Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

On 1/14/2020 at 8:52 AM, orangecat92 said:

Aha.  great opportunity for a really strange theory.  Remember when Tom claimed Mack was a mentor?  Look at UNC's bowl game this year. Mack's team destroyed the other team, winning by about 30 something points, for some strange reason not letting off the gas.   Tom followed suit, not turtling for once.  

Mack really is either talking to Tom or Tom is simply following Mack's lead.   Mack's coaches will easily have that team ready to play.  Mack probably wins 8 or 9 games next year, and Tom....9 or 10.

I've seen some reaches but...

891.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

So wait. Apparently Baylor, yes BAYLOR, knows how to hire head coaches and we’re stuck with this jackass AND committed ourselves to a throwaway year.

Fuck this shit.

I'm not saying I'm happy with Herman, but what qualifies Aranda to seem far superior to January 2015 version of TH?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

I'm not saying I'm happy with Herman, but what qualifies Aranda to seem far superior to January 2015 version of TH?

He’s superior because he’s unknown as a HC while Herman has proven he can’t hire coach’s for shit and is questionable as fuck game management 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 5 months later...
[mention=922]Goo Punch[/mention] made one of the most insightful observations I've ever read on the football board when he used just two words to mock our fanbase's mentality and attitude.
"DEMAND PERFECTION."
Still makes me chuckle.
But seriously, anything less than a CFB playoff appearance this season is UNACCEPTABLE.

Playoffs? You’re talking about playoffs? I just hope we have a damn game
  • Like 1

[mention=922]Goo Punch[/mention].
But seriously, anything less than a CFB playoff appearance this season is UNACCEPTABLE.

Firing coaches every 3 or 4 years always have worked out for schools like aggy, Oregon. Usc, Florida state, miami, etc.

I know, one of these is not like the others but the results are the same.

#MensaTom did not inherit a smoothly-running, top-of-the-line  machine like #FuckLincolnRiley, much less as did what's-his-name Day. He inherited a disorganized mess, which - whatever any of us us may say or think about his results so far - is measurably better than what he started with, although not as good as what we hoped it would be by now.

The interruption of all things has left us with fewer measurements to consider, but the dearth of usual off-season meals of shit sandwiches and koolaid notwithstanding, many will agree that things do seem likely to be improved still more and we expect to have better scoreboard control if and when the season arrives.

#MensaTom has made his bed, using nothing but his own skill and daring - well, and a considerable number of millions of dollars of (mostly) Other People's Money. His arrogance has indeed diminished markedly, although it flashes out on odd occasions.

If he has learned to avoid the urges to be seen as the cleverest guy in the room, at both press conferences and play-calling, we will see the plus-side of our usual 10-2 +/-2 seasonal expectations come to fruition. He has repeatedly shown the ability to prepare the team for big games, while also allowing lesser games to be lost to ... what, lack of preparation, unexpected circumstances, stupid playcalling (seemingly more designed to make #MensaTom look smart and tough rather than to win games)... whatever. 

If he has learned to concentrate on preparing the coaches and players mentally and let his coaches handle the hows to his strategic whats, he will be joining the Good Coaches Club. It has looked like the choices for the overhauled staff have been made well. If not, he's still a fuckup and we need to keep looking. I'll be a lot happier if Yurcich turns Sam into Joe Burrow and Ash builds a defense that actually gets to the quarterback on Third and Orlando, and so will you.

• 4 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Xian said:

I’m still not convinced he is all that great. I mean, has there been a better program for a coach in inherit? 

(maybe coach O at LSU?)

This is the worst take I've heard in a while, like far and away braindead take. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Xian said:

I’m still not convinced he is all that great. I mean, has there been a better program for a coach in inherit? 

(maybe coach O at LSU?)

The shithole recycling machine in Ohio.   OU may have the dock market cornered, but those other fuckers have purchased and evaded their way into a 3rd transition near the top.   
riley may have stepped into a more stable situation, Orgeron stepped into better talent.  

the big winner is over at aggy making $75M for status quo of 4th in conference.   I mean, I absolutely bleed orange and abhor aggy, but I would give up 3 years of my life working to get fired for $75m.  

8 hours ago, Xian said:

In what way? (Besides the extra “in” of course)

3 peat big xii champions

back to back Heisman trophies (would also have been a 3 peat if it weren't for that pesky Joe Burrow).

Fired Mike Stoops.

Beats Texas when it matters (stings, but true).

Clearly has a close and connected pulse on the locker room.

Recruiting has not dropped off at all.

Never not had a 1st round draft pick.

27 players in the NFL who make rosters.

10 of which are still starters or top tier contributors. 

Would you like me to keep going? 

It's also a losers fucking take to say coach O inherited his way into a national championship squad with the most prolific offense that college football has ever seen statistically. Texas didn't win that game last year I shouldnt have to remind you. LSU was undefeated. Want me to talk about who they beat to stay that way? 

Florida, Alabama, Auburn, Texas, Georgia, Oklahoma, Clemson

Like get the fuck out of here do you even watch college football? 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

. Want me to talk about who they beat to stay that way? 

