Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

4 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Going through that guy's posting history... Ann Coulter, Clay Travis, OAN. Yikes.

Judging by the username Commander Stinger and his avatar, I'd pay close attention if he says that Herman will be flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog shit outta Hong Kong by November.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Joseph Cook: Tom Herman and the "save us, Sam Ehlinger" offense

A recurring theme is now evident in Texas’ conference games. The Longhorns sputter on offense with a big play here or there and limited production in the run game, while the defense gives up just enough to where the Longhorns need to mount a comeback in the late stages of a game. Texas’ corresponding efforts in the final stretch of conference games is based on spread passing and lucky bounces.

The offensive explosion to open the season versus UTEP now stands as an outlier. Three games against varying quality of opponents (Texas Tech, TCU, Oklahoma) have been played and each contest has followed the “save us, Sam Ehlinger” script of scoring deficit, passing-passing-passing, exciting finish.

Texas head coach Tom Herman would prefer not to have to rely on the “save us, Sam Ehlinger” script. Herman has endorsed the need for “complementary football” and repeated “we’re going to win with great defense” throughout his tenure at Texas. But Texas gets into “save us, Sam Ehlinger” because of struggles with complementary football and playing defense. It has been the most successful offensive approach for the 2020 Longhorns during conference play.

image.png

The passing offense in Big 12 games before Ehlinger and the rest of the Longhorns must kick it into overdrive averages a paltry 5.47 yards per attempt. Were that mark his regular season YPA, Ehlinger would rank No. 67 out of 71 eligible quarterbacks per official NCAA statistics. Ehlinger’s last five minutes/overtime YPA would rank No. 23. His current overall mark of 7.48 places him at No. 40, but his 6.09 conference YPA would put him at No. 65, one spot ahead of Baylor’s Charlie Brewer. Ignoring YPA, his passing touchdown numbers in one quarter of game time and five overtime periods rival his passing touchdown production in 165 minutes outside of crunch time.

Ehlinger is not perfect by any stretch and he would be the first to say it. He has on multiple occasions including after his standout season opening game. His late interception against the Sooners ended the comeback attempt he manufactured. He is not perfect, but he definitely can lead a capable spread passing offense that can diminish the role of the current lackluster offensive line. The question is, will Herman adopt that approach?

Herman said following the Oklahoma game his team needs to figure out a way to sustain normal tempo drives. In his first press conference after UT’s most recent open week, Herman specifically identified rushing offense as something that improved the most with the extra practice time. Running the football is an important feature of any offense, but running the football as the feature of an offense (a.k.a. establishing the run) is more in line with a Big 10 way of thinking as opposed to one from the Big 12.

Darrell K Royal’s quote about how two of the three results from passing the football hurt a team’s chances of winning may stand out in the mind of Longhorn fans, but the days of the wishbone are no more. Plus, the potential positive outweighs the potential negative, especially when a quality quarterback is at the helm of the offense. Even Oklahoma, who won three national championships with Royal’s trademark offense, figured out passing was the pathway toward success for their most recent national championship and College Football Playoff appearances.

Texas’ best offense this year is its passing offense. The risks Herman often cites about “airing it out” have validity. Three straight incompletions would put a defense still attempting to find its footing back on the field quickly, but there are high-percentage routes and throws, such as in the screen game, that can act as extensions of the run game.

Texas is not going to shift from Herman pro-spread to Mike Leach 200-proof air raid. That offense is as unique as the option run by service academies. Even Dana Holgorsen and Lincoln Riley, two of Leach’s most prominent pupils, value rushing offense. However, they understand the best way to score as many points as possible as fast as possible is through a passing offense with the potential for explosive plays. Herman has a quarterback who can capably lead that offense, even if he isn’t an expert pro-level passer right now.

Whether Herman does so or not could determine whether his offense will begin to pull away from opponents or will continue to have to come back in the last five minutes just to have a chance.

Just now, victory88 said:

This program is such a joke.  We're basically out of the big 12 race 3 games into conference play with a senior QB that was on many Heisman lists.  We have a top 5 OL at LT and a veteran roster at almost every position.  Yet we look barely competent against some of the worst big 12 teams this year  I'm not going to bother watching us play against a Baylor team that hasn't practiced and barely has enough eligible players to field a team.  This game may be easier than fucking Kansas and I fully expect us struggle and barely pull out a win.  I'm done wasting my time on Saturdays watching this pile of shit.  I haven't missed a single Texas game since 2004 but I have no desire to turn on the tv this Saturday.  Fuck this program and this administration.  We were at the top of the mountain and within 10 years we are a gawd damn joke in college football.  I met a lifelong Nebraska fan yesterday and he was laughing about Texas football and what it has turned into.  A decade of failure and embarrassment will do that to you.

I’ll watch the Baylor game with interest. I’ll be happy win or lose.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Regarding Urban Meyers possible assistants - here is a rundown of some guys that worked under him previously (not including current Texas staff Ash/Drayton/Herman or, formerly, Beck/Strong.  Also not including any assistants currently HC - Adazzio/Holliday/Mullen/Day/Schiano)

Kevin Wilson - former Indiana HC was hired as OC/TE coach by Urban at Ohio St.  Still OC at OSU but Ryan Day calls the plays.

Billy Gonzales - was the WR coach for Urban during the Florida years.  Currently the WR/Co-OC for Florida 

Tony Alford - Hired to Urban's Ohio St staff in 2015.  Has coached RB and WR - is currently the AHC/RB for the Buckeyes under Day.

John Hevesy - longtime OL coach who was with Urban at Florida.  Has been with Dan Mullen since 2001, seems unlikely that he'd leave to come to Texas

Ed Warriner - won a national title with Urban at Ohio ST as the OL coach - serves in same role for Harbaugh and the Wolverines.  Warriner's son plays for the Wolverines.

Greg Studrawa - was Meyer's OL coach at Bowling Green and was hired on Meyers staff at Ohio St.  Still the Ohio ST OL coach under Day.

Corey Dennis - Urban's son in law is the current QB coach at Ohio St.  I'd expect him to be offered a job at Texas.

Randall Joyner - was a grad assistant at Ohio St under Meyer.  Learned under longtime great DL coach Larry Johnson Sr.  Currently DL coach at SMU

Larry Johnson - arguably the best DL coach in college football.  Longtime Penn ST. coach left that university to be on Meyer's staff at Ohio St.

Billy Davis - longtime NFL LB coach left the Arizona Cardinals to join Meyer's staff at Ohio St.  Left after two years to return to the NFL.

Chuck Heater - DB coach and then Co-DC under Urban at Florida.  Currently the DC at Colorado St.

Mickey Marotti - Urban Meyers strength coach

18 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Would love to steal away Brian Hartline for WR coach  although probably doubtful with his ties to OSU. Joyner would be a beast and help lock down DFW. Dennis is a given, best guess

HC- Meyer

QB/OC- Dennis (Obvious hire but might get a bump up to OC as well)

RB- Drayton, sorry @golfclap

WR- Zach Smith available? kidding, maybe Gonzales can be swayed

TE- Whats ol Brewster up to nowadays?

OL- Studrawa, really id take anyone over Hand

DE-Joyner (seems like a lock)

DT- Not sure but I dont think OSU would let Johnson leave

LB- Davis (might need a CO-DC title or something, not sure how hes viewed in the nfl)

CB/Bagman- Valai

DC/S- Ash

In all seriousness, would Urban consider bringing back Charlie Strong as a position coach or analyst? 

3 hours ago, Mikey4 said:
3 hours ago, immamac said:
I do think there's an outside chance that a Texas win out including conference championship gets him absolved from any wrongdoing. That's still statistically possible, but highly unlikely. Once that is no longer possible he gone. 

If he wins out and wins the conference, then he should stay. But we all know that won't happen.

No, if that happens he WILL stay.

At this point it is proven that Herman is in over his head and he SHOULD NOT be the coach at Texas.

1 hour ago, Fud said:

He wanted to come in 2013-2014, but wanted to bring his entire coaching staff with him. He wasn't taken seriously. Of course, he blew up soon after. 

I don't think even Bama, his alma mater, could get him at this point. 

Bama has to be the ONLY place I think he really considers. I mean, he can't keep Tony Elliott + Venables forever...

23 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

if we're going to wait til the end of the season let's moneywhip dabo.  i mean crush him with a mountain of cash.  gold.  rhodium.  whatever he wants.  you won't find character issues there.

