Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

27 minutes ago, Disco Missile said:

I don't want t ruin the pity party, but I managed to stay sober and here are my thoughts on the game:

- Player for player, we're not better than Maryland. I'll let that sink in, but it should be pretty clear to everyone that watched. Recruiting ratings be damned.

- This was a pretty even game. We lost by giving up big plays in the 1st half and going down 24-7. Then Sam's final terrible interception.

- Our offense is better than last year. O line isn't elite, but it's serviceable. RBs are better. Sam's reads are better. Still pretty mediocre all around.

- Our defense is pretty light through the front 7. We're going to miss Poona this year. Need someone to step up on DL.

- ST is better, even though we can't replace a guy like Dickson.

- Our conditioning was winning the game for us again - like last year - before the 90 minute weather break allowed Maryland to come back refreshed in the 4Q.

- Coaches still making highly questionable decisions. Porter. PORTER. Going away from tempo when it worked so well. Etc.

- I still think we win most of our games this year. All-around we're a better team. It's not a night-and-day difference, just noticeable improvement.

I'll buy it for now....the OL is definitely improved like you said. However, Ehlinger is not the answer. I think that's known by now. I know you didn't address Ehlinger. But with the improved Pass Protection I think Buechle would be better fitted for this offense he's at least a bit mobile and has a better arm than Ehlinger

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Just like Strong was supposed to be some defensive wizard, till he got depantsed playing against real teams.  Herman's offense was OK at rice, pretty much pure shit at Iowa State, great at tOSU (Urb may have had something to do with that), and decent at UH.  If you watched cougar high games, a ton of their success came from hero ball where Greg Ward made great plays with his feet after the play broke down (sound familiar?).  Have you seen a single play or progression of plays we've run under Herman and said to yourself "well that was a cool concept."  A ton of our "good" plays come from hero ball or jump passes with CJ - just pure athleticism.  I'm starting to think Herman's an offensive fraud.  Maybe he's a good QB coach.  He seems a lot like GDGD.  

Id take GDGD over the assclowns we have run out since Harsin (excepting maybe Norvell and Gilbert) two-times, two-times. 

30 minutes ago, Disco Missile said:

I don't want t ruin the pity party, but I managed to stay sober and here are my thoughts on the game:

- Player for player, we're not better than Maryland. I'll let that sink in, but it should be pretty clear to everyone that watched. Recruiting ratings be damned.

- This was a pretty even game. We lost by giving up big plays in the 1st half and going down 24-7. Then Sam's final terrible interception.

- Our offense is better than last year. O line isn't elite, but it's serviceable. RBs are better. Sam's reads are better. Still pretty mediocre all around.

- Our defense is pretty light through the front 7. We're going to miss Poona this year. Need someone to step up on DL.

- Our conditioning was winning the game for us again - like last year - before the 90 minute weather break allowed Maryland to come back refreshed in the 4Q.

- Coaches still making highly questionable decisions. Porter. PORTER. Going away from tempo when it worked so well. Etc.

- I still think we win most of our games this year. All-around we're a better team. It's not a night-and-day difference, just noticeable improvement.

I think we have our first Herman apologist.  Battle lines are being drawn.  

32 minutes ago, Disco Missile said:

You need to stop watching this shit sober. 

33 minutes ago, Disco Missile said:

This cannot be repeated too much.  If you think otherwise, you're a crackhead.  Maryland's players are extremely well coached and know their way around a football field.  It fucking took us 22 minutes to begin to get our heads on, then of course we fucked the pooch the last six.  

Athletes, whatever, fuck that.  Maryland for 2 years now, has had better football players on the field.  Amen.

It’s a cultural issue. The arrogance of the place from Belmont to the tower has doomed the football team. If only some of the older people around here could get a good look at what the average student on campus is like these days you would see that we don’t have the mindset to be what Bama is. “Better” education according to the rankings but worse college experience.

• Fuck You 2

Just now, LongestHorn said:

"Coach Herman, why did we have a delay of game penalty before we took our first snap?"

Everyone is spending all of their time "trying to be perfect." This was said many times during post-game interviews.

This raises a lot of red flags. When I hear shit like this, it reminds me of a workplace where everyone is on pins and needles when the boss is around because they are scared of making mistakes. People are just going through the motions.

No real work is being done, no progress is being made, and the only thing that matters is the boss swinging his dick around to create the perception that he is the smartest person in the room and has all of his people in line.

When it comes time to perform, everyone fails miserably.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Just like Strong was supposed to be some defensive wizard, till he got depantsed playing against real teams.  Herman's offense was OK at rice, pretty much pure shit at Iowa State, great at tOSU (Urb may have had something to do with that), and decent at UH.  If you watched cougar high games, a ton of their success came from hero ball where Greg Ward made great plays with his feet after the play broke down (sound familiar?).  Have you seen a single play or progression of plays we've run under Herman and said to yourself "well that was a cool concept."  A ton of our "good" plays come from hero ball or jump passes with CJ - just pure athleticism.  I'm starting to think Herman's an offensive fraud.  Maybe he's a good QB coach.  He seems a lot like GDGD.  

That’s absurd. GDGD is a titan of the game compared to Tom. And I’m damning GDGD with faint praise here. 

It truly amazes me that a school like The University of Texas has such a hard time hiring a good football coach.  

This is probably a good time to remind everyone that when the powers that be decided to fire Strong, they did no actual coaching search. They didn’t interview another sole. They just handed the job to the name that happened to be hot at the moment.

1 minute ago, Fire Jack Chevigny said:

This is probably a good time to remind everyone that when the powers that be decided to fire Strong, they did no actual coaching search. They didn’t interview another sole. They just handed the job to the name that happened to be hot at the moment.

True, but the time before we did a national search and engaged a consulting firm.  And we ended up hiring a moron as our coach.  So we've tried search and no search. What's next?

Maybe the problem is our athletic department sucks at hiring coaches, no matter what the process is.  

Edited by bschoolprof

2 minutes ago, Fire Jack Chevigny said:

Red approved of the hire. I remember that.

• Like 1

Playing Kyle Porter at the end is a fireable offense. We better hear that everyone else was injured or I demand a coach to be called to answer for that shit. 

At minimum, Tim Beck needs to be fired. Herman’s failure to fix his staff in the offseason willl be his undoing if he does not address it quickly. 

11 minutes ago, MrBig said:

Everyone is spending all of their time "trying to be perfect." This was said many times during post-game interviews.

This raises a lot of red flags. When I hear shit like this, it reminds me of a workplace where everyone is on pins and needles when the boss is around because they are scared of making mistakes. People are just going through the motions.

No real work is being done, no progress is being made, and the only thing that matters is the boss swinging his dick around to create the perception that he is the smartest person in the room and has all of his people in line.

When it comes time to perform, everyone fails miserably.

This is scary fuckin accurate.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Newy25 said:

Playing Kyle Porter at the end is a fireable offense. We better hear that everyone else was injured or I demand a coach to be called to answer for that shit. 

At minimum, Tim Beck needs to be fired. Herman’s failure to fix his staff in the offseason willl be his undoing if he does not address it quickly. 

Herman was doomed the minute he hired his B team offensive staff of UH lackeys and a Gene Chizik's long lost brother to be OC.  This shit is going to go down just like Charlie's tenure did. Herman might squeeze out another year by staying an eyelash above .500 for his tenure, but the first rule of being hired at a blue blood institution handing out blank checks is to surround yourself with rockstars and not yes men.  

• Like 3

Just now, Newy25 said:

Played it safe/scared with Porter who has good ball security, instead of one of the other RBs who could have gotten you more yardage on those passes..

So basically if you can cause one of our better RBs to fumbled not only do you get the ball but we will voluntarily take him off the field for the rest of the game and put in Porter to prove a point. We must not allow the chance for redemption. 

2 minutes ago, Colonel Mustard said:

Played it safe/scared with Porter who has good ball security, instead of one of the other RBs who could have gotten you more yardage on those passes..

So basically if you can cause one of our better RBs to fumbled not only do you get the ball but we will voluntarily take him off the field for the rest of the game and put in Porter to prove a point. We must not allow the chance for redemption. 

His ball security is so good, ge dropped a wide open pass before the next game-ending play.

2 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

I know I'm gonna get flamed but I bet Charlie Strong would have had his team in much better shape if he were still the coach.

not a chance but the issue is it probably wouldn't have been worse with Charlie.   different things would be wrong.

2 minutes ago, TheAuditor said:

Lighten up Francis.  who voted you class president?  

Just piss off and root for the Texans or something. You didn't graduate from Texas, so just fuck off and root for another team with a bull logo. Chicago Bulls basketball may be your thing.

• Fuck You 9

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas
  • immamac featured this topic
  • immamac unfeatured this topic