Pretty impressive. Intrigued and unrelated, I looked up the final 2019 cfp poll which seems like it occurred 10 years ago. Utah finished ahead of Alabama. I bet that didn't sit well with them.

12 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Pretty impressive. Intrigued and unrelated, I looked up the final 2019 cfp poll which seems like it occurred 10 years ago. Utah finished ahead of Alabama. I bet that didn't sit well with them.

I mean tua going down was pretty bad. That was after LSU though. Imagine playing 2009 all over again with squints instead of pistolas. 

5 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

It’s interesting to know that any team, no matter what the variables are, coached by Riley would have won 3 conference championships.

Is that what I said? I must be delusional as I swear I have read that post 10 times now and can't for the life of me figure out where I implied Lincoln Riley coaching any other team other than the Oklahoma Sooners. Make whatever fucking straw man you want Lincoln Riley isn't a bad coach and has had more career and recent success than Herman could hope to have in the next 3 seasons already. 

If Lincoln retired today. He has a far greater legacy than Herman has its a wide margin that only gets closed by a National Championship or similar accomplishments. Winning a sugar bowl doesn't make you a great CFB coach sorry bro.

I can't believe I have to defend Lincoln Riley of all people because fuck that guy and fuck OU. Don't be Aggy about it though and that's an indictment coming from an Aggie. 

• Like 1

LOL.  The ole “The only reason you guys think he’s a good coach is cause he recruits good players,  gets his players to play well, and  wins lots of games” argument never gets old.  “If he had bad players or couldn’t maximize the players he had then he wouldn’t be so good!”

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, USNALonghorn said:

The guy that can stumble-fuck his way through a soft Big12 schedule only to be brutally assraped every time he sees the big stage? No thanks.

You say this like the university of Texas has ever put a 3 year run together like OU just did under Riley. The guy can clearly coach and develop offensive talent as well, or better than anyone in the country

Riley inherited a better situation than Herman and is, unfortunately for us, a better coach than Herman. Both can be true.

Anyway, maybe the two possibly competent coordinators, the type of which he should have hired in 2017, will work out for us this year and we’ll contend for the conference. Assuming there’s actually a season. Remember, hope is a good thing.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Riley inherited a better situation than Herman and is, unfortunately for us, a better coach than Herman. Both can be true.

Anyway, maybe the two possibly competent coordinators, the type of which he should have hired in 2017, will work out for us this year and we’ll contend for the conference. Assuming there’s actually a season. Remember, hope is a good thing.

Hope is a dangerous thing

• Like 2

Is that what I said? I must be delusional as I swear I have read that post 10 times now and can't for the life of me figure out where I implied Lincoln Riley coaching any other team other than the Oklahoma Sooners. Make whatever fucking straw man you want Lincoln Riley isn't a bad coach and has had more career and recent success than Herman could hope to have in the next 3 seasons already. 
If Lincoln retired today. He has a far greater legacy than Herman has its a wide margin that only gets closed by a National Championship or similar accomplishments. Winning a sugar bowl doesn't make you a great CFB coach sorry bro.
I can't believe I have to defend Lincoln Riley of all people because fuck that guy and fuck OU. Don't be Aggy about it though and that's an indictment coming from an Aggie. 

And likewise, where did I ever say he was a bad coach? And why does aggy care who coaches Texas or ou?

2 hours ago, immamac said:

3 peat big xii champions

back to back Heisman trophies (would also have been a 3 peat if it weren't for that pesky Joe Burrow).

Fired Mike Stoops.

Beats Texas when it matters (stings, but true).

Clearly has a close and connected pulse on the locker room.

Recruiting has not dropped off at all.

Never not had a 1st round draft pick.

27 players in the NFL who make rosters.

10 of which are still starters or top tier contributors. 

Would you like me to keep going? 

It's also a losers fucking take to say coach O inherited his way into a national championship squad with the most prolific offense that college football has ever seen statistically. Texas didn't win that game last year I shouldnt have to remind you. LSU was undefeated. Want me to talk about who they beat to stay that way? 

Like get the fuck out of here do you even watch college football? 

All that talent and ability and he has yet to win a  bowl / playoff game...  

Edited by Xian

17 hours ago, Rimbo said:

I don't know if Herman will be able to rebuild us into a perennial Top 5 or not.

But I'm pretty much convinced that Lincoln Riley is OU's version of Fred Akers. But on offense, rather than defense.

great reminder of Fred.  Freddie was completely 100% tunnel vision.  Would put all of the best athletes on D....and it should have worked!  If Edwin Simmons doesn't have one leg longer than the other, he doesn't get injured, and the 1983 team has an explosive back hitting the hole so fast, the Georgia D would not know he blew by them.  The final score in that game would have been something like 24 to 3.  National champs.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Horn Dog said:

LOL.  The ole “The only reason you guys think he’s a good coach is cause he recruits good players,  gets his players to play well, and  wins lots of games” argument never gets old.  “If he had bad players or couldn’t maximize the players he had then he wouldn’t be so good!”

Exactly. Mack Brown was never a good coach. All he did was put a bunch of gangsters and badass winners on the field and got them to consistently kick the shit out of lesser teams. 

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas