Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

On 1/15/2020 at 10:36 PM, deft said:

Wow that guy is dumb. Really, why is fromm that good?? Also, it’s surprising the number of people who think trask is better than Sam based on just this common opponent alone.

Yeah I can't stand Trask and I'm a Florida fan. Cool story and all but the dude has no pocket presence or mobility. He is pretty accurate but only on the first read, only if it's there. 

EJ has looked sharp and ready to start, he's quick and opens the run game and keeps the pass rush in their lanes.

• 1 month later...

And yet there are people on here who repeatedly call him average.  He breaks the rushing record in the second game, maybe the total TD, but ain't breaking the rest of those, not unless he has a Joe Burrows senior season and breaking in 2 new starting WR. 

Go Sam!! 

Edited by Lhorn

26 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

And yet there are people on here who repeatedly call him average.  He breaks the rushing record in the second game, maybe the total TD, but ain't breaking the rest of those, not unless he has a Joe Burrows senior season and breaking in 2 new starting WR. 

Go Sam!! 

Well, those people are idiots.

He’s the top returning player in the Big 12. He’s been the 6th most valuable player in college football each of the last 2 seasons.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2020 at 10:20 AM, LTtxfan said:

i hate stuff like this. "according to the numbers" he's an "all time great QB at Texas." Yeah for sure! I mean have you seen his passing numbers compared to Bobby Layne and James Street? LEGENDARY. 🙄 

You don't become an all time great at your school by virtue of being born later than previous QBs and playing in an era where teams gaining 500 yards and scoring 50 points happens on a weekly basis. you earn it on the field. Sam has been very good at times, and has led us to some big wins, but he's also been quite poor and erratic at times, and yes that includes the last game he played in when he sailed passes to wide open receivers several times. Sam will have his chance to become an all-time great this season, but to just point at the numbers and call him an all time great is lazy and full of recency bias. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/10/2020 at 9:56 AM, Goo Punch said:

Sam has been very good at times, and has led us to some big wins, but he's also been quite poor and erratic at times, and yes that includes the last game he played in when he sailed passes to wide open receivers several times.

Yeah, he was really terrible against Utah. "Sam Ehlinger, the game’s offensive MVP, threw for three touchdowns and ran for another while taking the best that Utah’s No. 1 ranked defense could deal out."

Surly-Please.jpg

1 hour ago, TreatyOak said:

Yeah, he was really terrible against Utah. "Sam Ehlinger, the game’s offensive MVP, threw for three touchdowns and ran for another while taking the best that Utah’s No. 1 ranked defense could deal out."

Surly-Please.jpg

Ah, posting on the football board. Gotta love it.

Me: Sam had several overthrows to wide open receivers against Utah (which is a fact)

Response: o ya he was fuckin terrible against utah are u fuckin serious bro 

good talk.

Edited by Goo Punch

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Ah, posting on the football board. Gotta love it.

Me: Sam had several overthrows to wide open receivers against Utah (which is a fact)

Response: o ya he was fuckin terrible against utah are u fuckin serious bro 

good talk.

They hadn't played a game in a month, so it's normal to be off in a bowl game but he got it together. Overall, he had a great game and you are nitpicking. I do support you. Just saying.    

7 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

no, i said that he overthrew multiple open WRs that game, which he did. you girls just love to infer shit that isn't there and then get upset about it. 

No dipshit you said he was poor and erratic at times, including his last game. He was 12-18 for 201 yards with a 3:1 ratio. Yes, he was poor and erratic.

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

9 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

no, i said that he overthrew multiple open WRs that game, which he did. you girls just love to infer shit that isn't there and then get upset about it. 

On 3/10/2020 at 9:56 AM, Goo Punch said:

i hate stuff like this. "according to the numbers" he's an "all time great QB at Texas." Yeah for sure! I mean have you seen his passing numbers compared to Bobby Layne and James Street? LEGENDARY. 🙄 

You don't become an all time great at your school by virtue of being born later than previous QBs and playing in an era where teams gaining 500 yards and scoring 50 points happens on a weekly basis. you earn it on the field. Sam has been very good at times, and has led us to some big wins, but he's also been quite poor and erratic at times, and yes that includes the last game he played in when he sailed passes to wide open receivers several times. Sam will have his chance to become an all-time great this season, but to just point at the numbers and call him an all time great is lazy and full of recency bias. 

I happen to agree with your recency bias take, but you claiming bad inference on what you wrote is you choosing to ignore what you wrote.  The "at times" disclaimer does not earn you a pass. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

No dipshit you said he was poor and erratic at times, including his last game. He was 12-18 for 201 yards with a 3:1 ratio. Yes, he was poor and erratic.

he WAS erratic and he DID overthrow several open receivers in that game despite only throwing the ball 18 times. Those are facts. still waiting for the part where i said that he sucked vs Utah. 

god you football fans are such a whiny, thin skinned bunch. always got to find something to be upset about.

Edited by Goo Punch

1 hour ago, idigTexas said:

I happen to agree with your recency bias take, but you claiming bad inference on what you wrote is you choosing to ignore what you wrote.  The "at times" disclaimer does not earn you a pass. 

I still have zero clue what point any of you think you are making. Sam *was* erratic at times nd *did* overthrow several WR's against Utah. Those are explicit facts. Where did that I intimate that he sucked against Utah? Where did I suggest that he had a poor game? I didn't. It never happened. So yes, that's 100% inference on the part of anyone reading what is plainly stated and not open for interpretation.

I mean fuck, that's the entire point for Christ's sake. That even in Sam's most recent game, a 38-10 bowl win in which he played pretty well and Texas dominated, he was *still* erratic at times and he *still* made throwing errors that no "all time great" QB should be making. That's the point. Me pointing out that these things happened does not equal me saying that he sucked or that he had a terrible game. That's 100% inference on your part. 

Edited by Goo Punch

23 hours ago, Drew said:

C'mon Derka, you clearly made it seem like he wasn't good in the Utah game with your post.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is the point of contention. That I "clearly made it seem that he wasn't good in the Utah game." Bullshit. The very reason I chose to reference that game is because a)it was his most recent game and b) it was a big game/win in which he generally played pretty well. That was the point- that even in his good games/big wins he can still have a tendency to be erratic. That's it. End of story. Factual info, shouldn't be controversial. Any idea that i said he wasn't good vs Utah comes from your own mind. 

Edited by Goo Punch

lol, just went and pulled up the game on youtube to check out some of the 1Q. Sam has a totally clean pocket and a wide open Collin Johnson and he sails him. Really poor throw. Like two minutes later, same drive, he has another totally clean pocket and another *wide open* WR and he completely sails him. This is followed by Louis Riddick commenting on how Sam has open WRs but he keeps sailing them, and then he mentions that the he Sam were talking the night before about how Sam needed to be more accurate, to have a better base, better footwork. better mechanics, and that it was something he was working on improving. 

but please, continue telling me how mentioning all of this = "hurr durr, derka said Sam was terrible vs Utah." fuck outta here.

Edited by Goo Punch

5 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

I would just like to point out that our all time great quarterbacks like Young and McCoy made plenty of bad and erratic throws. You become a great QB by overcoming those errors.

and i said as much in the post in question. funny how i make that post, it gets nothing but pos rep, then like a week or two later someone comes in, warps what i said entirely, insists that their own inference and what i actually said are the same thing (they aren't), and now suddenly said post is the topic of much controversy. only on the football board. a fucking bastion of disfunction.

Edited by Goo Punch

and i said as much in the post in question. funny how i make that post, it gets nothing but pos rep, then like a week or two later someone comes in, warps what i said entirely, insists that their own inference and what i actually said are the same thing (they aren't), and now suddenly said post is the topic of much controversy. only on the football board. a fucking bastion of disfunction.

I believe Sam is a very good Big 12 QB, maybe not great, but given what Texas Football has gone through during his time here, I am willing to cut him some slack. He has the heart of a champion but lacks the type of moxie that Joe Burrow showed last year or Vince Young in his final year. When he tries to do too much, he ends up making mental mistakes. Vince on the other hand thrived when the pressure was almost unbearable even for the fans. You don't get Vince Young or Joe Burrow too often, so we have to make do with a good QB like Sam.

I believe Sam is a very good Big 12 QB, maybe not great, but given what Texas Football has gone through during his time here, I am willing to cut him some slack. He has the heart of a champion but lacks the type of moxie that Joe Burrow showed last year or Vince Young in his final year. When he tries to do too much, he ends up making mental mistakes. Vince on the other hand thrived when the pressure was almost unbearable even for the fans. You don't get Vince Young or Joe Burrow too often, so we have to make do with a good QB like Sam.

Sam has intangibles and moxie. He lacks tangibles that Burrow and Vince had. He also lacks good coaching and offensive talent around him that Burrow and Vince had (or just okay coaching in greg davis’ case). Imagine if Sam had David Fuckin’ Thomas as a security blanket in addition to Duvernay.

To put David Thomas’ value in perspective, you have a guy that could block, mismatch a linebacker and bust zone coverages. You put 8 in coverage in a junk defense, Thomas snuggles into a zone at the perfect time, and opens up a lane for Sam to pick up a first down with his legs. Thomas could run great routes and hold on to balls in tight quarters.

6 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Sam has intangibles and moxie. He lacks tangibles that Burrow and Vince had. He also lacks good coaching and offensive talent around him that Burrow and Vince had (or just okay coaching in greg davis’ case). Imagine if Sam had David Fuckin’ Thomas as a security blanket in addition to Duvernay.

To put David Thomas’ value in perspective, you have a guy that could block, mismatch a linebacker and bust zone coverages. You put 8 in coverage in a junk defense, Thomas snuggles into a zone at the perfect time, and opens up a lane for Sam to pick up a first down with his legs. Thomas could run great routes and hold on to balls in tight quarters.

I am willing to give Sam his due but let's not compare him to Joe Burrow or Vince Young. Those two were generational players --Joe as a passer and Vince as a runner. Sam has little of both but not the type of moxie those two had. Anyone who debates this is a Sam homer IMO.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Punch, sometimes ya gotta admit you were wrong. 

yeah, you're talking to the first guy to line up and eat crow when he was wrong about Sam Ehlinger. I have zero problems admitting when I'm wrong. Hell Im better at it than most here. but not only am i not wrong here, i've proven that irrefutably. i've backed it up with video evidence. i said that Sam is still poor and erratic at times, including against Utah when he was overthrowing wide receivers. that's what i said, and i've backed it up with proof.

you guys can continue to insist, "nuh uh, you said he sucked against Utah!!!" all you want, but a)it's petty as hell and 100% arguing for argument sake, and b)it's factually wrong. feel free to admit it whenever you feel like taking your own advice. 

Edited by Goo Punch

1 hour ago, TreatyOak said:

@Goo Punch, by your logic, Keaontay Ingram had an erratic game because he only ran for one 50 yard touchdown. 

no, by my logic Sam Ehlinger was poor and erratic when he was making terrible overthrows to wide open wide receivers against Utah. There were also plenty of times during that game when he was awesome and on point. That dime to Duvernay in the corner of the end zone? perfect throw. great play. One of several rally good plays made by Sam in what was certainly a good game overall for him. 

Now then- I never said he was shitty against Utah; I never even insinuated as much. When commenting on Sam and his status as a potentially "all time great QB" at Texas, I praised him for the good that he's done, however i also pointed out that he can still be poor and erratic at times, and that he will have his chance to improve upon that next season in his quest to become an all time great. end of story. 

Edited by Goo Punch

3 hours ago, ShowMeALoss said:

I am willing to give Sam his due but let's not compare him to Joe Burrow or Vince Young. Those two were generational players --Joe as a passer and Vince as a runner. Sam has little of both but not the type of moxie those two had. Anyone who debates this is a Sam homer IMO.

i'm not sure Joe was a "generational" player.  he had one fantastic year with tremendous OCs.

i don't visit LSU boards but curious if they see him as a generational player the way we do with Vince.

Edited by Hmmm
  • Like 1

Now then- I never said he was shitty against Utah; I never even insinuated as much. When commenting on Sam and his status as a potentially "all time great QB" at Texas, I praised him for the good that he's done, however i also pointed out that he can still be poor and erratic at times, and that he will have his chance to improve upon that next season in his quest to become an all time great. end of story. 

Well, as a Westlake homer who has followed Sam since 7th grade, I freely admit to being less than objective. While  I'm not putting Sam in Colt or Vince territory, he's the best thing we've had since '09 and it's not even close. You did own up to eating crow after his OU win, (after a fairly impressive meltdown even by your standards) and we've been good since then.

Sam is ready for greatness. Get on board.

FUNKO-SAM.jpg

• Like 4

Moxie means force of character, determination, or nerve. Sam has that in spades. He doesn’t possess elite arm talent or speed, and if he had that, an equivalent supporting cast and coaching, he’d be an all-timer. He’s not and I’m not arguing he is.

You know who lacks moxie is Justin Herbert. But the dude can sling it and is a good athlete.

21 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Moxie means force of character, determination, or nerve. Sam has that in spades. He doesn’t possess elite arm talent or speed, and if he had that, an equivalent supporting cast and coaching, he’d be an all-timer. He’s not and I’m not arguing he is.

You know who lacks moxie is Justin Herbert. But the dude can sling it and is a good athlete.

Moxie means you know you can count on him to get the first down in a critical game, not fumble or get stuffed on a short yardage situation. When I watched Vince, I just knew he would WILL us to victory. Joe Burrow was very much like that last year. I hope Sam turns out that way this year but he wasn't like that the last 3 years. 

4 hours ago, Hmmm said:

i'm not sure Joe was a "generational" player.  he had one fantastic year with tremendous OCs.

i don't visit LSU boards but curious if they see him as a generational player the way we do with Vince.

thanks for the neg bomb on this @Royal With Cheese

care to explain why?

nvm forget it, looked at your profile and you're a drive by shooter with no value.  didn't mean to derail this thread. 

Edited by Hmmm

Moxie means you know you can count on him to get the first down in a critical game, not fumble or get stuffed on a short yardage situation. When I watched Vince, I just knew he would WILL us to victory. Joe Burrow was very much like that last year. I hope Sam turns out that way this year but he wasn't like that the last 3 years. 

I gave you the textbook definition of moxie. When it is not paired with ability, the result does not always lead to winning.