Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

2 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

It sure as fuck as. Every coach since him has had to throw true freshmen into the fire at key positions like QB, OL and DB. True blue blood programs are redshirting guys even 4- and 5-stars at those positions and we are just tossing them out there year after year. They lose confidence and desire and then we wonder why they weren't "coached up."

Georgia, Bama, Washington, and others have had success recently with true freshman QB's. 

I got negged to oblivion when someone posted "show me a loss" and I showed him several.  Fuck that tom herman ass hole piece of shit.  I never liked that prick.  We got what we ask for today.  Hired the first big name corch and paid him a ton of 💰.  Maybe next time we will actually conduct a search.  Oh fuck, who am I kidding.  Fuck TH.

• Like 6

The SMO: There are no refunds for this snake oil

Obligatory reminder: The SMO does not deal in logic or reason. It is an emotional overreaction to the game that preceded it.

I will keep this brief — as Texas football has wasted enough time in my life that I don’t feel the need to spend much more of my Labor Day weekend dwelling.

Texas football is the closest you will ever come to time travel.

There is no difference between this team now and this team one year ago, two years ago or three years ago. It’s all the same — the only tangible evidence of difference is the social media graphic designs have improved slightly.

Texas football is snake oil and Tom Herman is its top salesman. Every year you will be sold a new barrel — and like the foolish, hopeful consumer you are — you will purchase without thinking.

Kris Boyd is one of the best corners in the nation.

“Yes, I’ll have one of those.”

This offensive line is playing better than it has in years.

“I’ll take that, too.”

Sam Ehlinger has matured from his youthful mistakes of 2017.

“Do I get a discount if I buy in bulk?”

Texas might improve over the course of the year. It might beat USC and it might put up a fight against Oklahoma before falling short late — possibly on a game-ending turnover.

At the end of the day, Texas could even win eight games.

You will be told this is a success — a Liberty Bowl victory against Kentucky is the crowning achievement on a year marked with so much adversity that resulted in more wins than the previous year (8 > 7). Herman and staff will hammer this home relentlessly.

Be not a fool. Nothing has changed.

The opponents — Maryland, BYU, California — they are all different.

Texas? Texas is the exact same.

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2018/9/1/17810256/the-smo-there-are-no-refunds-for-this-snake-oil

Just now, misterloki said:

Great coaches can get away with being unlikable assholes. Herman is not a great coach. 

this is why we need to keep an eye on the locker room. they're not going to take his shit if there's no results to show for it. they almost turned on him last season, they'll do it again x10 if this shit keeps up.

• Like 1

I don't want t ruin the pity party, but I managed to stay sober and here are my thoughts on the game:

- Player for player, we're not better than Maryland. I'll let that sink in, but it should be pretty clear to everyone that watched. Recruiting ratings be damned.

- This was a pretty even game. We lost by giving up big plays in the 1st half and going down 24-7. Then Sam's final terrible interception.

- Our offense is better than last year. O line isn't elite, but it's serviceable. RBs are better. Sam's reads are better. Still pretty mediocre all around.

- Our defense is pretty light through the front 7. We're going to miss Poona this year. Need someone to step up on DL.

- ST is better, even though we can't replace a guy like Dickson.

- Our conditioning was winning the game for us again - like last year - before the 90 minute weather break allowed Maryland to come back refreshed in the 4Q.

- Coaches still making highly questionable decisions. Porter. PORTER. Going away from tempo when it worked so well. Etc.

- I still think we win most of our games this year. All-around we're a better team. It's not a night-and-day difference, just noticeable improvement.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Snacks said:
5 minutes ago, Gigglebush said:
Can we have Mack back? Strong and Herman have recruited studs but can't figure out wtf to do with them.

where? we have no OL, QB, DL, LB, OC

We got athletes, and they got guys that want to play football.  I would rather have the guys that want to go out and bust ass and play football.  Sick of watching this shitshow of an offense.  No unpredictability, imagination, or explosiveness.  Half our receivers look like mini good year blimps, and the receivers we have that could be making plays like to miss blocks or take plays off...And the QB couldnt hit the broadside of a barn or lead a receiver to save his life even when he is just dumping it off... At least the defense has some bright spots.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, tonedeaf said:

I got negged to oblivion when someone posted "show me a loss" and I showed him several.  Fuck that tom herman ass hole piece of shit.  I never liked that prick.  We got what we ask for today.  Hired the first big name corch and paid him a ton of 💰.  Maybe next time we will actually conduct a search.  Oh fuck, who am I kidding.  Fuck TH.

A search would have been nice.  But he won over a few Houston boosters and secured the job well before Charlie was fired.  Maybe took them to Treasures?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Disco Missile said:

I don't want t ruin the pity party, but I managed to stay sober and here are my thoughts on the game:

- Player for player, we're not better than Maryland. I'll let that sink in, but it should be pretty clear to everyone that watched. Recruiting ratings be damned.

- This was a pretty even game. We lost by giving up big plays in the 1st half and going down 24-7. Then Sam's final terrible interception.

- Our offense is better than last year. O line isn't elite, but it's serviceable. RBs are better. Sam's reads are better. Still pretty mediocre all around.

- Our defense is pretty light through the front 7. We're going to miss Poona this year. Need someone to step up on DL.

- Our conditioning was winning the game for us again - like last year - before the 90 minute weather break allowed Maryland to come back refreshed in the 4Q.

- Coaches still making highly questionable decisions. Porter. PORTER. Going away from tempo when it worked so well. Etc.

- I still think we win most of our games this year. All-around we're a better team. It's not a night-and-day difference, just noticeable improvement.

I actually believed you were sober until that last bullet point.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

29 minutes ago, TexasMan said:

WTF does this even mean??

Tom Herman: "We know how much better we are now than we were probably at any point last year. We didn't show it in the 1st quarter and  through the 4th quarter."

fify

Edited by 77horn
stupidity

Now that I think about it. I am very concerned about Herman and the strip club incident. Perhaps we should investigate 

Im sure Tom knows about, or was involved in, shady shit at osu. He’ll just lie about it—-will try to bend the truth. Remember this bullshit he pulled on houston radio?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/bustedcoverage.com/2016/01/06/tom-herman-spends-22-minutes-arguing-with-houston-sports-radio-hosts-over-report/amp/

“Herman was furious over a short story posted by Lopez on 610’s website that claimed Herman had met in December with Texas A&M quarterback transfer Kyle Allen to explore opportunities with the program. Herman, on Tuesday, released a statement saying that him meeting with Allen was completely inaccurate. It seems the word “met” is Herman’s sticking point since there could be NCAA heat associated with any such contact between him and a transfer.

32 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I dont understand why we didnt run a single qb draw, a single RB screen, or any type of play action on offense

On the first two, because they weren't getting much of a rush and their line wasn't charging up the field - they were dropping and waiting in coverage.  Thus, screens and draws won't do much.  Their designed to punish a defense that's aggressively rushing the QB. 

What we needed to do was pound the fucking rock.  We can't do that because our staff sucks.  On your third suggestion, that won't work because we can't run the ball.  Play action only works when LBs and safeties are worried about your run game.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Disco Missile said:

This guy... this guy gets it

21 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

LOL.  TH is getting absolutely blasted on the CBS halftime show.

It was a fucking joke of a performance.  Bellmont could channel Bill Little on this and even he would paint it as an unbridled clusterfuck.

I’m glad Herman has all the cute shit down pat.  The sledgehammers in the locker room.  Baseball bats on the bus.  Kissing and all the other nonsense.  Too bad he can’t focus on the important shit.

Hell, even Urban has reason to smile today.  Such was that nauseating performance.

• Like 1

I just wonder how well our team would have played given the circumstances the players of Maryland had to deal with coming into this game. Would the margin of victory for Maryland be wider than the scoreboard reflected? My guess is yep. So maybe Tom can pull what remains of his receding hairline out of his ass and start either doing what he said he would do or fuck the fuck off

2 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

It was a fucking joke of a performance.  Bellmont could channel Bill Little on this and even he would paint it as an unbridled clusterfuck.

Let's not get carried away.

"Sometime in the near future, when Tom Herman wins his first national championship, we will all think back to a day like this..."

23 minutes ago, Sandlot said:

Herman is supposed to be an offensive coach and the offense has continued to be garbage. Maybe CDC will build him a better lockeroom with another loss.

Just like Strong was supposed to be some defensive wizard, till he got depantsed playing against real teams.  Herman's offense was OK at rice, pretty much pure shit at Iowa State, great at tOSU (Urb may have had something to do with that), and decent at UH.  If you watched cougar high games, a ton of their success came from hero ball where Greg Ward made great plays with his feet after the play broke down (sound familiar?).  Have you seen a single play or progression of plays we've run under Herman and said to yourself "well that was a cool concept."  A ton of our "good" plays come from hero ball or jump passes with CJ - just pure athleticism.  I'm starting to think Herman's an offensive fraud.  Maybe he's a good QB coach.  He seems a lot like GDGD.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Disco Missile said:

I agree that the OL is more serviceable than last year. And we miss Poona. WRs are still a mess. Play calling is a mess. Ehlinger may be better in some respects but whoever thought he should be a pocket passer needs a brain transplant.  The OL improvement in pass pro, meager as it may be, defeats the Ehlinger proposition. 

But the preparation and other coaching today were miserable and the net effect was bad, real bad. Really fucking bad on offense except a brief spurt in the second quarter and we promptly went away from most of that the rest of the game. 

Kicking the can down the road as we have been the last few years hasn’t helped much either.

Stability is what’s needed. I don’t know if Herman is the answer or not. But changing all the time..... we’ve been there. As painful as it is, we need to press on a bit longer.

Edited by Wishbone

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas
  • immamac featured this topic
  • immamac unfeatured this topic