Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

This is the real benefit of the degree and school.  The contacts made and relationships that we all know makes the world go 'round.  Case McCoy is crushing it in Commercial RE in Austin.  Damn hard field to break in to.  Little doubt the skids were greased getting his name in the hat and deals done.  Happens all the time.

Aggy network, don’t touch Sully, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

They should be free to choose to do whichever they want regardless of why they’re doing it. It’s that simple. Forcing them because some fans and boosters got their pussies hurt is asinine. Again, Tom not conveying expectations was stupid as they are what his boss mandated, but those expectations were misguided.

Wish my wife allowed that...

8 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Those fans and boosters are the backbone of this program. Without them these players wouldn’t have their new locker room, the amenities they have, the access to top of the line healthcare, post graduate support, and etc. 

There are plenty of programs willing to give talented football players these same things and more.

3 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Correct and as a player who doesn’t see most of that money I also wouldn’t give two fucks and would choose to do whichever I wanted. If some old aggyesque turdition white guys get bent out of shape about it that’s not the players concern and the AD needs to find another way to placate they’re aggyesque tendencies. 

You sound smart.  Unfortunately, contributions from old white guys are and will remain the life blood of the Texas athletic department and the University for at least the next 50 years.  The players will all be gone in less than 5 years and very few will meaningfully contribute to the University once they are gone.    

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

If we were 4-0 coming off of a dominant win against OU and ranked in the top 10, do you think anyone would care even if those coaches went on record that football was breaking the rules? No. It would be cleaned up in a week and everyone would move on.

It's a little extra fuel on the fire, I get it, but there's already an aggy lincoln log sized blaze going, and it doesn't need much help to collapse at on itself at this point.

They literally stayed for it after the tech game. Numbers dwindled after TCU loss and were non existent after OU. 

Herman along with his peers were given specific instructions and protocol to follow regarding this. Herman is the only coach to fail at it. Let that sink in. 

How in the fuck is it only one coach who completely fucked this up? How come Del Conte isn’t having a team meeting with those other sports?

it’s either poor discipline and direct disregard for instructions for your boss or complete stupidity. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Just now, alincoln said:

You sound smart.  Unfortunately, contributions from old white guys are and will remain the life blood of the Texas athletic department and the University for at least the next 50 years.  The players will all be gone in less than 5 years and very few will meaningfully contribute to the University once they are gone.    

Guess what, this isn’t the hill donors are going to die on. You think people that donate millions to something as trivial as fucking football are going to lose that addiction because some players choose not to stand for a song? They’ll piss their pants about it for a few months right now sure because we suck ass but they’ll be back around. You know what will permanently damage our income? Being awful at football. You know what will permanently make us awful at football? Lack of talent acquisition. You know what will permanently damage talent acquisition? Stifling players rights over something as trivial as a school song.

I know many have hit on this, but my takeaway is that I've never seen Texas sites report on a coach like this. This is new. Bobby is calling for a coach to be fired in October. And one thing we learned about Bobby from the Mack days is that he knows who butters his bread.

Edited by Ricky Butler
  • Hook 'Em 2

Maybe if we had a coach who was worth a damn, he could create an environment where players would want to sing the eyes. I don't know, maybe try explaining how the people in the stands singing it are proud alumni, students and fans who want more than anything to see the team win.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

I know many have hit on this, but my takeaway is that I've never seen Texas sites report on a coach like this. This is new. Bobby is calling for a coach to be fired in October. And one thing we learned about Bobby from the Mack days is that he knows who butters his bread.

Yep its wild..every single site besides orangebloods ,who is a known herman mouthpiece, has gone ALL IN on the fire herman train

• Hook 'Em 2

As I am one of those old white guys, who is also a donor, and who spends time with very significant donors, you don’t sound very smart. Believe it or not, there are quite a few of us who are empathetic to the concerns expressed by players all across the country, including at Texas. Yes, there are some big donors who are continuing to cling to the eyes of Texas and want to see players act a certain way. It is why there is currently a conflict. But it doesn’t mean these donors are right. They aren’t. They just haven’t realized it yet.

• Hook 'Em 3

I think some of you all are confused. Not staying for the Eyes is an issue because it points towards insubordination. Insubordination is not only a reason for firing. It is also a reason for negotiating down Herman's buyout. This is important because funds need to be raised to pay for the buyout and to hire Urban.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hank_Hill said:

Guess what, this isn’t the hill donors are going to die on. You think people that donate millions to something as trivial as fucking football are going to lose that addiction because some players choose not to stand for a song? They’ll piss their pants about it for a few months right now sure because we suck ass but they’ll be back around. You know what will permanently damage our income? Being awful at football. You know what will permanently make us awful at football? Lack of talent acquisition. You know what will permanently damage talent acquisition? Stifling players rights over something as trivial as a school song.

Guess what, donors have already pulled or suspended donations as a result of this situation and informed CDC that they will reconsider those decisions once the situation has been resolved to their satisfaction.  You think CDC is reacting this aggressively to idle threats? The football program has sucked at a historic level for the past decade despite acquiring elite talent and coddling the players in every imaginable way.  The BMDs have thrown money at the program and seen nothing in terms of results.  CDC's future at Texas depends on resuscitating the football program and he needs significant support from a relatively tapped out donor base to get there.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

I think some of you all are confused. Not staying for the Eyes is an issue because it points towards insubordination. Insubordination is not only a reason for firing. It is also a reason for negotiating down Herman's buyout. This is important because funds need to be raised to pay for the buyout and to hire Urban.

What I've been speculating.... though not 100% sure if that's what's going on. 

Agree, but this also sends Herman out of here as a hero to the BLM movement, when he should be slinking off as a failure of a coach, and that pisses me off.

1 minute ago, alincoln said:

Guess what, donors have already pulled or suspended donations as a result of this situation and informed CDC that they will reconsider those decisions once the situation has been resolved to their satisfaction.  You think CDC is reacting this aggressively to idle threats? The football program has sucked at a historic level for the past decade despite acquiring elite talent and coddling the players in every imaginable way.  The BMDs have thrown money at the program and seen nothing in terms of results.  CDC's future at Texas depends on resuscitating the football program and he needs significant support from a relatively tapped out donor base to get there.

So they're in the pissing their pants for a few months phase as stated.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

As I am one of those old white guys, who is also a donor, and who spends time with very significant donors, you don’t sound very smart. Believe it or not, there are quite a few of us who are empathetic to the concerns expressed by players all across the country, including at Texas. Yes, there are some big donors who are continuing to cling to the eyes of Texas and want to see players act a certain way. It is why there is currently a conflict. But it doesn’t mean these donors are right. They aren’t. They just haven’t realized it yet.

Says the guy arguing that cancelling The Eyes represents "real social change".  Sure buddy.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Just now, BabaYaga said:

Just because we don't laud the "network" at every step in the process doesn't mean it's not robust and worth mentioning.  Every school has them.  

Jesus fuck, I am aware of this. Using said network as a reason not to piss off donors with a social justice issue is just a very aggy sentiment. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hank_Hill said:

So they're in the pissing their pants for a few months phase as stated.

I think you are being a little obtuse with your framing of their complaints. Constantly being asked to pony up money and seeing us shit the bed consistently and being upset about it is a perfectly reasonable reaction. 

18 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

They literally stayed for it after the tech game. Numbers dwindled after TCU loss and were non existent after OU. 

Herman along with his peers were given specific instructions and protocol to follow regarding this. Herman is the only coach to fail at it. Let that sink in. 

How in the fuck is it only one coach who completely fucked this up? How come Del Conte isn’t having a team meeting with those other sports?

it’s either poor discipline and direct disregard for instructions for your boss or complete stupidity. 

According to the article posted - they literally didn't play the Eyes after the Tech game because the band didn't travel.

Just now, Newy25 said:

I think you are being a little obtuse with your framing of their complaints. Constantly being asked to pony up money and seeing us shit the bed consistently and being upset about it is a perfectly reasonable reaction. 

THIS is absolutely reasonable, but not the issue being referenced. On the field results deserve this reaction. Post game traditions being modified do not.

7 minutes ago, Bevo said:

He says, with great hope in his heart...

1 minute ago, alincoln said:

Says the guy arguing that cancelling The Eyes represents "real social change".  Sure buddy.

A symbolic change is proposed: "get the fuck out, how does does this represent real social change in any way?".

A significant structural change is proposed: "get the fuck out, this is radical and oppressive. We need to start small and work to make incremental changes toward equality".

2 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Jesus fuck, I am aware of this. Using said network as a reason not to piss off donors with a social justice issue is just a very aggy sentiment. 

It's not really a social justice issue. It's a silly rider tacked on to the discussion of much more important issues and it's been mishandled and given way too much attention by everyone involved. The players care too much about it, the boosters care too much about it, Herman didn't do anything to address concerns of either side and meet in the middle, and CDC is just being dragged around while trying to please everyone and keep the entire fanbase from jumping ship.

Like you've said, the only reason it even is a big deal is because we fucking suck. If we were 4-0 and had shellacked OU the players could do whatever the fuck they want.

Unless they really came to play football at UT so they could make a stand and not sing the eyes of Texas. In which case we have a bunch of the wrong guys on campus - black, white, Mexican whoever.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Correct and as a player who doesn’t see most of that money I also wouldn’t give two fucks and would choose to do whichever I wanted. If some old aggyesque turdition white guys get bent out of shape about it that’s not the players concern and the AD needs to find another way to placate their aggyesque tendencies. 

After this I am done with the EOT.

What do you do for a living?  Just curious?  If you work for someone or a corporation, you don't see most of the money that said employer brings in either. Yet you are expected to operate and conform to expectation of said employer.  Just like the players are expected to pass class and not test positive for roids and such.  Everyone has expectations they have to conform to.  This is no different.  The golden rule.  He who has the gold makes the rules.

Is the EOT the reason that Tom should be fired? No, but if it ticks CDC off enough to do it, if it gets some rich old blue hair mad enough to go after Tom when the other issues with the program aren't then so much the better.  It's one more log on the fire.

I am done with the EOT discussion going forward we have a giant thread for it.

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

Exactly. My first reaction to that article was that it's the best indication I've seen that the wheels of Herman's dismissal / replacement are already in motion.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

THIS is absolutely reasonable, but not the issue being referenced. On the field results deserve this reaction. Post game traditions being modified do not.

Ah I see. I was only responded to your last post and missed the start of that discussion. I think this issue is being conflated with Herman just being a shit bag and the team not performing. If we were 4-0, we would have a more productive dialogue between donors, admin and players on this issue. 

56 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Think about it: after I've spent over $500 on tickets and wasted lots of time in traffic and crowds, the last thing I want to do is watch an unprepared group of primadonnas get the shit kicked out of them, again, because they failed to do what they're on scholarship to do. Yet, I always stay until The Eyes because that's just part of the experience at the University of Texas- I am all-in for the team because they represent my school. I am showing respect for their efforts, even when they're woefully lacking.

Just to clarify I'm not the asshole in the second quote lulz 

What do you do for a living?  Just curious?  If you work for someone or a corporation, you don't see most of the money that said employer brings in either. Yet you are expected to operate and conform to expectation of said employer.  Just like the players are expected to pass class and not test positive for roids and such.  Everyone has expectations they have to conform to.  This is no different.  The golden rule.  He who has the gold makes the rules.

Is the EOT the reason that Tom should be fired? No, but if it ticks CDC off enough to do it, if it gets some rich old blue hair mad enough to go after Tom when the other issues with the program aren't then so much the better.  It's one more log on the fire.

Oh I get your scheme. You ask us all how old we are, as if you are the wise, sage old guy who is worldly and all knowledgeable, but then when you find out I’m likely older than you, have as much or more business experience than you, probably am a bigger booster than you, you run off to look for a younger person to bully. Impressive.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

Agreed, this discussion should be moved. I'll transition there after this. As for my occupation I am currently a medical student. I do not get paid (similar to these players)and actually pay for the pleasure of the labor that I provide the schools clinics and campus hospitals. As such I hold my faculty and preceptors to a very high standard and provide criticism, feedback, and recently outright defiance when warranted. Especially when I feel my rights as a paying student are being intruded upon. 

7 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Oh I get your scheme. You ask us all how old we are, as if you are the wise, sage old guy who is worldly and all knowledgeable, but then when you find out I’m likely older than you, have as much or more business experience than you, probably am a bigger booster than you, you run off to look for a younger person to bully. Impressive.

Ad hominem fallacy. Non responsive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Hell yes. We’ve finally reached the logic master phase of this thread. Let’s get some rhetoric arguments going. 

I'd like to begin by citing Miranda vs. United States of America (1978)

Or Arizona (1966). Close not close.

Edited by ztejas

46 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Players rights weren’t stifled this offseason.  The university gave them everything they wanted save The Eyes.  The team has tons of talent and a senior QB and they still suck ass.  Not sure what point you are trying to make. 

Lol. TCU has been worse than we have the past 3 years. 
Eh. Not significantly so and they're 3-1 vs Texas in that time, with the 2018 win being a gift straight from Shawn Robinson.

TCU past three years plus this year: 11-3, 7-6, 5-7, and 1-2. That's 24-18 (.571) with one CCG/top ten finish, 2-0 in bowls, and a 3-1 record over Texas.

Texas is 7-6, 10-4, 8-5, and 2-2. That's 27-17 (.613) with one CCG/top ten finish, 3-0 in bowls, and a 1-3 record vs TCU.

We do have the sugar bowl NY6 win but they got to 11 wins.

Same tier to me. We know who's more talented in terms of recruiting, whuch speaks to coaching. I'm not saying we should hire Patterson but to act like we're a better program than TCU right now is dumb.

• Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas