Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

2 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

do you have an app for that?  since royal we've done that twice with a couple of honorable mentions that were close to that.

We were on our way to doing that a few years ago but Turtle Tom showed up and we went into a shell until we were desperate for points and had to score. I don't trust Turtle Tom to beat Kansas by 3 touchdowns, much less Oklahoma. He has no idea how to put away opponents.

But you are right. When we beat OU, it seems to be a nailbiter. Even in our best years with Vince and Colt, they seemed to be hard fought games. Except for 2005 although even that was nowhere near the Black Saturday losses we have had. OU knows how to kick our ass with ease. We don't. 

6 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

We successfully pulled off lots of bad defense, poor tackling, and poor blocking

I won't lie. I turned the game off when we had a swarm of defenders around the Tech runner and he easily squirted away and ran for what should have been the nail in the coffin. I could not take it any more. Checked Shag game thread and saw a bunch of posts talking about being tied and like wtf, had to turn it back on. Saw us win in OT. Still does not change my mind about how flawed this team is. Especially on defense. And the bone headed play calling on offense.

I am not ready to fire Herman but the needle is getting closer. Because this was yet another game we had control against an inferior opponent and had a chance to take even more control and we just don't. Turtle Tom is a disease and is not going away. I almost root for us to be tied or down with him at this point. We play better and more aggressive. Leads with him are always an adventure. Reminds me of Jason Garrett where they play not to lose rather than to kick ass and win.

4 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

We were on our way to doing that a few years ago but Turtle Tom showed up and we went into a shell until we were desperate for points and had to score. I don't trust Turtle Tom to beat Kansas by 3 touchdowns, much less Oklahoma. He has no idea how to put away opponents.

But you are right. When we beat OU, it seems to be a nailbiter. Even in our best years with Vince and Colt, they seemed to be hard fought games. Except for 2005 although even that was nowhere near the Black Saturday losses we have had. OU knows how to kick our ass with ease. We don't. 

oh, i think we certainly do know how to kick our own ass with ease.  running backwards towards our own endzone 30 yards out to fair catch a punt when we're up 2 scores.  giving up sacks when the opponent is rushing 3.  etc.

what we have no idea how to do is how to kick 0u's ass with ease.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, dcar00 said:

to be honest I really don't care about conf championships other than the fact that you have to more than likely win one to be considered for the NC.

When you type this, do you consider the fact that OU has won 6 in a row without wanting to break something?  If so, I am impressed.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

But that’s the thing. We shouldn’t have pulled it off. You have to get pretty lucky to overcome a win probability of 99.7% late in the 4th quarter. The ball has to bounce your way a few times, the other team has to do a number of things to let you back in the game. I’m happy we won in terms of our season record, but when I’m grading Herman he doesn’t get “credit” for a miraculous "?" comeback. 

giphy.gif

We should have been beating them up that way all along.

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

Mr. Positivity: we came out with a W while learning a lot about our teams flaws. Our team showed resilience while overcoming adversity on the road.

Mr. Realism: there is a fuck load of said flaws. Nothing from the past three years indicates that the fixable problems will be addressed. 

Edited by USNALonghorn

2 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

Mr. Positivity: we came out with a W while learning a lot about our teams flaws. Our team showed resilience while overcoming adversity on the road.

Mr. Realism: there is a fuck load of said flaws. Nothing from the past three years indicates that the fixable problems will be addressed. 

Agree. This is where the fancy-not-my-buddies new coaching staff is supposed to come in and handle. I’m not holding my breath, but how the guys are prepared for TCU who has pretty darn good coaches should tell us what to expect this season. We’ll see.

48 minutes ago, jinx said:

When you type this, do you consider the fact that OU has won 6 in a row without wanting to break something?  If so, I am impressed.

ha. yeah it sucks because they keep making the playoff not because they are winning the conference.  we fucked up.  OU hired the better coach twice.  We let Mack hang around, we hired Charlie(talk about shooting yourself in the dick) and now Herman seems like he's average(for a Texas coach).  Its all done.  maybe we will get serious one day but I really do not care that much about conf championships as a trophy.  I know the players would so I'd like us to win some and it would help in recruiting.  As a program thing they are good.  As a fan/alumni thing, its a nice to have.

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

I won't lie. I turned the game off when we had a swarm of defenders around the Tech runner and he easily squirted away and ran for what should have been the nail in the coffin. I could not take it any more. Checked Shag game thread and saw a bunch of posts talking about being tied and like wtf, had to turn it back on. Saw us win in OT. Still does not change my mind about how flawed this team is. Especially on defense. And the bone headed play calling on offense.

I am not ready to fire Herman but the needle is getting closer. Because this was yet another game we had control against an inferior opponent and had a chance to take even more control and we just don't. Turtle Tom is a disease and is not going away. I almost root for us to be tied or down with him at this point. We play better and more aggressive. Leads with him are always an adventure. Reminds me of Jason Garrett where they play not to lose rather than to kick ass and win.

I am already there for firing him.  The entire b12 looks like shit and he is in his 4th year still looking the same.  He ain't changing.  Not a championship level coach.

This is what happens when you spend all offseason worried about woke nonsense.  BJ Foster quit in the middle of the first game and not only did they let him back on the team but he played a lot in the Tech game. It was some of the worst effort I've ever seen from a db at Texas.  Ehlinger bailed us out and he's the only reason to have hope this season.  Im on the fire tom train now.  Especially with the stupid mistakes we continue to make on special teams and just the overall attitude of the team.  We play like scared bitches.  Not championship level at all.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

That's all fine an good, but 2008 esque seasons are few and far between as well.

which is the point. we aren't serious about consistently have zero or 1 loss regular seasons.   you need 1 or zero losses in the regular season to get in the playoff regardless of the conf champ.  Del Conte wants us top 10 consistently so you can have a chance to make the playoff.  the conf champ trophy will come along with that most times.

• Like 1

which is the point. we aren't serious about consistently have zero or 1 loss regular seasons.   you need 1 or zero losses in the regular season to get in the playoff regardless of the conf champ.  Del Conte wants us top 10 consistently so you can have a chance to make the playoff.  the conf champ trophy will come along with that most times.

It’s because a large portion of our fan base still believes 10 wins is good.
  • Like 1

Is Tom still strolling into games with arrogant, “we’re just gonna run our stuff” game plans (a la OU 2019)?  Or was the game plan for Tech lacking due to seven new coaches, new systems, etc?

I hoped that after being pantsed every other week last year, Herman realized he needed assistants who actually knew how to, like, recognize and attack opponent weaknesses from week to week. Is this new crew just as clueless as the last frat pack?

2 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

Is Tom still strolling into games with arrogant, “we’re just gonna run our stuff” game plans (a la OU 2019)?  Or was the game plan for Tech lacking due to seven new coaches, new systems, etc?

I hoped that after being pantsed every other week last year, Herman realized he needed assistants who actually knew how to, like, recognize and attack opponent weaknesses from week to week. Is this new crew just as clueless as the last frat pack?

I'm not sure about the new crew, but the leader of the pack seems to still be clueless.  I'm not sure why I let myself think that a guy who had to fire 7 coaches to save his job would have his team look any better this year than the shit stain we watched last year.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I don't asvocate for any firing.

BUT, I just want Texas to look like a well coached football team, something we may have not had since Royal.

Tackling. Still an issue.

Piss poor oline. Still an issue.

Focus. Still an issue.

DBs that don't look back for the ball. Still an issue.

Special Teams. Still an issue.

Our players never seem to really have coaches. They have overpaid adults who maybe yell and mindlessly run them through drills but they don't get coached.

Edited by pacman

19 hours ago, Apex73 said:

This is what happens when you spend all offseason worried about woke nonsense.  BJ Foster quit in the middle of the first game and not only did they let him back on the team but he played a lot in the Tech game. It was some of the worst effort I've ever seen from a db at Texas.  Ehlinger bailed us out and he's the only reason to have hope this season.  Im on the fire tom train now.  Especially with the stupid mistakes we continue to make on special teams and just the overall attitude of the team.  We play like scared bitches.  Not championship level at all.

But at least we have that championship hydration level

Z4PQKlJpoAsq9UGMVd2QoyOtoNY_BkQEHAKIARwO

Besides Bama, Clemson, ou and leaches offenses, who else is well coached?

Modern college programs arent allowed near the amount of practice time they used to enjoy. Programs who can maximize the time they do have without running afoul of arbitrary NCAA rules are the ones who prosper.

I'd like for Texas to be one of those programs, but hey...we lead the way in social justice issues!

19 hours ago, Apex73 said:

Source that we did not spend the offseason doing football and just worried about woke nonsense or are you just a butthurt little bitch that Tom actually empowered his athletes to stand up for their views? 

Also, playing like scared bitches is just the team taking on the Turtle Tom mentality.  Has nothing to do with "woke nonsense" 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 4

13 hours ago, Js1 said:

Source that we did not spend the offseason doing football and just worried about woke nonsense or are you just a butthurt little bitch that Tom actually empowered his athletes to stand up for their views? 

Also, playing like scared bitches is just the team taking on the Turtle Tom mentality.  Has nothing to do with "woke nonsense" 

Did you watch the game?  That's the only source I need.  They are soft and they make the same fundamental since pee wee level mistakes.  They couldn't block, tackle, cover, and had a ton of special teams mistakes. They also had over 100 yards in penalties.  Doesn't seem like we focused too much on FOOTBALL this offseason.  

Edited by Apex73
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, ousux said:

Modern college programs arent allowed near the amount of practice time they used to enjoy. Programs who can maximize the time they do have without running afoul of arbitrary NCAA rules are the ones who prosper.

I'd like for Texas to be one of those programs, but hey...we lead the way in social justice issues!

How do you expect our players to concentrate when they were alerted by Twitter that they needed to be offended by The Eyes of Texas because well, you know, Twitter is a thing?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Really happy we left the field wide open right in the center for a running QB.  Great play call Ash. Complete overrated fraud.  We should fire every fucking coach on this staff.

Texas will never win another championship as long as the administration keeps hiring these G5 coaches .

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas