Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

FYI, from the "Urban Meyer or bust" thread ... 

14 minutes ago, RVC2005 said:

One stipulation is a damn near unlimited budget for assistants. Most likely no one from the current staff will be retained (this is for actual coaches). I’m telling you guys, this is a “hand the keys over, and watch from over there” type of deal. Also, the win tonight does damn near nothing to the plan. Herman is still in hot water. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Ok so who is RVC2005?

Royal Vacation Club member since 2005. Duh!

Seriously, I hope Urbs is asking that about assistant salaries and for control over football. I expect CDC to contain the more nefarious aspects of his chequered past, and impress to him the importance of that to the mutual legacy of multiple NCs.
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Whatever said:

Fuck that shit. If I was the HC I’d be sitting to the side with a glass of bourbon or scotch and watching the team dance as I knowingly nodded like Ron Swanson.

Coaches don’t need to dance with the team.

We beat OSU but we’re jumping around like we won the World Series. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, MrBig said:

The team and the coach crowdsurfing in the locker room after the game.

Did not see that.

Wow!

2-2 in Conference (and should be 1-3) and we're bringing the house down. But hey, Mack lost to his second "Are you fucking kidding me?" team of the season and that's a rejuvenated Mack Brown. We've been doomed to shit this past decade.

That is a game that 9 out of 10 times we should lose. Offense wasn’t doing much, other team had almost double the offensive production, defense was getting gashed, you score on a kickoff return, and take 4 turnovers and get 3 FGs and a TD out of them (unless I missed another TD instead of FG). We shouldn’t have won the game. But we did so Herman gets some credit for that.

But here’s the deal, he’s going to lose another game. It’s his hallmark. He’ll lose one of the remaining games where we will be favored to win. It would not shock me to see us turn around and immediately lose next week to WVU. It’s going to happen along the way. Herman always cocks up against a team he should beat. The rest of the schedule is littered with those teams.

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Lives! said:

We actually control our own destiny at this point, correct? Win out and we win the conference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes.

I'm actually more interested in what loss will mathematically eliminate us though. I think the next one but I'm not sure. 

Edited by Viper

9 hours ago, DaysOff said:

I just cringe at that kinda shit now.

I remember our players doing the same thing to Charlie when he managed to beat OU.  Didn't change the fact that he couldn't coach worth a damn and the team sucked.

I enjoy the wins, especially because workhorses who are getting screwed by Mensa's ineptitude, like Sam, deserve them, but it's just lipstick on a pig at this point.  Back the Brinks truck up to Urban's house.  I was advocating for doing the same thing with Saban when Charlie was about to be gone.  We should have gone after a proven winner then and we didn't.  Let's hope the powers at be don't fuck this up yet again.

• Hook 'Em 2

A not unrealistic scenario:

We win out - 2 conference losses

OU wins out - 2 losses

OSU wins out (except their loss to OU) - 2 losses

ISU wins out (except their loss to us) - 2 losses

I'm not sure what the tiebreaker would be, head to head us and OU would both be 2-1 against the other 3, whereas OSU and ISU would be 1-2.  If it is by ranking probably us and OU would be highest since our losses would be earlier in the season

Anyways none of that fucking matters, we still need to fire Herman as soon as possible.  If there was a way to even more mediocre than we already are, that would be us next year.

A not unrealistic scenario:
We win out - 2 conference losses
OU wins out - 2 losses
OSU wins out (except their loss to OU) - 2 losses
ISU wins out (except their loss to us) - 2 losses

I'm not sure what the tiebreaker would be, head to head us and OU would both be 2-1 against the other 3, whereas OSU and ISU would be 1-2.  If it is by ranking probably us and OU would be highest since our losses would be earlier in the season

Anyways none of that fucking matters, we still need to fire Herman as soon as possible.  If there was a way to even more mediocre than we already are, that would be us next year.

It’d be Texas and OU by virtue of the 2-1 records. That’s not happening though. That Texas team out there didn’t really look any better. They’ll lose again.

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

That is a game that 9 out of 10 times we should lose. Offense wasn’t doing much, other team had almost double the offensive production, defense was getting gashed, you score on a kickoff return, and take 4 turnovers and get 3 FGs and a TD out of them (unless I missed another TD instead of FG). We shouldn’t have won the game. But we did so Herman gets some credit for that.

But here’s the deal, he’s going to lose another game. It’s his hallmark. He’ll lose one of the remaining games where we will be favored to win. It would not shock me to see us turn around and immediately lose next week to WVU. It’s going to happen along the way. Herman always cocks up against a team he should beat. The rest of the schedule is littered with those teams.

