's bowl game this year. Mack's team destroyed the other team, winning by about 30 something points, for some strange reason not letting off the gas.   Tom followed suit, not turtling for once.  

Mack really is either talking to Tom or Tom is simply following Mack's lead.   Mack's coaches will easily have that team ready to play.  Mack probably wins 8 or 9 games next year, and Tom....9 or 10.

3 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Yurcich seems like a good hire. It is Ash and and the comfort hires for position coaches that are very worrisome. Ash has a good resume as a DC the problem is that he is a buddy and may feel comfortable not performing at 100% for Tom. In addition, all these position hires are giving Herman "Il Duce " type praise which tells me that they feel Herman needs it because he is a narcissist.

I doubt Ash is going to just slack off. I think Ash is young enough to want to try and earn another HC gig and a school it’s easier to win at. 

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas