Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

When I returned the call this spring of the Athletic Department lackey who was calling me begging for me to renew my Foundation membership and season tickets, I said nope, I no longer felt that the football program was committed to excellence, and was accepting of consistently losing to the likes of TCU, Iowa State, Baylor, Ok State, etc.  

Turns out I made the right call for once. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I'm sure next season will be fine with our backup who never gets the chance to throw to his WR's. Tom gonna right the ship with either Casey Thompson, rs frosh JQJ, or rs frosh Card. Everything will be fine. We're in good hands now. 

You forgot about that veteran offensive line  with all kinds of depth 

2 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

Good call Minute Bull. So sick of the horseshit they roll out on gameday.

Some of the highest priced tickets in the nation, for a weak subpar product.  Great business model. 

I think maybe the lemmings may wake up next year, like I did.  The stadium is going to be half full or thereabouts, with a poor team and a malodorous schedule.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Yup. People want to make our problem way more complicated than it actually is. It isn't the conference or the style of TX HS football or the city of Austin or some sort of inherent "soft" culture within the athletic department. 

It is coaching. We are good when we've had good coaches. We are mediocre when we've had mediocre coaches. We are bad when we've had bad coaches. Sometimes these things are really simple. 

Does the "culture" at Texas make the coaches less effective? I don't see any reason to buy this. What did any of them do at other schools after leaving Texas? If they were actually great coaches and they were simply submarined by some sort of "toxic" culture at Texas, wouldn't they have thrived once they went to Purdue or Arizona or South Florida? Not only did they not thrive, they were disasters. Akers went 12-31-1. Mackovic went 10-18. Strong, to his credit had a winning record (21-16), but he inherited an 11-2 team, and had them at 4-8 by his third year. 

We also hired Mack Brown during my lifetime. Mack got to Texas and basically did what he was doing at North Carolina for a few years, then went 69-9 over a 6-year stretch. He lost his fastball a bit, as we all know, and he has acknowledged that it was his own fault. He's back in the game, and in 2 years has turned UNC from a bad team to a good team. 

So yeah - when we've had good coaches, we've had good teams. The only thing keeping Tom Herman from winning big at Texas is his own inability to manage his program. He hired bad assistants. He is a bad in-game strategist. His teams have consistently committed too many dumb penalties for 4 years. These are coaching issues. They are apparent. THey cost the team games. This isn't complicated. 

the culture problem is how we select coaches.  to many cooks, too many BMD wanting to be Jerry Jones.

2 hours ago, Mo Horn said:
This is the "confirmation" that he's coming back next year. Still not a clear cut statement to that fact. 

He is coming back?

Well I have some problems with how this thing has been handled. We should have been shouting to the world that he was coming back and we are committed to Tom Herman as coach. Because I thought he was fired and couldn't figure out why were letting him stay head coach.

Seems like Tom Herman might as well be fired considering how his recruiting collapsed this year.

I mean Herman is still a young head coach, only 45, any chance he learns anything and gets better in the future?

I guess we will see if Chris Ash actually gets better in year #2 as defensive coordinator.

Edited by Valmy77

3 minutes ago, troph said:

the culture problem is how we select coaches.  to many cooks, too many BMD wanting to be Jerry Jones.

Well I guess it is up to the AD.

I do not really understand him being so loyal to a coach that was forced upon him. One would think most ADs would be eager to get their own people in important positions.

Or is this because of that stupid extension he should not have gotten after the Sugar Bowl?

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, troph said:

Who are the “new” BMDs pulling the strings since the Red McCombs generation is dying off?   And do they really give a shit or understand what it takes to win football games?  Or at least field a respectable and in the hunt program?

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Well I guess it is up to the AD.

I do not really understand him being so loyal to a coach that was forced upon him. One would think most ADs would be eager to get their own people in important positions.

Or is this because of that stupid extension he should not have gotten after the Sugar Bowl?

1 minute ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Who are the “new” BMDs pulling the strings since the Red McCombs generation is dying off?   And do they really give a shit or understand what it takes to win football games?  Or at least field a respectable and in the hunt program?

it's really the fact that they are even there with the exception of writing a check.  Hire the best AD, let him do his job.  Even the president needs to stay out of it.  BMD hired Herman, President extended him, CDC hasn't done any of that, then he was left in the wind on the UM deal with BMD driving that too.  it's a fucking shit show.  has been since Akers vs. Campbell.  You made a lot of money, congrats. doesn't mean you know jack shit about football.  back off.

4 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

When does this dude's contract expire anyway? It was supposed to expire this year but we decided to go ahead and extend after he failed to win the Big 12 in year 2. How much longer until we can just part ways?

About tree-fiddy.  Meaning 3.5.  Meaning the amount of strip club grams of coke in an eight-ball.  So yeah, we were wrong about this guy.  

9 minutes ago, troph said:

it's really the fact that they are even there with the exception of writing a check.  Hire the best AD, let him do his job.  Even the president needs to stay out of it.  BMD hired Herman, President extended him, CDC hasn't done any of that, then he was left in the wind on the UM deal with BMD driving that too.  it's a fucking shit show.  has been since Akers vs. Campbell.  You made a lot of money, congrats. doesn't mean you know jack shit about football.  back off.

I guess I really started paying more attention to the politics with the BMDs during the Mack years.  Especially the later part when it was apparent not only did Mack need to go, but Deloss as well. Yeah , the “We’re Texas” mantra some of those guys always used and currently throw out there thinking everything we touch should turn to gold without having to hold people accountable until it’s too late is the reason we are on this hamster wheel.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I dont know who all of them are, but I will say an increasing portion of the big money exe's (if we arent specifically talking about football/sports donors) are not the same Demographic as the Red McCombs, Joe Jamail, Tom Hicks etc of the world...and some didnt exactly grow up immersed in our states crazy football culture. Not sure that makes any difference, just sayin

What a shit-ton of people don't seem to understand is that until TH is fired, CDC simply CAN'T publicly say anything other than "TH is the coach and will continue to be the coach". Otherwise, UT would be in violation of the terms of the contract and he'd get a call from TH's agent and lawyers pronto.

The overreaction here is something to see. CDC's statements were purposefully ambiguous and written to satisfy terms of the contract.

The season begins when the old one ends, so if Tom is still the head coach when the clock runs down to zero in the bowl game, he will have been the coach "moving forward into the 2021 season". 

JFC y'all. This isn't rocket surgery, The sky isn't falling.

2 hours ago, ousux said:
2 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I dont know who all of them are, but I will say an increasing portion of the big money exe's (if we arent specifically talking about football/sports donors) are not the same Demographic as the Red McCombs, Joe Jamail, Tom Hicks etc of the world...and some didnt exactly grow up immersed in our states crazy football culture. Not sure that makes any difference, just sayin

This is true, but it’s also why I think the new generation of BMDs won’t demand the same level of access and control as the larger-than-life personalities like McCombs and Jamail. Hopefully, the new BMDs are more willing to let the AD do his job.

I hope, anyway.

That being said, what is Oliver Luck doing these days?

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
Wont, don’t...whatever.

3 hours ago, ousux said:
3 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

The later part of what you stated is a needed component with whomever our BMDs are the up and comers .   Football is what is supposed to grease the wheel and at least Red,  Jamil, and Hicks et.al understood this although they deserve some of the ridicule they got at times for wanting to preserve the status quo even when the tree need to be rid of some dead wood.   Red with Deloss in the later days of his tenure is a good example of this.  

At the same time with whomever the new  BMDs are,   the need is there for a few to step up and assume the roles of the named above who can call up the BOR, the President’s office or Bellmont to tell them their shit stinks.  The difference between the old school guys like Hicks and Red is they used to pick up the phones to do the ass kicking in their own organizations which was the same tactic they used wherever  they threw their money around to demand access.   The new generations are used to HR departments and VPs of this and that to do their dirty work.   They are going to have to learn when it comes to influence and money, picking up the phone and unannounced visits are the way to go.  Writing the checks and then getting special recognition during halftime or a long TV time out is small part of the perks.  

2 hours ago, wood said:

What a shit-ton of people don't seem to understand is that until TH is fired, CDC simply CAN'T publicly say anything other than "TH is the coach and will continue to be the coach". Otherwise, UT would be in violation of the terms of the contract and he'd get a call from TH's agent and lawyers pronto.

The overreaction here is something to see. CDC's statements were purposefully ambiguous and written to satisfy terms of the contract.

The season begins when the old one ends, so if Tom is still the head coach when the clock runs down to zero in the bowl game, he will have been the coach "moving forward into the 2021 season". 

Fair enough.

But until something happens I think I am just going to assume we have another year of one score games ahead of us.

3 hours ago, wood said:

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

yeah, what could have been CDC if it werent for the vid....my guess is the exact same because he lost to the 3 coaches that are obviously better than he is.

We had the best roster in the Big 12 and lost 3 games and should have lost 2 more.  

If Herman is on the sidelines next year I will buy my tickets and sell them. he's gonna lose at least 4 next year.

3 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Next season might be a good time to try and start getting season tickets

thermensa is arrogant, fraudulent and a dead corch walking.  do not bet against a dead cat bounce in august.  we could very well beat pig and open 3-0.  until we see the actual league schedule there is no way to know if our 5 league losses are coming before november 1st.  if the tv money sandbags for therm to keep us relevant in to november, they will schedule us to open with rapelor tech and the 2 kansases with thieves in there somewhere.  if that happens the stadium stays "full".  if we open with roach, isu, oSu, wv & thieves then the stadium empties and we have no support for how far down the bottom lies.  that's when you buy.

i would not invest a dime in this program until the day therm is gone.

thermensa is arrogant, fraudulent and a dead corch walking.  do not bet against a dead cat bounce in august.  we could very well beat pig and open 3-0.  until we see the actual league schedule there is no way to know if our 5 league losses are coming before november 1st.  if the tv money sandbags for therm to keep us relevant in to november, they will schedule us to open with rapelor tech and the 2 kansases with thieves in there somewhere.  if that happens the stadium stays "full".  if we open with roach, isu, oSu, wv & thieves then the stadium empties and we have no support for how far down the bottom lies.  that's when you buy.
i would not invest a dime in this program until the day therm is gone.

Yeah, but then there’s a New Hope with the new coach.

Of note is that the only thing specific in the CDC statement is that he says, "With the close of the REGULAR season..."   His coaching evaluation may yet happen at the end of the COMPLETE season, which is after the bowl.  I have to believe that CDC can see that fan support, $$, and recruiting are all in the shitter with Mensa, and prolonging his tenure makes the cleanup worse.