Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

26 minutes ago, stork642 said:

I don’t understand why we don’t play press coverage and slow the receivers down or disrupt their routes and give our defensive line a chance to get to the QB.  I can’t stand watching them pick us apart.  I know it’s not quite that simple but at least try it from time to time.  

Especially if we're playing the safeties back. 

56 minutes ago, stork642 said:

I don’t understand why we don’t play press coverage and slow the receivers down or disrupt their routes and give our defensive line a chance to get to the QB.  I can’t stand watching them pick us apart.  I know it’s not quite that simple but at least try it from time to time.  

I think Ash likes the corners to play press.  Our biggest issue in pass coverage is the middle of the field with our LBs.  We've been awful in two games now in that respect.  Even against UTEP our LBs looked lost in pass coverage.  

I have been saying Tom is this era's Mackovic. Tom due to his arrogance and Mackovic due to his stubbornness. They just can't get what needs to be done acomplished. Now this from an article in reference to bring 1-0 in conference play for four strait years. "Tom Herman became the first Texas coach to accomplish the feat since John Mackovic did it from 1992-1995 in the Southwest Conference." It is an omen.

8 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

I have been saying Tom is this era's Mackovic. Tom due to his arrogance and Mackovic due to his stubbornness. They just can't get what needs to be done acomplished. Now this from an article in reference to bring 1-0 in conference play for four strait years. "Tom Herman became the first Texas coach to accomplish the feat since John Mackovic did it from 1992-1995 in the Southwest Conference." It is an omen.

4giirm.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Now this from an article in reference to bring 1-0 in conference play for four strait years. "Tom Herman became the first Texas coach to accomplish the feat since John Mackovic did it from 1992-1995 in the Southwest Conference." It is an omen.

This isn’t remotely accurate. Mack Brown won the first Big 12 game every year from 1999-2006 and 2008-2014.

7 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

the parallel's are pretty crazy

Royal great - did fade a bit at the end

McWilliams - defensive guy - not a head coach at all

Mackovic - O Genius supposedly - completely inconsistent

Brown - Great for a while but faded hard at the end

Strong - defensive guy - not a head coach at all

Herman - O genius supposedly - completely inconsistent

we've just got to fire Herman so we can get back to Great

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Did we skip Fred? Or was Mack Fred they just caught the punt this time.

Edited by DanTheHorn

24 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Did we skip Fred? Or was Mack Fred they just caught the punt this time.

ha. good point.  you are right, Fred could be Mack without the opportunity to "right the ship" because we shit the bed against ND and dropped the punt.

Edited by dcar00

6 hours ago, dcar00 said:

Who would you want us to hire? 

21 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Tom's here to stay for the foreseeable future, barring some crazy meltdown like a losing season.  He's not a bad coach like Strong, but he's not a very good one either, and his remaining time here will probably be like 2017-2019 and his tenure at UH: some big wins, far too many inexcusable losses, and no rings.  The last 10+ years have convinced me we have a very low chance of finding anyone who could do much better. 

This our Sisphyian fate.  We might as well lay back Clayton Williams-style and enjoy it.  Enjoy the stolen wins while you can.  

Good ol Urban still out there

10 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

We will lose 3 games this year due to the team playing down to their opponent and being completely shocked they got their ass whipped. 

We can’t do anything about herman though. Athletic department is losing a lot of money this year.

And we will beat Oklahoma by 3 touchdowns. 

7 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

He's biding his time until Herman's contract is up in 2022. Already poisoned the well by endorsing the Chris Ash hire. 

According to FCB, Herman's contract is not up in 2022... 

"Tom Herman is set to earn $6 million in 2020; $6.25 million in 2021; $6.5 million in 2022; and $6.75 million in 2023."

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-football-assistant-coaches-raises-Herb-Hand-Stan-Drayton-Yancy-McKnight-Mark-Hagen-146782926/

3 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Who would you want us to hire? 

Art Briles, Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, Jimbo Fisher...in order.  please respect my decision.

seriously though, I wasn't saying we should fire Herman, although I do believe he's not the guy to bring home the hardware.

