Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

59 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

You’re right tho we should fire him. You win. Let’s fire every coach that doesn’t win 10 games yearly. Herman’s literally done everything in the offseason Texas fans were bitching about and were still bitching.

No, he hasn't done everything we were concerned about.

One of the biggest concerns we had was that, despite having virtually unlimited resources to perform a nationwide search for the most competent coordinators in the country, he would hire his current cronies and strip club buddies vs. the most qualified person he can get. That he would go get yes men instead of people with new ideas to improve a seven win team.

And the one major hire (DC) he's made has been exactly what everyone was concerned about. Exactly what a narcissistic man-child who is entirely in over his head would do. And exactly what most of us who see him for what he is were expecting.

He's a fraud and a fake tough guy chump, and the sooner we're rid of him the sooner we can make our way back to national prominence.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 2

The only thing I needed to see today happened in the video of him being a fifth grader flipping the double bird.

1. Don’t take the head of the table. I hate rectangular tables for this reason but the douches that grab the head of the table seats are ego driven. He was obviously seated right there.

2. No one. No one was sitting in a seat next to him. Actually seemed closest person was @ five feet away.

He is lucky to be at Texas where the recruiting class, even a little bruised, still showed no one is greater than Texas. He will scrape along with some really good skill position players but will never take us to the promised land. 

Not trying to be a downer....but the attitude he had is such a joke....there’s no way every kid in that locker room doesn’t smell it. 

They luckily know...he’s not bigger than Texas and it will work out...unfortunately longer than we’d like.

Fight me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

The 5 teams we lost to plus anyone of the teams we beat by one score? Not saying it'll happen but holy fuck. You're almost as arrogant as our coach if you think our designed "win by one more point than the other team" can't possibly blow 6 games next year. It can happen

He's only that arrogant because Maryland isn't on the schedule.

• Haha 1

Just now, Michael Knight said:

Fans don't matter only the big money does. They won't be satisfied with above average

I want you to be right so bad, but I think you’re dead wrong. 10 wins for this university in its current state is considered a huge win for most of the fan base. When you’ve basically been Texas tech for a decade, you take 10 wins and you puff your chest out. I don’t agree with that, but i think big money will. 

1 minute ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I want you to be right so bad, but I think you’re dead wrong. 10 wins for this university in its current state is considered a huge win for most of the fan base. When you’ve basically been Texas tech for a decade, you take 10 wins and you puff your chest out. I don’t agree with that, but i think big money will. 

We won 10 last year and people were ready to dump him. We win 10 again in a similar fashion no one will support him.  Especially with the shit show this offseason is gonna be he needs to beat OU and win the Big12 or he's done. 

Just now, Dr. Beeper said:

But they are.  CDC craves consistency but that 10-3 / 11-3 mark ought to be the floor, and he’s the one that’d have to drive the change. If he shows leadership, big money has zero issues stroking check for buyout. But they’re not going to lead that effort. They’re too complacent and have bigger fish to fry. 

I wonder if they’re also a bit gun shy at this point re: sticking their necks out for a certain hire? If I understand correctly the Dallas group was leading the charge for chuck and then Houston was up next with Herman. Both groups ended up with puke on their shirt and shit running down their pant legs. So now what?

1 minute ago, Michael Knight said:

We won 10 last year and people were ready to dump him. We win 10 again in a similar fashion no one will support him.  Especially with the shit show this offseason is gonna be he needs to beat OU and win the Big12 or he's done. 

Who was ready to dump him after last year?! I think everyone had expectations of this team taking the next step because of how last year went. Preseason top 10. Everyone was singing his praises coming into this year.

I wonder if they’re also a bit gun shy at this point re: sticking their necks out for a certain hire? If I understand correctly the Dallas group was leading the charge for chuck and then Houston was up next with Herman. Both groups ended up with puke on their shirt and shit running down their pant legs. So now what?

West Texas oil men got this next - Jason Garrett.

2 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Yes we should fire a coach in YEAR 3 that just let Baylor pass him up. The only one that’s absurd is your dumb ass. I think we have plenty of evidence to know we will never win a title with Herman so again unless your bar is Iowa st and are fine with 7 wins then 10(4 losses) then another 7 wins then cool. 

Dabo went 6-7 his 3rd year at Clemson but you’re right. We clearly have enough evidence to fire him.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, ConferenceRoom said:

What if Tom Herman was a Mack Brown sleeper cell?

That’s an intriguing theory. And it could also explain that he totally meant to flip off the LHN camera today so that it would air. Like a nice welcome for all the fans you know tuning in. 

At least we got a good signing class. And  he apologized for the double bird claiming it was in response to a story he was telling his reception at the cotton bowl and didn’t realize the camera was on when he aggressively flipped it off. 

Total sleeper cell move.

deny and then blame the Sooners for it. Bc that typically works for a lot of shit. Well done @ConferenceRoom

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28329606/texas-tom-herman-apologizes-gesture-caught-air-signing-day

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

That’s an intriguing theory. And it could also explain that he totally meant to flip off the LHN camera today so that it would air. Like a nice welcome for all the fans you know tuning in. 

At least we got a good signing class. And  he apologized for the double bird claiming it was in response to a story he was telling his reception at the cotton bowl and didn’t realize the camera was on when he aggressively flipped it off. 

Total sleeper cell move.

deny and then blame the Sooners for it. Bc that typically works for a lot of shit. Well done @ConferenceRoom

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28329606/texas-tom-herman-apologizes-gesture-caught-air-signing-day

That is such BS.  If that was true, why did Drayton turn to the camera and do it too?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.star-telegram.com/article238498543.html

Thats a pretty scathing article on Tom. 

Maybe Herman didn’t realize the cameras were on. As a man who boasted of having majored in journalism, Herman should know to assume all cameras are on.”

And does Herman realize he’s coming off a 7-5 season where he lost to Baylor and TCU? That in three years he’s had two seven-win teams in Austin?”

I enjoyed the article obviously. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Dabo went 6-7 his 3rd year at Clemson but you’re right. We clearly have enough evidence to fire him.

Great.

Now do the list of premier-program coaches who were failing in year three and didn't turn it around.

You'll want to set aside some time for that.

• Like 1

The W/L record is the bottom line, I get that. And in a vacuum, 7-5 in Y3, in and of itself, is not evidence that a coach will never get it done. Context is obviously important. 

So here's the context with Herman: 

1) He seems to have poor coaching instincts. He passes up FGs early in games when he shouldn't and kicks when he should go for it. He gets way too conservative way too early in games. 

2) He is very slow to fix things. Look at the defense this season. Look at special teams play since he's been here. Look at the problems with that douchebag WR coach that he allowed to fester. Look at the playcalling that was so predictable the opposing defenses were calling the plays on the field. 

3) He acts like a jackass. This is fine if he's winning a lot. But the Mizzou QB mocking, the head butt, the radio call from his UH days, Casey Horny...he just seems unprofessional, thin-skinned and corny. 

2018 was a good season, but they still lost 4 games. During the entire last decade (2000-2009) we never had a single season with as many as 4 losses. So it was a pretty good year, but diminished by the Maryland fiasco, the breakdown against WVU, etc...and holding on for dear life against Baylor and Kansas and OU. 

So yeah...7-6, 10-4, 7-5 isn't grounds for firing per se...but when you add in all the other indicators, it seems extraordinarily unlikely that Tom Herman will ever win with the consistency of, say, a Mack Brown (much less Dabo). 

Look, the best-case scenario is that Herman grows the fuck up, starts running his program like an adult with a plan, and sharpens his game management and preparation with the additional experience he's accumulated. This would be great. But if I had to bet, I'd bet that it won't happen, and that his long-term success will be limited. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

The W/L record is the bottom line, I get that. And in a vacuum, 7-5 in Y3, in and of itself, is not evidence that a coach will never get it done. Context is obviously important. 

1) He seems to have poor coaching instincts. He passes up FGs early in games when he shouldn't and kicks when he should go for it. He gets way too conservative way too early in games. 

2) He is very slow to fix things. Look at the defense this season. Look at special teams play since he's been here. Look at the problems with that douchebag WR coach that he allowed to fester. Look at the playcalling that was so predictable the opposing defenses were calling the plays on the field. 

3) He acts like a jackass. This is fine if he's winning a lot. But the Mizzou QB mocking, the head butt, the radio call from his UH days, Casey Horny...he just seems unprofessional, thin-skinned and corny. 

2018 was a good season, but they still lost 4 games. During the entire last decade we never had a single season with as many as 4 losses. So it was a pretty good year, but diminished by the Maryland fiasco, the breakdown against WVU, etc...and holding on for dear life against Baylor and Kansas and OU. 

So yeah...7-6, 10-4, 7-5 isn't grounds for firing per se...but when you add in all the other indicators, it seems extraordinarily unlikely that Tom Herman will ever win with the consistency of, say, a Mack Brown (much less Dabo). 

Look, the best-case scenario is that Herman grows the fuck up, starts running his program like an adult with a plan, and sharpens his game management and preparation with the additional experience he's accumulated. This would be great. But if I had to bet, I'd bet that it won't happen, and that his long-term success will be limited. 

Not sure how we can hold hanging on for dear life vs ou against us.  They had more talent.    A holding call kept that from being a 24 point win.  And don’t hold Baylor against us.  They have Matt ruhle.   Is Tom a jackass.  Yes.  

2018 was a good season, but they still lost 4 games. During the entire last decade (2000-2009) we never had a single season with as many as 4 losses. So it was a pretty good year, but diminished by the Maryland fiasco, the breakdown against WVU, etc...and holding on for dear life against Baylor and Kansas and OU. 

Can’t argue with any of this. He might be the wrong guy. I’m hoping that the team will be materially better next year and in the future.

The collapse last year was weird. He seemed to have a decent DC and the offense was working early in the season. They did have quite a few injuries, Orlando acted like a meathead when things went wrong, and they still don’t quite have elite talent.

Looking to next year, Ash is hopefully not a meathead. They will have more talent on the roster than this year. Hopefully the new OC brings something fresh to the table. And maybe Herman dials back his navy seal runny eggs bullshit and actually acts with some authenticity. Probably not but hoping he does. If all that happens we can be very good next year.

7 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Not sure how we can hold hanging on for dear life vs ou against us.

I don't think it's "holding it against us" so much as pointing out how close we came to Herman being fired after this past season. If he hadn't beaten OU in 2018, I'm not sure we would have gone to the stupid conference championship game or the Sugar Bowl. You take the OU and Sugar Bowl wins off the table, what the fuck has he (would he have) accomplished? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.star-telegram.com/article238498543.html

Thats a pretty scathing article on Tom. 

Maybe Herman didn’t realize the cameras were on. As a man who boasted of having majored in journalism, Herman should know to assume all cameras are on.”

And does Herman realize he’s coming off a 7-5 season where he lost to Baylor and TCU? That in three years he’s had two seven-win teams in Austin?”

I enjoyed the article obviously. 

Engel's right.  He certainly has a burr under his ass and it likes to carry around sledgehammers, baseball bats, head butt his players and pull off a bunch of other sophomoric, cute stuff. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I don't think it's "holding it against us" so much as pointing out how close we came to Herman being fired after this past season. If he hadn't beaten OU in 2018, I'm not sure we would have gone to the stupid conference championship game or the Sugar Bowl. You take the OU and Sugar Bowl wins off the table, what the fuck has he (would he have) accomplished? 

Totally and likeParcells has said you are what your record is.  But The flip side would be if we could flip three plays his first year, we are likely 10-3

25 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

We had a 21-point lead in the 4th quarter. They weren't that much more talented. 

Yes and we held on.  They had an nfl offensive line, the ewok at what, lamb, Hollywood, brooks etc.  how many of our offensive guys start on that team?

now we can attribute a lot of that to Lincoln and stoops being better than our coaches and it’s toms job to get us past that level.  

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas