Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

14 hours ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

I think you are cherry picking some stats here...

If you take out the last 3min of the game and look at the other 95%. Those completions and yards will tell a more accurate picture of why it didn’t feel like a great game. There were a ton of poorly thrown balls and bad decisions - plays not made, and there were a ton of wr screens that inflated his completion percentage. It’s not like he was carving up the defense, so excluding the last two drives, it wasn’t great. The last two drives were pretty damned good, they were his best work of the day.

You are the one focusing on the last two drives, but he's cherry picking? Ok

After watching the game replay last night...Sam’s confidence was what drove us to victory. He looked calm, cool and collected when we were down with three minutes left. I’ve always been a big fan of him personally...but had questions about how “elite” his QB skills were. 

His mental game is strong right now and I’m optimistic we take our lessons from Tech and are better moving forward.

He’s incredible, and on the same level as Colt and Vince.

People forget those guys weren’t perfect. They had stretches of futility in games, especially in games with inferior opponents. Think 4th and 18 against Kansas (VY 2004) or everything but the last drive against Nebraska in the B12 champ game (Colt).

But like those guys, Sam is a winner. He showed us that last year even in losses against Iowa St and LSU; Orlando really tucked this offense over a lot last year.

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, NoRagrets said:

He’s incredible, and on the same level as Colt and Vince.

People forget those guys weren’t perfect. They had stretches of futility in games, especially in games with inferior opponents. Think 4th and 18 against Kansas (VY 2004) or everything but the last drive against Nebraska in the B12 champ game (Colt).

But like those guys, Sam is a winner. He showed us that last year even in losses against Iowa St and LSU; Orlando really tucked this offense over a lot last year.

Legit feels like no situation is too out of reach with Ehlinger running things. Tech proved it. I remember feeling that way with VY and Colt. Didn't matter the score, if there was time left, we had a legit shot.

11 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I'll always be thankful for Sam for knowing the shit situation he was coming into and still held his head high and brought us better success than we had in a long time. He'll be a fan favorite regardless of how the season goes. 

Not just head held high, but actually drooling over the prospect of getting a chance to right the ship. Like he knew the situation, and saw it as an opportunity to fulfill his dream.

Every time I need a refresher to get pumped up about Sam Ehlinger, I watch this:

I want this guy to win a championship and a heisman so badly. It's like it's been his destiny since birth to be great at Texas.

Edited by BigXII
  • Hook 'Em 4

I'd say it's a bit of a stretch to say Sam is at the same level as Vince or Colt.  Both of those guys should have won the Heisman Trophy.  Sam is a stronger runner than Colt, who was no slouch, and a slightly better passer than Vince, who was underrated, but I don't think his arm or his legs put him quite in their rare air.  I'm still glad he's here, he's easily the best we've had since Colt.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'd say it's a bit of a stretch to say Sam is at the same level as Vince or Colt.  Both of those guys should have won the Heisman Trophy.  Sam is a stronger runner than Colt, who was no slouch, and a slightly better passer than Vince, who was underrated, but I don't think his arm or his legs put him quite in their rare air.  I'm still glad he's here, he's easily the best we've had since Colt.

Well, statistically, he's definitely in their category. He's broken most of VY's records and is right behind Colt in just about every major statistical category. He might not be as smooth as VY, or as crisp as Colt, but he also has much, much less to work around him. VY and Colt both had championship-caliber teams surrounding them for multiple years.

But when people compare him to VY or Colt I think they're primarily talking about the intangible. The guy oozes confidence and winner. It's much of what surrounds him that lets him down. Like, classic example:

This was a loss. Yet it's undoubtedly one of Sam Ehlinger's best moments as a Longhorn.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, BigXII said:

Well, statistically, he's definitely in their category. He's broken most of VY's records and is right behind Colt in just about every major statistical category. This was a loss. Yet it's undoubtedly one of Sam Ehlinger's best moments as a Longhorn.

I think we have to be careful here.  I'll admit I don't know in what ways Sam has passed Vince, but if we look at rushing, at this point Sam has almost exactly the same number of attempts that Vince had in his career, and the results are distinctly different:

Vince Young:  457 rushes for 3,127 yards (6.84 ypc)

Sam Ehlinger:  460 rushes for 1,607 yards (3.49 ypc)

Yes, Vince ran behind better lines, but he also created a lot of that yardage on his own.

They are almost identical in passer rating (146.3 to 144.9).  Sam has far more passing touchdowns (78 to 44), yards (9,558 to 6,040) and fewer interceptions (23 to 28), with a higher completion percentage (63.7 to 61.8).  Vince had slightly higher yards per attempt (8.4 to 7.8).  So, I'd say this backs up my assertion that Sam is a better passer than VY was, but not as good with his feet.  Overall, I've never seen a college quarterback or even a college player who had more "it" than Vince Young, and while Sam has a lot of "it", he doesn't have THAT much.  That's subjective.

Colt was a significantly better passer than either Sam or Vince, with a higher career rating (155.0), yardage (13,253 in 4 years), TDs (112 in 4 years), and completion percentage (70.3).  Sam is a physically stronger runner than Colt was, but the stats are pretty equal (3.5 ypc at equal attempts).  Again, Colt had a somewhat better line.

Like I said, I'll take a Sam Ehlinger any year going forward.  I just don't think he's quite in that Vince/Colt league.

• Hook 'Em 5

Colt's line was hot garbage. It was serviceable in pass protection (still subpar in run bocking though) in 2008 but in 2007 and 2009 Colt had to fight his terrible line constantly. It was by far the worst part of those teams. It drove me nuts that clearly so long as the program kept winning Mack Brown was content to let the offensive line be garbage.

But, to be fair, Sam's lines are not exactly full of NFL prospects either.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 2

Question for the long time fans (I didn't move to Texas and become a fan until 2011): What were the questions like when Colt took over? Were there a lot of naysayers saying he'd never as good as Vince? Because in my mind, Sam has been the perfect leader for the post-Mack, post-Strong era and decade of lackluster football. Is he different from the other two? Absolutely. But in an age where every player is a decommit/transfer risk, we have a kid who had this job fused in his bones since before he could walk. I don't give a shit what else happens, he's left his mark on this program and my memory forever.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Question for the long time fans (I didn't move to Texas and become a fan until 2011): What were the questions like when Colt took over? Were there a lot of naysayers saying he'd never as good as Vince? Because in my mind, Sam has been the perfect leader for the post-Mack, post-Strong era and decade of lackluster football. Is he different from the other two? Absolutely. But in an age where every player is a decommit/transfer risk, we have a kid who had this job fused in his bones since before he could walk. I don't give a shit what else happens, he's left his mark on this program and my memory forever.

Pretty much that.  Especially when we lost to tosu at home.  Sam's a top 3 qb here.  Can't take that away from him....for now.

38 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Colt started out pretty damn hot. Second play of his career was a 50+ yard td pass. We got stomped by Ohio State but for a baby faced freshman Colt looked decent in the game. We were in the MNC hunt his freshman year, if it wasn't for Colt getting hurt in the K-State game I'm confident we would have won the conference and probably gone on to the title game. Upsets happened the same day we lost to K-state, which would have put Texas at #3, with Michigan and Ohio State as #2 and #1 with a meeting the following week.

People obviously didn't think he could be the next VY, but pretty quickly Colt won people over. He had a really serious sophomore slump, though, and went in to his junior year pretty quietly. It wasn't until the OU game 2008 that Colt McCoy became a star in the national picture. But by that point, most Texas fans were already pretty much sold on Colt.

I remember the summer between Colt and Vince, telling my roommate at the time, "wouldn't it be crazy if when it was all said and done, we'd be looking back saying 'The only QB who could possibly follow Vince Young, was Colt McCoy?'"

Sam Ehlinger's early game at USC gave me Colt McCoy freshman flashbacks. Not in the style of football they play, but just that general "this dude is a winner" vibe.

Thing is, even including VY, until you win it all, there will always be naysayers. Shit, there are still naysayers about Colt McCoy. "He never won." The summer before the title year, people were still talking about how Vince Young would never be a competent passer, how we almost lost to Kansas, etc. You have to win to shut people up. People look back at VY and Colt with a lot more rose tinted glasses overall because of hindsight. There are always haters.

Edited by BigXII

Question for the long time fans (I didn't move to Texas and become a fan until 2011): What were the questions like when Colt took over? Were there a lot of naysayers saying he'd never as good as Vince?

Absolutely. He got off to a rough start with the fan base. After the loss to K-State in 2007, there were a lot of folks (in typical Texas fashion) calling for Chiles to get the start against OU. I don’t think he ever came close to taking the job, but he was a far more effective runner than Colt at the time so the grumbling didn’t really fade away for a while

Edit: Been so long, I was just going off memory. Post above reminded me. I guess it wasn’t a rough start as much as a rough stretch through his sophomore year.

13 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Edit: Been so long, I was just going off memory. Post above reminded me. I guess it wasn’t a rough start as much as a rough stretch through his sophomore year.

Colt lit people up his freshman year. His first year, we were in the top 10 until he went down the entire time. He had memorable games like the one against Nebraska, or the one against Tech where he lead that crazy comeback complete with the game winning first down.

There were dummies who hated on Colt from day one of course, but I remember his freshman year being really, really solid.

14 minutes ago, BigXII said:

The summer before the title year, people were still talking about how Vince Young would never be a competent passer, how we almost lost to Kansas, etc. You have to win to shut people up. People look back at VY and Colt with a lot more rose tinted glasses overall because of hindsight. There are always haters.

Maybe, but that was almost entirely gone after the last part of the '04 season, particularly after the Michigan Rose Bowl. I feel like nobody doubted Vince's greatness anymore after that game. 

6 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Maybe, but that was almost entirely gone after the last part of the '04 season, particularly after the Michigan Rose Bowl. I feel like nobody doubted Vince's greatness anymore after that game. 

I very, very distinctly remember arguing with people the summer leading up to the title year that the Michigan game wasn't an aberration. People already knew going into Michigan that VY could turn it on, he'd done it before in other games. The question was if he could be consistent.

The chatter the entire summer was that Ohio State would prove whether or not it was a fluke, or if we'd turned the corner. And even after Ohio State, there were some scattered naysayers who openly wondered if VY could get passed OU.

EDIT: To clarify, these people were a minority. Which was my original point, there will always be some chatter.

Edited by BigXII

2 hours ago, BigXII said:

Legit feels like no situation is too out of reach with Ehlinger running things. Tech proved it. I remember feeling that way with VY and Colt. Didn't matter the score, if there was time left, we had a legit shot.

Not just head held high, but actually drooling over the prospect of getting a chance to right the ship. Like he knew the situation, and saw it as an opportunity to fulfill his dream.

Every time I need a refresher to get pumped up about Sam Ehlinger, I watch this:

I want this guy to win a championship and a heisman so badly. It's like it's been his destiny since birth to be great at Texas.

Me and you both. I want him to end his career with a Heisman and championship more than anything, just to prove the doubters wrong. No matter what anyone thinks of him or his decision making, he brought us from the depths of nothingness to actually competing. His teammates love him for a reason. He's such an amazing person. 

• Like 1

Colt had a surprising amount of support in the fanbase when he won the job as a freshman.  It had a bit of a "Rudy" feel.  Of course, people were sky high over the national title run the prior year, so it wasn't a typical preseason.  Mack could have named his stepson the starting QB and half the fans would have put down their bongs and simply muttered "OK, cool".

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Colt had a surprising amount of support in the fanbase when he won the job as a freshman.  It had a bit of a "Rudy" feel.  Of course, people were sky high over the national title run the prior year, so it wasn't a typical preseason.  Mack could have named his stepson the starting QB and half the fans would have put down their bongs and simply muttered "OK, cool".

Ya, he won it over Jevan Sneed, who was much more highly touted. It was a very big shock when McCoy beat him out on the depth chart.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BigXII said:

I very, very distinctly remember arguing with people the summer leading up to the title year that the Michigan game wasn't an aberration. People already knew going into Michigan that VY could turn it on, he'd done it before in other games. The question was if he could be consistent.

The chatter the entire summer was that Ohio State would prove whether or not it was a fluke, or if we'd turned the corner. And even after Ohio State, there were some scattered naysayers who openly wondered if VY could get passed OU.

EDIT: To clarify, these people were a minority. Which was my original point, there will always be some chatter.

That was a bad ou team.  There may have been some fans who thought Mack couldnt' beat Stoops, but that was a talent mismatch.  

2 hours ago, BigXII said:

My daughter and I are in the first crowd scene after the end of the Georgia game. /csb @ 6:07

And who knew Sam was a racist?
/not csb @ 1:10

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

One last thing I'll say Re: Sam and Colt and perception. Colt McCoy's time at Texas, we were pretty much consistently at least in title talks. We fell out of contention at some point every year until his senior year, but there was always discussion of Texas when talking about teams that could make the BCS match. Sam Ehlinger has brought Texas back to that, when we weren't really seriously discussed in the national picture for much of the prior decade.

Now, what was different about Colt's time is that, following the 2008 OU game, and then that little stretch where we played like 3 top 10 teams in 4 weeks, we became the team to beat in the country. Texas isn't there yet with Sam. There was a two year stretch with Colt where it wasn't that we were in the title talks, it was that we were expected to reach the title game.

Obviously that was true of Texas pretty much the moment VY said "We'll be back" after Michigan as well.

Edited by BigXII

13 minutes ago, BigXII said:

One last thing I'll say Re: Sam and Colt and perception. Colt McCoy's time at Texas, we were pretty much consistently at least in title talks. We fell out of contention at some point every year until his senior year, but there was always discussion of Texas when talking about teams that could make the BCS match. Sam Ehlinger has brought Texas back to that, when we weren't really seriously discussed in the national picture for much of the prior decade.

Now, what was different about Colt's time is that, following the 2008 OU game, and then that little stretch where we played like 3 top 10 teams in 4 weeks, we became the team to beat in the country. Texas isn't there yet with Sam. There was a two year stretch with Colt where it wasn't that we were in the title talks, it was that we were expected to reach the title game.

Obviously that was true of Texas pretty much the moment VY said "We'll be back" after Michigan as well.

That’s a pretty pointless comparison. Colt and VY had drastically better overall rosters during their time here and much better coaching. Colt had a top 5 defense in 08 and 09. Our 2017 defense was very good, but that was Sam’s true FR year. Since then,  Sam hasn’t had a defense anywhere near that. You can’t compare overall team results between Sam and Colt/VY. The rosters and coaching are apples to oranges. 

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

That’s a pretty pointless comparison. Colt and VY had drastically better overall rosters during their time here and much better coaching. Colt had a top 5 defense in 08 and 09. Our 2017 defense was very good, but that was Sam’s true FR year. Since then,  Sam hasn’t had a defense anywhere near that. You can’t compare overall team results between Sam and Colt/VY. The rosters and coaching are apples to oranges. 

Perception doesn't have to be logical. You're completely right on all your points, but we're talking about a passionate (read: dumb) fanbase most of the time.

Winning is the cure-all, though. Sam has this season and next season to write his legacy.

Edited by BigXII

The Colt teams and the Sam teams had a very different culture, in my opinion. The team that Colt inherited didn’t know how to lose, for lack of a better word. You see that often with teams that become elite. Mid-90s Nebraska, early 2000s Miami, Leinart’s USC. It’s not that those teams were invincible, but they were very hard to put away. The 2009 horns was a very good example of that mindset: they scratched, clawed, and stumbled their way to the MNC game. What Sam started with was basically the polar opposite of that: a team that didn’t know how to win, and they are still learning that.

• Hook 'Em 3

The Colt teams and the Sam teams had a very different culture, in my opinion. The team that Colt inherited didn’t know how to lose, for lack of a better word. You see that often with teams that become elite. Mid-90s Nebraska, early 2000s Miami, Leinart’s USC. It’s not that those teams were invincible, but they were very hard to put away. The 2009 horns was a very good example of that mindset: they scratched, clawed, and stumbled their way to the MNC game. What Sam started with was basically the polar opposite of that: a team that didn’t know how to win, and they are still learning that.
That's a really good point. 10-win seasons were sort of rock bottom expectations. We were better than everyone, damn it, and should win every game by a comfortable margin. Even on Halloween in 2008, I never doubted that we would win. (sigh)

That culture of confidence probably makes a huge difference in those teams blowing (almost) everyone out versus Herman's teams playing to the competition.