Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

4 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!?!?

I havent heard this , but that is funny and not in the feel good funny, more the laughing to stop from crying funny . Lord have mercy 

https://www.hookem.com/columns/20181011/bohls-post-maryland-texas-letting-chips-fall-may/

Come game day at the stadium, the players walk up to a shiny silver canister in the middle of the locker room and drop in their chips.

"The biggest thing the chips have done for our team is provide a tangible example for everyone in the program to show they’re all in,” Herman said Thursday. “We tell the guys all the time, you don’t win games on Saturday, you win with your relentless preparation starting on Sunday. The chips represent the completion of that work week. When your chips go in the bucket on Saturday, you’re saying I’ve put in the work, I’m prepared and ready and I’m going to give everything I have for my teammates, these coaches and this team today.”

Edited by Foosters
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Maybe he watches more football than you. Like for example when Iowa State plays Iowa, Northern Iowa, Louisiana-Lafayette, games like that. 

Campbell leaving all 3 timeouts on the board while louisiana was going up by 2 scores late in the fourth was Hermanesque.  Don't want that guy making gameday decisions for us.

2 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

Campbell leaving all 3 timeouts on the board while louisiana was going up by 2 scores late in the fourth was Hermanesque.  Don't want that guy making gameday decisions for us.

Yeah I just love bitching about little league hires and seeing Matt Campbell being mentioned in this thread...

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

This says it all

"Derek Warehime came up with the idea"

Wait a minute. Is that the one we hate or was that the wide receivers coach. Theres been so much hatred with coaches i get them confused now 

we hate them both. he's the one who apparently took such an offensive shit in a recruit's bathroom that the kid committed elsewhere.

fitting when you think about it.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Ash was beyond fucking terrible as a Head Coach at Rutgers - but I'd have no problem if CDC handed him the interim title.  Ash can coach the defense and allow Yurcich to coach the offense without Herman's meddling and lets finish out this season.    

And at least we would see what we had with them, and know whether we need to have them replaced as well. Honestly no one should want this more the Yurcich. Even if the next coach doesn’t want to keep him he would have a good resume builder if the offense hums without coach fuck face breathing down his neck

• Rage+1 1

23 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

I don't know about a pee chart but swinging around sledgehammers, toting baseball bats on the team bus, sporting gold teeth and oversized jewelry, kissing players, mocking an opposing team's QB (albeit deserved) and god knows what else this clown does are gimmicky, and simply weird.   At $7MM / year, it's comical to be displaying and (I assume) relying upon candy-ass shtick to help produce results instead of focusing on things that matter.  Like planning, scheming, instilling discipline and a slew of other things.  Things real coaches do. 

We can focus on results.   And it'd be easy to say none of the above would matter if Herman was successful.  But he's not.  He's showing to be an unbridled failure.  The bizarre things he does are just indicative of someone who, instead of focusing on and prioritizing things that matter,  is the definition of a fraud. 

Mensa, indeed. 

Deserving or not, that is something that should never be done by the head coach of a major college football team. That was embarrassing.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Deserving or not, that is something that should never be done by the head coach of a major college football team. That was embarrassing.

Yes. A clown-like move by the player.   A clown-like reaction by the coach.   The coach is supposed to know better.   

Ours doesn't. 

5 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Yes. A clown-like move by the player.   A clown-like reaction by the coach.   The coach is supposed to know better.   

Ours doesn't. 

That was my point then. I remember getting a healthy dose of shit for saying that on TOS.

5 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

It is the kind of Stever Spurrier shenanigans you can only get away with if you win.

Spurrier's shenanigans were pretty much limited to trash talk before and after a game as well as running up a score or two. He never would've been caught doing what Herman did that night.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

That was my point then. I remember getting a healthy dose of shit for saying that on TOS.

Spurrier's shenanigans were pretty much limited to trash talk before and after a game as well as running up a score or two. He never would've been caught doing what Herman did that night.

Yeah but it was very unprofessional trash talk and very unprofessional running up the score in an era where both were outrageous and unheard of.

If you are going to do very unprofessional and outrageous things you better back it up like Steve did. Herman couldn't.

19 minutes ago, Foosters said:

we hate them both. he's the one who apparently took such an offensive shit in a recruit's bathroom that the kid committed elsewhere.

fitting when you think about it.

So Warehime must have also inspired the clogged toilet offense. I bet they call the 3rd quarter "Waretime."

4 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah but it was very unprofessional trash talk and very unprofessional running up the score in an era where both were outrageous and unheard of.

If you are going to do very unprofessional and outrageous things you better back it up like Steve did. Herman couldn't.

Barry Switzer did it all the time. As did Jimmy Johnson and Dennis Erickson before him. Running up the score isn't a new concept.

I'm drawing a blank in trying to come up with a HC doing something as stupid on the field as Herman "putting on the backpack."

• Hook 'Em 1

Spurrier had an arrogant flair and won, which allowed to have the arrogant flair....Spurrier also knew to run up the score for 2 reasons: 1) give the backups games experience running the same plays the first string ran and 2) psychological advantage by affecting the other teams performance. When he beat your ass twice or three times badly, you always worried about it happening again and played not to get blown out instead of winning.

At least thats how i see it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Earl of Texas said:

I’m sorry but that’s extremely short sighted. It’s rare for an interim coach to do better than the person he replaced, history is firmly behind that. You’re already paying the guy, and whoever you hire to replace him is extremely unlikely (read, absolutely not going to) come in to coach for the Baylor game, so just get as much out of him as you can knowing it’s not going to be great, prepare your pitch and initiate conversations where possible with the replacement, and bite the bullet for the remainder of the year.

YOU REMOVE A CANCER TUMOR ASAP.... 😠 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I don't want to bring you boys or anyone else down off of your highs, but I think you've got to look at Urban Meyer as a long shot right now. I have zero doubt there's potential for mutual interest. I just expect Texas to fuck it all up and have him throw his hands up and walk away, waiting for the shitshow to unfold at USC. 

As things sit now, Texas is already fucking everything up. They're letting Herman maintain "control" of the program when they know with certainty that he's not the guy going forward. "Don't lose another game" is an arbitrary edict when you fully expect him to do so and know that you'll have to then do something anyway. This guy is a cancer and he should have already been shitcanned. Every day that goes by with him at the helm digs the hole deeper for the next guy. 

Unlike many, I guess, here, I'd take Matt Campbell as a consolation prize. I love the recruiting board and I've religiously followed college recruiting since childhood, but Herman and Strong have fully disavowed me of the belief that acquiring enough talent can overcome significant coaching deficiencies. At least with Campbell, we will see players getting developed while watching teams appearing well-coached versus their opponents. Can he win a national title? I don't know. Is he far better than most of the alternatives, I think so.

TdKN.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:
4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I don't want to bring you boys or anyone else down off of your highs, but I think you've got to look at Urban Meyer as a long shot right now. I have zero doubt there's potential for mutual interest. I just expect Texas to fuck it all up and have him throw his hands up and walk away, waiting for the shitshow to unfold at USC. 

As things sit now, Texas is already fucking everything up. They're letting Herman maintain "control" of the program when they know with certainty that he's not the guy going forward. "Don't lose another game" is an arbitrary edict when you fully expect him to do so and know that you'll have to then do something anyway. This guy is a cancer and he should have already been shitcanned. Every day that goes by with him at the helm digs the hole deeper for the next guy. 

Unlike many, I guess, here, I'd take Matt Campbell as a consolation prize. I love the recruiting board and I've religiously followed college recruiting since childhood, but Herman and Strong have fully disavowed me of the belief that acquiring enough talent can overcome significant coaching deficiencies. At least with Campbell, we will see players getting developed while watching teams appearing well-coached versus their opponents. Can he win a national title? I don't know. Is he far better than most of the alternatives, I think so.

Matt Campbell gargles balls.

Edited by Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, The Earl of Texas said:

I’m sorry but that’s extremely short sighted. It’s rare for an interim coach to do better than the person he replaced, history is firmly behind that. You’re already paying the guy, and whoever you hire to replace him is extremely unlikely (read, absolutely not going to) come in to coach for the Baylor game, so just get as much out of him as you can knowing it’s not going to be great, prepare your pitch and initiate conversations where possible with the replacement, and bite the bullet for the remainder of the year.

Unless the current coach goes Mack Brown and uses up all of your official recruiting visits so that his replacement can't do jack........

6 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I'm still baffled why Kerstetter is our center when he was a good RT

Because the guy that's been in the program a few years that's supposed to be center snaps the ball with the accuracy and consistency of someone with no thumbs. Another Tom failure. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

Barry Switzer did it all the time. As did Jimmy Johnson and Dennis Erickson before him. Running up the score isn't a new concept.

I'm drawing a blank in trying to come up with a HC doing something as stupid on the field as Herman "putting on the backpack."

I have no idea how stupid putting on the backpack was. Is it more stupid than giving the opposing coach ironic and insulting nicknames unprovoked but just to piss him off and get under his skin? I don't know. I just know if you are going to have that kind of attitude and do that kind of shit you better win.

2 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

LSU fired Miles after a 2-2 start and he had been an enormous success. We can certainly fire a failure. I would also be fine with this if CDC has made the decision.

The question is if that has happened.

Miles got fired after winning a National Championship for LSU. Herman can’t even win the Big 12 in a year where everyone else is terrible. Turns out, we are the pack leaders in that group.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

The backpack thing is silly.  I was there and didn't give a shit, and the Mizzou alum I was with didn't either.  That is fodder for internet trolls and leading up to that game they dug up some comment made by Dodds (which was funny because he was 2 ADs ago) for motivation.   The Mizzou alum agreed with the quote.  

After Brazil Horn's post about seeking a tough-guy first who relaxes as a better strategy, I think our next HC should be an Italian convict.  Maybe one of those Playing for Pizza type coaches.

10 hours ago, NoName said:

I mean, here are the DFEI ranks:

• 2017: 7
  • 2018: 44
  • 2019: 54
  • 2020: 30

plenty of reasons to shit on him but let's not use what i assume are total defense numbers when we have access to much better statistics.

there is a reason we don't use batting avg to identify how valuable a player is these days - wOBA is so much better because it gives you the complete picture. that's what things like DFEI give you vs total defense.

Stats aside, I think it’s obvious into Herman’s 4th year the defense continues to be pathetic

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas