Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

3 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Hurt his ribs earlier in the season and I'm guessing he broke some. He wasn't his usual self last week or today. He's playing  hurt and it's affecting his throwing. 

Maybe give him the week off versus Kansas? If we can’t beat Kansas without Sam, we are garbage. 

We were often going with 3 man routes and OU was still getting to the QB.  We also didn't have too many guys getting open in man other than Collin.  DD didn't do much in the game and we needed him to work the middle.   It was a frustrating performance by the offense as they were absolutely out schemed today.  Even his outlets were often covered up well and this is where Ingram and Roschon do not excel in pass pro and leaking out.  Almost want to see if Kirk Johnson can help in the passing game.  He has a gear no other back does.  Sam's still a little slow in his tertiary reads but this game wasn't on him.  They were also spying him frequently and our interior OL can't seem to understand how to block up a simple twist up front.  Outcoached and outexecuted today.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

This was easily the worst game he’s played. Like ever in his life. He was total fucking dogshit. And I love the guy. But today was a steaming turd.

Seems he's over-coached to stay in the pocket.  There were several sacks that he held the ball too long and seemed he could have taken off running a few times and gotten some yardage.  Murray Jr. goes for the head shot every time, and a few times getting run over by Sam would have slowed that fucker down a bit. 

• Like 1

Who is going to explain to Sam and the WR’s how a two minute drill works? They never seem to show urgency and will take runs and short passes in bounds short of the first down. They make up for it by being lackadaisical getting back to the line of scrimmage while the clock is running. 

• Like 1

We were often going with 3 man routes and OU was still getting to the QB.  We also didn't have too many guys getting open in man other than Collin.  DD didn't do much in the game and we needed him to work the middle.   It was a frustrating performance by the offense as they were absolutely out schemed today.  Even his outlets were often covered up well and this is where Ingram and Roschon do not excel in pass pro and leaking out.  Almost want to see if Kirk Johnson can help in the passing game.  He has a gear no other back does.  Sam's still a little slow in his tertiary reads but this game wasn't on him.  They were also spying him frequently and our interior OL can't seem to understand how to block up a simple twist up front.  Outcoached and outexecuted today.

This. It was like ou had an extra player on both sides of the ball. Our OL seemingly identified the wrong protection on almost every play. And there were at least 4 dimes Sam threw for long gains that were flat dropped, talking 20+ yd potential.

18 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

I appreciate Sam but how in the hell can he still not lead a receiver who is open downfield in his third year at QB?

How many times are we going to have to watch him underthrow a receiver who has two steps on his man? 

Its maddening. This happens several times a game.

He also threw a bunch of dimes to our guys while they were being mugged which resulted in drops.

• Like 2

Sam’s decision making regressed starting last week when he threw the deep ball into triple coverage for interception and yesterday getting the stupid grounding penalty tossing the ball just as he ran out of bounds at the last moment.   The offensive line just got whipped and without a reliable running game to keep OU defense honest, they just ate his lunch.  DBU needs to learn tackling and RoJo should start at RB.  The final score is fool’s gold for those that want think this game was close.  Texas got their asses whipped.

• Like 2

On 10/13/2019 at 9:11 AM, RollLeft said:

Sam's the man.  Imo he had a bad day Saturday.  Worst game of his career imo.

Definitely a poor blOU game for Sam.

Needs to do a better job reading the defense and getting rid of football.  Check down throws are better than taking sacks.

Teams are going to continue taking Duvernay away and spying QB... Sam and the offense have to adapt and overcome it.  Offense had poor games against WVU and blOU.... Time for HERMAN to get this shit fixed!!

Edited by LTtxfan

Considering terrible play calling and poor pass protection, I thought he wasn't terrible either.  Clearly his worst game since Maryland last year, but not as bad as some made it out to be.  

Cosigned, not to mention some backbreaking drops and constantly being hamstrung by awful field position. Sam was by no means flawless but he was given nothing to work with. If that's the worst game he plays this year, Texas wins out.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

On 10/12/2019 at 6:28 PM, Mo Horn said:

Hurt his ribs earlier in the season and I'm guessing he broke some. He wasn't his usual self last week or today. He's playing  hurt and it's affecting his throwing. 

He looks completely different. His touch and anticipation is completely off relative to earlier in the year. I feel like an injury is the only explanation. He has looked like freshman Sam the past two weeks.

Sam is definitely injured. Coaches talked about ribs during bye week, and it sounded like he basically didn't practice the first bye, and not much during the week's leadup to WVU. Didn't look all that great in Morgantown. Don't think we heard much about him at all the week before State Fair.

Dunno how many of y'all have experience with broken/stove-in ribs, but I've had a few rounds, and not only do they make it tough to throw worth a bucket of warm spit, they have a constant presence... like every time you take a breath. And they plead with you to not let them get hit again and again and again. 

If, in fact, that's what he's dealing with (and I can't think of a whole lot of other explanations), then it's a god damned wonder he's playing at all. The fact that he is, means that either Casey is no fucking good at all, and/or that MensaTom is too fucking proud/stupid and is willing to let Sam try to tough it out.

EDIT: I've not seen the clip of Sam post-game interview where he's allegedly saying something about excessive complexity. Sounds like he was talking about the D, but... Fuck's sake, the D looked like shit, but so did the O - actually, the O looked worse than D. We can bitch and moan all we want about wide-open receivers, no QB pressure, and missed tackles, but the D did actually hold 0U to three fucking TDs under their average. Miz Long asked before kickoff if I thought we could win. I said it was possible, but not likely. When 0U stuffed it down our throats and scored right outta the gate, it was deja vu all over again. When we followed that with a totally anemic three-and-out, losing twelve yards in the process, I figured we were about to get slaughtered. The only decent part of the story is that, wihle we lost the first few minutes, 7-0, we played even-phteven, 27-27, for the next 55 or so. Coulda been worse, but we coulda won with a decent O game-plan. Who planned that shit? Who called the plays?

• Like 2

On 10/18/2019 at 11:00 AM, Tex Long said:

Sam is definitely injured. Coaches talked about ribs during bye week, and it sounded like he basically didn't practice the first bye, and not much during the week's leadup to WVU. Didn't look all that great in Morgantown. Don't think we heard much about him at all the week before State Fair.

Dunno how many of y'all have experience with broken/stove-in ribs, but I've had a few rounds, and not only do they make it tough to throw worth a bucket of warm spit, they have a constant presence... like every time you take a breath. And they plead with you to not let them get hit again and again and again. 

If, in fact, that's what he's dealing with (and I can't think of a whole lot of other explanations), then it's a god damned wonder he's playing at all. The fact that he is, means that either Casey is no fucking good at all, and/or that MensaTom is too fucking proud/stupid and is willing to let Sam try to tough it out.

EDIT: I've not seen the clip of Sam post-game interview where he's allegedly saying something about excessive complexity. Sounds like he was talking about the D, but... Fuck's sake, the D looked like shit, but so did the O - actually, the O looked worse than D. We can bitch and moan all we want about wide-open receivers, no QB pressure, and missed tackles, but the D did actually hold 0U to three fucking TDs under their average. Miz Long asked before kickoff if I thought we could win. I said it was possible, but not likely. When 0U stuffed it down our throats and scored right outta the gate, it was deja vu all over again. When we followed that with a totally anemic three-and-out, losing twelve yards in the process, I figured we were about to get slaughtered. The only decent part of the story is that, wihle we lost the first few minutes, 7-0, we played even-phteven, 27-27, for the next 55 or so. Coulda been worse, but we coulda won with a decent O game-plan. Who planned that shit? Who called the plays?

Yep.

Also, Casey doesn't suck, he just looks like he hasn't developed into a really good passer yet - only a wildcat. Basically he's Jerrod Heard.