From a pure coaching perspective, I think they should have gone after Patterson.  Its way easier to fix the O vs. the D because one player can make all the difference.  We've shown that over the last decade.  D is not like that, especially these days. Some middle linebacker isn't going to control the game and make 20 tackles(Nobis style). modern offenses(and rules) force the D to play as a unit and more than anything you have to know what every other player is doing and trust them.

There really is no sure thing other than Meyer and we aren't touching him.

I hope Herman breaks out past Mackovic levels and at least gets to Fred(even though I passed him on my list) levels.  In Fred's time we were solid enough to have likely been in a 4 team playoff 3 times.  Hey, maybe we go after Craig Bohl?

Edited by dcar00

4 hours ago, horn.g20 said:

Mackovic won 3 consecutive conference championships wheras baby mensa tard will never win even when 0u is in a down year.

I knew he was a loser from day 1, just like charlie.

everyone brings this up.  to be honest I really don't care about conf championships other than the fact that you have to more than likely win one to be considered for the NC.

winning a conf with a 9-3/8-4 record is whatever....but agree it is better than coming in second.  95 and 96 were very nice to have given they were the last SWC(over aggy)and first Big 12 and we stole Neb's lunch money.  94 was the tallest midget conf champ.

Herman is miles ahead of Charlie about tied with McWilliams but solidly behind Mackovic for now.

Edited by dcar00
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Herman is miles ahead of Charlie about tied with McWilliams but solidly behind Mackovic for now

Idk about the Mackovic thing. Mackovic only outright won the conference once and Herman’s Sugar Bowl win is a way better bowl win than Mackovic ever had. Mackvic’s 95 season and Herman’s 2018 season are pretty comparable. Other than the 95 season, Mackovic went 31-26-1. That’s a 53% win percentage. So far Herman’s 17-11 besides 2018, which is 60%. So I’d say Herman’s pretty much in the same ballpark as Mackovic right now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Other than the 95 season, Mackovic went 31-26-1. That’s a 53% win percentage. So far Herman’s 17-11 besides 2018, which is 60%. So I’d say Herman’s pretty much in the same ballpark as Mackovic right now. 

You’re taking away the best 1/3 of Herman’s record but only the best 1/6 of Mackovic’s record. 

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Idk about the Mackovic thing. Mackovic only outright won the conference once and Herman’s Sugar Bowl win is a way better bowl win than Mackovic ever had. Mackvic’s 95 season and Herman’s 2018 season are pretty comparable. Other than the 95 season, Mackovic went 31-26-1. That’s a 53% win percentage. So far Herman’s 17-11 besides 2018, which is 60%. So I’d say Herman’s pretty much in the same ballpark as Mackovic right now. 

and thats fair.  maybe slightly behind mackovic for now.  if he wins the conf or has another top 10 finish, I would put him past him given the sugar bow win as well. given mackovic never had a top 10 finish.

7 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I get all the butthurt over the game but honestly most of our teams the last few years would not have been able to pull this one off. And a number of them would have just quit. So there’s that at least in my mind.

But yea, there’s work to do. Same as it ever was.

But that’s the thing. We shouldn’t have pulled it off. You have to get pretty lucky to overcome a win probability of 99.7% late in the 4th quarter. The ball has to bounce your way a few times, the other team has to do a number of things to let you back in the game. I’m happy we won in terms of our season record, but when I’m grading Herman he doesn’t get “credit” for a miraculous comeback. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I get all the butthurt over the game but honestly most of our teams the last few years would not have been able to pull this one off. And a number of them would have just quit. So there’s that at least in my mind.

But yea, there’s work to do. Same as it ever was.

Pull what off? Starting strong against an inferior team, then letting then pick apart an unsound and poorly-coached defense, squandering the lead with a terrible 2nd half featuring numerous unforced mistakes, and then finally mounting a frantic late comeback? We did all of that in the Kansas game from last year, and what did it lead to? Losses in three of our next four games.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas