Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

1 hour ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I didn’t note anyone dogging Sam against LSU but I was watching the game and rarely pay attention to this thread any more. That’s laughable and I hope they got negged to Bolivia. 

I distinctly recall a certain prominent poster repeatedly calling him Mehlinger, Sam I Am and other derogatory shit.  That poster, to my knowledge, has never commented on his commentary. And has rarely been called out for it. 

Sam was more talented than Shane from the very beginning. I’m glad he’s taken steps from freshman mistakes to WTF moments early in his soph year to consistently good play to consistently great play. He’s a legit Heisman candidate. And one year ago we had a guy here calling him a retard. 

I never understood this. Dumbshit aggy also try to say the same shit. He's smarter than most of the QBs in the country on and off the field.

1 hour ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I didn’t note anyone dogging Sam against LSU but I was watching the game and rarely pay attention to this thread any more. That’s laughable and I hope they got negged to Bolivia. 

I distinctly recall a certain prominent poster repeatedly calling him Mehlinger, Sam I Am and other derogatory shit.  That poster, to my knowledge, has never commented on his commentary. And has rarely been called out for it. 

Sam was more talented than Shane from the very beginning. I’m glad he’s taken steps from freshman mistakes to WTF moments early in his soph year to consistently good play to consistently great play. He’s a legit Heisman candidate. And one year ago we had a guy here calling him a retard. 

That drive proved really early on that Sam was really special. Dude plays his best when the heat is on.

• Like 2

On 9/17/2019 at 8:26 AM, Dr. Beeper said:

This is a great post.I'm proud to say that I've always supported Sam since his Pop Warner days when his coach told us that he had a player who understood his offense on a level that he had never seen before.

I saved the nastiest comments from this thread and re-posted them here after the OU game and tagged the people who said them. To be clear, what people sometimes post about any of our current players is not okay, IMHO.  

Hook 'em. 

Playstation-Horns.jpg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Not a Sock said:

Because the empire is pimp as fuck and Texas isn’t a scrappy underdog it is a colossal power.

That gets their shit pushed in by Maryland rebels who find the one flaw in their Death Star and blows it the fuck up. Do you not see the problem here? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Eggo said:

That gets their shit pushed in by Maryland rebels who find the one flaw in their Death Star and blows it the fuck up. Do you not see the problem here? 

No shit. If you're going to be doing cheesy, campy mock ups, be Arnold from "Commando," or Stallone in "Rambo," or even Mel Gibson from any of his cheesy melodramas, but do NOT be the fucking bad guy who loses to the scrappy underdogs. What the fuck is that shit?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

No shit. If you're going to be doing cheesy, campy mock ups, be Arnold from "Commando," or Stallone in "Rambo," or even Mel Gibson from any of his cheesy melodramas, but do NOT be the fucking bad guy who loses to the scrappy underdogs. What the fuck is that shit?

Agreed. I thought my Star Wars analogy was better:

Jerry-Jason-Star-Wars.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

AUSTIN, Texas — As Texas opens Big 12 competition Saturday, a two-play sequence that took place in Week 2 against LSU perhaps best epitomizes the strides quarterback Sam Ehlinger has made as a complete signal-caller. It includes what Ehlinger believes is a first for him and is just one example of how he has thrived on third down this season.

Early in the second quarter, the junior QB sailed a deep pass over the head of receiver Brennan Eagles, who was closely covered by Tigers defenders. The incomplete pass forced UT into third-and-10 from its own 45.

Ehlinger wanted to push the pace, going into hurry-up as he barked out the next play.

“That was something that we were doing,” he said. “We knew on third down they like to sub in different packages, and we were doing that to prevent them from getting their packages on the field and disturbing that, because when they get in the perfect call, perfect situation, they’re so athletic, it’s hard to stop it.”

Ehlinger got what he was looking for.

The Longhorns kept their same personnel grouping in, hustling back to the line of scrimmage. LSU attempted to substitute nose tackle Tyler Shelvin. As the change took place, Tigers linebacker Michael Divinity Jr. slid down and lined up along the edge, replacing him on LSU’s defensive front. Safety JaCoby Stevens, who had guarded tight end Cade Brewer in the flat on the previous play, lined up in a linebacker depth.

But no one filled Stevens’ vacated deeper spot, leaving Grant Delpit as the lone safety over the top. Brewer lined up uncovered in a wide split next to Eagles.

About 15 seconds after Ehlinger’s previous pass had fallen incomplete, the Longhorns snapped the ball. They caught LSU with only 10 defenders on the field and dialed up a four-verticals play.

As Delpit raced down from his deep depth to guard Brewer, Eagles and cornerback Kristian Fulton were left one-on-one down the deep right side.

“We talk about it all the time,” UT head coach Tom Herman said later. “One-on-one is not covered. With timing and ball placement from the quarterback, we should be able to complete balls versus one-on-one. And I think (Ehlinger’s) bought into that.”

Ehlinger, under duress from Tigers star pass rusher K’Lavon Chaisson, fired a pass toward Eagles. Fulton mistimed his jump, allowing Eagles to make an acrobatic, leaping grab. He kept his balance, and with Delpit behind the play, he walked into the end zone.

https://cdn.theathletic.com/app/uploads/2019/09/18171123/Sam-Ehlinger-catches-LSU-with-10-players-on-the-field-for-TD-pass-to-Brennan-Eagles-ESPN.mp4?_=1

Ehlinger has taken advantage of defenses scrambling in the midst of substitutions before, but this was the only time he could remember stranding an opponent in this kind of fashion. Despite the feat — one that great quarterbacks are praised for being able to pull off — he was nonchalant about it.

“We were trying to catch them in a switch, which we did,” offensive coordinator Tim Beck said. “And Sam took advantage of it.”

If you ask coaches who have schemed against Ehlinger and players who have faced him, many say he is an underrated passer. Of course, he offers UT’s offense an additional dimension with his running ability, but his arm is what has catapulted him into the discussion of the top quarterbacks in college football.

“It’s interesting how (Ehlinger) doesn’t get credit for being the thrower that I think he is and proven he’s been over the past few years,” said Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy, ahead of this week’s matchup. “He works with some really good talent on the edge, guys that have a lot of length and height and can go and get the football.”

Ehlinger made big strides as a passer last season, his first as the Longhorns’ unchallenged No. 1 quarterback and his second year running Beck and Herman’s offensive scheme. Last year, he completed 64.7 percent of his passes for 3,292 yards, 25 touchdowns and five interceptions through 14 games. According to Pro Football Focus, he posted a clean-pocket passer rating of 113.5, registered 22 “big-time throws” and threw only seven turnover-worthy passes, which ranked 12th-best among 76 returning FBS passers.

Three games into his junior season, Ehlinger continues to elevate his play. He entered Week 4 with 956 total pass yards, which ranks eighth nationally. He’s one of two in the top 10 of the category who have yet to throw an interception. Alabama’s Tua Tagovailoa is the other.

According to Sports Info Solutions, Ehlinger is 9-of-22 for 297 yards, four touchdowns and zero interceptions on passes thrown 20 or more yards downfield. Only four players have had more attempts thrown with 20 air yards or more, and only five have more completions. His clean-pocket passer rating of 141.1 ranks seventh nationally (minimum 50 dropbacks), per PFF.

Herman attributes Ehlinger’s development to his experience in the offense. Ehlinger has direct input in the game plan, filtering out plays he likes and dislikes ahead of games. During games, he’s granted autonomy, allowing him to shake off and audible into plays.

“Completion percentages are great and all that stuff,” Herman said. “But knowing where to go, getting us out of bad plays and into better ones and being on time with his throws, it’s a testament to him.”

The Longhorns lean on Ehlinger, not only for leadership but also, and especially, in high-pressure moments. His reliability is perhaps best demonstrated by his numbers in third-and-long situations. UT entered Week 4 ninth in the nation in third-down percentage (56.8). The Longhorns are one of four teams ranked in the top 10 of the category that have faced 44 third downs or more.

Ehlinger’s numbers when facing third-and-7 or longer have been eye-catching. He’s completed 10-of-10 passes for 158 yards. Nine of those completions have resulted in first downs, including two touchdowns. He’s also carried four times for 16 yards. He’s been sacked once and has gained one first down in such situations.

This season, third-and-long scenarios have illustrated Ehlinger’s full comprehension of not only the playbook but also what opponents are rolling out against him. The aforementioned sequence against LSU where Ehlinger took advantage of the Tigers’ defense being a man down was just one example of several.

Late in the third quarter against LSU, UT faced third-and-10 from the LSU 20 while trailing 23-14. The Longhorns lined up in an empty formation featuring one running back and one tight end, then executed a four-vertical concept play, with running back Roschon Johnson running a shallow crossing route. LSU countered with a 4-2-5 formation including two safeties playing in a Cover 2 shell, where each safety is responsible for guarding a deep half of the field. This is the key to understanding where Ehlinger determined to throw.

https://cdn.theathletic.com/app/uploads/2019/09/18171416/Texas-vs-LSU-ESPN-Jake-Smith-TD.mp4?_=2

Before the snap, Ehlinger identified that LSU was in zone coverage. Safety Todd Harris would have a deep half responsibility on the near side of the field. Receivers Jake Smith and Collin Johnson, positioned closer to the sideline, each ran vertical routes, forcing Harris to provide help coverage for one or the other. As Smith rounded his route and broke up the seam, he was able to shield himself from Harris as he closed in.

It was as tight a window as imaginable, but Ehlinger was given time thanks to his offensive line, which fended off the Tigers’ four-man rush. Smith and Ehlinger had appeared to be working out timing issues on previous targets earlier in the contest, but they managed to connect here on a phenomenal throw from Ehlinger.

The next example of Ehlinger’s third-down prowess highlights the use of his legs and his chemistry with a veteran target in Johnson.

With less than nine minutes left in the fourth quarter, the Longhorns trailed LSU 37-28. They had the ball on their own 25 and faced third-and-10. UT lined up with three receivers on one side and with Johnson as the lone wideout on the other. LSU again lined up in a 4-2-5 look, and when the ball was snapped, the two safeties drop into a Cover 2 shell, with defenders in zone coverages underneath.

https://cdn.theathletic.com/app/uploads/2019/09/18171528/Sam-Ehlinger-rolls-out-finds-Collin-Johnson-vs-LSU-TV-angle-ESPN.mp4?_=3

Roschon Johnson, lined up next to Ehlinger in the backfield before the snap, appeared to run an option route. It occupied the cornerback on the near side, who had responsibility for the flat. As the pocket broke down, Ehlinger evaded pressure by climbing, then rolling to his right. He kept his head up, allowing him to make the next crucial read.

https://cdn.theathletic.com/app/uploads/2019/09/19092926/Sam-Ehlinger-rolls-out-finds-Collin-Johnson-vs-LSU-ESPN.mp4?_=4

As Ehlinger rolled out, Collin Johnson, who appeared to run a post route, turned and stemmed back toward the sideline. Johnson had occupied the deep safety defending over the top of him, then beat him to a vacated spot near the sideline. Ehlinger delivered a good ball on the run, completing the pass and preserving the drive with a 19-yard completion.

Despite the loss, Ehlinger finished strong against LSU after a slow start. He completed 31-of-47 passes for a career-high 401 yards and four touchdowns. He also connected with eight targets, coping with the fact the Tigers doubled Collin Johnson, his top target, for much of the contest.

“To be honest with you … Sunday after (the LSU) game, we were like, ‘Sam probably wasn’t his best this game,’” Herman said. “You look up, he’s got 400 yards of total offense and five touchdowns, and you’re talking about that not being his best game.

“So we have high expectations of him. He has that of himself, but the thing that stands out the most is just his management of the game.”

While Rice doesn’t boast the elite talent that UT does, last week it did pose a potentially tricky matchup for the offense because of its multiple-look defense. The following play is a good representation of Ehlinger’s being prepared for it.

Early in the first quarter, the Longhorns faced third-and-8 from their own 41. They lined up in an empty formation. Rice lined up with five defenders across the line of scrimmage. On the far side of the field, where UT had Devin Duvernay, Cade Brewer and John Burt positioned, the Owls had only two defenders set up within five yards of the line of scrimmage. Two deep safeties were positioned 10 yards off the line of scrimmage, with one positioned over the top of Brewer.

https://cdn.theathletic.com/app/uploads/2019/09/19100427/Sam-Ehlinger-hot-read-vs-Rice-CBS.mp4?_=5

Well before the ball was snapped, Ehlinger barked out instructions to the trio. A split second before Ehlinger got the snap, one of the Rice linebackers initially positioned along the line of scrimmage sprinted out into zone coverage. Meanwhile, the defensive back positioned over the top of Duvernay, standing nearest to the offensive line, blitzed Ehlinger.

Ehlinger made the read. It seemed predetermined. Even as an Owls defender breached the line of scrimmage, getting in Ehlinger’s face, he released the ball quickly enough to fit the ball in to Duvernay. The throw beat the Rice linebacker dropping into coverage and the safety dropping down from his deep depth. Duvernay carried the hit and fell forward, gaining a first down.

The final play we’ll break down is the lone first down Ehlinger has achieved using his legs on a third-and-long play. The Longhorns faced third-and-8 from their 23 in the middle of the second quarter.

https://cdn.theathletic.com/app/uploads/2019/09/19093612/Sam-Ehlinger-first-down-run-vs-Rice-CBS-Sports1.mp4?_=6

UT lined up in an empty formation with an 11 personnel grouping, with one running back and one tight end. The Longhorns end up running their four-verticals concept play with their running back — this time, Keaontay Ingram — executing a shallow crossing route underneath. Rice countered with a 4-2-5 package, with safeties appearing to drop into a Cover 1 robber shell, in which one safety defends in single-high coverage while the other guards a zone closer to the line of scrimmage. The Rice cornerback on the field side drops into man coverage on the outside, while the other appears to have a deep third responsibility.

https://cdn.theathletic.com/app/uploads/2019/09/19093758/Sam-Ehlinger-hot-read-vs-Rice-field-angle-CBS-Sports-Network1.mp4?_=7

Rice blitzed a cornerback, overloading the right side of the Longhorns’ offensive line. UT right tackle Derek Kerstetter did a great job maintaining his block on the Owls’ edge defender while simultaneously preventing the blitzing corner from reaching Ehlinger. Left tackle Samuel Cosmi and left guard Parker Braun cleared out the left side of the line, and with the linebacker occupied by Ingram’s route, created a pathway for Ehlinger to run through the middle of the field for the first down.

Herman would prefer that his offensive unit not find itself in third-and-long situations altogether, but it certainly helps to have a player as dynamic as Ehlinger managing them.

“His third year in the same system has really, really helped his confidence level and comfortability back there,” Herman said. “He trusts his receivers, he trusts his O-line. And then he moves well enough to where if they cover everybody, then he can take off and get you the first down with his feet.

“Not just on third-and-long, but the entire game. He sees the game as good as (anyone) I’ve been around.”

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Hide contents

AUSTIN, Texas — As Texas opens Big 12 competition Saturday, a two-play sequence that took place in Week 2 against LSU perhaps best epitomizes the strides quarterback Sam Ehlinger has made as a complete signal-caller. It includes what Ehlinger believes is a first for him and is just one example of how he has thrived on third down this season.

Early in the second quarter, the junior QB sailed a deep pass over the head of receiver Brennan Eagles, who was closely covered by Tigers defenders. The incomplete pass forced UT into third-and-10 from its own 45.

Ehlinger wanted to push the pace, going into hurry-up as he barked out the next play.

“That was something that we were doing,” he said. “We knew on third down they like to sub in different packages, and we were doing that to prevent them from getting their packages on the field and disturbing that, because when they get in the perfect call, perfect situation, they’re so athletic, it’s hard to stop it.”

Ehlinger got what he was looking for.

The Longhorns kept their same personnel grouping in, hustling back to the line of scrimmage. LSU attempted to substitute nose tackle Tyler Shelvin. As the change took place, Tigers linebacker Michael Divinity Jr. slid down and lined up along the edge, replacing him on LSU’s defensive front. Safety JaCoby Stevens, who had guarded tight end Cade Brewer in the flat on the previous play, lined up in a linebacker depth.

But no one filled Stevens’ vacated deeper spot, leaving Grant Delpit as the lone safety over the top. Brewer lined up uncovered in a wide split next to Eagles.

About 15 seconds after Ehlinger’s previous pass had fallen incomplete, the Longhorns snapped the ball. They caught LSU with only 10 defenders on the field and dialed up a four-verticals play.

As Delpit raced down from his deep depth to guard Brewer, Eagles and cornerback Kristian Fulton were left one-on-one down the deep right side.

“We talk about it all the time,” UT head coach Tom Herman said later. “One-on-one is not covered. With timing and ball placement from the quarterback, we should be able to complete balls versus one-on-one. And I think (Ehlinger’s) bought into that.”

Ehlinger, under duress from Tigers star pass rusher K’Lavon Chaisson, fired a pass toward Eagles. Fulton mistimed his jump, allowing Eagles to make an acrobatic, leaping grab. He kept his balance, and with Delpit behind the play, he walked into the end zone.

https://cdn.theathletic.com/app/uploads/2019/09/18171123/Sam-Ehlinger-catches-LSU-with-10-players-on-the-field-for-TD-pass-to-Brennan-Eagles-ESPN.mp4?_=1

Ehlinger has taken advantage of defenses scrambling in the midst of substitutions before, but this was the only time he could remember stranding an opponent in this kind of fashion. Despite the feat — one that great quarterbacks are praised for being able to pull off — he was nonchalant about it.

“We were trying to catch them in a switch, which we did,” offensive coordinator Tim Beck said. “And Sam took advantage of it.”

If you ask coaches who have schemed against Ehlinger and players who have faced him, many say he is an underrated passer. Of course, he offers UT’s offense an additional dimension with his running ability, but his arm is what has catapulted him into the discussion of the top quarterbacks in college football.

“It’s interesting how (Ehlinger) doesn’t get credit for being the thrower that I think he is and proven he’s been over the past few years,” said Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy, ahead of this week’s matchup. “He works with some really good talent on the edge, guys that have a lot of length and height and can go and get the football.”

Ehlinger made big strides as a passer last season, his first as the Longhorns’ unchallenged No. 1 quarterback and his second year running Beck and Herman’s offensive scheme. Last year, he completed 64.7 percent of his passes for 3,292 yards, 25 touchdowns and five interceptions through 14 games. According to Pro Football Focus, he posted a clean-pocket passer rating of 113.5, registered 22 “big-time throws” and threw only seven turnover-worthy passes, which ranked 12th-best among 76 returning FBS passers.

Three games into his junior season, Ehlinger continues to elevate his play. He entered Week 4 with 956 total pass yards, which ranks eighth nationally. He’s one of two in the top 10 of the category who have yet to throw an interception. Alabama’s Tua Tagovailoa is the other.

According to Sports Info Solutions, Ehlinger is 9-of-22 for 297 yards, four touchdowns and zero interceptions on passes thrown 20 or more yards downfield. Only four players have had more attempts thrown with 20 air yards or more, and only five have more completions. His clean-pocket passer rating of 141.1 ranks seventh nationally (minimum 50 dropbacks), per PFF.

Herman attributes Ehlinger’s development to his experience in the offense. Ehlinger has direct input in the game plan, filtering out plays he likes and dislikes ahead of games. During games, he’s granted autonomy, allowing him to shake off and audible into plays.

“Completion percentages are great and all that stuff,” Herman said. “But knowing where to go, getting us out of bad plays and into better ones and being on time with his throws, it’s a testament to him.”

The Longhorns lean on Ehlinger, not only for leadership but also, and especially, in high-pressure moments. His reliability is perhaps best demonstrated by his numbers in third-and-long situations. UT entered Week 4 ninth in the nation in third-down percentage (56.8). The Longhorns are one of four teams ranked in the top 10 of the category that have faced 44 third downs or more.

Ehlinger’s numbers when facing third-and-7 or longer have been eye-catching. He’s completed 10-of-10 passes for 158 yards. Nine of those completions have resulted in first downs, including two touchdowns. He’s also carried four times for 16 yards. He’s been sacked once and has gained one first down in such situations.

This season, third-and-long scenarios have illustrated Ehlinger’s full comprehension of not only the playbook but also what opponents are rolling out against him. The aforementioned sequence against LSU where Ehlinger took advantage of the Tigers’ defense being a man down was just one example of several.

Late in the third quarter against LSU, UT faced third-and-10 from the LSU 20 while trailing 23-14. The Longhorns lined up in an empty formation featuring one running back and one tight end, then executed a four-vertical concept play, with running back Roschon Johnson running a shallow crossing route. LSU countered with a 4-2-5 formation including two safeties playing in a Cover 2 shell, where each safety is responsible for guarding a deep half of the field. This is the key to understanding where Ehlinger determined to throw.

https://cdn.theathletic.com/app/uploads/2019/09/18171416/Texas-vs-LSU-ESPN-Jake-Smith-TD.mp4?_=2

Before the snap, Ehlinger identified that LSU was in zone coverage. Safety Todd Harris would have a deep half responsibility on the near side of the field. Receivers Jake Smith and Collin Johnson, positioned closer to the sideline, each ran vertical routes, forcing Harris to provide help coverage for one or the other. As Smith rounded his route and broke up the seam, he was able to shield himself from Harris as he closed in.

It was as tight a window as imaginable, but Ehlinger was given time thanks to his offensive line, which fended off the Tigers’ four-man rush. Smith and Ehlinger had appeared to be working out timing issues on previous targets earlier in the contest, but they managed to connect here on a phenomenal throw from Ehlinger.

The next example of Ehlinger’s third-down prowess highlights the use of his legs and his chemistry with a veteran target in Johnson.

With less than nine minutes left in the fourth quarter, the Longhorns trailed LSU 37-28. They had the ball on their own 25 and faced third-and-10. UT lined up with three receivers on one side and with Johnson as the lone wideout on the other. LSU again lined up in a 4-2-5 look, and when the ball was snapped, the two safeties drop into a Cover 2 shell, with defenders in zone coverages underneath.

https://cdn.theathletic.com/app/uploads/2019/09/18171528/Sam-Ehlinger-rolls-out-finds-Collin-Johnson-vs-LSU-TV-angle-ESPN.mp4?_=3

Roschon Johnson, lined up next to Ehlinger in the backfield before the snap, appeared to run an option route. It occupied the cornerback on the near side, who had responsibility for the flat. As the pocket broke down, Ehlinger evaded pressure by climbing, then rolling to his right. He kept his head up, allowing him to make the next crucial read.

https://cdn.theathletic.com/app/uploads/2019/09/19092926/Sam-Ehlinger-rolls-out-finds-Collin-Johnson-vs-LSU-ESPN.mp4?_=4

As Ehlinger rolled out, Collin Johnson, who appeared to run a post route, turned and stemmed back toward the sideline. Johnson had occupied the deep safety defending over the top of him, then beat him to a vacated spot near the sideline. Ehlinger delivered a good ball on the run, completing the pass and preserving the drive with a 19-yard completion.

Despite the loss, Ehlinger finished strong against LSU after a slow start. He completed 31-of-47 passes for a career-high 401 yards and four touchdowns. He also connected with eight targets, coping with the fact the Tigers doubled Collin Johnson, his top target, for much of the contest.

“To be honest with you … Sunday after (the LSU) game, we were like, ‘Sam probably wasn’t his best this game,’” Herman said. “You look up, he’s got 400 yards of total offense and five touchdowns, and you’re talking about that not being his best game.

“So we have high expectations of him. He has that of himself, but the thing that stands out the most is just his management of the game.”

While Rice doesn’t boast the elite talent that UT does, last week it did pose a potentially tricky matchup for the offense because of its multiple-look defense. The following play is a good representation of Ehlinger’s being prepared for it.

Early in the first quarter, the Longhorns faced third-and-8 from their own 41. They lined up in an empty formation. Rice lined up with five defenders across the line of scrimmage. On the far side of the field, where UT had Devin Duvernay, Cade Brewer and John Burt positioned, the Owls had only two defenders set up within five yards of the line of scrimmage. Two deep safeties were positioned 10 yards off the line of scrimmage, with one positioned over the top of Brewer.

https://cdn.theathletic.com/app/uploads/2019/09/19100427/Sam-Ehlinger-hot-read-vs-Rice-CBS.mp4?_=5

Well before the ball was snapped, Ehlinger barked out instructions to the trio. A split second before Ehlinger got the snap, one of the Rice linebackers initially positioned along the line of scrimmage sprinted out into zone coverage. Meanwhile, the defensive back positioned over the top of Duvernay, standing nearest to the offensive line, blitzed Ehlinger.

Ehlinger made the read. It seemed predetermined. Even as an Owls defender breached the line of scrimmage, getting in Ehlinger’s face, he released the ball quickly enough to fit the ball in to Duvernay. The throw beat the Rice linebacker dropping into coverage and the safety dropping down from his deep depth. Duvernay carried the hit and fell forward, gaining a first down.

The final play we’ll break down is the lone first down Ehlinger has achieved using his legs on a third-and-long play. The Longhorns faced third-and-8 from their 23 in the middle of the second quarter.

https://cdn.theathletic.com/app/uploads/2019/09/19093612/Sam-Ehlinger-first-down-run-vs-Rice-CBS-Sports1.mp4?_=6

UT lined up in an empty formation with an 11 personnel grouping, with one running back and one tight end. The Longhorns end up running their four-verticals concept play with their running back — this time, Keaontay Ingram — executing a shallow crossing route underneath. Rice countered with a 4-2-5 package, with safeties appearing to drop into a Cover 1 robber shell, in which one safety defends in single-high coverage while the other guards a zone closer to the line of scrimmage. The Rice cornerback on the field side drops into man coverage on the outside, while the other appears to have a deep third responsibility.

https://cdn.theathletic.com/app/uploads/2019/09/19093758/Sam-Ehlinger-hot-read-vs-Rice-field-angle-CBS-Sports-Network1.mp4?_=7

Rice blitzed a cornerback, overloading the right side of the Longhorns’ offensive line. UT right tackle Derek Kerstetter did a great job maintaining his block on the Owls’ edge defender while simultaneously preventing the blitzing corner from reaching Ehlinger. Left tackle Samuel Cosmi and left guard Parker Braun cleared out the left side of the line, and with the linebacker occupied by Ingram’s route, created a pathway for Ehlinger to run through the middle of the field for the first down.

Herman would prefer that his offensive unit not find itself in third-and-long situations altogether, but it certainly helps to have a player as dynamic as Ehlinger managing them.

“His third year in the same system has really, really helped his confidence level and comfortability back there,” Herman said. “He trusts his receivers, he trusts his O-line. And then he moves well enough to where if they cover everybody, then he can take off and get you the first down with his feet.

“Not just on third-and-long, but the entire game. He sees the game as good as (anyone) I’ve been around.”

Thanks G

19 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

Of all the dumb shit comments in this thread, this is the crown jewel.

Grave digger.

in all seriousness, it was hard to believe there was much upside to Sam after last year’s Maryland game. That last, game-sealing interception he threw destroyed any hope for improvement in his decision making after a rough freshman year. I think his path to redemption really began during the TCU game and was well established during the RRS. He proved a lot of people wrong over the course of those 5 games.

• Like 1

I’ve always said if Sam had Shane’s deep ball accuracy we would win a natty in his time here.   He looked much better in the Rice game with that, I hope that translates to this week too.  That’s been the only part of his game that’s been lacking. 

Edited by Hook1997
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, The Earl of Texas said:

Of all the dumb shit comments in this thread, this is the crown jewel.

Why do we keep doing this?

Very few people had any faith in Sam after Maryland last year. All of us who were wrong are more than happy that we were wrong. Most of us have given our mea culpas. 

I was just saying Sam needs to take over this game and end it. Two running plays up the gut had me nervous, then he ended it. Great game for Sam!

Him and Shane both deserve a hip hip horray

Also, dude owes his O line and Dev a brew

Edited by Zavala

15 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

There were more than a few people who still had faith. And the most egregious of critics here hasn’t mea culpa’d. That's why we’re doing this. 

To be clear, Dr. Beeper is talking about closetojumping. CTJ is smart, incredibly football-savvy, and connected to this program in ways that 99.9% of us are not. However, he was 100% dead-ass fucking wrong about Sam, and he hasn't said shit about it.

1 minute ago, capnamerca said:

To be clear, Dr. Beeper is talking about closetojumping. CTJ is smart, incredibly football-savvy, and connected to this program in ways that 99.9% of us are not. However, he was 100% dead-ass fucking wrong about Sam, and he hasn't said shit about it.

I believe he has, over a year ago. I was also dead wrong about Sam. And I admitted as much over a year ago. Most folks were and have fessed up. 

Who gives a flying fuck is he hasn’t apologized or owned up to it? It’s the internet. Get out of your feelings.
  • Like 1