The “control our own destiny” talk makes me laugh. Oh you mean like we do at the start of every season? Our problem is and has been consistently playing good football. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

The “control our own destiny” talk makes me laugh. Oh you mean like we do at the start of every season? Our problem is and has been consistently playing good football. 

The difference is that this ‘control our own destiny’ talk is now after playing what have been Herman’s three toughest opponents. 

Herman could fuck up a wet dream - and he’s just as capable of fucking up the Urban plan by winning out against the rest (bottom) of the Big12.  Yes - I expect him to lose again - but even more than that I expect him to fuck up what would be a program/destiny changing hire. 

15 minutes ago, Lenny Hornridge said:

I have a gnawing pit in my stomach that says yesterday bought Herman a 2020-Covid Mulligan, provided the team finishes strong. He can lose one more (probably WVU) and as long as it's not an ass raping, the administration will just write this year off.  

We aren't gonna whiff on another chance at a top 2 coach are we?

1 hour ago, Bob Lives! said:

We actually control our own destiny at this point, correct? Win out and we win the conference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. Therefore we come out flat Saturday morning. Fall behind 14-0. Classic Tom. 

lose 35-31

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

The fans and boosters hate Tom. He's bleeding recruits.

At a certain point, it isn't really up to administration anymore.

I think that unless they have a certified home run hire lined up, and we all know who that is, then there will be a strong impulse to write this off as 2020 and put him on the hot seat for 2021.  Of course, that will likely lead to Meyer to USC if he wants to get back into coaching.  I think a few things could seal Mensa's fate though.  Clearly, the wheels coming off on the rest of the season.  I also think Meyer sending a message to CDC that he is eager to take over and bring Texas back would do it.  But if Herman finishes out a 3 loss year with a close loss to WVU, my gut tells me his dumb ass is coming back.

Then again, I have no insider information and am just spitballing and speculating like almost everyone else. 

Not allowed, for multiple contractual reasons and state laws.

Do it anyway. You can breach a contract if you want to. Nothing wrong with that. If someone throws a fit about state law, pay it lip service after the fact. That’s what schools do anyway in a football coaching search.

Not allowed, for multiple contractual reasons and state laws.

Do it anyway. You can breach a contract if you want to. Nothing wrong with that. If someone throws a fit about state law, pay it lip service after the fact. That’s what schools do anyway in a football coaching search.

7 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Man, the more I think about it and observe the offense, I think Herman's brief stint at OSU ruined him.

He mistook the institutional advantages there (good recruiting, ease of recruiting, great head coach and solid assistants) for his own brilliance.  And he thinks what he did there can and should be duplicated wherever he goes.

mastermind.  "hey, I'll just bring my flunky G5 staff to Texas.  everything will be peachy."  

"uh coach that is what the last guy did"

"yeah but he's not Tom "Mastermind" Herman, you idiot"

Edited by dcar00
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hanrahan said:

School administration doesn't need to be involved with any contract negotiations with Meyer at all. Hartzell and CDC don't need to talk to him right now. You get 90% of the way there with just Meyer's agent talking to boosters.

Then the agent and boosters go to CDC/Hartzell and say, "Here are the terms we agreed on, is this cool?"

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wood said:

Yeah that was my first reaction as well ... if this is the locker room reaction from this win, it speaks volumes about where this program is.

This is truly spot on. I loved the win, our guys just finally physically wore out their guys. Ossai was fantastic all game, and it was so fitting that his sack should clinch it for us.

Now, taking it back to the fact we had a +4 turnover margin and a K/O returned for a touchdown this game should NEVER have gotten to overtime. Best stats I can find indicate about a 93% chance of winning when you are +4 on turnovers and yet we were very close to being in the 7% that lose such a game.

The things that really temper my enjoyment of the win are the 13% third down efficiency, the 51% completion rate, average of 3 yards per rush, 5 sacks allowed, and 13 penalties for 142 yards. Any one of those should raise an eyebrow at a well coached program and I don't mean having the coach mention that it's "fixable". For $5 million a year, coach, there is no excuse for it not to be "fixed" long before game day!

Yes, they beat the #6 team in the country at their house in a highly dramatic fashion so they should celebrate, but in an alternate reality with say 9-15 on 3rd down instead of 2-15 , and 2 sacks allowed, this game is a blowout with a locker room celebration that looks more like they expected to win.

• Hook 'Em 3

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas