Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

Eh, a bye against Baylor and Herman is done for sure.

I do think there's an outside chance that a Texas win out including conference championship gets him absolved from any wrongdoing. That's still statistically possible, but highly unlikely. Once that is no longer possible he gone. 

1 minute ago, Thiefery said:

Knowing this is likely Sam's last season, I hope we can run the table and he wins a conference championship.  If Urban is on board, another loss or not, CDC should still make the change regardless if we do run the table or not.

What do I know, but even if Urban was completely on board with taking the Texas job this season, I think it's highly unlikely CDC fires Herman after he runs the table and wins a conference title. 

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

What do I know, but even if Urban was completely on board with taking the Texas job this season, I think it's highly unlikely CDC fires Herman after he runs the table and wins a conference title. 

Baylor loss or any other loss seals his fate. Let's be optimistic and hope that the unity translates to mudholing the rest of the schedule. 

I do think there's an outside chance that a Texas win out including conference championship gets him absolved from any wrongdoing. That's still statistically possible, but highly unlikely. Once that is no longer possible he gone. 
If he wins out and wins the conference, then he should stay. But we all know that won't happen.

Just now, Mikey4 said:
30 minutes ago, immamac said:

If he wins out and wins the conference, then he should stay. But we all know that won't happen.

I'm saying there's a chance. You can't fire someone with a chance. As soon as there is no chance. He gone. 

20 minutes ago, South Austin said:

That's the reason we need to do it now.

13 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The teams we’ve played so far in the big 12 are 2-7 vs big 12 teams. The two wins are vs us. 

Tech has since benched Bowman after he torched us. 

now back to reality

2-7. That's amazing. 

And yeah, re: Bowman, my boy & I were talking during the game about how shitty that guy was, and how depressing it was that we still couldn't stop him.

On 10/19/2020 at 11:02 PM, jinx said:

I don’t think I’ve seen Mark Stoops on any list yet.  Guy can flat out coach, but doubt he would come here.  He is my new Mullen, a good coach over performing at a typical doormat.  Not sure he would win national titles, but he would win a conference title or 2 here.  

For whenever Mark Stoops resurfaces on here as a candidate after Urban Meyer tells us “hahaha, How are you gentlemen? All your base are belong to us.”, go check out that dude’s buyout at UK. I looked at it a few years ago for some reason and it was in the high $20millons. It might be the highest in CFB besides Ferentz’s.  

24 minutes ago, immamac said:

He doesn't even get from the sidelines to the locker room. I'm sure CDC has already pre-fired him. 

The ol’Lane Kiffin treatment. If the dude loses to Baylor, frankly, we should have strongmen at the ready that just beat the guy into a body cast before he reaches the tunnel. He can use his teeth in the hospital to sign the severance docs. 

10 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

I’d say it’s @GreenspointTexas, but that’s not a cheerleading outfit.

I remember when they were filming that movie and hiring extras. Every scrotey fratdouche at Texas and their ACC hanger-ons tried out. I worked with some guys at Sito’s that made the cut and thought they were well on their way to future stardom. I ran into one of those dudes a few years back and he’s an assistant manager at a Brewingz in Pasadena/Clear Lake. Sometimes, dreams really do come true. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

For whenever Mark Stoops resurfaces on here as a candidate after Urban Meyer tells us “hahaha, How are you gentlemen? All your base are belong to us.”, go check out that dude’s buyout at UK. I looked at it a few years ago for some reason and it was in the high $20millons. It might be the highest in CFB besides Ferentz’s.  

Are you sure you didn't look at the "if he's fired, what does he get?" buyout rather than "if he leaves for another job" buyout?

Here's some buyout numbers I could find (maybe some are off, others can feel free to fact check)

PJ Fleck- $10mm
Mario Cristobal- $8mm
James Franklin- $5mm
Matt Campbell- $5mm
Chris Klieman- $5mm
Luke Fickell- $4mm
Bronco Mendenhall- $2.4mm that changes to $1.8mm on December 4th
Justin Wilcox- $2mm
Mark Stoops- $1.65mm
Billy Napier- $1.25mm
Herm Edwards- $1mm
Justin Fuente- $1mm
Bryan Harsin- $0.25mm
Sonny Dykes- unknown
Urban Meyer- $0mm

A lot of these drop after a certain date, but the only one that's earlier than December 31st is Mendenhall's, and I'd assume that we'd make the change before the early signing week

5 minutes ago, Red Five said:

So Erin Hogan doesn't normally do this sort of thing, but he just said to keep an eye on Dabo.

Bucky said "Are you crazy?".

He wanted to come in 2013-2014, but wanted to bring his entire coaching staff with him. He wasn't taken seriously. Of course, he blew up soon after. 

I don't think even Bama, his alma mater, could get him at this point. 

33 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The ol’Lane Kiffin treatment. If the dude loses to Baylor, frankly, we should have strongmen at the ready that just beat the guy into a body cast before he reaches the tunnel. He can use his teeth in the hospital to sign the severance docs. 

I remember when they were filming that movie and hiring extras. Every scrotey fratdouche at Texas and their ACC hanger-ons tried out. I worked with some guys at Sito’s that made the cut and thought they were well on their way to future stardom. I ran into one of those dudes a few years back and he’s an assistant manager at a Brewingz in Pasadena/Clear Lake. Sometimes, dreams really do come true. 

I’m from a small Texas town and I think a couple of my buddies got in as extras.  Thought they had hit it big.    I think they were already well into their 30s by then

Herman still doesn't get it... 😑 Every game, so much emphasis on 'establishing the run'. Every game it never happens, we waste time and go down by multiple scores, and we then have to rely on Sam playing hero ball to salvage a comeback.

(Joseph Cook) Herman hopes handling of bye week helps Texas during consequential stretch

Texas head coach Tom Herman mentioned following his four-overtime loss versus Oklahoma in Dallas he needed to create more “good on good” reps between his first and second team players during the bye week. Like every college football team, the Longhorns use a scout team in order to simulate what the next opponent will run for the starters and backups.

Last week, Herman held off on using a scout team until Friday. “Our guys had a lot of fun,” Herman said. “We got a lot of work in in a short amount of time. The production of reps I thought was at an all-time high this past Tuesday and Thursday. A ton of really, really good looks with our one offense, one defense, two offense, two defense.”

Those “good on good” reps in practice were revelatory for Herman. In a press conference that ran almost 20 minutes over its normal 30-minute time slot on Longhorn Network, Herman spoke in plenty of generalities on a range of topics, from the mental status of his team to what is expected following the game during The Eyes of Texas.

Herman was finally asked for specifics on where he saw the most improvement based off those one-versus-one reps. “Run game, both sides of the ball,” Herman said. “We made an emphasis certainly Tuesday, even some on Thursday, as we sprinkled in some third down and red zone, but it was run the ball and stop the run. Both sides of the ball got better because of it.”

Those practices took place last Tuesday and Thursday, but what about Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, and yesterday, the Monday of game week? Texas’ 2-2 record and performance in its three conference games would seem to inspire a need for utilizing every minute of practice time available. But head coaching in college is about striking a balance. It’s a balance Herman will have to find in what could be the most consequential stretch of his head coaching career.

In addition to limiting practice days, Herman limited practice time during the bye as well. None of the practices were longer than 75 minutes. It was not intended to be as a reward. In Herman’s mind, it was necessary for his team’s physical health. The Longhorns’ first three conference games all came down to the final possession, with the most recent game versus Oklahoma turning into a four-overtime affair in Dallas’ 90-degree heat. Those are grueling battles on the gridiron, and those battles can take a toll.

Herman gave good reason for the rest. UT has player tracking data which measures an individual player’s exertion throughout the course of the game. Herman said there were a handful of players whose data would suggest they played almost two whole football games against Oklahoma, in addition to the players who had a regular mark for a football game. “We need to heal, too,” Herman said.

The list of injuries exiting a bye was long. Herman said Chris Brown had a “shoulder injury” and Brenden Schooler had a “pretty significant contusion to the inside of his right thigh.” Both Brown and Schooler are expected at Tuesday’s practice. Same for Brayden Liebrock, who was working through a shoulder injury.

Jake Smith, who missed games against Texas Tech and Oklahoma with lingering affects from his hamstring injury, “practiced a couple of times last week” according to Herman. Reese Leitao, Tyler Owens, and Caden Sterns all “practiced for the first time on (Monday).” Herman announced Ayodele Adeoye had surgery and would miss the remainder of the year.

Also, in a bigger blow, Jordan Whittington will miss several weeks following a “freak strain of his hip flexor.” Herman said it was not related to his previous hernia injuries, but rather was related to a hit from the side or the back. Herman hopes his decisions to run the first-team offense and defense against each other in limited spurts will have the positive effects needed during this crucial stretch. He has mentioned over and over how Texas must stop beating itself and cited several “minor assignment issues” that have plagued the Longhorns during conference play.

The thought is putting good on good will better simulate game speed, something Texas and every other team in the country missed due to the pandemic wrecking spring and summer workouts. Potential improvement would go a long way toward helping Herman in a time when his Texas tenure is under more scrutiny than ever before. Whether that thought becomes concrete will play out Saturday in Austin versus Baylor.

Don't let Bellmont see that.  They'll dig Bill Little up from the brush pile and next thing you know, and one column later,  we'll be on the cusp of a national championship.

I miss Bill during these times.   The Herman pressers are comedic as is.     Bill waxing poetic about the mess that is this program would be the icing on the cake. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Basically confirmed at this point

Holy shit, that guy is a bit unbalanced. The amount of time he's spent tweeting at/about Yale is...not normal.

He seems really interested in dfw schools and billy luicci's tweets, so I'd say as a source claiming to have inside information about ut based on living in/working in Austin, he's as solid as they come.

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas