Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

I mean it is kind of a big reason why Tom should be canned, so there's that. 

Discussion of how Herman's management of the ADs requirements on the eot should accelerate the case for firing him = appropriate for this thread.

Discussion of whether Herman, cdc, or the team have taken the appropriate stance on the eot, or what the appropriate stance should be = take it to the thread on that subject that the rest of us can choose to avoid.

Simple enough?

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Eh. Not significantly so and they're 3-1 vs Texas in that time, with the 2018 win being a gift straight from Shawn Robinson.

TCU past three years plus this year: 11-3, 7-6, 5-7, and 1-2. That's 24-18 (.571) with one CCG/top ten finish, 2-0 in bowls, and a 3-1 record over Texas.

Texas is 7-6, 10-4, 8-5, and 2-2. That's 27-17 (.613) with one CCG/top ten finish, 3-0 in bowls, and a 1-3 record vs TCU.

We do have the sugar bowl NY6 win but they got to 11 wins.

Same tier to me. We know who's more talented in terms of recruiting, whuch speaks to coaching. I'm not saying we should hire Patterson but to act like we're a better program than TCU right now is dumb.

By "past 3 years" I meant this year and the two prior. I have admitted that we are not a better program than TCU right now. Patterson wouldn't fix shit. He's fat and lazy and almost as stubborn as Herman. 

34 minutes ago, ztejas said:

It's not really a social justice issue. It's a silly rider tacked on to the discussion of much more important issues and it's been mishandled and given way too much attention by everyone involved. The players care too much about it, the boosters care too much about it, Herman didn't do anything to address concerns of either side and meet in the middle, and CDC is just being dragged around while trying to please everyone and keep the entire fanbase from jumping ship.

Except the boosters barely said a word about it until the team shit the bed AND left their leader on the field alone after he played his guts out.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Discussion of how Herman's management of the ADs requirements on the eot should accelerate the case for firing him = appropriate for this thread.

Discussion of whether Herman, cdc, or the team have taken the appropriate stance on the eot, or what the appropriate stance should be = take it to the thread on that subject that the rest of us can choose to avoid.

Simple enough?

Are you directing this at me? If so, I understand the delineation. Just making the point that "fire Tom Herman" is a big umbrella.

• Like 1

I liked when this thread was more when it was Urban Meyer fan fiction.
I'm still in amazement that there isn't more 9.95 fan fiction going on right now.

In Mack and Charlie's last days, there was a stream of vague hints from conversations with anonymous sources that at least kept things interesting. This time around, there's the Urban story to spin, and the best we've got this week is the glizzy guy saying nothing at all?

We can do better. My need to be distracted from work I should be doing demands it.

2 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

3-4 years removed from winning a conference championships and playing for a national title vs hoping to beat TCU and Baylor on the reg.  Yea there was a modicum....

We're on different paths.  I was assuming you were talking about replacing Brown.   But, yes, there was the hope you referred to. 

Carry on. 

10 minutes ago, horn_of_the_morning said:

I wonder if CDC/admin is misreading the anger in the fanbase purely as a result of the EOT issue? i.e. operating under the assumption that if we resolve The Eyes issue, all will be well and Tom can continue coaching for at least another year.

At some point mensa would have to START coaching to be able to continue coaching 

18 minutes ago, horn_of_the_morning said:

I wonder if CDC/admin is misreading the anger in the fanbase purely as a result of the EOT issue? i.e. operating under the assumption that if we resolve The Eyes issue, all will be well and Tom can continue coaching for at least another year.

I don't think they're stupid - pretty sure CDC's inbox has been flooded with pissed off alums for weeks 

I’m as pro-Eyes as anyone, but it’s got nothing to do with how they’ve played this year. Same undisciplined and stupid play on the field by the players and a coach whose game plans are a case study on the Dunning-Kruger effect that we’ve seen the last four years before The Eyes became an issue. 

Herman has had 3 full seasons at Texas. All are in the top 5 penalty yardage seasons in Texas history.   His 4th team is on course for a record but will likely get a respite from a shortened season.    There are fewer things in the game that indicate discipline, attention to detail and being buttoned up.  Or the lack of it.  These are all foreign concepts to this team but Herman clearly indicated earlier this week that he's got his arms around this issue, like everything else: 

- "I think you’re seeing it all across the country, but that is not an excuse. We’ve got to make sure that we’re the exception and not the rule, and that we play a cleaner brand of football when we’re out there on Saturdays. I think they all need to be taken individually and see why and how and what."

- “I think they’re all different.  Some come from an over-exuberance of trying to do too much. Some come from a lack of attention to detail and your technique. But they all need to be addressed singularly.”

- "Guys that that commit foolish penalties will be punished.  I’ve never been in a program where we’ve done that before. Some of the new coaches have been, and so moving forward, we’ll punish foolish penalties.  It’s the only thing left that we know how to do. We have educated, we have pleaded, we have, again, till we’re blue in the face."

-  "These are penalties that, like in Derek Kerstetter’s case, losing your wits for a split second and it winded up costing us."

Comical.   The guy is 47 months into his tenure at Texas and still has no, zero, clue how to instill discipline into his team and to avoid idiocy at the same time.   

But there is hope as punishment for penalties looks to be an option. More runny eggs and cold breakfast on the way.   Yay.

https://www.hookem.com/columns/20201015/eyes-texas-news-longhorns-well-way-another-historic-year-penalties/

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, CowtownHorn said:

Not our standard.

image.jpeg.0747134fde14f36b5a813670a23c74c9.jpeg

He looks like a rapist. And not the suave, smart, Ted Bundy kind. Or the charming, witty Bill Cosby kind. More like the weird, creepy Jeff Epstein kind.

Edited by ztejas
got my serial killers mixed up

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Oh I get your scheme. You ask us all how old we are, as if you are the wise, sage old guy who is worldly and all knowledgeable, but then when you find out I’m likely older than you, have as much or more business experience than you, probably am a bigger booster than you, you run off to look for a younger person to bully. Impressive.

Good......you sound like you’re about 12.  Big money wouldn’t waste their time making your argument, nor the time to defend themselves. Try a dose of humility  and maybe a little maturity....

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas