Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

There's little fire among the players when they make mistakes or cost the team due to poor effort.  It's not all on them of course, but why the hell is game week against nearly everyone in the Big 12 "workmanlike, taking care of business" as if we're an untouchable juggernaut that can win any game if we so choose.  Texas has a straight up talent disadvantage against tech in multiple positions yet no coaches nor players acknowledge that reality.  Makes it far too easy for opposing coaches to target the weakness that Texas is completely ignorant about.  Yeah O guess it is on Tom, self scouting under him has been absolutely abysmal year after year

• Like 1

Loved the win. Loved the fact the team didn’t give up. Would love to win out or even finish with 1 or 2 losses. As long as one of those losses is in a championship or playoff game of some kind. I would gladly jump on a keep Herman train. But we all know what he is and what he’s not capable of. So for now. I’ll keep enjoying this win.  There’ll be plenty of time for more Fuck Herman posts. Probably much sooner than later.......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

I have to hand it to Herman. He usually just loses to shitty teams but today he went the extra mile and made it a humiliating ass whipping.

I don't even care that much, just frankly surprised he had me so fooled again. I'm a real moron for thinking we had a great team this year.

Or...maybe we come back and win. Whatever.

Ok I guess I will now have to post about how Tom Herman lost every game this season.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

It was like Tom took over play calling again In the second half, same conservative bullshit from last year with a lead.  Run, run, pass or pass for 1 yard hope he breaks tackles, run, pass, totally different then utep game calling.  That shit needs to change and I think it might of had something to do with Tom in Yurcich’s ear.

• Hook 'Em 1

Tom's here to stay for the foreseeable future, barring some crazy meltdown like a losing season.  He's not a bad coach like Strong, but he's not a very good one either, and his remaining time here will probably be like 2017-2019 and his tenure at UH: some big wins, far too many inexcusable losses, and no rings.  The last 10+ years have convinced me we have a very low chance of finding anyone who could do much better. 

This our Sisphyian fate.  We might as well lay back Clayton Williams-style and enjoy it.  Enjoy the stolen wins while you can.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, mdmost said:

You can want him gone but it will not happen till 2022 at the earliest 

You misunderstand. No matter the outcome of this game he wasn't getting fired. What is wrong is your implication that because the outcome of this game went the way of miracles he should be forgiven.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

He's not a bad coach like Strong, but he's not a very good one either, and his remaining time here will probably be like 2017-2019 and his tenure at UH: some big wins, far too many inexcusable losses, and no rings.    

Yup. It is clear who he is at this point. His teams are inconsistent and fundamentally unsound. He recruits pretty well, but will never lock down the state like Mack did. Add it all up and he's a mediocre coach who'll go somewhere between 7-5 and 9-3 almost every year. 

I still can't get over how he takes pains to portray this big dick alpha male persona but actually turtles and plays not to lose.  Someone did a nice psychological analysis on that a while back but whatever the cause, I'm sick of getting the lead and then playing like we're an underdog surprised we have it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

I still can't get over how he takes pains to portray this big dick alpha male persona but actually turtles and plays not to lose.  Someone did a nice psychological analysis on that a while back but whatever the cause, I'm sick of getting the lead and then playing like we're an underdog surprised we have it.

mack's bullshit sunshine was more tolerable than the passive/aggressive crap we're going to get from therm at the presser tomorrow.

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

Tom's here to stay for the foreseeable future, barring some crazy meltdown like a losing season.  He's not a bad coach like Strong, but he's not a very good one either, and his remaining time here will probably be like 2017-2019 and his tenure at UH: some big wins, far too many inexcusable losses, and no rings.  The last 10+ years have convinced me we have a very low chance of finding anyone who could do much better. 

This our Sisphyian fate.  We might as well lay back Clayton Williams-style and enjoy it.  Enjoy the stolen wins while you can.  

Bite your tongue.  Clayton is no longer with us.  I’m not that miserable....yet

2 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Tom's here to stay for the foreseeable future, barring some crazy meltdown like a losing season.  He's not a bad coach like Strong, but he's not a very good one either...  The last 10+ years have convinced me we have a very low chance of finding anyone who could do much better.   This our Sisphyian fate.  We might as well lay back Clayton Williams-style and enjoy it.  Enjoy the stolen wins while you can.  

Sisyphean

Tom is doing pretty good in coaching.  From reading about the game and watching extended highlights I only saw three big areas of execution needed for improvement.  Blocking, tackling, catching punts and onside kicks.  When we finally get rid of Tom, I say get someone who can coach these areas.  When Tom is out of coaching, he can be a tv analyst and marvel at our ability to block, tackle, and catch punts and kicks.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

the press needs to grill Herman on the defense in tomorrows presser. I want to know why there were no adjustments made to get pressure on the QB 

Our problems were not the pass rush or lack of pressure. Our DL was doing a decent job getting pressure, but our coverage was so bad they were able to get the ball out quickly the entire game. You can’t get pressure when the LBs are leaving slant routes open almost immediately after the snap. 

56 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Our problems were not the pass rush or lack of pressure. Our DL was doing a decent job getting pressure, but our coverage was so bad they were able to get the ball out quickly the entire game. You can’t get pressure when the LBs are leaving slant routes open almost immediately after the snap. 

Yeah, Mitchell was lazy yesterday, and Overshown not sure where to be (inexperience at LB) and overpursued way too much...

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

I don’t understand why we don’t play press coverage and slow the receivers down or disrupt their routes and give our defensive line a chance to get to the QB.  I can’t stand watching them pick us apart.  I know it’s not quite that simple but at least try it from time to time.  

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas