Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

7 minutes ago, UhhhIdk said:

In so many words can someone tell me why we aren’t good? Lack of talent? Bad development? Bad coaching? It seems like talent should overcome bad coaching or are the highly rated guys in Texas not that good? UTSA could give us a close game at this point 

Tom Herman wants to have fun rather than prepare. That's the problem. 

6 minutes ago, UhhhIdk said:

In so many words can someone tell me why we aren’t good? Lack of talent? Bad development? Bad coaching? It seems like talent should overcome bad coaching or are the highly rated guys in Texas not that good? UTSA could give us a close game at this point 

Lack of discipline on the field both with penalties and being out of position are a big part. No matter how talented you are it's hard to overcome 10 penalties per game or lack of fundamentals

11 minutes ago, UhhhIdk said:

Basically Tom Herman is a fraud of a coach and a big pussy

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, UhhhIdk said:

Talent isn’t issue. We’re #5 in terms of roster talent with only Bama, Georgia, Ohio State, and Clemson ahead of us. 

it’s coaching and lack of discipline

13 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Only person that seems to be pouring any kind of water on this dumpster fire is that fat fuck ketch. Anwar is Tom Hermans known mouthpiece at this point...Orangebloods trying to carry that water right now

Ketch has got his hands full right now - someone on twitter linked a bunch of screenshots of shit OB people were talking about players and @'d them to players, coaches, admin.  Ketch claims they've 'cleaned that up' but not a good look for his shitty site.

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

Ketch has got his hands full right now - someone on twitter linked a bunch of screenshots of shit OB people were talking about players and @'d them to players, coaches, admin.  Ketch claims they've 'cleaned that up' but not a good look for his shitty site.

Usually his hands are full of donuts

fat week GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, GTX Horn said:

Lack of discipline on the field both with penalties and being out of position are a big part. No matter how talented you are it's hard to overcome 10 penalties per game or lack of fundamentals

Discipline is the number one issue.  Shitty discipline is the result of shitty coaching and it starts with Tom Herman.  Get him the fuck out of here and let Ash/Yurcich finish out the season. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Darius Terrell Thirsty Thursday

Spoiler

The “Eyes of Texas” are upon Tom Herman …

Let me start this section off by saying that I don’t believe that we would even be having a conversation right now about the school alma mater if this 2020 version of the Texas Longhorns were 3-1 or 4-0 right now. I’m of the opinion that in a way, not dissimilar at all from the national anthem controversy, a song is being used to distract from the true issues at hand.

Nevertheless, following a vomit-inducing contest on Saturday against what was probably the worst Oklahoma Football team of this century, all of the chickens are starting to come home to roost. If you recall, there has been a lot going on in America since about March, when this COVID-19 Pandemic shut everything down nationwide. A few months later, George Floyd, who ironically would have been turning 47 years old today, was murdered in broad daylight by a Minnesota Police Officer, sparking racial tension throughout the country and causing fractures among many working relationships.

Professional Athletes took the initiative, using their platforms to bring attention to this specific issue and the issue of racial inequality in America. This time, in an unprecedented twist, the College Athletes followed. For the first time that I can ever remember, there was a unified voice of minority athletes in “amateur” athletics and everything rallied around the death of Mr. Floyd. Other issues began to be examined closer by the younger generation and they’ve began asking questions and challenging “traditions” that have long been standing at many institutions across the country. 

Everything became public on June 12th for Texas. Players voiced their displeasure and lack of comfort level with a few things on campus. From the lack of recognition of pioneer African American Athletes on campus such as Julius Whittier, to the names of individuals that in the past have been associated with hate and racial division removed from campus buildings. They wanted change. 

The “Eyes of Texas,” is a long-standing tradition for the University of Texas and for many of its graduates and fans. There was attention brought to the origins of the song and there were players on the team that stated that they didn’t feel comfortable singing the song.

Texas Coach Tom Herman also publicly sided with his players and has even led marches downtown with his team to bring attention to issues of racial injustice.

On July 13th, new Texas President Jay Hartzell announced that a wide range of diversity initiatives had been created in response to the letter publicly posted by the athletes on campus. If you remember, there was plenty of outpouring public approval from Texas players on social media after these changes were announced.

It appears though, unfortunately, that not much has really changed from that time up until this very moment that I’m writing this piece. 

This was just tweeted out on Monday, October 12, 2020. Sterns didn’t play in the game against Oklahoma on October 10th

On October 4th, Texas President Jay Hartzell said the following in an email to the university community, “I understand and appreciate the deep passion surrounding our alma mater, “The Eyes of Texas.” As we move forward and continue to perform and sing ‘The Eyes,’ it is critical that we understand the full history of the song, share that history broadly and provide context around its meanings, origins, and roles during the past 120 years.”

It was then stated that Texas would revisit the topic in early 2021, which essentially left the topic to be a potential issue later on.

It’s officially become an enormous issue.

Following the Quadruple OT loss to Oklahoma on Saturday, pictures began to circulate on social media, message boards, and other forms of the internet of Senior Quarterback Sam Ehlinger standing as the lone player that remained on the field after the game for the duration of the song.

There has been outrage expressed by some fans publicly and there have been rumors of donations being rescinded behind the scenes from program donors over the issue. 

Are we sure this is really about the song and not about the extremely underwhelming fourth year under a former hotshot young coach with a 4-year starter at the helm?

I knew the lyrics to ‘The Eyes’ when I was at Texas. Hell, as Freshmen, we were all forced to stand up together onstage and sing it in front of the rest of the team. I stood out on the field with my teammates after games and often held up my index and pinky fingers after ballgames -whether we won or we lost- simply out of respect for the people in the stands that came out to support or traveled to support the team during our 60 minutes of battle.

Do I believe that it is not a great look that the majority of the guys didn’t stay out there? Yes. 

Sure, it would be nice to show some unity by everyone sticking around together and standing afterward for the song. From the other side of the spectrum, though, they kind of DID show unity by everyone being on the same page and leaving the field. In that same breath, I think one guy choosing to stay out on the field by himself could also be considered not being a good teammate. Just a thought. 

Do I believe that any intent or malice was meant behind the players not staying out there? Not really.

Think about it. After a loss, especially one that was extended extra time like that one, the last thing most guys want to do is stand outside with their helmets off in the heat and sing. 

Especially considering the setting, with Oklahoma celebrating midfield in the backdrop.

If the song in question is one that some players have expressed that they are uncomfortable with, well, that also makes some sense as to why some guys wouldn’t stick around if given an option.

Tom Herman had given his guys the option and a lot of people have a big problem with that. Should it really come as a surprise that he doesn’t/didn’t make it a requirement? 

This off-season has been filled with Herman publicly backing his players. He can’t really renege on that now, especially with his job possibly on the line if this program doesn’t put together a string of W’s in a hurry. But the kitchen is about to get even hotter.

Athletic Director Chris Del Conte gave Herman a 2-year contract extension on his previous deal which was good through 2021, pushing Herman’s contract through 2023 with the final two years being worth a total of over $13 Million. If Texas were to cut bait with Herman after this season, it would be on the hook for three years of paying a guy that isn’t working for him as well as a brand-new staff for a new coach.

Not ideal at all in the current climate of financial uncertainty that has been caused by COVID-19. 

The two are starting to look like their fates could be tied together, but that could still be to be determined based on Herman’s next move. Late yesterday evening, this news came out from Del Conte in his weekly public forum:

If I am to be understanding this correctly, the players are now going to be asked (required? forced?) to stand for the song at the end of competitions.

I’m sure that this will be seen by some players as an infringement upon their agreement and understanding from this summer. Tom Herman and his staff will be responsible for somehow keeping the band-aid on this situation, while also trying to “establish an identity” over these next 10 or so days before (hopefully) playing Baylor.

Early in Herman’s tenure Texas had an identity. They were consistently the tougher, more physical team heading in to each matchup but that has changed the longer he has been at the helm. This is as tumultuous as I can remember hearing things being surrounding the Football program since I’ve been old enough to pay attention and I’m wondering if we’re all about to witness an epic meltdown with all eyes in America upon Texas over the next 6-8 weeks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Hide contents

Let me start this section off by saying that I don’t believe that we would even be having a conversation right now about the school alma mater if this 2020 version of the Texas Longhorns were 3-1 or 4-0 right now. I’m of the opinion that in a way, not dissimilar at all from the national anthem controversy, a song is being used to distract from the true issues at hand.

Nevertheless, following a vomit-inducing contest on Saturday against what was probably the worst Oklahoma Football team of this century, all of the chickens are starting to come home to roost. If you recall, there has been a lot going on in America since about March, when this COVID-19 Pandemic shut everything down nationwide. A few months later, George Floyd, who ironically would have been turning 47 years old today, was murdered in broad daylight by a Minnesota Police Officer, sparking racial tension throughout the country and causing fractures among many working relationships.

Professional Athletes took the initiative, using their platforms to bring attention to this specific issue and the issue of racial inequality in America. This time, in an unprecedented twist, the College Athletes followed. For the first time that I can ever remember, there was a unified voice of minority athletes in “amateur” athletics and everything rallied around the death of Mr. Floyd. Other issues began to be examined closer by the younger generation and they’ve began asking questions and challenging “traditions” that have long been standing at many institutions across the country. 

Everything became public on June 12th for Texas. Players voiced their displeasure and lack of comfort level with a few things on campus. From the lack of recognition of pioneer African American Athletes on campus such as Julius Whittier, to the names of individuals that in the past have been associated with hate and racial division removed from campus buildings. They wanted change. 

The “Eyes of Texas,” is a long-standing tradition for the University of Texas and for many of its graduates and fans. There was attention brought to the origins of the song and there were players on the team that stated that they didn’t feel comfortable singing the song.

Texas Coach Tom Herman also publicly sided with his players and has even led marches downtown with his team to bring attention to issues of racial injustice.

On July 13th, new Texas President Jay Hartzell announced that a wide range of diversity initiatives had been created in response to the letter publicly posted by the athletes on campus. If you remember, there was plenty of outpouring public approval from Texas players on social media after these changes were announced.

It appears though, unfortunately, that not much has really changed from that time up until this very moment that I’m writing this piece. 

This was just tweeted out on Monday, October 12, 2020. Sterns didn’t play in the game against Oklahoma on October 10th

On October 4th, Texas President Jay Hartzell said the following in an email to the university community, “I understand and appreciate the deep passion surrounding our alma mater, “The Eyes of Texas.” As we move forward and continue to perform and sing ‘The Eyes,’ it is critical that we understand the full history of the song, share that history broadly and provide context around its meanings, origins, and roles during the past 120 years.”

It was then stated that Texas would revisit the topic in early 2021, which essentially left the topic to be a potential issue later on.

Following the Quadruple OT loss to Oklahoma on Saturday, pictures began to circulate on social media, message boards, and other forms of the internet of Senior Quarterback Sam Ehlinger standing as the lone player that remained on the field after the game for the duration of the song.

There has been outrage expressed by some fans publicly and there have been rumors of donations being rescinded behind the scenes from program donors over the issue. 

Are we sure this is really about the song and not about the extremely underwhelming fourth year under a former hotshot young coach with a 4-year starter at the helm?

I knew the lyrics to ‘The Eyes’ when I was at Texas. Hell, as Freshmen, we were all forced to stand up together onstage and sing it in front of the rest of the team. I stood out on the field with my teammates after games and often held up my index and pinky fingers after ballgames -whether we won or we lost- simply out of respect for the people in the stands that came out to support or traveled to support the team during our 60 minutes of battle.

Do I believe that it is not a great look that the majority of the guys didn’t stay out there? Yes. 

Sure, it would be nice to show some unity by everyone sticking around together and standing afterward for the song. From the other side of the spectrum, though, they kind of DID show unity by everyone being on the same page and leaving the field. In that same breath, I think one guy choosing to stay out on the field by himself could also be considered not being a good teammate. Just a thought. 

Do I believe that any intent or malice was meant behind the players not staying out there? Not really.

Think about it. After a loss, especially one that was extended extra time like that one, the last thing most guys want to do is stand outside with their helmets off in the heat and sing. 

Especially considering the setting, with Oklahoma celebrating midfield in the backdrop.

If the song in question is one that some players have expressed that they are uncomfortable with, well, that also makes some sense as to why some guys wouldn’t stick around if given an option.

Tom Herman had given his guys the option and a lot of people have a big problem with that. Should it really come as a surprise that he doesn’t/didn’t make it a requirement? 

This off-season has been filled with Herman publicly backing his players. He can’t really renege on that now, especially with his job possibly on the line if this program doesn’t put together a string of W’s in a hurry. But the kitchen is about to get even hotter.

Athletic Director Chris Del Conte gave Herman a 2-year contract extension on his previous deal which was good through 2021, pushing Herman’s contract through 2023 with the final two years being worth a total of over $13 Million. If Texas were to cut bait with Herman after this season, it would be on the hook for three years of paying a guy that isn’t working for him as well as a brand-new staff for a new coach.

Not ideal at all in the current climate of financial uncertainty that has been caused by COVID-19. 

The two are starting to look like their fates could be tied together, but that could still be to be determined based on Herman’s next move. Late yesterday evening, this news came out from Del Conte in his weekly public forum:

If I am to be understanding this correctly, the players are now going to be asked (required? forced?) to stand for the song at the end of competitions.

I’m sure that this will be seen by some players as an infringement upon their agreement and understanding from this summer. Tom Herman and his staff will be responsible for somehow keeping the band-aid on this situation, while also trying to “establish an identity” over these next 10 or so days before (hopefully) playing Baylor.

Early in Herman’s tenure Texas had an identity. They were consistently the tougher, more physical team heading in to each matchup but that has changed the longer he has been at the helm. This is as tumultuous as I can remember hearing things being surrounding the Football program since I’ve been old enough to pay attention and I’m wondering if we’re all about to witness an epic meltdown with all eyes in America upon Texas over the next 6-8 weeks. 

Ugh this is so fucking stupid

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pancho said:
  • CDC met with team and stated expectations to be on the field for TEOT.  Players will do this, no issues, but no everyone expected to sing. 
  • CDC and TH working OT to calm fan base and donors
  • Team isn't fractured like people think (Pancho's assessment:  Team is just turrible)

Did the team WIN Wednesday Practice??

10 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Reveal hidden contents

Anybody else find it hard to believe that Sam was the only one who knew the EoT would still be sang after the blOwU game? That irritates me as much as the "Kerstetter was just trying to push the pile" by clearly smoking a player not in the pile after the whistle. I like seeing blOwU players in pain but not from a dirty ass hit coach fuck face. He has come off the rails. That has to help what CTJ referenced earlier about forcing him to take less than his whole buy out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

What was the insubordination?

Generally that CDC has made it clear to all coaches - repeatedly - that players are expected to, at the very least, be present on the field/court/whatever during the playing of the Eye's.  The conclusion from the author's article is that Herman was either incompetent or insubordinate by not conveying that message to his players.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, WinningIsHard said:

Anybody else find it hard to believe that Sam was the only one who knew the EoT would still be sang after the blOwU game? That irritates me as much as the "Kerstetter was just trying to push the pile" by clearly smoking a player not in the pile after the whistle. I like seeing blOwU players in pain but not from a dirty ass hit coach fuck face. He has come off the rails. That has to help what CTJ referenced earlier about forcing him to take less than his whole buy out. 

I can understand if you’re a true freshmen or whatever. But seniors and guys who have been in the program for a few years know how the cotton bowl does things. 

seems like a cop out excuse. 

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I can understand if you’re a true freshmen or whatever. But seniors and guys who have been in the program for a few years know how the cotton bowl does things. 

seems like a cop out excuse. 

"Oh, I thought for the first time ever in any game I've been associated with in four years where the band was present, they were going to fuck off instead of playing The Eyes. Whoops! Whoopsie!"

• Like 1

Wishful thinking, but I could see how this could be an opportunity for ol' Tom to jump off the Titanic that he steered into the iceberg himself:

1) Tommy resigns
2) He and CDC agree at the press conference to utter vagueries about "we respect each other but aren't in exact alignment with what the program should be" or somesuch and he gets his little escape route while not completely demolishing his ability to find another job.
3) CDC says thank you and we love you and good luck, blah blah blah.
4) Yurcich takes over HC this year. (I mean even if he went 2-4 would it be any different than now?  Who cares? Plus I think he'd get the players in his corner and win at least 3-4, but hey, what do I know).
5)  Hire Don Shula or Knute Rockne or whomever next year.
6) ??????
7) Profit

I'm only writing this fiction down because 1) it would be a way to squeeze out of this, 2) it would save face for the players, alumni, students, etc. - and even Tom Terrific; and 3) it's so obvious it hurts that Herman is at odds with everyone, including CDC.  There's nothing to "save" by dumping him now so you might as well.  This is pretty much rock bottom, with "The Eyes Of Texas" as cement shoes.  Hey, it's a plan.

Edited by phdhorn

Herman not finding out how/when EOT would be played at Cottonbowl was his mistake. But no EOT played at Tech game probably provides Mensa his excuse...

From FUCK CHIP BROWN article:

Complicating the issue Saturday was the delay in the playing of the Eyes by the Cotton Bowl operations staff. As the home team, Oklahoma’s alma mater was played first.  Without the band attending Texas games thus far, the Eyes wasn’t played at UT’s road game with Texas Tech.

According to sources, a large number of Texas football players — even players who wanted to stand for the Eyes after the OU game — didn’t think the Eyes were going to be played and headed to the locker room as OU’s Golden Hat celebration began.

“I don’t think the players were told about the Eyes being played after the OU game, because I know there are many players who would’ve been out there with Sam (Ehlinger),” one parent of a Texas player told Horns247.

That parent said the image of Ehlinger standing alone, “as if abandoned by his teammates, was upsetting to a lot of players who want to be present for the Eyes. And it’s resulted in a lot of players — and their parents — being asked about why they weren’t there. It’s another, needless distraction for a team trying to get their season going.”

That parent and multiple other team sources said contrary to speculation, the Texas locker room is anything but divided.  “Everything I’m hearing is the players are closeknit and still working very hard,” the parent said. “I think they’re just frustrated they aren’t playing better. But any narrative that the team is divided is totally false.”

Edited by LTtxfan

5 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

UT allegedly has hundreds of thousands of rabid fans. Tom's buyout amounts to 150k throwing a hundred bucks each into a hat and throwing it on CDCs desk tomorrow. Here you go motherfucker; now go get Urban or you're next.

send me my invoice for $150 and let's get this party started. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Herman not finding out how/when EOT would be played at Cottonbowl was his mistake.  But no EOT played at Tech game probably provides Mensa his excuse...

From FUCK CHIP BROWN article:

Complicating the issue Saturday was the delay in the playing of the Eyes by the Cotton Bowl operations staff. As the home team, Oklahoma’s alma mater was played first.  Without the band attending Texas games thus far, the Eyes wasn’t played at UT’s road game with Texas Tech.

According to sources, a large number of Texas football players — even players who wanted to stand for the Eyes after the OU game — didn’t think the Eyes were going to be played and headed to the locker room as OU’s Golden Hat celebration began.

“I don’t think the players were told about the Eyes being played after the OU game, because I know there are many players who would’ve been out there with Sam (Ehlinger),” one parent of a Texas player told Horns247.

That parent said the image of Ehlinger standing alone, “as if abandoned by his teammates, was upsetting to a lot of players who want to be present for the Eyes. And it’s resulted in a lot of players — and their parents — being asked about why they weren’t there. It’s another, needless distraction for a team trying to get their season going.”

That parent and multiple other team sources said contrary to speculation, the Texas locker room is anything but divided.  “Everything I’m hearing is the players are closeknit and still working very hard,” the parent said. “I think they’re just frustrated they aren’t playing better. But any narrative that the team is divided is totally false.”

This means the exact opposite.

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas