Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

I took notes on Sam, the OL, and the WRs during the first half. I thought it was 100% typical of what we've come to expect from all of them. None of them are close to perfect, all of them are inconsistent, but Sam remains the driving force behind our success. Here's the copy/paste of the notes:

Sam vs Baylor, good, bad, O line, WRs

•0:49 left in 1Q, nothing of note 

•early 2Q, complete on 3rd down to Eagles- clean pocket, but a very high throw, only a huge target like Eagles could have made the catch. his first downfield throw, and it was poor.

•don't even know wtf that was just now. he just fired the ball out of bounds when he could have run the ball for/near a first down.

•10:00 2Q- sacked after Cosmi got worked 

•9:26- great pocket, near perfect throw, possibly could have been a TD had Black not tripped up

•really nice run to convert 3rd down; took a brutal hit, possibly should have been a penalty 

•ball batted down on 2nd and goal, hated the play call

•incomplete on 3rd down to Jake Smith who was open, but overthrown. Needed a better throw for the TD

•4:20 in 2Q, nice pocket but ball was underthrown to Epps, who is 6'6". could have been a big play, Sam has to do better. 

•nice play call, Sam moves the pocket and hits the sidearm screen for a big first down 

•really nice run on a QB counter, waited for the hole and then took it for a first down 

•what a catch by Moore! Nice ball from Sam down the sideline and a spectacular catch by Moore. huge gain.

•the best of Sam. uses his mobility to elude the defender and drops the dime to Moore for the TD.

1H thoughts:

so far: it's classic Sam Ehlinger. he has been by no means perfect, and in fact he's made some poor throws that a QB of his status and experience should be making. still, he's been the driving force behind our offense, and has made just as many really nice plays that have led to points. not bad, but not spectacular- just mostly good and dynamic QB play, typical of Sam. 

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

so, if we replace Sam today with VY or Colt, then we'd still only score 27 points? same with Dak? okie dokie. anyone who still insists that we're watching an all-time great QB is beyond help. 

Most people are thinking Sam is the best QB on the team, lucky he's still walking, will always be a loved Longhorn for all he's done with so little help around him 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Most people are thinking Sam is the best QB on the team, lucky he's still walking, will always be a loved Longhorn for all he's done with so little help around him 

then i'm not addressing those people. i'm continuing the only conversation i've been having in this thread lately, which is with the Church of Sam Ehlinger zealots who continue to claim that he's an all-time great QB who is literally not responsible for any of our team's issues. And based on the amount of pos rep that each one of these insane posts receives, i'm not all that sure that "most" people have a rational or fact-based view of Sam. 

Besides the zealots, we still have got way too many people here completely mischaracterizing this "appalling lack of help" that Sam allegedly has. It's total BS frankly, yet it's the accepted storyline surrounding this team and QB. The one argument that has been true before today is that our total lack of a running game from the RB position has done Sam zero favors. Today that was much better.

However, the idea that the guys who surround Sam are a bunch JV player clowns who keep sabotaging him is asinine, and if you seriously still can't see that then you are not capable of being objective. I counted at least four or five major overthrows/underthrown balls today by Sam, which is standard for him. He factually lets his WRs down more often than they do him. His O line is not great, and they do get beat a fair amount, but they also give him *all day* to throw on a pretty regular basis, game in and game out. this O line *easily* protects Sam better than Colt's 08 and 09 lines did- easily.

So stop it with the completely false narrative that Sam is just being sabotaged left and right by his teammates. That shit is patently false, and is unfair to the rest of his teammates who themselves can't always count on Sam to make a play when they've given him all day to throw and have beaten their DBs. Sam makes also mistakes; his instincts are shaky at best; he often holds onto the ball too long, and he has a long history of being erratic throwing the ball. he's also our best offensive player, and out win totals win definitely go down without him. he is not the demigod that so many of you have made him out to be. he's bulky Major Applewhite. he's nowhere near an all time great. 

• Fuck You 2

15 minutes ago, Deej said:

That pick was bad, but should he have even been in the game after he got hit helmet to helmet twice on that TD run? 

This here. If moving forward we ever decide to stop running Sam or otherwise turtle to protect him, just put in Casey and let him play. It was 27-3. He needs reps for next year and you don't have to protect him. He could have run that turtle fucking 4th quarter and it would have paid dividends next year.

• Hook 'Em 1

so, if we replace Sam today with VY or Colt, then we'd still only score 27 points? same with Dak? okie dokie. anyone who still insists that we're watching an all-time great QB is beyond help. 
Dak would have sucked if we had put him in today in place of Sam. He's got a broken ankle. I'm not sure if VY is still in football shape but he'd probably win anyway. Colt would have destroyed them.

13 hours ago, Modessit said:
16 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Dak would have sucked if we had put him in today in place of Sam. He's got a broken ankle. I'm not sure if VY is still in football shape but he'd probably win anyway. Colt would have destroyed them.

My ankle is fine and I certainly have the wherewithal.

1 hour ago, Texaspython said:

I thought this was Sam’s best game of the season. The game plan was good, and Sam was utilized the right way.  

While this is true, 27 points gets us run off the field against many a Big 12 opponent.

But to quote fuckface, you never apologize about winning a game in division 1 football.

Edited by Nope

On 10/25/2020 at 9:51 AM, Texaspython said:

I thought this was Sam’s best game of the season. The game plan was good, and Sam was utilized the right way.  

Nah. He was better against UTEP and Tech. About as good against OU. He just doesn't show out for TCU for whatever reason - hasn't his entire career here.

1 minute ago, WinningIsHard said:

He is beat the fuck up and still somehow manages to keep it together, the look on his face after that Ossai sack didn’t scream we just won. If I didn’t know any better we lost that game by watching him walk on the field. Poor kid knows herman is going to be around for another week. 

Lulz you interpret his demeanor as Herman hate? Nuts

47 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Lulz you interpret his demeanor as Herman hate? Nuts

Wait...you think Sam has enjoyed his 4 years under herman? I’m sure as a young boy he envisioned a coach who made fun of opposing qb’s on sports center, flipped the bird to UT cameras, oh and won as often as he lost in the big 12. That’s a crazy stance man. If you are looking at my interpretation without any context then I guess you have a point man. 

13 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Wait...you think Sam has enjoyed his 4 years under herman? I’m sure as a young boy he envisioned a coach who made fun of opposing qb’s on sports center, flipped the bird to UT cameras, oh and won as often as he lost in the big 12. That’s a crazy stance man. If you are looking at my interpretation without any context then I guess you have a point man. 

his "interpretation" is as accurate as yours though, unless you have some sort of inside info. otherwise, shut the fuck up since your shit is solely based on baseless conjecture. 

to stay on topic, need to rewatch but think i liked sam's effort, even if the plays didn't always result as positive. but that can probably (unfortunately) be said about his entire career here.  hope he has some amazing last games to close out the season and gets drafted to a team willing to develop him. 

• Hook 'Em 1