Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

12 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yurcich loved calling the post route to Washington. It'll be interesting to see if sam can hit that consistently. he'll need to at least hit it often enough to keep the defense honest and open up other concepts.

Agreed but our primary concept this year should be, running the ball down their fucking throats.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yurcich loved calling the post route to Washington. It'll be interesting to see if sam can hit that consistently. he'll need to at least hit it often enough to keep the defense honest and open up other concepts.

Excited to see what Yurcich does to improve Sam this year...

SIAP, but the Athletic had an article with Sam listed at the #5 draft eligible prospect for 2021. I'd think that if that holds true it would put him in the first 3 or 4 rounds. 

https://theathletic.com/1911747/2020/07/09/nfl-draft-summer-scouting-three-exciting-qbs-headline-promising-2021-class/

Relevant section behind the paywall: 

5. Sam Ehlinger, Texas (6-1, 224)

Best trait: Competitive grit

Ehlinger doesn’t have the speed of Lamar Jackson or twitch of Murray, but his instincts and competitive toughness as an athlete are what makes him a dangerous dual-threat player. He is physical through contact and sturdy in the pocket, willing to hang and deliver before taking a shot.

Due to his unique skill set, the Longhorns emphasize pocket movement in their zone read scheme, allowing Ehlinger to showcase his arm and legs. His competitive grit is not only the central ingredient that allows Texas’ offense to move the chains, but it is also the key trait that will appeal to NFL play callers as a prospect.

Must improve: Passing rhythm

While his passing production and consistency have improved each season, Ehlinger is still learning the fine details of reading defenses and completing passes. Similar to Tim Tebow when he was at Florida, Ehlinger has fantastic instincts and toughness as an athlete, but introducing better rhythm from snap to release is something that remains a work in progress.

This third-down play against Louisiana Tech illustrates what Ehlinger does best and where he needs to improve. With his eyes downfield, he lured the free rusher into the pocket before escaping at the final moment, giving himself green grass to scramble and reset his eyes. He located his receiver and fired a seed on the move for the first down.

While Ehlinger is clearly comfortable relying on his mobility to deliver off platform, his overall passing rhythm remains inconsistent. Despite the throw resulting in a first down, wide receiver Collin Johnson needed every inch of his 6-foot-6 frame to complete the grab. That play would have been an incomplete pass in the NFL and resulted in a punt.

2020 season/2021 NFL Draft outlook

When I started my scouting deep dive this summer, I didn’t expect Ehlinger to be among my top five draft-eligible quarterbacks. However, his film swayed me because of his control of the offense and competitive toughness.

Like most college offenses in the modern era, there are a lot of one-read, horizontal throws on his tape, but Ehlinger has gradually improved as a downfield passer and offers several traits NFL coaches will want to work with. While the Tebow comparisons have merit, I see more of a Jalen Hurts-style player due to their mobility, toughness and intangibles. And, like Hurts, Ehlinger has a chance to be a top-100 draft pick if he continues to improve as a senior.

Texas QB Sam Ehlinger Raises 'Approximately' $200K for COVID-19 Relief

hi-res-c55845f496a7f06e81451f62f702b074_

By:   SCOTT POLACEK.      JULY 26, 2020

Texas Longhorns quarterback Sam Ehlinger is doing his part to help fight the hardships created by the COVID-19 pandemic.

On Sunday, he announced the GoFundMe he set up raised "approximately $200,000" through public and private donations. He explained, "your generosity provided over 150,000 meals and helped many other people/organizations."

Ehlinger received approval from the NCAA to set the account up in March.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2901787-texas-qb-sam-ehlinger-raises-approximately-200k-for-covid-19-relief

Edit:  

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 5

https://247sports.com/college/texas/LongFormArticle/Ranking-top-players-college-football-2020-season-roundtable-149601707/#149601707_1 

"Top 50 roundtable: Too low, snubbed, underclassmen soon to crash"

ByCHRIS HUMMER 22 hours ago

PLAYERS RANKED TOO LOW

No. 27 Sam Ehlinger, QB, Texas

“Call me a homer, but Ehlinger at No. 27 is borderline disrespectful. He's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination. I still can't see him as an NFL guy. He loses his grip a few times a game and just absolutely drives me crazy: A 10-second hangout in the pocket one moment, a shanked deep throw I swear I could have made myself. The criticisms are understood. But raw stats (93 total career touchdowns) and advanced metrics (fifth among all players in PFF's wins over average) both confirm he's one of the best dual-threat quarterbacks over the last several years in college football, and he's at his best in big games. Y'all are telling me you'd take 26 players over him in 2020? Please.” – Trey Scott, National Colleges Editor (and Texas grad)

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-Football-Tom-Herman-Sam-Ehlinger-two-areas-of-improvement-2020-season-health-149748266/

Tom Herman sees two areas where Sam Ehlinger's game can improve

• Considering Ehlinger missed significant parts of two games in 2018 with a shoulder injury and fought through a rib injury last season, Herman wants to continue to see his prized pupil make an effort to protect his body however he can.
  • Another area where Ehlinger can grow, Herman said, quickening and tightening his release. While Ehlinger is always working on it, it sounds like it was a priority this offseason based on the number of quick-game throws to get the ball out to playmakers in space are found in offenses across the country, including Herman’s pro-spread attack.

(Hey Herman -- how about better accuracy, and improving deep throws??)

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

... Considering Ehlinger missed significant parts of two games in 2018 with a shoulder injury and fought through a rib injury last season, Herman wants to continue to see his prized pupil make an effort to protect his body however he can....

I'd be more happier if #MensaTom worked a little lot harder at having a backup QB not just ready to run the plays from the week's game plan, but actually doing so in games. A two-TD lead in the first half ought to get him on the field, and a successful possession ought to give him another shot.

NB - not saying backup should run the same progressions, but from the same game plans... 

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

I'd be more happier if #MensaTom worked a little lot harder at having a backup QB not just ready to run the plays from the week's game plan, but actually doing so in games. A two-TD lead in the first half ought to get him on the field, and a successful possession ought to give him another shot.

NB - not saying backup should run the same progressions, but from the same game plans... 

Hmm. 2 td lead in first half. Don't think we need backup in that situation. Maybe with 5-6 min in 4th quarter.

But agree. Backup needs more playing time.

Edited by EastTexan

On 8/1/2020 at 11:12 AM, EastTexan said:

Hmm. 2 td lead in first half. Don't think we need backup in that situation. Maybe with 5-6 min in 4th quarter.

I understand the reluctance, but the backup can't do worse than a turnover TD, and if he doesn't see the field until Q4 and only with a "safe" lead, neither he nor coaches know what he can do, in the (hopefully) unlikely event the first-string QB goes down. Who knows, with a little confidence, maybe the backup can even find his helmet when he needs to go in...

Edited by Tex Long

On 8/1/2020 at 10:18 AM, Tex Long said:

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

I understand the reluctance, but the backup can't do worse than a turnover TD, and if he doesn't see the field until Q4 and only with a "safe" lead, neither he nor coaches know what he can do, in the (hopefully) unlikely event the first-string QB goes down. Who knows, with a little confidence, maybe the backup can even find his helmet when he needs to go in...

Just stop.  This is an unbelievably stupid take. You don't put your backup in when you're up 2 TDs in the first half, especially not when you have one of the 3 or 4 best QBs in all of college football.  Tom needs to get the backup more reps in games where we're comfortably ahead in the fourth quarter, which requires leaving your starter in for the first 3 quarters to build up the lead. 

12 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Just stop.  This is an unbelievably stupid take. You don't put your backup in when you're up 2 TDs in the first half, especially not when you have one of the 3 or 4 best QBs in all of college football.  Tom needs to get the backup more reps in games where we're comfortably ahead in the fourth quarter, which requires leaving your starter in for the first 3 quarters to build up the lead. 

Naaahh - you stop. Go play #imacoach elsewhere.

On 8/1/2020 at 10:18 AM, Tex Long said:

On 8/1/2020 at 11:12 AM, EastTexan said:

On 8/3/2020 at 8:40 AM, Tex Long said:

On 8/3/2020 at 10:34 AM, Burt Macklin said:

RewardingImpassionedGermanshorthairedpoi

34. SAM EHLINGER, TEXAS

Ehlinger is coming off an exceptional season in which he earned a 90.1 PFF grade that ranked seventh in the FBS. He’s been one of the 10 most valuable quarterbacks in college football in each of the past two years now. And he has protected the ball exceptionally well in that span with the fourth-best turnover-worthy play rate. As said in the 2020 PFF College Magazine, Ehlinger can take his play to an even higher level if he gets a tad better in going through his progressions and doesn’t bail as often on clean pockets.

On 8/18/2020 at 5:44 PM, LTtxfan said:

34. SAM EHLINGER, TEXAS

Ehlinger is coming off an exceptional season in which he earned a 90.1 PFF grade that ranked seventh in the FBS. He’s been one of the 10 most valuable quarterbacks in college football in each of the past two years now. And he has protected the ball exceptionally well in that span with the fourth-best turnover-worthy play rate. As said in the 2020 PFF College Magazine, Ehlinger can take his play to an even higher level if he gets a tad better in going through his progressions and doesn’t bail as often on clean pockets.

Not that it matters much, but I have no clue how they decided to drop Sam all the way to 34. They had him graded as the 7th best player in the country last year and their version of WAR (WAA) had him as the 5th most valuable player, regardless of position. At least a couple of the guys ahead of him in that category will be playing in the NFL this year, so I have no clue how taht leads PFF to ranking him 34th entering his senior year. 

12 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Not that it matters much, but I have no clue how they decided to drop Sam all the way to 34. They had him graded as the 7th best player in the country last year and their version of WAR (WAA) had him as the 5th most valuable player, regardless of position. At least a couple of the guys ahead of him in that category will be playing in the NFL this year, so I have no clue how taht leads PFF to ranking him 34th entering his senior year. 

Unless they're trying to project pro potential - none of those ratings make any fucking sense.  PFF has Ehlinger as a second round pick in their mock and simulator - so I think that maybe is what they're trying to do.

On 8/3/2020 at 8:40 AM, Tex Long said:

during the 30 game win streak, St DKR would have the second string in by the second quarter, and the 3rd string in the 3rd quarter. Not one starter played enough minutes to letter in 1969 under the normal rules.

On 7/20/2020 at 1:27 PM, LTtxfan said:

5. SAM EHLINGER, TEXAS (+1800)

9592574.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs

(Photo: Tim Warner, Getty)

Coming off another impressive season statistically for the Longhorns, Ehlinger enters his senior season at Texas with one last opportunity to win a Big 12 Championship, something he has tried to obtain since his arrival in Austin. Marking his third season as the starter for Tom Herman, Ehlinger this fall gets a new offensive coordinator to bring out his best, Mike Yurcich (Ohio State). Ehlinger rushed and threw for more yards last season than he did in 2018 and has 80 total touchdowns over his last 27 starts. Texas also backtracked from 10-4 to 8-5. If the Longhorns contend for a Big 12 title this fall, Ehlinger will likely have the numbers to be in the Heisman Trophy discussion at the end of the regular season.

Hey #5 on the heisman odds! holy smokes! That's really impressive.   A 4th year player, with nearly 40 games under his belt, he guy has really paid his dues and has earned it. 

Out of curiosity, who is #4 on that list?  Here's the link-

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-football-Heisman-Trophy-odds-preseason-Justin-Fields-Trevor-Lawrence-Jamie-Newman-Spencer-Rattler-Sam-Ehlinger-149318100/#149318100_12

• Fuck You 11

19 hours ago, Glenn Quagmire Pilot said:

Hey #5 on the heisman odds! holy smokes! That's really impressive.   A 4th year player, with nearly 40 games under his belt, he guy has really paid his dues and has earned it. 

Out of curiosity, who is #4 on that list?  Here's the link-

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-football-Heisman-Trophy-odds-preseason-Justin-Fields-Trevor-Lawrence-Jamie-Newman-Spencer-Rattler-Sam-Ehlinger-149318100/#149318100_12

Why the fuck is Rattler on this list? No way in hell will he receive votes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Glenn Quagmire Pilot said:

Any qb starting for Riley will be a heisman hopeful every august.   But he will receive plenty of votes by december when they see how good he is.

Looks like i gave him his 100th downvote. What a shame. 

JointAdeptEmperorshrimp-size_restricted. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/21/2020 at 12:31 PM, Glenn Quagmire Pilot said:

Any qb starting for Riley will be a heisman hopeful every august.   But he will receive plenty of votes by december when they see how good he is.

I guess you’re not aware that your vag coach is trying like hell not to play this year.  He knows exactly what he has in Rattler.  

• Hook 'Em 3