Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

On 9/14/2020 at 2:48 PM, B00M said:

Sam looked pissed after 2 Eagles targets. The 2nd was possibly just a Sam over-throw. 

Supports Eagles losing his starting spot to Black. Without having any solid information on the matter, I'd guess that Eagles assumed the job was locked up with Duv graduating. 

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

I’m still not seeing how Ehlinger can be any worse than the 3rd QB off the board this draft. Newman is overrated as fuck, I’m not sold on Trask, no idea how good that NDSU guy is but that school will run out of magic eventually. It’s Lawrence/Fields/Ehlinger and then a sea of nobodies. 

Not sure that Ehlinger has the arm strength for a lot of NFL offenses -- makes it harder to be drafted any earlier than the 6th Round imo...

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Not sure that Ehlinger has the arm strength for a lot of NFL offenses -- makes it harder to be drafted any earlier than the 6th Round imo...

I think this season is going to dispel a lot of notions about his passing abilities.

Just send him to the Patriots. If Belichek can win with Cam Newton, he can win with anybody.
That's a little silly, the guy was the league MVP not long ago. But Sam to the Pats could be a good situation, misplaced Cam criticism notwithstanding. NOLA too; even if Payton is serious about Taysom Hill being the heir, he's already 30 and mobile QBs don't have long shelf lives. I also don't think Taysom is the long term answer. Couple years learning Payton's system then a shot at the job is a reasonably realistic path for Sam. He's the type of personality Payton likes, too. Firey, strong headed even cocky but still extremely coachable. Saints are loaded for the foreseeable future which would help. The post-Brees era will be a fast retool, not a rebuild.Didn't Green Bay draft Jordan Love in round 1? That's not a great landing spot.

56 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

I think Green Bay would be a good place for Sam. He could sit under Rogers for a few and I think he fits their QB type they seem to like. If Rogers goes on and on like Favre did, he’d be ready for a lot of teams if he got impatient.

They just drafted Jordan Love. 

3 hours ago, BradInATX said:

That's a little silly, the guy was the league MVP not long ago. But Sam to the Pats could be a good situation, misplaced Cam criticism notwithstanding. NOLA too; even if Payton is serious about Taysom Hill being the heir, he's already 30 and mobile QBs don't have long shelf lives. I also don't think Taysom is the long term answer. Couple years learning Payton's system then a shot at the job is a reasonably realistic path for Sam. He's the type of personality Payton likes, too. Firey, strong headed even cocky but still extremely coachable. Saints are loaded for the foreseeable future which would help. The post-Brees era will be a fast retool, not a rebuild.Didn't Green Bay draft Jordan Love in round 1? That's not a great landing spot.

Plus Sam is undefeated in the Super Dome

• Like 1

Ok so I've been catching up on the thread so the draft talk might be outdated and this turned out longer than I expected, so I've spoiler'ed it into sections 

How Sam projects to the NFL

Spoiler

I think Sam's most likely NFL path is like Colt: good backup that can stick around for a long time. Professional, won't lose you games via turnovers or handicapping your playbook, good for the locker room, will work well with the starter, etc.

However, I'm higher on his ceiling than most of this thread seems to be though. Sure, he needs to work on post-snap reads and he lacks the arm strength to be elite, but I think his passing ability is underrated. The guy can make every throw and drops some absolute dimes pretty consistently. He's shown improvement every year. He made a big leap with pocket presence and turnovers in 2018, then last year improved his accuracy a lot--remember how he couldn't hit Duvernay or TEs in the deep middle to save his life in 2018? I think he's just one of those guys that can identify flaws in his game and slowly but surely fix them. See Kawhi's evolution in the NBA for how far that can take you. He doesn't have the arm to be a gunslinger like Mahomes/Rodgers/Roethlisberger, he doesn't have legs like Lamar/Russ/Deshaun, and it's unfair to project him to being a super high-accuracy, mental champ like Brees/Brady/Ryan, but I think he could fall somewhere on the well-rounded-but-never-elite spectrum with Dak, Cousins, Goff, Tannehill, etc. As a Cowboys fan Sam reminds me a lot of Dak his rookie year. 

NFL drafting trends and where Sam fits

Spoiler

The last three years have seen the following breakdown for QB drafting: 

• Round 1: 12 (Baker, Darnold, Lamar, Rosen, Allen, Kyler, Haskins, Jones, Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Love)
  • Round 2: 2 (Lock, Hurts)
  • Round 3: 2 (Rudolph, Grier)
  • Round 4: 5 (Lauletta, Finley, Stidham, Eason, Morgan)
  • Round 5: 4 (White, Thorson, Stick, Fromm)
  • Round 6+: I don't see Sam falling this far

I think he'd have been a late round guy last year but I see him climbing to the mid rounds this year. The 1st and 2nd round will be Lawrence, Fields, and some guys with easier projections than Sam. That's just how QB drafting at the top works (minus Jalen Hurts lol). But being the 5th-7th guy drafted puts you in the 4th round with a chance at the 3rd (Lamar was the 5th QB drafted in the 1st round in 2018 but that's an exception). Sam's fate will depend a lot on how the rest of the middle tier QB prospects perform and how Yurcich does this year. Getting out of the monotony of Tom's 2018-2019 offense will make the offense less predictable, thus helping Sam perform better, and it will give scouts new looks. 

As for the destination, I have no idea but I've randomly seen Eagles fans wanting Sam in a couple different twitter threads

Right now Sam seems to be wholly focused on winning this year. I think he cares deeply about his legacy at Texas and knows it is all on the line this year. Of course I hope he balls out and wins the conference, natty, and Heisman, but no matter what happens, at the very least I think he deserves credit for the way this team stayed together over the offseason. Between COVID, social justice, and a new staff, there were a lot of reasons for us to come in to the season unprepared. Instead we were one of the best performing teams in week 1 and (almost) everyone is dialed in, on and off the field. That's a reflection of our culture under Herman and Sam.

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

I think Trask might’ve jumped him in the heisman race today. Which ultimately won’t matter because Trask will shit the bed against the better SEC teams. I’m still not seeing any way Sam doesnt get invited to call in to the Zoom heisman ceremony or however they do it this year.

So far it might be Trask, Costello, Ehlinger, and Lawrence gunning for the Heisman.

Just now, USNALonghorn said:

All his deep ball flaws aside, the dude is a true Longhorn badass.

See, I think his biggest flaw from the fandom is he's not Vince Young and the team around him isn't as good as they were during Mack's apex.  No shame in not being VY.  He's a fucking baller and we should be thankful he's our QB.  I'm sure he'll have a bad day this season, but after a decade of Case McCoy's and Tyrone Swoopes' (no disrespect to those guys), it's great to have an upper echelon QB again.  Feel like he could probably tackle better than most of our defense too....

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1