Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

Texas football fans and Texas employees expect Herman to get fired. So, to whom is it sending a horrible message? Politicians and non-UT football fans? IDGAF

Some people think UT's overall brand and status as an institution of higher learning are completely independent of the football program. Bless their heart.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

LOL. You'd pay him $15m/yr if he demanded it. 

no we wouldn't...we aren't going to triple the going rate.  we don't care that much any more.  we're Cal.  we would ride with someone who will accept 6M with increases.

I believe we would pay him 8M increasing to 10M over 5 years though but he might not take it.

to be clear, I'm not saying he's not worth 10-15M/yr.  he is.

2 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

The furlough and layoff angle will be a thing for like 0.5 seconds before people forget about it and shouldn't affect anything. 

+1

If anything, an argument could be made that not making a move is going to hurt revenue even more, resulting in more furloughs/layoffs.  Is trotting out the same garbage product going to produce the necessary income to fund the athletic department budget?

• Hook 'Em 1

https://theathletic.com/2136497/2020/10/14/unc-football-coach-mack-brown-recruiting-texas-tom-herman/?source=dailyemail

Q:  I’m no great fan of the performances of Tom Herman’s Texas teams so far, but I’m also less than enthusiastic about the Longhorns starting over with a new coach next year. If Texas would give a different coach three years after 2020 to build a national championship contender, wouldn’t it make more sense to give Herman those three years? (If three years is the new standard for taking a team from second tier W-L records to a national championship, which it seems to be.) — Brian D., Arlington, Va.

I’ve been wrong before on these things, because you should never underestimate the extent to which emotion and irrationality dictates coaching decisions, but I believe Texas would have to bottom out pretty badly over the next two months for AD Chris Del Conte to pull the plug on Herman. Just last month, his department instituted $13.1 million in layoffs, furloughs and pay cuts. It would have to turn around and spend roughly $25 million to buy out not only Herman but all the new new assistants he hired last offseason. Offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich, for one, got a three-year, $5.1 million guaranteed contract.

Never say never, but that would be an insane amount to spend amidst a revenue-crushing pandemic.

But nor would I count on Herman getting another three years on top of the four he’s already had. Herman did not take on a Kansas or Rutgers-level rebuilding job. He took over a proud program with the resources and recruiting footprint to immediately attract talent and win big fairly quickly. Four games into his fourth season, the ’Horns instead look like a team that has regressed, not progressed, the more time he’s had to build his own roster. I shudder to think where they’d be without Sam Ehlinger, who remains essentially their entire offense, good or bad. Their defense has quietly gotten better, improving from 6.25 to 5.4 YPP allowed in conference games, but it’s still far from elite territory.

Let’s say Texas, currently 2-2, goes on to finish 5-5. I have no doubt many fans will be screaming for his head. But it would be perfectly reasonable to say, let’s give him another year, with the players getting a second season in new systems. Yurcich gets to craft his own post-Ehlinger offense. If Herman’s team finally breaks through, great. If it’s no better, you pull the plug then, which, though still costly, will be about $7-$10 million less, and will take place (we hope) under more favorable economic circumstances.

3 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

I always thought Mandel wasn't an out-of-touch moron but some of those lines have me questioning that. Also, why is he answering from the mailbag regarding Texas from someone in Arlington, Virginia? 

The dollar figure and furlough and corona argument kind of makes sense on paper, until you realize that there are BMDs at Texas that would collectively be happy to eat $10MM to get rid of him. Couple that with the fact that we will easily lose $10MM if not more in ticketing and merch sales and it's almost a no brainer to get rid of him at the end of the season at the latest. 

Unless he pulls some 8-2 B12 champ season out of his ass, which none of us that actually watch Texas (so not you, Brian, sit your ass down) see happening. 

• Hook 'Em 1

"What must be done eventually, must be done immediately"

Recruiting has already cratered for 2021. We are most likely signing the worst nontransition class ever.

There is nothing to indicate that Herman can turn this thing around. If we end up 5-5 or 6-4 and give him another year, 2022 class will crater as well.

Then we are in at least 5 year rebuild.

The other alternative is we let him go now, salvage the 2021 class, stop the transfer bleed. Sign a kickass 2022 class. Then we are looking at a 1-3 year rebuild.

The obviousness of the situation is stark. It was a bad investment. Time to cut our losses.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I always thought Mandel wasn't an out-of-touch moron but some of those lines have me questioning that. Also, why is he answering from the mailbag regarding Texas from someone in Arlington, Virginia? 

The dollar figure and furlough and corona argument kind of makes sense on paper, until you realize that there are BMDs at Texas that would collectively be happy to eat $10MM to get rid of him. Couple that with the fact that we will easily lose $10MM if not more in ticketing and merch sales and it's almost a no brainer to get rid of him at the end of the season at the latest. 

Unless he pulls some 8-2 B12 champ season out of his ass, which none of us that actually watch Texas (so not you, Brian, sit your ass down) see happening. 

Maybe it's @VirginiaLonghorn   😂😂😂

12 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Fuck That Guy GIF - FuckThatGuy FuckThat WhoTheFookIsThat GIFs

Now that that has been appropriately responded to.....

The Texas can't do it because the financials look bad and it would be a really bad look.  Look the AD is separate from the university for a reason. This is that reason.  Financially we are completely separate from the University so any struggles they are having are a different matter.  

As for the AD itself.  If TH didn't have the program in such a horrible state, the financial situation would probably be better anyway. So at least a portion of it is his fault...he is the problem.  Secondly, I feel terrible for all the staffers in our bloated AD that have been furloughed and laid off.....but if any of them have the potential of generating $150,000,000.00 in revenue every fall....they wouldn't be currently furloughed would they......This is like asking if the Houston Astros should resign George Springer after they had to furlough some staff during the season......

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

no we wouldn't...we aren't going to triple the going rate.  we don't care that much any more.  we're Cal.  we would ride with someone who will accept 6M with increases.

I believe we would pay him 8M increasing to 10M over 5 years though but he might not take it.

to be clear, I'm not saying he's not worth 10-15M/yr.  he is.

Triple the going rate? Hell, that's like twice what Harbaugh makes. 

I don't think it's likely that Urban winds up at Texas. But he has all the leverage. If he says $15m/yr, take it or leave it, you'll take it. You just admitted he's worth it. And, from my observation, Texas fans think they can money-whip any problem. They'd support it. 

Hell, if I was Urban's agent I might tell him to hold out for $20m. 

22 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Q:  I’m no great fan of the performances of Tom Herman’s Texas teams so far, but I’m also less than enthusiastic about the Longhorns starting over with a new coach next year.

Brian D in Arlington thinks if he tries to sound erudite and clinical, Stewart Mandel will take him seriously and respond to his question. 

Brian might be a fucking dumbass when it comes to hiring and firing football coaches, but he knows himself some Stewart Mandel

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Triple the going rate? Hell, that's like twice what Harbaugh makes. 

I don't think it's likely that Urban winds up at Texas. But he has all the leverage. If he says $15m/yr, take it or leave it, you'll take it. You just admitted he's worth it. And, from my observation, Texas fans think they can money-whip any problem. They'd support it. 

Hell, if I was Urban's agent I might tell him to hold out for $20m. 

yes "fans"think we can money whip anything.  Sure we would support it.  not our money.   Texas isn't going to pay Urban Meyer 15M a year and if that is what he wants we will move on.

yes he has all the leverage.  it doesn't mean we will acquiesce to the leverage.

Edited by dcar00

Just now, dcar00 said:

yes "fans"think we can money whip anything.  Sure we would support it.  not our money.   Texas isn't going to pay Urban Meyer 15M a year and if that is what he wants we will move on.

We can stop talking about 15 mil a year, because it's not going to a number that's even discussed. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Re: Shanahan

Seems like most have said that they don't think he is interested in going to college - he spent one year as a grad asst at UCLA and then the last 16 years in the NFL including the last 4 as the 49ers head coach.

