Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

You know, I’m against knee jerk reactions and all but I don’t understand why we haven’t fired Tom and hired Urban already?  Like why wait?  He’s there for the taking and he will win.  He’d definitely whip the dogshit out of the sweaty pregnant meatball in Fort Worth...

What if he’s talking it over with his family/some other wishful thinking?

32 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

So what’s your take on a person who exhibits very strong characteristics of all of the above disorders?   Asking for a friend.

Am I the friend?

25 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

So Herman’s buyout is 15mill on December 1st. Sounds like someone is going to get reassigned mid season till 12/1...

12 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

You know, I’m against knee jerk reactions and all but I don’t understand why we haven’t fired Tom and hired Urban already?  Like why wait?  He’s there for the taking and he will win.  He’d definitely whip the dogshit out of the sweaty pregnant meatball in Fort Worth...

I discussed something tonight with a friend who isn’t involved, but he’s been around this stuff at many places and is around this one. Kind of a Ras Al Ghoul (sic?) type, I guess. 

Herman’s arrogance and certitude that he’s right and sort of the “L’etat, c’est moi!” attitude that he’s exhibited - they lend themselves well to a forensic blueprint of bad behavior on company/AD devices. UT doesn’t normally quibble over buyouts with folks they fire, but this might be one in which a case is being built, there’s plenty to work with, and the target is to take the number from $15million to as low as possible. Making Trace Armstrong sort through the importance of Herman working again and what that is worth might be a part of this equation. Guys like Shaka Smart and Chuckles, largely liked people who couldn’t get it done, UT doesn’t do that shit. Here though? It’s not crazy to think it is part of the calculus. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

You're stepping over dollars to pickup pennies. UT can't afford to wait a year, it would lose far more than $25 million in donations, merchandise sales, suites, tickets, etc....

There is only one chance to avoid being fucked for 2-3 years after recruits and players leave, and that's firing Herman by Dec at the latest. Doing it yesterday would be much better of course. 

I strongly agree with this. While I hate being in the three year coaching spiral, when it obviously isn't working and isn't going to work there is no real excuse for not moving on. 

There is a price for action, and a price for inaction. 

Edited by 927 E. 41st

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Am I the friend?

I discussed something tonight with a friend who isn’t involved, but he’s been around this stuff at many places and is around this one. Kind of a Ras Al Ghoul (sic?) type, I guess. 

Herman’s arrogance and certitude that he’s right and sort of the “L’etat, c’est moi!” attitude that he’s exhibited - they lend themselves well to a forensic blueprint of bad behavior on company/AD devices. UT doesn’t normally quibble over buyouts with folks they fire, but this might be one in which a case is being built, there’s plenty to work with, and the target is to take the number from $15million to as low as possible. Making Trace Armstrong sort through the importance of Herman working again and what that is worth might be a part of this equation. Guys like Shaka Smart and Chuckles, largely liked people who couldn’t get it done, UT doesn’t do that shit. Here though? It’s not crazy to think it is part of the calculus. 

Hope that it’s true. I can’t imagine UConn Tom has been very careful. The double bird to the LHN cameras comes to mind. His arrogance will be his undoing. I do hope they have enough on him to end his time here soon. 

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Am I the friend?

what kind of stuff could herman have on his phone/device that would lower the buyout by so much?

8 hours ago, closetojumping said:

What motivates Urban Meyer is an interesting topic. Money always matters, but that's allegedly not his primary driver. Achievement and prestige play roles.

I've also noticed that whenever he's talking about Texas on the pre-game show his hands are busy flashing that big ass gold championship ring around like it's a resume.

Could be a coincidence.

Just now, Viper said:

what kind of stuff could herman have on his phone/device that would lower the buyout by so much?

See, this is where the cadre of Surly lawyers would come in handy. Someone could examine the contract and give us a POV. 

That considered, it’s a negotiation. You take your position and I take mine, they’ll be on opposite ends because this is contentious. Here are my facts. Show me yours. Now let me explain how that diminishes value for me. Then let me explain how long and ugly and public this will be for all of us. How confident are you versus taking something much smaller now?

I’ve dealt with a few contentious exits of execs before, and usually it’s a negotiation. Dealt with a narcissistic motherfucker who had to go a few years back. He thought he had things in his favor right up until the actual depositions started and then he got religion, quick. But I’m not a lawyer and I don’t see this stuff all the time. I like to think things could go that way with Herman, though. 

5 hours ago, UT Lax said:

It is hard to find a team even close to UT in underperforming their talent, particularly considering we have a 4 year starter at QB who was a pre-season heisman candidate. Yes, you could argue LSU, but they had 14 players drafted in the last NFL draft (a record tying # and a record tying 5 in the first round, including #1 overall), have a new QB and offensive coordinator, had 4 NFL top talents opt-out due to Covid, and they can hang their hats on the fact that they are the defending national champion.  The only team even close is Florida St. But, they had a losing record last year and have a new coaching staff.  

USC says hold my espresso bean infused vodka with oat milk

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

See, this is where the cadre of Surly lawyers would come in handy. Someone could examine the contract and give us a POV. 

That considered, it’s a negotiation. You take your position and I take mine, they’ll be on opposite ends because this is contentious. Here are my facts. Show me yours. Now let me explain how that diminishes value for me. Then let me explain how long and ugly and public this will be for all of us. How confident are you versus taking something much smaller now?

I’ve dealt with a few contentious exits of execs before, and usually it’s a negotiation. Dealt with a narcissistic motherfucker who had to go a few years back. He thought he had things in his favor right up until the actual depositions started and then he got religion, quick. But I’m not a lawyer and I don’t see this stuff all the time. I like to think things could go that way with Herman, though. 

I wonder if Zach Smith could sober up for long enough during a deposition

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I discussed something tonight with a friend who isn’t involved, but he’s been around this stuff at many places and is around this one. Kind of a Ras Al Ghoul (sic?) type, I guess.   Herman’s arrogance and certitude that he’s right and sort of the “L’etat, c’est moi!” attitude that he’s exhibited - they lend themselves well to a forensic blueprint of bad behavior on company/AD devices. UT doesn’t normally quibble over buyouts with folks they fire, but this might be one in which a case is being built, there’s plenty to work with, and the target is to take the number from $15million to as low as possible. Making Trace Armstrong sort through the importance of Herman working again and what that is worth might be a part of this equation. Guys like Shaka Smart and Chuckles, largely liked people who couldn’t get it done, UT doesn’t do that shit. Here though? It’s not crazy to think it is part of the calculus. 

Great point.  Back after the tech crash in early 2000's,  lots of financial firms were forced to let people go.  Easiest targets were "The Players" who felt that they were untouchable.   Some of the shit uncovered would be embarrassing even on SURLY, and significantly reduced their severances...

5 hours ago, UT Lax said:

That is exactly my point. There is not a coach that is good enough to be a virtual guarantee to turn UT football around that would be worth paying $25mn to buyout current staff and then on top of that guarantee another $25-$35mn over 5 years. I would much rather lockdown a more certain future in guaranteeing Urban Meyer or Shanahan $50mn then potentially piss away another $25-$35mn and be in the same boat 3 years later!  Therefore, unfortunately in this environment, if we can't lock down Urban Meyer or Shanahan with an offer that is too good to refuse, the prudent thing to do is just wait a year, reduce the buyout by $10mn and let Herman completely implode without this year's senior class.  

Ahh ya, the old wait another year to watch the shitty coach really shit the bed so we can save $10M while recruiting falls further off the cliff and fewer good coaches are interested in a prolonged rebuild that probably gets them fired and derails their career to save a little money ploy...  

You’re an idiot if you think keeping this shit head 1 second longer than necessary is the prudent thing to do.   If Urban says no you offer him more.   If he still says no then you go through a very short fucking list of people and keep offering until someone says yes.  

This asshole has no business coaching here in 2021,  Fuck, hire Freshwater and Klieman and make them Co-HC OC/DC, I really don’t give a fuck but asshole is done here.  

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Mensa find religion, lulz! His prayers are probably him looking in the mirror while drawing up plays that won’t work, “we got this Tom...I mean lord, if the damn players would just listen to me. Who recruited these assholes anyway.” 

• Rage+1 1

17 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Take it fwiw (which is nothing) but I saw on another site that there is a supposed insider in OB saying things are moving faster than he expected with Urban. 

I believe this fully, simply because I want it to be true that badly

Idk how true this is.   I don’t have a sub over there but allegedly a poster on ob posted in December that usc wasn’t gonna be able to pull Urban because he was waiting for Tom to fuck up and the. Take this job.  Do not shoot the messenger this is third hand.   I don’t subscribe over there as I will never give fat ketch a penny. 

43 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Mensa find religion, lulz! His prayers are probably him looking in the mirror while drawing up plays that won’t work, “we got this Tom...I mean lord, if the damn players would just listen to me. Who recruited these assholes anyway.” 

HERMAN...

stuart.jpg?w=600

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Idk how true this is.   I don’t have a sub over there but allegedly a poster on ob posted in December that usc wasn’t gonna be able to pull Urban because he was waiting for Tom to fuck up and the. Take this job.  Do not shoot the messenger this is third hand.   I don’t subscribe over there as I will never give fat ketch a penny. 

They just hired Carol Folt from UNC as their new president with the optics of cleaning house on the admissions scandal. She came in with the reputation of whitewashing cleaning up the academic scandal at UNC. They were not going to hire Urban.

Edited by TexMexBuddha

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas