Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

13 hours ago, Halohal said:

IMO, Sam is just a victim of circumstances. Would lean towards Todd Dodge doing a better job then the current coach. Beside that point, I'm just damn glad to see this kid get this far without his father in his corner. 

A lot of these college athletes grow up without fathers in their lives and don’t get to live in million dollar homes like Sam and be on boats every weekend. I’m tired of this being the reason we accept his deficiencies. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 9

1 hour ago, UhhhIdk said:

A lot of these college athletes grow up without fathers in their lives and don’t get to live in million dollar homes like Sam and be on boats every weekend. I’m tired of this being the reason we accept his deficiencies. 

How would we not accept his deficiencies?

In that case I refuse to accept any deficiencies in any players playing any sport here at UT Austin. Will that help them be better? Was it me accepting them all along that caused them to have deficiencies?

If so, sorry everybody. My mistake.

I have always appreciated players that work hard and leave it on the field. You know, the guys that love being here and appreciate the special opportunity that being a scholarship athlete at UT represents. (Earl, Colt, Vince, Ricky, Terry Stealhammer, Doug Shankle, D.D. Lewis, Kiki DeAyala, Pretty much the entire 1969, 1970 teams). There are many more, but these are just some of the ones I got to see.

Win or lose, you do it like they did and I will stay to sing the Eyes as my salute to your efforts and our bond as Longhorns. 

Edited by 927 E. 41st
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 10/13/2020 at 10:20 PM, UhhhIdk said:

We accept his deficiencies because he bust his ass in games. We also suspect that if he had proper coaching he would bust his ass to fix his deficiencies. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Here's a badass thought that I think we can all get behind: 

Part of me wants Sam to come back next year because I love the guy. But part of me wants him to move on so we don't risk unrest from our younger QBs and QB recruits that we have lined up. WHAT IF... at the end of this year Sam realizes the only way he'll have an NFL career is if he takes a Taysom Hill role, so he decides to come back next year and play TE/HB for us to show NFL scouts he can play that role. We could obviously also line him up in shotgun for short yardage and goal line situations. That would give us the best of both worlds: keep our best "team" guy around to stabilize things with our new coach (fingers crossed) without disrupting the lineage of great QBs we have lined up. 

Thoughts? 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TexasPride10 said:

Part of me wants Sam to come back next year because I love the guy. But part of me wants him to move on so we don't risk unrest from our younger QBs and QB recruits that we have lined up. WHAT IF... at the end of this year Sam realizes the only way he'll have an NFL career is if he takes a Taysom Hill role, so he decides to come back next year and play TE/HB for us to show NFL scouts he can play that role. We could obviously also line him up in shotgun for short yardage and goal line situations. That would give us the best of both worlds: keep our best "team" guy around to stabilize things with our new coach (fingers crossed) without disrupting the lineage of great QBs we have lined up. 

Thoughts? 

Sam doesn't have anything close to Hill's athleticism.  Hill is actually an elite athlete by NFL standards.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, TexasPride10 said:

Thoughts? 

Jake Ehlinger can play TE/HB if that’s the aesthetic you’re going for

9 minutes ago, TexasPride10 said:

Thoughts? 

And when the new QB struggles? 

I don't get how people can see Dak Prescott succeed in the NFL and then assume Sam can't. It's all about the system he gets drafted into. Curious to see what ball velocity Sam gets at the Combine. Dak hit 55 mph, which is good for some years but was average in his class. Watson and Jackson didn't break 50. Colt McCoy allegedly got 56 at a private work out.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, TexasPride10 said:

Thoughts? 

So use him along side Casey Thompson, Hudson Card or JaQuinden Jackson. Interesting take, but I highly doubt Sam comes back. 

32 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Sam doesn't have anything close to Hill's athleticism.  Hill is actually an elite athlete by NFL standards.

I don’t get why people keep throwing this comparison out there. Taysom runs a 4.4. He blocks punts, he’s great on special teams, he plays 3 or 4 positions. 

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, TexasPride10 said:

WHAT IF... at the end of this year Sam realizes the only way he'll have an NFL career is if he takes a Taysom Hill role, so he decides to come back next year and play TE/HB for us to show NFL scouts he can play...

Thoughts? 

I think that’s probably the dumbest fucking take I’ve seen on this board all year and that you should feel terrible.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Halohal said:

What exactly is this tweet supposed to be telling us? That Sam was the best QB of this last decade from hell? That was already pretty damn obvious. And means nothing in the end because the best season we had was a 4 loss season. It did end in a Sugar Bowl win but in his words "we're baaaaaack" was followed up by 2 shitty seasons. So meh.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

What exactly is this tweet supposed to be telling us? That Sam was the best QB of this last decade from hell? That was already pretty damn obvious. And means nothing in the end because the best season we had was a 4 loss season. It did end in a Sugar Bowl win but in his words "we're baaaaaack" was followed up by 2 shitty seasons. So meh.

tallest midget in the room still means something

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

tallest midget in the room still means something

I mean maybe but I don't think anyone is trying to argue there was another QB this past decade than him or it was some surprise his win percentage was ahead of the other QBs we trotted out there. That tweet seemed to try and prove some point but everyone knows Sam is the best QB we have had the past decade. But that's the issue. If he is not only your best qB but far away the best QB you have had, it is safe to say you were did not have a great decade.