That said - this year isn't going so smoothly for the 49ers - and if you look as his record there in total he is 3 games under .500 - I wonder if a 5-11 or 6-10 type season would put him on shaky ground or cause just enough uncertainty that he might jump at a chance for big money with Texas.

Shanahan has zero interest in coaching in CFB. Thats coming from someone that knows Kyle.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

What motivates Urban Meyer is an interesting topic. Money always matters, but that's allegedly not his primary driver. Achievement and prestige play roles. The ability to redeem his status as on par with Saban and one of the greatest coaches of all-time is apparently important and there is one clear, inarguable way to create that outcome - win a national title at a 3rd school, which is a feat never before accomplished. If he can do so scandal-free and without having to constantly cheat, even better.

Those are the things more than money that have him interested in both Texas and USC, which are the only legitimate blue bloods expected to be in play any time soon. Getting to also troll Herman as a cherry on top is not something anyone has mentioned as being relevant, but I like to think that if he took the UT job, he'd be doing that regularly. 

Texas offers a (still) cleaner recruiting landscape, all of the resources and coverage, and the easiest path of any school to the CFP. This is what's being sold and valued. The guy supposedly got burnt out on all of the cheating, on top of everything else, he was having to deal with at OSU. 

And according to Vegas, the path may be getting much easier with them having Lincoln Riley as a favorite to be the next Atlanta Falcon HC.

Edited by Thiefery
tweet

What motivates Urban Meyer is an interesting topic. Money always matters, but that's allegedly not his primary driver. Achievement and prestige play roles. The ability to redeem his status as on par with Saban and one of the greatest coaches of all-time is apparently important and there is one clear, inarguable way to create that outcome - win a national title at a 3rd school, which is a feat never before accomplished. If he can do so scandal-free and without having to constantly cheat, even better.
Those are the things more than money that have him interested in both Texas and USC, which are the only legitimate blue bloods expected to be in play any time soon. Getting to also troll Herman as a cherry on top is not something anyone has mentioned as being relevant, but I like to think that if he took the UT job, he'd be doing that regularly. 
Texas offers a (still) cleaner recruiting landscape, all of the resources and coverage, and the easiest path of any school to the CFP. This is what's being sold and valued. The guy supposedly got burnt out on all of the cheating, on top of everything else, he was having to deal with at OSU. 

So you don’t think he’d want the OU job?

I know Austin, LA> Norman but I trust UT gulp more than USC to get it done. Idk with OU in the mix, if he would be interested in them.

4 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Listened to Scipio's podcast and he seems to think, barring a 6-0 run, Herman is done.  

That's great and I love Scipio, but, guys, we are not talking about whether he's "done" or not. The question is who is next and when does he get fired.

If Herman coaches a game in 2021 that isn't a NY6 bowl (which, I mean, lol) then I'm the one that will be "done" because it will prove to me that nothing I still hold dear about Texas football matters anymore to anyone calling the shots.

1 minute ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Shanahan has zero interest in coaching in CFB. Thats coming from someone that knows Kyle.

Kyle doesn't strike me as a guy who'd go CFB over NFL. Dude's been around the league his whole life. 

But am curious if any of the BMDs would push hard for it, and if he'd at least listen for two seconds. That's my main interest, because I seriously doubt he'd jump, and honestly not sure how well he'd do. 

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

NM

Edited by Sir Ulrich

1 minute ago, UncleBuck said:

Kyle doesn't strike me as a guy who'd go CFB over NFL. Dude's been around the league his whole life. 

But am curious if any of the BMDs would push hard for it, and if he'd at least listen for two seconds. That's my main interest, because I seriously doubt he'd jump, and honestly not sure how well he'd do. 

this.  He is in the "club" for life now.  he ain't coming to Texas.

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

DP

Edited by Sir Ulrich

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Making a dominant 5+ year run with no scandals would also do wonders for his legacy. Would be easy to accomplish at a school like Texas where those have been scarce. 

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas