Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

18 hours ago, Hmmm said:

i'm not sure Joe was a "generational" player.  he had one fantastic year with tremendous OCs.

i don't visit LSU boards but curious if they see him as a generational player the way we do with Vince.

Yeah he was average before Brady at LSU with almost the same talent surrounding him. Going to be interesting to see how he does in the NFL when the talent gap doesn't exist in almost every game.

• 2 weeks later...

Chip Brown: Sam Ehlinger's leadership will be big for Texas post-pandemic

AUSTIN, Texas — Texas quarterback Sam Ehlinger can’t tell you how comfortable he is with the Longhorns’ revamped offense under new coordinator Mike Yurcich. “I think that’s difficult to say, because we’re still installing,” Ehlinger said Thursday, roughly one week from when Texas was supposed to play its spring game. “So I don’t know what the entire playbook looks like. But I know Coach Yurcich has some really good ideas about how to get guys open in space.”

Common sense tells us when college football finally emerges from this unprecedented, global, coronavirus pandemic, the teams with the most returning experience and leadership are likely to have a competitive advantage. The Longhorns have the second-most returning starters (17) in the Big 12 along with West Virginia, just behind Oklahoma State (18). “I’m very optimistic that we have a lot of guys who know what it takes to prepare and get right in the playbook and have your body at a level it needs to be at,” Ehlinger said. “With that, I’m excited about the chemistry we already have.”

Most importantly, the Longhorns have Ehlinger, a blood-and-guts warrior who is the unquestioned leader of the team. Instead of communicating with teammates about Yurcich’s new wrinkles in the Texas offense in what would’ve been the final week of spring ball, Ehlinger is instead texting with teammates to make sure they got some kind of workout in before diving into their playbooks. “We’re supposed to be in spring ball right now,” Ehlinger said. “So we have to control what we can. For me, that means using my technology as much as I can to be in touch with my teammates and making sure everyone is being accountable.”

In addition to completing 65 percent of his passes the past two seasons with 57 TDs through the air and 15 interceptions, Ehlinger took Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence’s lead and started a GoFundMe to help those in need through the pandemic that has raised more than $130,000. “After the NCAA granted Trevor permission, I got on the phone with him the next day,” Ehlinger said of Lawrence, whom he considers a friend dating back to football camps they attended in high school, including the Elite 11. “He helped me with what his process looked like, and then I got mine going.”

Ehlinger said he’s still deciding which groups he wants to help with the money. “I think Trevor and I both realize the opportunity we’ve been given to help others out,” Ehlinger said. Since then, Ehlinger has helped former Texas teammate Shane Buechele, now at SMU, as well as Minnesota quarterback Tanner Morgan with how to set up charitable GoFundMe accounts. “The University of Texas means so much to me that I want to do everything I can to give back,” Ehlinger said. “I’m blessed and thankful to be in the position I’m in. Just very thankful.”

Texas coach Tom Herman said, “Sam has done a great job of maximizing his platform to help others. It’s just so impressive to see at his stage in life.” Ehlinger never would’ve imagined spring football before his senior year would consist of being cooped up at home, “pelting” footballs at his younger brother, Jake, a Longhorns’ walk-on linebacker, in their backyard, instead of throwing to Texas receivers Brennan Eagles, Jake Smith and Joshua Moore on UT’s practice fields.

A rib cartilage injury suffered during last season that was apparently re-aggravated by a sneeze and caused him to miss more than two weeks of winter conditioning has healed, Ehlinger said. “Rib feels great,” he said. “Everything feels great.” When asked what concerns he has about missing spring ball and having his teammates on their own, all over the country, Ehlinger said he doesn’t waste energy on things he can’t control or on what would’ve, could’ve, should’ve been.

“I try to focus on the positives instead of any concerns,” Ehlinger said. “I try to do daily check-ins with guys, whether it be sending a video or a picture of a workout and then finding out what the rest of the guys have gotten accomplished for the week. Just trying to keep that accountability going.” Make no mistake, Ehlinger looks forward to the day he’s back on the practice field with his teammates and with Yurcich … whenever that day comes.

“I love Coach Yurcich so far,” Ehlinger said. “It’s been an incredible relationship up until this point. His football IQ is extremely high, and his love for the game is extremely high. I love his schemes and the way he approaches his offense. I’m excited to continue building that relationship.”

Edited by satyanash

• 3 weeks later...

College Football: Which quarterbacks are in the next tier after Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields? 

Quarterback debates are always one of the biggest topics of conversation during the college football offseason, but this year the debate isn’t about who is the best — it’s about who rounds out the top three. Clemson’s Trevor Lawrence and Ohio State’s Justin Fields are the consensus top two — and rightfully so — but there isn’t even close to consensus when it comes to who the third-best quarterback in college football will be in 2020.

Taking into account what the current crop of quarterbacks have done in their collegiate careers, there are seven from Power-5 schools who stand out as candidates to emerge as the true college football QB3. In no particular order, here is the second tier of quarterbacks in college football and why they might or might not end up as the next-best quarterback after Lawrence and Fields.

(Note: This is NOT a consideration of these quarterbacks' pro potential.)

SAM EHLINGER, TEXAS

Argument for: Over the last two seasons, Ehlinger has produced a two-year overall grade that is the fifth-best at his position and has been among the 10 most valuable players in the country both years. Ehlinger has squeezed some impressive throws into tight windows in that span — his 33 big-time throws to a tight window since 2018 is tied with Burrow for most. He's been particularly good when leading the receiver across the field — his horizontal lead passes have been his bread and butter. Ehlinger’s grade on such throws and accurate pass rate both crack the top-five.

Argument against: Ehlinger’s mobility can be an advantage at times, but there are just far too many instances of him bailing on clean pockets and trying to create a positive play with his legs instead of his arm. In fact, it happened 40 times in 2019, which was six more than any other quarterback. Sometimes this works out for him, but a majority of the time he bailed way too early and had a better option.

For full article: 

https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-college-football-quarterback-rankings-who-follows-trevor-lawrence-and-justin-fields-as-the-best

Edited by LTtxfan

15 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

(Popped up on my YouTube App today...)

Damn this is just a bunch of short passes.  Really hope Yurcich can help Sam and the Horns Offense be more productive vertically...

Short passing game? No, no: running game modification. Think of them as long handoffs. 

On 4/1/2020 at 8:12 PM, Hmmm said:

i'm not sure Joe was a "generational" player.  he had one fantastic year with tremendous OCs.

i don't visit LSU boards but curious if they see him as a generational player the way we do with Vince.

He had a once in a generation type season, the best single-season body of work for a QB at least since VY, and he made a hell of a lot of plays himself in the process. He threw seven TDs in a fucking half in a playoff game. I know OU is not good defensively but that's still insane. Six against Clemson with who knows how many future NFLers on defense.

Points regarding his performance prior to Brady are fair, but it isn't like VY was a GOAT pre-2005. VY threw 12 TDs to 11 INTs with 59 percent completion in 2004 and got shut out by OU. He was already a gifted runner in 2004 but he wasn't there yet as a passer. You could see the potential, and it was very clear after the Michigan game, but it's not like he had more than one full season of straight god mode.

54 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

VY ... got shut out by OU.

GDGD and FUPM were still trying to make Vince a drop-back passer at that point.

So, fuck you, fuck your mother, fuck your dog, fuck your mother's dog, and fuck your dog's mother.

Did I mention fuck you?

3 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

GDGD and FUPM were still trying to make Vince a drop-back passer at that point.

Yeah, everyone knows this. My point is that he couldn't do it. It was criminally stupid of the coaching staff to go that route, but that's another discussion entirely, and one that's been had among Texas fans who knows how many times. No need to have it again.

VY was an absolutely electric, but flawed player for a good chunk of 2004. He elevated his game and became the greatest player in college football history in 2005. To dismiss Joe Burrow's accomplishment by saying it was only one season while holding up VY as a better example of a generational talent is silly because they both essentially had one year of steamrolling everything in their path.

Fuck me sideways. You're worse at analogies than fucking brisketexan. 

The comparison you're looking for is Burrow's running prowess before Brady showed up versus Vince's passing before Mack told GDGD to let him run ZR every fucking snap.

My hope for this season is that Yurcich will do a Brady for Sam, and get him two or three receivers running wide fucking open ten yards down field every fucking snap.

Sam may not have demonstrated much of a deep ball the last season and a half, but if his ribs have finally healed up, that ten-yard game is going to open up the streakers so wide that your fucking grandmother could hit 'em.

• 2 weeks later...

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/College-football-2020-best-QBs-fighter-jets-or-bus-drivers-148453141/

Does your team's QB have what it takes to win a national title?

By BARTON SIMMONS   12 hours ago

Earlier this month, 247Sports' Bud Elliott gave you the Blue-Chip Ratio, a minimum standard of roster-wide talent to win a national championship. I contend that a further barrier of entry in today’s game is the quarterback position. Using the 15 Blue-Chip Ratio teams that are championship capable (the most notable snub here is Oregon), I took it upon myself to judge whether there’s a fighter pilot or bus driver in the cockpit. Does it have a quarterback that can emerge as a first round pick? Because that’s what it will need to beat to win it all.

TEXAS

BCR: 64 percent

Quarterback: Fighter Pilot

Whether it’s running, throwing or just winning, Ehlinger has it. He may not have the tools to be a first-round pick but he’s got some big-game swagger and toughness that fits the bill here. This is the guy that nearly outdueled Joe Burrow last season.

Edited by LTtxfan

54 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/College-football-2020-best-QBs-fighter-jets-or-bus-drivers-148453141/

Does your team's QB have what it takes to win a national title?

By BARTON SIMMONS   12 hours ago

Earlier this month, 247Sports' Bud Elliott gave you the Blue-Chip Ratio, a minimum standard of roster-wide talent to win a national championship. I contend that a further barrier of entry in today’s game is the quarterback position. Using the 15 Blue-Chip Ratio teams that are championship capable (the most notable snub here is Oregon), I took it upon myself to judge whether there’s a fighter pilot or bus driver in the cockpit. Does it have a quarterback that can emerge as a first round pick? Because that’s what it will need to beat to win it all.

TEXAS

BCR: 64 percent

Quarterback: Fighter Pilot

Whether it’s running, throwing or just winning, Ehlinger has it. He may not have the tools to be a first-round pick but he’s got some big-game swagger and toughness that fits the bill here. This is the guy that nearly outdueled Joe Burrow last season.

What the fuck is this shit. They are running out of things to talk about, so they continue to make shit up and discredit themselves. 

#1 was Oklahoma State RB Chuba Hubbard

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-football-Sam-Ehlinger-Top-10-players-in-the-Big-12-Conference-2020-college-football-148543881/

247Sports ranks Sam Ehlinger as second-best player in the Big 12

By TAYLOR ESTES.        Thu Jun 25 2020

Edited by LTtxfan

5. SAM EHLINGER, TEXAS (+1800)

9592574.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs

(Photo: Tim Warner, Getty)

Coming off another impressive season statistically for the Longhorns, Ehlinger enters his senior season at Texas with one last opportunity to win a Big 12 Championship, something he has tried to obtain since his arrival in Austin. Marking his third season as the starter for Tom Herman, Ehlinger this fall gets a new offensive coordinator to bring out his best, Mike Yurcich (Ohio State). Ehlinger rushed and threw for more yards last season than he did in 2018 and has 80 total touchdowns over his last 27 starts. Texas also backtracked from 10-4 to 8-5. If the Longhorns contend for a Big 12 title this fall, Ehlinger will likely have the numbers to be in the Heisman Trophy discussion at the end of the regular season.

Edited by LTtxfan

If Yurcich and Coleman can get at least two of the WRs open each snap and Hand can kee[ the pocket clean for 2.77777 seconds, we gonna be good - Sam got a purty good short/medium throw on him... if his ribs're healed finally. RBs gonna have a field day when that starts - Bijan and Shug put Ingram on the bench.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

If Yurcich and Coleman can get at least two of the WRs open each snap and Hand can kee[ the pocket clean for 2.77777 seconds, we gonna be good - Sam got a purty good short/medium throw on him... if his ribs're healed finally. RBs gonna have a field day when that starts - Bijan and Shug put Ingram on the bench.

Excuse me??