19 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

It's only 4 (not saying that increases our chances any)

His buyout is 4 million? 

2 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

No, if that happens he WILL stay.

At this point it is proven that Herman is in over his head and he SHOULD NOT be the coach at Texas.

I think we're waiting for the mathematical elimination from the championship game.  Can't fire a guy if he wins conference.  Remember Mack's last year?

2 hours ago, Fud said:

Are you sure you didn't look at the "if he's fired, what does he get?" buyout rather than "if he leaves for another job" buyout?

Here's some buyout numbers I could find (maybe some are off, others can feel free to fact check)

PJ Fleck- $10mm
Mario Cristobal- $8mm
James Franklin- $5mm
Matt Campbell- $5mm
Chris Klieman- $5mm
Luke Fickell- $4mm
Bronco Mendenhall- $2.4mm that changes to $1.8mm on December 4th
Justin Wilcox- $2mm
Mark Stoops- $1.65mm
Billy Napier- $1.25mm
Herm Edwards- $1mm
Justin Fuente- $1mm
Bryan Harsin- $0.25mm
Sonny Dykes- unknown
Urban Meyer- $0mm

A lot of these drop after a certain date, but the only one that's earlier than December 31st is Mendenhall's, and I'd assume that we'd make the change before the early signing week

Good point. It’s before he had UK righted but received an extension. It was probably the firing buyout.  

2 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Venables doesn't want to be a HC..  He just wants to concentrate on defense like that long time DC Bud Foster at VT

Correct.  Drawing $2MM to do what he wants to do: be a (very, very good) mad scientist on the defensive end and not have deal with anything other than defense. 

Foster is a good comparison. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Fud said:

Are you sure you didn't look at the "if he's fired, what does he get?" buyout rather than "if he leaves for another job" buyout?

Here's some buyout numbers I could find (maybe some are off, others can feel free to fact check)

PJ Fleck- $10mm
Mario Cristobal- $8mm
James Franklin- $5mm
Matt Campbell- $5mm
Chris Klieman- $5mm
Luke Fickell- $4mm
Bronco Mendenhall- $2.4mm that changes to $1.8mm on December 4th
Justin Wilcox- $2mm
Mark Stoops- $1.65mm
Billy Napier- $1.25mm
Herm Edwards- $1mm
Justin Fuente- $1mm
Bryan Harsin- $0.25mm
Sonny Dykes- unknown
Urban Meyer- $0mm

A lot of these drop after a certain date, but the only one that's earlier than December 31st is Mendenhall's, and I'd assume that we'd make the change before the early signing week

If we want cheap and likely good, Harsin?

14 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Venables doesn't want to be a HC..  He just wants to concentrate on defense like that long time DC Bud Foster at VT

I don't know that it was as much that Bud didn't want to be a head coach as much as it was Bud is/was known to be a functioning alcoholic.  And not just in the normal 'afternoon drinking' kind of way. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I don't know that it was as much that Bud didn't want to be a head coach as much as it was Bud is/was known to be a functioning alcoholic.  And not just in the normal 'afternoon drinking' kind of way. 

Interesting. 

Now that I think of it, guessing you could fit a couple pints inside that lunch pail.  

This Dabo stuff is pathetic. Whoever is putting this out there needs to be banished from sports media. Dabo is going to leave the program that gave him a shot, and that he has built into a juggernaut, to come rescue us from our dumpster fire?

We are Tennessee at this point. We should be good, but the football gods have cursed us to wonder the plains of mediocrity for an unknown number of years as payment for the 1999-2009 run.
I thought Sam had eliminated the curse when he beat UGA, but Bevo failed to kill Uga and thus the SEC mythical god of jinx was only injured but came back even stronger.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I gotta wonder what both the offense running the ball well and the defense stopping the run well looks like in a practice.  I know both are really, really improved since we did all of this "good on good".  But how exactly does that work, that both improved?  Seems like an impossibility to my non-mensa brain.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, jinx said:

I gotta wonder what both the offense running the ball well and the defense stopping the run well looks like in a practice.  I know both are really, really improved since we did all of this "good on good".  But how exactly does that work, that both improved?  Seems like an impossibility to my non-mensa brain.

it just means we are still on square 1

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas