Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

4 hours ago, dcar00 said:

3(keeping Mack after 2011 might as well have been a bad hire) but I have no doubt had we kept Mack we would not have had the Strong levels of suck.  would have been the Herman levels of suck.

Mack's main problem at the end was whiffing on the QB recruiting, starting in 2007. If he had seriously recruited Luck or Griffin, he may have had another national title and 2010 wouldn't have been the clusterfuck that it was. He was still getting just about anyone he wanted back then and didn't go hard after these guys, because he was all-in on GG. 

But yeah, he was cranking out Herman-esque seasons with the likes of Case and Ash. His floor was basically Herman's ceiling (2010 being the lone exception). 

Mack's main problem at the end was whiffing on the QB recruiting, starting in 2007. If he had seriously recruited Luck or Griffin, he may have had another national title and 2010 wouldn't have been the clusterfuck that it was. He was still getting just about anyone he wanted back then and didn't go hard after these guys, because he was all-in on GG. 
But yeah, he was cranking out Herman-esque seasons with the likes of Case and Ash. His floor was basically Herman's ceiling (2010 being the lone exception). 
Not entirely QB by the time Mack left. The roster outside of a few upper class guys was not good.

2013. ISU dead ball strip and score fumble won us the game. Vs. Baylor did you know we averaged 1.6 yards. PER PASS. Baylor had more INT return yards than we had passing. Vs. Oregon we upped that to 2.4 yard per pass. Oregon also had more pickoff return yards that we had receiving. OSU routed us at home. Pretty sure OU was as poor as they've been since 1998 in that 2013/2014 time period hence hiring Lincole Riley in early 2015.

The starting oline in those last two games probably had over 100 career starts and produced 17 points. Our TD drive versus Baylor. 7 plays. 11 yards. All but Espinosa were gone the next year. By game 2 or 3 the following year Espinosas career was done and we had 5/6 career starts total in game 2 or 3. Remember we moved an undersized defensive lineman to offensive tackle and make a make shift oline. So limited experience/talent/size/cohesion linemen were responsible for protecting our small town, losing record as a high school QB and true freshman eventually converted to WR QB.

Last Olineman that was drafted. Recruiting class of 2004 in Tony Hills. Strong recruited 1 in year 1. Herman recruited one in year 1 (maybe two).

The Big 12 got better after Brown left. TCU, Tech and Ku were probably as bad as they've been in 2013. WVU had Millard at QB and took us to OT. Our talent was not good or deep. He was going to be in major trouble had he stayed.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

On 10/3/2020 at 9:05 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Texas sucks. Ou always sucks. I hope the big 12 doesn’t make the playoffs and the whole conference burns to the ground (and Herman is at the bottom of the fire).

Least excited I’ve ever been for the game.  Not even close.  Gonna go get drunk tonight and I’ll be numb by tomorrow.  OU sucks 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, JFKFC said:

You have to admit when you are wrong in life. I was wrong in wanting Mack gone. Mack had a massive amount of issues, but damn, at least the man could recruit well enough to fall ass-backwards into a title. And, at least for a while, he could get real men in the trenches. 

I wanted Mack gone too. I thought he was acting like a bitch who burned down his house for insurance money. I saw Mack as unfocused because he was too busy kissing Deloss’s ass.

I realize now that Mack was just playing the game that all bitch-titted men in power play. Mack was using his status to swing his dick around and make moves for his own benefit, even when we looked like dogshit and we were losing at the end. Mack was still giving off the arrogant “We are Texas” vibe even though we sucked.
Every time I see Herman, I think of his face during the 2pt conversion against West Virginia. We’re still Texas, but our pussy ass coach has to now tap everyone on the shoulder and make literary Mensa quotes to make us seem important. 

Looking back at it now given the mediocre state this team is STILL in, I’d give anything to have a head coach with the same level of confidence Mack had. Herman doesn’t project that same energy and we look just as stupid as he does because we keep carrying on with his lame gimmicky shit.

• Like 1

Meyer is the ADHD choice for sure.  “This I what I want today” with no thought of tomorrow.  He would win at Texas but have fun cleaning up the aftermath.  I think OSU got lucky the way he was forced out and Day was ready to step in.  More likely is he sticks around too long and the rot is full force and it takes ten years to cleanse.  Pick your poison I guess. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, stork642 said:

Meyer is the ADHD choice for sure.  “This I what I want today” with no thought of tomorrow.  He would win at Texas but have fun cleaning up the aftermath.  I think OSU got lucky the way he was forced out and Day was ready to step in.  More likely is he sticks around too long and the rot is full force and it takes ten years to cleanse.  Pick your poison I guess. 

Not sure if serious. (If not, well done)

The last decade UT has been playing checkers, not chess. We have been “rebuilding” since 2010.  And this is what we have to show for it: courtesy of @Lobo

Texas is 5-5 against Baylor in the last ten seasons. 

Texas is 3-7 against Oklahoma State in the last ten seasons. 

Texas is 3-8 against Oklahoma in the last ten seasons.  

Texas is 2-7 against TCU in the last ten seasons. 

Texas is 4-4 against WVU in the last ten seasons. 

Texas is 4-6 against K-State in the last ten seasons.  

pick your poison indeed. Or swallow the blue pill or is it the red one? (The Matrix) Or cut the red wire and not the blue one? (Lethal Wrapon 3). The truth is our BMDs aren’t that serious about winning. Or some of our fans aren’t. Which is cool. Fly your freak flag! 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 4

21 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

The last decade UT has been playing checkers, not chess. We have been “rebuilding” since 2010.  And this is what we have to show for it: courtesy of @Lobo

pick your poison indeed. Or swallow the blue pill or is it the red one? (The Matrix) Or cut the red wire and not the blue one? (Lethal Wrapon 3). The truth is our BMDs aren’t that serious about winning. Or some of our fans aren’t. Which is cool. Fly your freak flag! 

I guess what I’m saying is if we are going after him do it nowww.  Don’t wait!!!   But also if he comes here be ready to cut ties with him quick once it’s clear his system has taken the Aaron Hernandez turn. 

Edited by stork642
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, stork642 said:

I guess what I’m saying is if we are going after him do it nowww.  Don’t wait!!!   But also if he comes here be ready to cut ties with him quick once it’s clear his system has taken the Aaron Hernandez turn. 

Hire slowly (unless you have a proven winner) fire quickly. Jmo. Aaron Hernandez happened to be a serial killer that was good at football. He’s an outlier. We won’t hire Urban (assuming he even is interested). I do follow Urbana’s tweets. Raised (With Tebow, Lee Corso’s son and a bunch of others) $600 plus million to fight sex trafficking. So Urban is pretty much a shitty guy. 

Well done @stork642 

49 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

At least we have swimming

• Hook 'Em 2

51 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

kill me now barney stinson GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

tenor.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

his main issue was his OL recruiting and OL coaching.  complete clusterfuck starting in 07 and manifested itself in 10 along with the stupidity of changing the offense.

he did recruit Luck but Luck was Stanford all the way.

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

Hire slowly (unless you have a proven winner) fire quickly. Jmo. Aaron Hernandez happened to be a serial killer that was good at football. He’s an outlier. We won’t hire Urban (assuming he even is interested). I do follow Urbana’s tweets. Raised (With Tebow, Lee Corso’s son and a bunch of others) $600 plus million to fight sex trafficking. So Urban is pretty much a shitty guy. 

Well done @stork642 

You raise some good points but then there’s always Zach Smith and Urban protected that POS.  

On 10/8/2020 at 6:50 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

McKinsey consultants always have amazing  names like Niles Jeong-Svöörde and Carlos Centurion.

I posted the scorecard upthread.  BAH, Boston & McKinsey will all deliver the same result for their $250k fee:

The 2 finalists will be Kirby Smart (95%) and Tony Elliott (Clemson OC) (75%).

CDC owes me $750k.

cazart.

On 10/8/2020 at 6:50 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

McKinsey consultants always have amazing  names like Niles Jeong-Svöörde and Carlos Centurion.

holy crap... there are actually 2 carlos centurions....

the first one is lizard pedigree:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/carlos-centurion-3961a56/

https://www.bloomberg.com/profile/person/19195550

the 2nd one is not mckinsey alumna...

https://www.linkedin.com/in/carlos-centurion-76b57588/

no nileses.

15 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

The health thing is what makes me think no.  Apparently the flareups and headaches are much worse under stress and when Urban Meyer coaches it creates a ton of stress.  The man demands excellence from everyone around him.

The only thing about his time at Ohio State I would criticize is some of his assistant coaching hires.  He's loyal to a fault.  Example.  Zach Smith.  Also Alex Grinch who has proven to be a DC of dubious abilities.  Tim Beck as well and a couple others.

Meyer would take recruiting to a level never seen before at Texas.  He really knows how to sell a national brand.  He'd also be likely to dominate the series with your biggest rival.

biggest impact: every single player already here instantly fears for their lives before urbs even sets foot on campus.

2nd biggest impact: every national top 50 guy in the state is on the board.

3rd biggest impact: every seat and suite in the SEZ sells instantly, with down payments putting $100m in the depleted coffers, obliterating the $50m price (buyouts + new staff).

4th biggest impact: aggy loses their fucking minds.

• Hook 'Em 4

After Mack left there were several articles that came out talking about how the coaches rarely interacted with the players, players were skipping meetings and many had stopped working out. It wasn't just a dumpster fire, it was a total collapse. If Mack had stayed the team would have dropped to four or five wins.

6 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

holy crap... there are actually 2 carlos centurions....

the first one is lizard pedigree:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/carlos-centurion-3961a56/

https://www.bloomberg.com/profile/person/19195550

the 2nd one is not mckinsey alumna...

https://www.linkedin.com/in/carlos-centurion-76b57588/

no nileses.

Eventually they will have to fight to the death. There can be only one. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, tjhooker said:

Mack was a passive aggressive piece of shit that had driven the program into the ground. I think you forget how bad those last few yrs were. We just made bad hires after canning his ass. It was absolutely the right move. 

FIFY

3 hours ago, tjhooker said:

Mack was a passive aggressive piece of shit that had driven the program into the ground. I think you forget how bad those last few yrs were. We just made bad hires after canning his ass. It was absolutely the right move. 

This right here.  And the original response is exactly why Mack shit all over any saban hiring.  Rather than doing what was best for the program or the kids, all he cared about was protecting his legacy.  And you better believe that having saban come in and start winning immediately would not have made Mack look good after that 2010-2013 stretch.  I'd say the last 7 seasons have gone about exactly as Mack hoped.

TLDR- fuck Mack and his thin skinned ass.  

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, Blotto said:

its OU week. I haven't thought much about the game....at all. Partly due to an exceptionally hectic work week, but mostly because I'm mentally checked out on Herman and his inability to turn shit around. Watching Texas football is not a particularly pleasant experience. We're on an 8 year roll of ill-prepared teams with no killer instinct, and the only consistent talent appears to be kicking ourselves in the nuts whenever possible. It just isn't fun watching this shit. I do it...every week, I just don't enjoy it. So yeah I'll watch on Saturday, and I expect us to lose in some fucktarded fashion like multiple 4th qtr roughing the kicker calls after miraculously forcing a 4th down. I'm dead inside. Hold me. 

Year 4, same shit, aggy results, clemson prices, and the best we have to look forward to is not being miserable in the event we win.

I just turned off Game Day because I couldn't stand to look at Herman.

Today is the day Herman squeaks out a 45-42 win and is all smiles with cdc(maybe cdc will hug him like deloss and Mack) and declares all is well on the 40!!!!

Two weeks from today after we lose to Baylor and miss 50 tackles and have to watch another WTF mind blowing play like a fumble at 1 we will get “we know the how we just got to find out the why and I’m confident we can”.. 

So tired of his bullshit press conferences.

11 hours ago, dcar00 said:

his main issue was his OL recruiting and OL coaching.  complete clusterfuck starting in 07 and manifested itself in 10 along with the stupidity of changing the offense.

he did recruit Luck but Luck was Stanford all the way.

Ah. It's been a long time but seems like I recall reading that he didn't go all-in on Luck because GG was in the following class or something like that - but yeah, very likely that was just some bullshit narrative that Ketch made up or something. 

Anyway, point is that you'd hope that Herman, by year 4, could have better teams than late-stage Mack...but they seem to be exactly like those 2011-2013 teams, even with a good, experienced QB. 

22 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

10 years ago, I expected to win every single game

I still do and as has been posted upthread in year 4 after a full reset on coordinators at this institution anything less than a beastmode machine that steamrolls the conference is unacceptable.  We were duped by a grifting conman.

well I think today provides a definitive NO or a Maybe to the question of "can Tom turn this around and eventually win it all"

a loss today and I think the answer is no because this OU team is probably one of the worst Texas has faced in over a decade even if they are pissed off and hungry

a win today of course requires a hell of a lot of wins the rest of the season to even think "yes", but it will be better than a loss for sure

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas