Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

with 2:39 left in the game Sam had led our offense to a total of 3, count em, 3 offensive points in the second half vs mighty Texas Tech. yes, Sam was less than great for much of the day against TTU, until they absolutely collapsed in the final three minutes. or did you not watch the game?

10ebfecffd17c76109c9e3da1296f687.jpg

all of y'all are seriously going to keep acting like that ^^^^ didn't happen? like Sam didn't struggle against Tech? *after* watching this TTU game all of y'all are still comparing him to Colt and VY, and you think you're being rational? anyone here think that James Brown, Major, Sims, etc would have crapped the bed like this vs a bad TTU team? hell no. yet somehow Sam is perfect and blameless. this is who we are as a fan base now. University of Sam Ehlinger. when does his statue go up?
Thank goodness USC collapsed in the last 6:42 of the game. USC was mighty. But not the defense. The Ting bros probably don't see the field at UT this year. Darnell Bing always overrated. Can't even remember the CBs.

Let's do another comp from that game. Our offense just needed one more shot in each of those.

4th and 2 versus the USC offense littered with NFL guys. Around midfield. Playbook entirely open.

3rd and 7 versus TCU from inside their 5. Playbook probably limited some.

You give up the first. Game over.

By the way I've made no comparisons of Sam's career to VY or McCoy. Only certain games for comparative purposes. In part to highlight the team nature of the game.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

16 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Thank goodness USC collapsed in the last 6:42 of the game. USC was mighty. But not the defense. The Ting bros probably don't see the field at UT this year. Darnell Bing always overrated. Can't even remember the CBs.

Let's do another comp from that game. Our offense just needed one more shot in each of those.

4th and 2 versus the USC offense littered with NFL guys. Around midfield. Playbook entirely open.

3rd and 7 versus TCU from inside their 5. Playbook probably limited some.

You give up the first. Game over.

By the way I've made no comparisons of Sam's career to VY or McCoy. Only certain games for comparative purposes. In part to highlight the team nature of the game.

Dude what happened in Lubbock is an anomaly. I’m trying to find the tweet but teams in that trailing situation are something like 11-1800+

we got lucky in Lubbock that’s all

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

with 2:39 left in the game Sam had led our offense to a total of 3, count em, 3 offensive points in the second half vs mighty Texas Tech. yes, Sam was less than great for much of the day against TTU, until they absolutely collapsed in the final three minutes. or did you not watch the game?

all of y'all are seriously going to keep acting like that ^^^^ didn't happen? like Sam didn't struggle against Tech? *after* watching this TTU game all of y'all are still comparing him to Colt and VY, and you think you're being rational? anyone here think that James Brown, Major, Sims, etc would have crapped the bed like this vs a bad TTU team? hell no. yet somehow Sam is perfect and blameless. this is who we are as a fan base now. University of Sam Ehlinger. when does his statue go up?

You're absolutely right and thank you for posting what I have just not had the energy to try and debate with people. Sam was embarassing in that 4th quarter until it was, by any conventional understanding of football, too late to make a difference. 

Check the time stamp on this text. What I said was 100% accurate at the time.

Screenshot_20201005-092041_Message+.jpg

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah not bad. Too bad his next 2 are dumb as shit.

yeah, he says that Sam isn't Lamar Jackson or Josh Allen and insinuates that those guys are total exceptions in today's NFL, when in reality QB running is just a part of the game now. period. i don't even have NFL Network and i barely watch the NFL, and yet this weekend alone i saw Sam Darnold score on a 45 yard TD run, I saw Carson Wentz score a TD on a designed run from 15-20 yards, i watched Derrick Carr run the option, and I saw Dak Prescott being used as a running weapon during Dallas's attempted comeback. Like I said, basically every QB worth a damn these days is mobile enough to run, and with the NFL game continuing to move more towards a college style game, that's exactly what their coaches ask them to do in some capacity every single week. To deny this is to be uninformed or just plain wrong. 

Sam is at his best when he’s running physical.  Since 2018, we’ve limited his runs and tried to turn him into a pocket passer.  I get it, they don’t want him injured.  However, Sam has continued to wait too long to get rid of the ball at times.  There were so many plays where he could have easily gained 5-10 yards if he took off, instead he tries to extend the play by rolling out only to throw it out of bounds.  They need to go back to the 2018 mindset.  If there’s no one open on your initial reads, take off and get a few yards.  Putting that type of stress on the defense is going to open up the offense a lot more.  Right now, we are handicapping ourselves by not letting Sam run. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

Yes, Sam was really terrible against Texas Tech. Thanks heavens you're here now to teach us about the football game: 

PASSING
40 attempts

27 completions

262 yards

5 TDs

1 int

RUSHING
16 runs

44 yards

1 TD

longest run 12 yards

Yeah not bad. Too bad his next 2 are dumb as shit.
No you degenerate. It's been years but I played QB so yeah I have a bit of understanding on how it feels and the impact on things. Different era but I've watched a shit ton of games and haven't quite hit the age of senility. Yet.

McCoy in my opinion is the most underrated player in my lifetime. His last two years. He essentially left the field with his team ahead. His offense those last two years had modest abilities. He absolutely was beat to hell in 09. His accuracy and decision making were not as good as 08. The abuse he took was a reason. Not the only reason. So I'm probably not ever going to put Sam on his level.

It seems odd that somehow Sam gets no credit for the comeback versus Tech. I agree on quit screwing around the 2nd half and finish it off. But we won it.

In our heyday of the early 2000s, our entire teams rose up and made plays when it mattered. Remember last year versus ISU? Just make another stop and we win. Whatever you want to say about Sam vs Tech if the defense shows up better, it's not an issue. 3rd and 17 versus LSU? No way the 2005 team allows that to happen.

Point is. Young and McCoy both had spells of poor performance. Some of it is their own efforts. Some their teammates. And for damn sure coaching.

Sam certainly isn't perfect but he's a good college QB, will he make it in the NFL, who knows.  But to think we have any QB on the roster who's better than him at this point, is laughable.

It's the same old shit, if your team is winning the QB usually gets too much credit and if they are struggling or losing he gets too much blame.

Sam is far from the biggest problem on this team.

Edited by sunset87

5 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

No you degenerate. It's been years but I played QB so yeah I have a bit of understanding on how it feels and the impact on things. Different era but I've watched a shit ton of games and haven't quite hit the age of senility. Yet.

McCoy in my opinion is the most underrated player in my lifetime. His last two years. He essentially left the field with his team ahead. His offense those last two years had modest abilities. He absolutely was beat to hell in 09. His accuracy and decision making were not as good as 08. The abuse he took was a reason. Not the only reason. So I'm probably not ever going to put Sam on his level.

It seems odd that somehow Sam gets no credit for the comeback versus Tech. I agree on quit screwing around the 2nd half and finish it off. But we won it.

In our heyday of the early 2000s, our entire teams rose up and made plays when it mattered. Remember last year versus ISU? Just make another stop and we win. Whatever you want to say about Sam vs Tech if the defense shows up better, it's not an issue. 3rd and 17 versus LSU? No way the 2005 team allows that to happen.

Point is. Young and McCoy both had spells of poor performance. Some of it is their own efforts. Some their teammates. And for damn sure coaching.

tenor.gif

15 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Yes, Sam was really terrible against Texas Tech. Thanks heavens you're here now to teach us about the football game: 

PASSING
40 attempts

27 completions

262 yards

5 TDs

1 int

RUSHING
16 runs

44 yards

1 TD

longest run 12 yards

QBing against Tech's vaunted defense is the barometer for success now?

• Like 1

Shadow

So you don't really watch the NFL yet you use it as an example? Yes, every QB is apt to scramble. Yes, many teams have incorporated some option/QB draw type game. But few use that as a primary staple of their offense. Allen and Jackson are. There are reasons Hill comes in for Brees. Derek Carr can and will run but that is not our offense with some QB power. And he does not run much. Mahomes can and will run but that is not our offense. And he sure as hell isn't the goalline back. NFL offenses are not comparable to ours. The guys I referenced are those most likely to match Sam's potential for 20 Carries in a game.

By the way, NFL QBs have always scrambled and run the ball some. RPOs, some option stuff, more mobility certainly has been part of the evolution. A good throwback was Elway. And I don't believe accuracy was his best trait.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

PASSING
40 attempts

27 completions

262 yards

5 TDs

1 int

RUSHING
16 runs

44 yards

1 TD

longest run 12 yards

he got 3 of those TDs and i don't know how many of those yards after the first 57 minutes of the game. so yes, for the 15th time, Sam was not great for the first 57 minutes of the Texas Tech game. it's a fact. if you watched the game and you don't agree then you are simply incapable of being objective. we couldn't even move the ball in the second half against a sorry-ass TTU team until they went full prevent defense after going up 15 with three minutes remaining. and even then, if we don't recover the onside kick then we lose the game, and Sam finishes the game with something like 200 yards passing and a big role in the loss. but again, nobody who's in here advocating for Sam can bring themselves to accept this reality. same with his play against TCU. 

Edited by shadow_operative

Shadow

So you don't really watch the NFL yet you use it as an example? Yes, every QB is apt to scramble. Yes, many teams have incorporated some option/QB draw type game. But few use that as a primary staple of their offense.

now you're moving the goal posts. you started with, "Sam won't be asked to run in short yardage situations in the NFL" (which he will), only now it's become, "QB running isn't a staple of NFL offenses." 

NFL offenses with mobile QBs ask those QBs to run the ball from time to time, if for nothing more than to keep defenses honest with the mere threat of a QB run. and yes, those teams often ask their QBs to run the ball in short yardage situations. any NFL team who employs Sam Ehlinger is going to ask him to use his legs and his muscle in certain short yardage situations. that's the way the game is played today. 

Edited by shadow_operative

20 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

he got 3 of those TDs and i don't know how many of those yards after the first 57 minutes of the game. so yes, for the 15th time, Sam was not great for the first 57 minutes of the Texas Tech game. it's a fact. if you watched the game and you don't agree then you are simply incapable of being objective. we couldn't even move the ball in the second half against a sorry-ass TTU team until they went full prevent defense after going up 15 with three minutes remaining. and even then, if we don't recover the onside kick then we lose the game, and Sam finishes the game with something like 200 yards passing and a big role in the loss. but again, nobody who's in here advocating for Sam can bring themselves to accept this reality. same with his play against TCU. 

We won, so it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison, but this is when NFL fans say Kirk Cousins and Dak Prescott had great games because of their stats.  Often times, you're getting those stats in garbage time when the game is already over.

Yes, ztejas. I've "had enough." That's why I posted.

I'm pissed. I'm invested. Time and money. Years of it. Probably more than most here on both fronts. Enough that I chose to use my season tickets this year. That I've been to both games. That I'll go to the OU game. That I will expect to win. I live outside Austin. Got school age kids. I've made Longhorn football a priority. Missed maybe 5 home games in 25 years. I want some real success.

Sam plays his butt off. He plays the hardest position. I'm pretty sure it means as much to him as anyone. I'll never say he's perfect. But I try to interject reasoning into things.

I generally take my hostility out on refs. Not saying they caused us to lose Saturday but they sure as hell affected us negatively. And I will say the Eagles non call was blatant and probably looked worse live than on tv. In reality that should have been a TD. But wasn't because there was too much air on the throw. He should have led him across the field more. The late throw to Smith sucked and cost us a first. But the Bujecski had the freaking first on the punt but kicked. I mean damn he was close to the line when he kicked.

But in spite of all the first 57 minutes, we were there to win. The Ingram play speaks for itself but I'm pretty damn pissed that we allow 8 or 9 yards on 3rd and 7. We get the ball back. I feel confident we win. Make em throw it over your head. Hell even miss the damn tackle but to play too deep and then not go balls out is unacceptable.

I'm pissed. I'm invested. Time and money. Years of it. Probably more than most here on both fronts. Enough that I chose to use my season tickets this year. That I've been to both games. That I'll go to the OU game. That I will expect to win. I live outside Austin. Got school age kids. I've made Longhorn football a priority. Missed maybe 5 home games in 25 years. I want some real success.

I'll save you the trouble and say that no one here cares. No one is going to check your credentials at the door. So leave them at the door and learn how things work around here. 

Saying this as someone that had a brutal entry to this site. When something I posted 2 years ago comes up most of the time I want to neg myself.

You'll get the hang of it. Your first post WAS quality. 

now you're moving the goal posts. you started with, "Sam won't be asked to run in short yardage situations in the NFL" (which he will), only now it's become, "QB running isn't a staple of NFL offenses." 
NFL offenses with mobile QBs ask those QBs to run the ball from time to time, if for nothing more than to keep defenses honest with the mere threat of a QB run. and yes, those teams often ask their QBs to run the ball in short yardage situations. any NFL team who employs Sam Ehlinger is going to ask him to use his legs and his muscle in certain short yardage situations. that's the way the game is played today. 
If Sam is a starting NFL QB, he will most likely not be asked to run the ball 10 plus times per game on designed runs including QB power, QB lead and QB sweep. There's only 1 guy that does that. Allen. Well you can include Newton. But he's bigger, faster and often hurt. Just like Allen, Newton's game is not accuracy.

Mayfield, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Garapolo, Brees, Brady, Rivers, Goff, Prescott, Carr, Wilson (not really a comp because his speed/quickness is off the charts), Murray, Mahomes and the list goes on for guys who do not run the ball in that manner or with that frequency.

But you're right to the point that offenses in the NFL are getting more creative including the QB run game. But not in the way we run our offense. Most NFL guys try to avoid contact even on designed runs. Sam does not.

I'll save you the trouble and say that no one here cares. No one is going to check your credentials at the door. So leave them at the door and learn how things work around here. 
Saying this as someone that had a brutal entry to this site. When something I posted 2 years ago comes up most of the time I want to neg myself.
You'll get the hang of it. Your first post WAS quality. 
I know. But I'm not sure I give a shit. Life goes on even if banned. I won't fight to get back on either. And I'm a dumbass for spending much time here. But I've lurked a long time and will continue to soak up Horns related bs going forward.

At the same time, some of the shitheads should pay attention to credentials. Sometimes they do mean something. Oftentimes, it does give a good, yet different perspective.

I'm well aware the arrogance, dumbassery and just plain sorryness runs high on the internet.

4 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Care to walk through those drives in the 3rd quarter? Jamison muffs a punt and we lose an offensive possession.The first drive stalls after consecutive incomplete passes and Texas punts. Then Texas blocks a punt for a TD and gives up it's next offensive possession. Then with 6 min left in the quarter, Texas begins it's second possession of the half. The drive died after a holding call on first down, followed by a 2 yard run and an incomplete pass by Josh Moore on 2nd down and finally an incomplete pass by Sam on 3rd and 21. Then Sam threw a pick on the third possession.

Sam had 2 bad drives in the quarter. That's not great, but it's not total sucktitude either.

Also, NO ONE is saying he's the second coming of Colt or VY. You're the only one who keeps making that comparison. The "Sam apologists" are arguing that he's a very good QB that belongs in the 2nd tier (or 3rd if you don't put Colt with Vince) of Texas QB's, and that he's he's not THE REASON Texas lost the game this weekend. He share's the blame, but let's give that some context:

Reasons Texas lost to TCU:

TOM HERMAN (culture, coaching, etc)

\/

\/

\/

\/

\/

\/

\/

\/

CHRIS ASH and the Texas Defense

\/

\/

\/

\/

\/

\/

\/

\/

\/

\/

Sam is somewhere down here

Edited by ioueleventybilliondollars
clumsy fingers and a tiny keyboard
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, victory88 said:

Sam is at his best when he’s running physical.  Since 2018, we’ve limited his runs and tried to turn him into a pocket passer.  I get it, they don’t want him injured.  However, Sam has continued to wait too long to get rid of the ball at times.  There were so many plays where he could have easily gained 5-10 yards if he took off, instead he tries to extend the play by rolling out only to throw it out of bounds.  They need to go back to the 2018 mindset.  If there’s no one open on your initial reads, take off and get a few yards.  Putting that type of stress on the defense is going to open up the offense a lot more.  Right now, we are handicapping ourselves by not letting Sam run. 

I agree. This pussified coaching staff needs to take the restrictions off of Sam and use him like the weapon he is. I’ll gladly watch Casey Thompson do the same if he gets dinged.

1 hour ago, Had Enough said:

Most NFL guys try to avoid contact even on designed runs. Sam does not.

Don't want a QB who has to get his 6 to 8 yards running over three guys, or trying to run over three guys.   That's ridiculous, Neanderthal-like football and over time, it's not sustainable.  We've already seen that book.  At some point, I guess we'll have a QB who gets those yards running around and away from defenders, and not trying to pulverize them in the process. 

Leave the NFL talk out of it.  Ehlinger isn't playing on Sundays.   Great guy.  Great representative of the school.  Good college QB, and that's it. 

"Ehlinger also said he was done having 'friendly conversations' with teammates about mistakes that could've been avoided with more attention to detail. 

“Not all leaders are liked,” Ehlinger said. “Being respected is more important, because you want to win. 

It's sad when the QB has to do the coaches job, too. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

There's no doubt Sam Ehlinger is a top-5 driven-to-win player I've ever covered in college sports.

What a bunch of horseshit. Lets start by putting the entire '05, '08 and '09 Longhorns at the top of the list. Then we can talk, Brian. 

4 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

"Ehlinger also said he was done having 'friendly conversations' with teammates about mistakes that could've been avoided with more attention to detail. 

He should have been "done" two years ago. Sam is talking like he's on the hot seat along with Herman. We've heard so much of this shit the past 4 seasons and nothing has changed. Don't tell me what you're going to do in the pressers - nod your head, give some cookie cutter answers, and go do it on the field.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Sam has got to get back to using his running ability more often.  Right now, we are seeing 3 man fronts with 8 dbs dropping back, making it impossible to throw the ball.  It feels like he has either been told to throw more and run less, or he is just simply refusing to do so when the time comes.  We should be FORCING the opponent to spy him at all times.  They shouldnt be able to drop 8 and force a dump off.  There were plenty of times in that TCU game where Sam had open space, and instead, he forced a shitty throw into coverage.

The lack of scrambling is the biggest regression I have seen out of him this year.  Our coach also needs to realize (lol good luck with that) that he is our #1 weapon.  Taking the ball out of his hands (handing off to Ingram at the goal line) is a massive mistake.  Treat him as your #1, #2 and #3 weapon at all times, not some fragile QB that cant get hit.  We are at our best when he is running people over and demanding the defense pay attention to him.

Right now, the formula to beat Texas is to rush 3 (because you WILL get pressure with it) and drop 8.  Tech did it to us all day and should have beat us, TCU did it and did beat us.  OU will 100% do the same, so Sam needs to be ready and Tom needs to get his head out of his stinky ass and wake the fuck up or pack his shit and gtfo.

• Hook 'Em 1