Joseph Cook: Tom Herman and the "save us, Sam Ehlinger" offense

A recurring theme is now evident in Texas’ conference games. The Longhorns sputter on offense with a big play here or there and limited production in the run game, while the defense gives up just enough to where the Longhorns need to mount a comeback in the late stages of a game. Texas’ corresponding efforts in the final stretch of conference games is based on spread passing and lucky bounces.

The offensive explosion to open the season versus UTEP now stands as an outlier. Three games against varying quality of opponents (Texas Tech, TCU, Oklahoma) have been played and each contest has followed the “save us, Sam Ehlinger” script of scoring deficit, passing-passing-passing, exciting finish.

Texas head coach Tom Herman would prefer not to have to rely on the “save us, Sam Ehlinger” script. Herman has endorsed the need for “complementary football” and repeated “we’re going to win with great defense” throughout his tenure at Texas. But Texas gets into “save us, Sam Ehlinger” because of struggles with complementary football and playing defense. It has been the most successful offensive approach for the 2020 Longhorns during conference play.

image.png

The passing offense in Big 12 games before Ehlinger and the rest of the Longhorns must kick it into overdrive averages a paltry 5.47 yards per attempt. Were that mark his regular season YPA, Ehlinger would rank No. 67 out of 71 eligible quarterbacks per official NCAA statistics. Ehlinger’s last five minutes/overtime YPA would rank No. 23. His current overall mark of 7.48 places him at No. 40, but his 6.09 conference YPA would put him at No. 65, one spot ahead of Baylor’s Charlie Brewer. Ignoring YPA, his passing touchdown numbers in one quarter of game time and five overtime periods rival his passing touchdown production in 165 minutes outside of crunch time.

Ehlinger is not perfect by any stretch and he would be the first to say it. He has on multiple occasions including after his standout season opening game. His late interception against the Sooners ended the comeback attempt he manufactured. He is not perfect, but he definitely can lead a capable spread passing offense that can diminish the role of the current lackluster offensive line. The question is, will Herman adopt that approach?

Herman said following the Oklahoma game his team needs to figure out a way to sustain normal tempo drives. In his first press conference after UT’s most recent open week, Herman specifically identified rushing offense as something that improved the most with the extra practice time. Running the football is an important feature of any offense, but running the football as the feature of an offense (a.k.a. establishing the run) is more in line with a Big 10 way of thinking as opposed to one from the Big 12.

Darrell K Royal’s quote about how two of the three results from passing the football hurt a team’s chances of winning may stand out in the mind of Longhorn fans, but the days of the wishbone are no more. Plus, the potential positive outweighs the potential negative, especially when a quality quarterback is at the helm of the offense. Even Oklahoma, who won three national championships with Royal’s trademark offense, figured out passing was the pathway toward success for their most recent national championship and College Football Playoff appearances.

Texas’ best offense this year is its passing offense. The risks Herman often cites about “airing it out” have validity. Three straight incompletions would put a defense still attempting to find its footing back on the field quickly, but there are high-percentage routes and throws, such as in the screen game, that can act as extensions of the run game.

Texas is not going to shift from Herman pro-spread to Mike Leach 200-proof air raid. That offense is as unique as the option run by service academies. Even Dana Holgorsen and Lincoln Riley, two of Leach’s most prominent pupils, value rushing offense. However, they understand the best way to score as many points as possible as fast as possible is through a passing offense with the potential for explosive plays. Herman has a quarterback who can capably lead that offense, even if he isn’t an expert pro-level passer right now.

Whether Herman does so or not could determine whether his offense will begin to pull away from opponents or will continue to have to come back in the last five minutes just to have a chance.

On 10/16/2020 at 9:04 AM, B00M said:

I don't get how people can see Dak Prescott succeed in the NFL and then assume Sam can't. It's all about the system he gets drafted into. Curious to see what ball velocity Sam gets at the Combine. Dak hit 55 mph, which is good for some years but was average in his class. Watson and Jackson didn't break 50. Colt McCoy allegedly got 56 at a private work out.

Sam is Dak now?

On 10/16/2020 at 9:04 AM, B00M said:

Dak is a huge exception if we're talking about how QBs project vs. how they end up producing.

And Sam isn't Deshaun or Lamar. He just isn't and never will be. 

4 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

so you guys project Sam to have a Dak Prescott-like career at the next level. okie silly dilly dokie o. 

Never said that. Hell, I don't think Dak would have the career he's had if he was drafted to nearly any other NFL team. He either wouldn't have gotten the opportunity to start as a rookie or he wouldn't have had the elite OL and RB to lean on his 1st 2 years. 

I think there's a reasonably good chance that Sam is going to be a better pro player than college player. This decade, we've seen the coaching staffs fail our players again and again in terms of developing them for the NFL, then they get to the league and get real coaching and become much better pro players than they were under Strong and Herman's coaching abortion clinics. We've seen it with Poona, both Malcolm Browns, Hicks, Okafor, and even Malcolm Roach this year as a UDFA with the Saints is flashing.

His accuracy in college isn't really any worse than a guy like Josh Allen's was. The difference seems to be that Josh Allen had better offensive coaching at fucking Wyoming then Sam is getting here. 

I refuse to write Sam's future off until he actually has some time under a legitimate football coach and not a clown who makes piss charts and acts like a 12 year old on the sidelines.

And yeah, mistakes and areas for improvement and all, he's still by far the best player on the team. By FAR.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I don't think it's how he meant it, but I read it as being on your 6th qb in a 10 year period might not be great. When you consider Sam has basically started 4 years, it means we almost had a new starter each year for 6 years. Talk about Browns level management of the position.

12 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Sam is Dak now?

12 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

so yes, you think Sam = Dak. roger that. 

10 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

so you guys project Sam to have a Dak Prescott-like career at the next level. okie silly dilly dokie o. 

Yeah this is pretty laughable.  NO ONE, not even me, thought Dak would become a Franchise level QB. But for some idiot to basically say "Well if Dak can succeed anyone can" is crazy IMO.

5 hours ago, B00M said:

Never said that. Hell, I don't think Dak would have the career he's had if he was drafted to nearly any other NFL team. He either wouldn't have gotten the opportunity to start as a rookie or he wouldn't have had the elite OL and RB to lean on his 1st 2 years. 

Neither would have Russ or Big Ben if they had been drafted anywhere else.  Notice how all 3 of them got better while the teams around them got worse(well maybe not Pitt, they've always seemed to have a great defense).

Dak was definitely lucky to have been behind Romo(had Moore get hurt in training camp) and be behind an elite OL with a great RB in year one.  Year 2 is where it started to slide around him, and as a 2nd year QB he obviously struggled.  Year 3 the OL got worse, the Weapons were awful, and it was just him and Zeke.  By this year we see what he can do without a good OL and an underperforming running game.

If Same is lucky enough to get drafted to the Titans or Pats or Ravens, and some one gets hurt in front of him, he might have a chance.  But there are people who think Sam won't even be drafted.  Dak fell on draft boards to round 4 because of a DWI.  He was always getting drafted in 2016. Might have gone higher if there weren't some flags.

Edited by Drew

13 minutes ago, Drew said:

Yeah this is pretty laughable.  NO ONE, not even me, thought Dak would become a Franchise level QB. But for some idiot to basically say "Well if Dak can succeed anyone can" is crazy IMO.

Neither would have Russ or Big Ben if they had been drafted anywhere else.  Notice how all 3 of them got better while the teams around them got worse(well maybe not Pitt, they've always seemed to have a great defense).

Dak was definitely lucky to have been behind Romo(had Moore get hurt in training camp) and be behind an elite OL with a great RB in year one.  Year 2 is where it started to slide around him, and as a 2nd year QB he obviously struggled.  Year 3 the OL got worse, the Weapons were awful, and it was just him and Zeke.  By this year we see what he can do without a good OL and an underperforming running game.

If Same is lucky enough to get drafted to the Titans or Pats or Ravens, and some one gets hurt in front of him, he might have a chance.  But there are people who think Sam won't even be drafted.  Dak fell on draft boards to round 4 because of a DWI.  He was always getting drafted in 2016. Might have gone higher if there weren't some flags.

There's a zero percent chance Sam doesn't get drafted. He's 6'3 built like a tight end with good (not great) mobility and is capable of making all the throws. I'm not saying he's going to be an NFL starter, but the physical tools are there. Those guys always get drafted. There is no planet in the universe where Jake Fromm gets drafted in the 5th and Ehlinger goes UDFA. One or more coaches out there will think that they can turn his raw physical talent into something. 

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, BradInATX said:

There's a zero percent chance Sam doesn't get drafted. He's 6'3 built like a tight end with good (not great) mobility and is capable of making all the throws. I'm not saying he's going to be an NFL starter, but the physical tools are there. Those guys always get drafted. There is no planet in the universe where Jake Fromm gets drafted in the 5th and Ehlinger goes UDFA. One or more coaches out there will think that they can turn his raw physical talent into something. 

I don't disagree. I think he'll do enough this year to definitely get drafted.  All I'm saying is I've seen people, even on this very thread, say he won't get drafted(I think that's crazy too).

Like I said I'd like to see him drafted to a well run team that's already set to succeed even if he's the backup for a year or two and the starter goes down(Tenn/NE/Baltimore, ect...)

• Hook 'Em 1