Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

2 minutes ago, ioueleventybilliondollars said:

Who cares if he's going to be an NFL QB or not? He's a very good college QB, and one of the best ever at Texas. He had some misses, but this loss isn't on Sam.

the worst miss was not shaking off Herman on the handoff at the one.

1 minute ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I find it strange that after every loss to a supposed inferior opponent Sam was "hurt", but miraculously when we're competitive against ou he's fine. 

I mean Herman has been absolutely successful instilling “excuse” culture 

• Hook 'Em 2

Scorching hot take. Sam had to single-handedly carry our offense last year thanks to terrible playcalling and coaching, and he's been doing it again this year. We've wasted his peak years in this offensive system. If Herman had let Sam run in the touchdown instead of Ingram, we'd be singing his praises for leading yet another 4th-quarter comeback, but because the coaches were too stupid to do so it's now his fault?

You can bet I'll be bumping these takes next year, when our offense falls off a cliff with Casey Thompson/freshman Hudson Card at center. Because it will.

Just wait till next July when, after going 6-4 this season, the majority on this board expect Card to be orders of magnitude better than a senior Sam and for us contend for the playoff.

People forget of all the backups we have had at Texas come in and do fine. James brown, major, VY and even Sam. You would think people would see all the qbs around the country not named Sam ehlinger and realize there is life after Sam. If we are gonna suck after Sam why has everyone been so pumped about these shitty qb’s we’ve been signing? I’m actually pumped about JQJ and what he can do and the south lake kid in a few years, Card will be better than Thompson but you never know.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Rockethorn1978 said:

People forget of all the backups we have had at Texas come in and do fine. James brown, major, VY and even Sam. You would think people would see all the qbs around the country not named Sam ehlinger and realize there is life after Sam. If we are gonna suck after Sam why has everyone been so pumped about these shitty qb’s we’ve been signing? I’m actually pumped about JQJ and what he can do and the south lake kid in a few years, Card will be better than Thompson but you never know.

Truth. I'm excited about all 3 in Card, JQJ, and Ewers. Those guys are ballers. Unpopular opinion, but I can see Card being a bad ass when his hands grow. Ewers goes without saying. JQJ is a freak. I can't wait to see them. Sure, they'll take their lumps, but once they get a grasp of the speed of the game I can see them turning the tide for us. Ridiculous talent after Sam. 

• Like 1

Great QBs know how to win regardless of what is going on on the sideline or what the refs are doing. 

Sam is very good. He has been for awhile. He has a lot of very good games, some great games, but far too many games like today where you just scratch your head and wonder where the leadership and refusal to lose is. 

Today's game was completely, 100% in Sam's hands to either put away or win at multiple points and he didn't make the plays in those moments to come out on top.

Receivers drop passes. Refs call penalties. Shit happens. The way you respond to adversity and rally your guys and pull out the win even when nothing is going the way that you want it to is what great QBs and great winners are made of. Sam just doesn't have enough of that to overcome all of the dumbfuckery around him. To be fair, not many guys do. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Great QBs know how to win regardless of what is going on on the sideline or what the refs are doing. 

Sam is very good. He has been for awhile. He has a lot of very good games, some great games, but far too many games like today where you just scratch your head and wonder where the leadership and refusal to lose is. 

Today's game was completely, 100% in Sam's hands to either put away or win at multiple points and he didn't make the plays in those moments to come out on top.

Receivers drop passes. Refs call penalties. Shit happens. The way you respond to adversity and rally your guys and pull out the win even when nothing is going the way that you want it to is what great QBs and great winners are made of. Sam just doesn't have enough of that to overcome all of the dumbfuckery around him. To be fair, not many guys do. 

This is why VY deserves all the praise when he was here. He took over games and willed the win. And while it may not be fair to try and compare Sam to him or even have an expectation every QB will be VY, it just is what it is. 

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

And if you don't beleive any of that, keep in mind that we won a national championship with Greg Davis calling plays for us. 

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Sam should have recovered Ingram's fumble at the goal line to save the game and prove that he's a  good QB.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ioueleventybilliondollars said:

Sam should have recovered Ingram's fumble at the goal line to save the game and prove that he's a  good QB.

We wouldve never been in that situation to begin with if Sam was better. I love Sam but he is an above average Texas QB, he should never be mentioned in the same breath with Young and Colt and other Texas greats. He bleeds orange, which I love, but he doesnt have that transcendent "it" factor. Period, end of story. 

15 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

This is why VY deserves all the praise when he was here. He took over games and willed the win. And while it may not be fair to try and compare Sam to him or even have an expectation every QB will be VY, it just is what it is. 

VY was a legend. He also had guys like Cedric Benson and Jamaal Charles to work with.

Ehlinger has a RB who fumbled away the game-winning TD and a coaching staff that turtles with every lead, and you guys are putting the loss on him? That's more than silly.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Have to think his draft stock is down after these last 2 weeks

he's not getting drafted and never was.  there a 20 guys out there with better measurables.  the NFL doesn't draft QB's  because the guy was a very good college QB.  he could be a UDFA.

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

VY was a legend. He also had guys like Cedric Benson and Jamaal Charles to work with.

Ehlinger has a RB who fumbled away the game-winning TD and a coaching staff that turtles with every lead, and you guys are putting the loss on him? That's more than silly.

Fuck off with that shit. Nowhere did I say the loss is solely on Sam. 

"Losing bothers me the most," a visibly dejected Ehlinger said afterward. "This university deserves better. And it's very frustrating when it's self-inflicting and it's preventable by attention to detail and playing the way we all know that everybody is capable of playing in this program."

The loss was also Texas' sixth to TCU in the past seven years. The Horned Frogs' 6-1 mark against Texas since 2014 is the best record of any Longhorns conference opponent in that time frame.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30031986/sam-ehlinger-says-no-9-texas-deserves-better-again-losing-unranked-team

1 minute ago, Wally Pryor said:

"Losing bothers me the most," a visibly dejected Ehlinger said afterward. "This university deserves better. And it's very frustrating when it's self-inflicting and it's preventable by attention to detail and playing the way we all know that everybody is capable of playing in this program."

The loss was also Texas' sixth to TCU in the past seven years. The Horned Frogs' 6-1 mark against Texas since 2014 is the best record of any Longhorns conference opponent in that time frame.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30031986/sam-ehlinger-says-no-9-texas-deserves-better-again-losing-unranked-team

you are right Sam.  you deserve a better coach(along with better than middle school refs).

~2/3 of Sams passing yards came on 3 plays, 2 of which were schemed wide open (Eagles stop and go and Ingram wheel). The other was a pretty good (12ish yard) throw to Wiley that he turned upfield for a long run. 

With that context, go look at Duggan’s stat line against Sams. Now ask yourself which team’s skill talent you’d rather have. That’s our issue. I don’t think anyone is saying Sam sucks, but this idea that he’s a heisman quality player or irreplaceable is a joke.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, ChemicalHorn said:

~2/3 of Sams passing yards came on 3 plays, 2 of which were schemed wide open (Eagles stop and go and Ingram wheel). The other was a pretty good (12ish yard) throw to Wiley that he turned upfield for a long run. 

With that context, go look at Duggan’s stat line against Sams. Now ask yourself which team’s skill talent you’d rather have. That’s our issue. I don’t think anyone is saying Sam sucks, but this idea that he’s a heisman quality player or irreplaceable is a joke.

Do you think Duggan would have fared better than Sam if he had played QB for Texas today?

1 hour ago, Hmmm said:

Somewhat agree.  He played OK and this loss was far from his fault.

He has his portion of accountability however, he did not drop passes or incur penalties, some bogus , some not.

There were a lot of points, yards, and time left on the field that he would have produced had it not been for the failings of others.

7 minutes ago, ioueleventybilliondollars said:

Do you think Duggan would have fared better than Sam if he had played QB for Texas today?

Maybe - he’s a more dynamic runner, probably slightly lesser passer.

But that’s kinda my point - people wanna run around acting like Sam is some generational Texas QB who would be great if not for his coaches, when the reality is a true sophomore who’s been practicing for a few weeks is his equal. This loss isn’t all on Sam, but to act like he played great and the rest of the team let him down is burying your head in the sand.

Sam is a great college QB.  He had an off day today accuracy wise but he was in no way responsible for the loss.  He's our best player and its not at all close.  This was, 100%,  a coaching loss.  Our coaches are letting these players down all week long and then especially on game day with retard level football IQ decisions.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, Hozz said:

Sam is a great college QB.  He had an off day today accuracy wise but he was in no way responsible for the loss.  He's our best player and its not at all close.  This was, 100%,  a coaching loss.  Our coaches are letting these players down all week long and then especially on game day with retard level football IQ decisions.

Sam has some responsibility for this tcu loss...

3 minutes ago, ChemicalHorn said:

Maybe - he’s a more dynamic runner, probably slightly lesser passer.

But that’s kinda my point - people wanna run around acting like Sam is some generational Texas QB who would be great if not for his coaches, when the reality is a true sophomore who’s been practicing for a few weeks is his equal. This loss isn’t all on Sam, but to act like he played great and the rest of the team let him down is burying your head in the sand.

This is a shit take.  Duggan had a great game.  He's not going to play like that most weeks and TCU will be lucky to be a .500 team.  If Duggan ever has a season, numbers wise, better than Sam, I'll be shocked.  This game was typical TCU v Texas in the Big 12 era, Patterson coaching circles around our fucking idiots.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Sam has some responsibility for this tcu loss...

I don't think so unless you want to say all the players had some responsibility which is of course technically true.  The reason we lost was shit coaching.  If you want to blame a player, the player to blame is Ingram not Ehlinger.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hozz said:

I don't think so unless you want to say all the players had some responsibility which is of course technically true.  The reason we lost was shit coaching.  If you want to blame a player, the player to blame is Ingram not Ehlinger.

Missed throws, poor decisions in critical down and distance situations helped TEXAS lose today... Sam has part ownership in this loss against tcu...

Edited by LTtxfan

14 minutes ago, Hozz said:

This is a shit take.  Duggan had a great game.  He's not going to play like that most weeks and TCU will be lucky to be a .500 team.  If Duggan ever has a season, numbers wise, better than Sam, I'll be shocked.  This game was typical TCU v Texas in the Big 12 era, Patterson coaching circles around our fucking idiots.

Lol. Check out last years TCU game where (freshman) Duggan also outplayed Sam—

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=401112132

Coaching too though right?

Also - the point that senior Sam should be head and shoulders better than Duggan is a shit take? A shittier take than Sam is a great QB trailing only Vince and Colt in UT history as has been stated over and over?

Edited by ChemicalHorn

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

The game was 100% in Sam’s hands until we snapped the ball with a full play clock and our junior running back decided to hand the ball to TCU.

6 minutes ago, Nope said:

If Ingram doesn’t fumble, once again the narrative is about how Sam kept a cool head and saved our asses.

It shouldn’t be. It should be how Tom Herman coached teams continually look lost and not ready to play and always play down to their competition. Same reasons I wasn’t celebrating last week and knew we’d be in a close game today. We’re rarely prepared and almost always outcoached. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1