Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

3 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I don't care. I'm just a neutral observer. I do find it interesting watching Texas fans who've been shitting all over Urban for the past decade twist themselves into knots convincing themselves that of course he'll be the next Texas coach and all it takes will be an offer. 

We shit all over him? Why did we do that?

Did he vote OU ahead of us in 2008? Because if so...

20 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I don't care. I'm just a neutral observer. I do find it interesting watching Texas fans who've been shitting all over Urban for the past decade twist themselves into knots convincing themselves that of course he'll be the next Texas coach and all it takes will be an offer. 

No you're not.  

And there haven't been a lot of posts saying Urban will be the next coach.  Most of us want it to happen, but there's a lot of skepticism.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

then observe and leave the posting to the grown-ups.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Literally nobody has said this

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

I live in LA....by choice.  Love it here.  But ole Buckeye makes Austin seem like Tupelo, which is really rich for someone who I think lives in Ohio.  I've lived all over the country, Austin has a lot of fans and some coaches could careless about places as large as LA.

Well damn look at us all Texas Exes in LA. Westsider holla!

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, TexasRenegade said:

Fuck That Guy GIF - FuckThatGuy FuckThat WhoTheFookIsThat GIFs

Now that that has been appropriately responded to.....

The Texas can't do it because the financials look bad and it would be a really bad look.  Look the AD is separate from the university for a reason. This is that reason.  Financially we are completely separate from the University so any struggles they are having are a different matter.  

As for the AD itself.  If TH didn't have the program in such a horrible state, the financial situation would probably be better anyway. So at least a portion of it is his fault...he is the problem.  Secondly, I feel terrible for all the staffers in our bloated AD that have been furloughed and laid off.....but if any of them have the potential of generating $150,000,000.00 in revenue every fall....they wouldn't be currently furloughed would they......This is like asking if the Houston Astros should resign George Springer after they had to furlough some staff during the season......

Considering our despair has been going on for 10+ years and we have changed coaches and AD's already, there's definitely organizational rot in the Athletic Department. So furloughs and house cleanings are needed.

54 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

It’s incredible that shit heads like you can learn to type. Neutral observer, Mensa would love you as an assistant. You took the time to sign up for a username, which we can all tell you put a lot of your personality into, and then decided to vomit diarrhea into a paragraph making a super original joke about how arrogant we Texas fans are. You sir can go fuck your self 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Tom Herman's buyout details at Texas revealed 

BySAM MARSDALE 5 hours ago

The Texas Longhorns have gotten off to a rough start in the 2020 college football season. In what many viewed as a make-or-break year, the Longhorns were upset at home by TCU and then proceeded to lose the Red River Showdown to Oklahoma. This came after it took a miraculous comeback to defeat Texas Tech when they were double-digit favorites.

Tom Herman is in his fourth year with the program, and if things don’t turn around quickly, there’s always the chance Texas could decide to move on. How much of a financial burden would it be to do that?

According to USA Today’s 2020 college football coaches salary database published today, Herman’s buyout as of Dec. 1 of this year stands at $15,416,667. Herman is 27-17 overall and 18-12 in conference play as Texas’ head coach.

Kirk Bohls of the Austin American-Statesmanwrote in his weekly column that Herman needs a huge finish to the season to keep his job. One anonymous source explained to Bohls what Texas’ mindset regarding Herman is right now.

“I think there is a wait-and-see attitude,” the source told Bohls. “The thing to watch is whether the team stays on the field after the next game. I think that is a good indicator as to whether he has lost the team or not.”

Bohls himself was less positive about Herman’s staying power in Austin. Herman is in his fourth season and has lost at least four games each year, although he did have a 10-win campaign in 2018. Texas has done strong work in recruiting under Herman, but the Longhorns haven’t put it all together and haven’t been able to knock Oklahoma off its perch as Big 12 champs.

Still, Texas has a chance to change the narrative over its next two games — fairly tough ones against Baylor and Oklahoma State. The Cowboys are the only undefeated team remaining in the Big 12, so Texas will need a win in Stillwater if it wants to hang onto any hope of mounting an improbable run to the conference title. Oklahoma State hasn't been a complete juggernaut this season despite starting 3-0 as it has dealt with injuries at quarterback, but winning that game on the road is a fairly big ask. If Texas moves on from Herman, Bohls said the Longhorns will focus on two of the biggest coaching names in all of football.

“Herman had better run the table or go 5-1 down the stretch and go to a big bowl if he wants to save his job,” Bohls wrote. “If the meltdown continues and Texas limps home with a 5-5 season, boosters will come up with the minimum $35 million to pay his three-year buyout and his staff and the first year of a new staff. A prominent Longhorns power broker told me Tuesday he isn’t sure Herman is gone.

“The suggestions on a potential new coach start and pretty much end with Urban Meyerand 49ers coach/Texas ex Kyle Shanahansecond in line. Firing Herman would send a horrible message as a university, which cries poverty at the same time the school has announced furloughs and layoffs. Then again, football is king.”

Defensive breakdowns and execution issues, among other things, are to blame for the losing skid and Herman hopes to find answers during the open week under intense scrutiny.

2COMMENTS

To make matters worse, per Horns247, those close to the program were "displeased with the team's lack of participation post-game during the playing of the school’s alma mater, “The Eyes of Texas.” Longhorns quarterback Sam Ehlinger was one of the few players who could be seen on the field standing for the song along with coaches and staff members, including Herman."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, UT Lax said:

That is exactly my point. There is not a coach that is good enough to be a virtual guarantee to turn UT football around that would be worth paying $25mn to buyout current staff and then on top of that guarantee another $25-$35mn over 5 years. I would much rather lockdown a more certain future in guaranteeing Urban Meyer or Shanahan $50mn then potentially piss away another $25-$35mn and be in the same boat 3 years later!  Therefore, unfortunately in this environment, if we can't lock down Urban Meyer or Shanahan with an offer that is too good to refuse, the prudent thing to do is just wait a year, reduce the buyout by $10mn and let Herman completely implode without this year's senior class.  

You're stepping over dollars to pickup pennies. UT can't afford to wait a year, it would lose far more than $25 million in donations, merchandise sales, suites, tickets, etc....

There is only one chance to avoid being fucked for 2-3 years after recruits and players leave, and that's firing Herman by Dec at the latest. Doing it yesterday would be much better of course. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

Just read the letter from CDC, he's backing up Herman with the same nonsense talking points. His good will is starting to wear thin for me. :( 

The handling of the Herman/Smart duo will be his legacy, good or bad.  So far, it ain't looking good.

Edited by Herpa Derpa

I have a stupid question...

Why is it that every time we are not winning (which is a lot lately) we think the BMD and AD are going to hire HoF level coaches?

When have we ever money-whipped a HC that already has a couple rings?

The smart thing to do would be find innovative coaches who extract maximum value from their currently under-resourced and under-recruited programs... And then ask them how they would have us in conference championship contention in year 3... And hire the one that has a plan to do it in two. Set up his contract with a decent base and fuck you money escalators.

But what do I know? I'm a $200 donor.

9 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

Just read the letter from CDC, he's backing up Herman with the same nonsense talking points. His good will is starting to wear thin for me. :( 

You can't publicly shit on the football coach and team while he's still employed. It'd leave a bad look. While we as fans would like it. It just would not go over well creating a bigger shit storm than it already is. The last paragraph where he talks about being 2-2 isn't where we want to be. Is more telling imo. That's a shot across the bow to Herman saying your time on limited time so if advise you to not shit on the season anymore than you have already. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

So Zach, which is it? Either Tom is a piece of shit Urban was?

Give up the blow man. Just walk away...
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Snacks said:

I have a stupid question...

Why is it that every time we are not winning (which is a lot lately) we think the BMD and AD are going to hire HoF level coaches?

When have we ever money-whipped a HC that already has a couple rings?

The smart thing to do would be find innovative coaches who extract maximum value from their currently under-resourced and under-recruited programs... And then ask them how they would have us in conference championship contention in year 3... And hire the one that has a plan to do it in two. Set up his contract with a decent base and fuck you money escalators.

But what do I know? I'm a $200 donor.

garrido but we didn't need to money whip him.

10 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

You can't publicly shit on the football coach and team while he's still employed. It'd leave a bad look. While we as fans would like it. It just would not go over well creating a bigger shit storm than it already is. The last paragraph where he talks about being 2-2 isn't where we want to be. Is more telling imo. That's a shot across the bow to Herman saying your time on limited time so if advise you to not shit on the season anymore than you have already. 

Well said. There are things I can say to/about a subordinate and things I can't. If you go into the parts of the "can't zone" you have essentially fired them on the spot. Which you should do If you get pushed into considering it more than once.

Edited by 927 E. 41st

Just seems like a SOP weekly address. You’re right, can’t shit on the coach. Gotta address things like everything’s normal since there have been no actions taken. Only other thing to do is not release your weekly letter, and then that just adds to the storm.

Without a firm defense of Tom himself, this letter doesn’t tell me anything outside of no final decisions have been made.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, closetojumping said:

something akin to 5-7% of the population has a true disorder - narcissism, sociopathy, genius, bipolar, histrionic.

So what’s your take on a person who exhibits very strong characteristics of all of the above disorders?   Asking for a friend.

35 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

Fuck CDC. he's nothing more than a carnival promoter.  The fact that he didn't address the Eyes of Texas during the summer and make it clear that everyone, coaches and players were expected to stand united, whether than sang or not shows what a weak-ass, empty suit he is.  We need to gut the athletic department and start over.

39 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

You're smoking something if you expect anything different from the AD mid-season.  NOTHING is going to happen until after the season and until then it's all public support.

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas