Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

He had a shitty day.  No doubt.  I can guarantee you that Sam was told all offseason don't run unless you have to.  The threat of his legs was his best weapon.  Our lack of a back up resulted in him being neutered.   Let's put blame where it rests.  On our coaching staff.  Not saying he played great, but I think he's normally a large component of us winning.

• Like 4

You guys are idiots. He’s our best QB since 2009, he’s a gamer, leader and tough as hell. He had a bad game. He has to carry 21 other guys on his back every game this year, and he was the only reason we beat Kansas.

hopefully we salvage a decent bowl, fire Orlando and Beck, and kill everyone next year.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Sam is not bad. But he HAS to run to bet his best. Yes he can sit back sometimes, but he needs to create a running threat to keep more in the box. Opposing teams rushing 3 have to be punished with a run, even with a spy. 

But his deep ball is not great. Watch Burrow and see how he can hit people in stride. Sam underthrows ALL game. Duvermay is not slow and that play where he has to wait on the pass only to be broken up is typical. If Sam could throw him in stride, he scored every r. He did it once today. It’s open all the time 

14 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Sam is not bad. But he HAS to run to bet his best. Yes he can sit back sometimes, but he needs to create a running threat to keep more in the box. Opposing teams rushing 3 have to be punished with a run, even with a spy. 

But his deep ball is not great. Watch Burrow and see how he can hit people in stride. Sam underthrows ALL game. Duvermay is not slow and that play where he has to wait on the pass only to be broken up is typical. If Sam could throw him in stride, he scored every r. He did it once today. It’s open all the time 

Pretty sure Herman told him not to run in case of him getting hurt.

His interview after game surprised me. Sam did not seem to take personal responsibility for his poor performance.  But Sam had no problem saying "The Team" could go one of two ways after the loss-- come together or not.  

Starting to wonder how close this group of current players on the team really are??

His interview after game surprised me. Sam did not seem to take personal responsibility for his poor performance.  But Sam had no problem saying "The Team" could go one of two ways after the loss-- come together or not.  
Starting to wonder how close this group of current players on the team really are??
Meh, if anyone is a team player, it's him. No need to pick nits here.
  • Like 3

But his deep ball is not great. Watch Burrow and see how he can hit people in stride. Sam underthrows ALL game.

His deep ball is terrible. Not just today but for a long time. Maybe it worked when LJH and CJ were opposite each other because one of them could be one on one and grab the ball, but now he is simply throwing prayers into double coverage, or underthrowing receivers who would otherwise beat their coverage. It’s frustrating to have Duvernay and Johnson but we can rarely execute a deep pass.
  • Like 1

Just wanted to take a moment to once again tell you to go fuck yourself moron.
In conclusion, post less.

Hah. Apologized already and owned it. I'll eat crow again I guess.

Sam played terribly yesterday. His worst game in a long while. He bears as much blame for that loss as any individual player can. It was difficult to watch and when Texas needed him most he failed, effectively taking any hope for this season down with him.

Silver lining, you get to come back and gloat about being right even after I'd already admitted being the wrong and apologized, which clearly means a lot to you. So congrats on that!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, jinx said:

He has right next to zero run game support.  Not sure if that is coaching, scheme, players or all three.  I will go with all three. 

He would be much better if we had any semblance of a run game

we actually ran the ball well in the first half and then abandoned it and didn't even bother trying any contraint plays/misdirection. abysmal coaching. we lost the game when we  got the turnover and missed the chip shot FG and when we got to the 6 and decided not to pound the ball into the EZ and had to kick the FG.

if Tom doesn't have Thompson ready to go then he's definitely not the QB coach I thought he was or thompson isn't the guy. he's been in the program long enough. He needs to tell Sam to run as soon as it is there.  our receivers(other than DD) aren't the type to "get open" after the route is over.

On 10/26/2019 at 9:25 PM, deft said:

Remember at the beginning of the season when it was en vogue to call out posters from the beginning of the thread who talked about him sucking.....time is a flat circle man. 

goo punch remembers. i got yelled at a few months ago and told i was derka'ing the thread *literally* because i said that Sam wasn't about to pass VY in Longhorn football lore. that shit seriously happened, and not that long ago. but i guess now it's ok to call off the "better than Vince Young" party?

19 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

goo punch remembers. i got yelled at a few months ago and told i was derka'ing the thread *literally* because i said that Sam wasn't about to pass VY in Longhorn football lore. that shit seriously happened, and not that long ago. but i guess now it's ok to call off the "better than Vince Young" party?

You remind me of my cousin who seeks out fringe arguments to make it seem like his unoriginal and uncontroversial opinions have some insight. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

You remind me of my cousin who seeks out fringe arguments to make it seem like his unoriginal and uncontroversial opinions have some insight. 

lol ok. i was responding to to someone who said that Sam was on the verge of passing VY, but yeah, I totally sought that one out. 

• Haha 1

Maybe he needs to take pointers from Lincoln Riley. Bc every year on here it's how trash one of the qbs are. Baker couldn't start at tech, kyler couldn't play for sucky ass aggie, jalen cant throw. Well holy shit, what does that say about their piece of shit qb/offensive/head coach. On a day they lose and we can be happy, Sam goes full retard.

• Fuck You 1

On 10/26/2019 at 6:42 PM, NoRagrets said:

You guys are idiots. He’s our best QB since 2009, he’s a gamer, leader and tough as hell. He had a bad game. He has to carry 21 other guys on his back every game this year, and he was the only reason we beat Kansas.

hopefully we salvage a decent bowl, fire Orlando and Beck, and kill everyone next year.

Yeah, I like Sam, too, but you're basically just whistling past the graveyard. 

All the things you mentioned is hype, even if it is true. 

Look at what's happening now. Maybe it's due to injury, but as others have mentioned, too many of his passes miss the mark. A little behind, a little too far ahead, not enough to the sideline. It's not working.

IMHO, the problem with the offense rest almost entirely on scheme and play calling. Other coordinators seem to find much better ways of scheming their players into winnable match ups. Where as our scheme says, “ if player x is facing 1 on 1, throw the go route.” The other issue is with Sam and his lack of accuracy. He, more often than not, has trouble throwing our receivers open. Balls are constantly under thrown or behind the receiver. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

IMHO, the problem with the offense rest almost entirely on scheme and play calling. Other coordinators seem to find much better ways of scheming their players into winnable match ups. Where as our scheme says, “ if player x is facing 1 on 1, throw the go route.” The other issue is with Sam and his lack of accuracy. He, more often than not, has trouble throwing our receivers open. Balls are constantly under thrown or behind the receiver. 

I think teams have also figured out we can't handle press coverage. It blows up our bread and butter of inside zone with a swing pass to Duverney The defense can stack more in the box, Sam counts the numbers, and throws the bubble. We can't block the pressed CB to let Dev get going before help arrives, minimal gain or TFL. Last year that was Dev blocking for LJH. We replaced LJH successfully but have not replaced Duverney's blocking and getting off press coverage. 

The decline from replacing slot Duverney with Smith is significantly less than keeping Eagles whoever is out there currently.

Also, we miss Beck more than we realize. And we miss a healthy Colin that forces a double team to the single receiver side. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Use the app to avoid paywall. The last pick is absolutely telling of the scheme. It’s incredibly frustrating to see every team we play get space for their wrs while watching Sam throw to guys with very little space pretty much every attempt. Every receiver on the field that play was sitting with a TCU defender within two yards. Our route tree seems to be go somewhere and sit or run vertical. If it breaks down, roll right and throw to a player sitting on the sideline.