Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

Justin Wells: Sam Ehlinger says goodbye to Texas

AUSTIN, Texas – Texas Football senior quarterback Sam Ehlinger will forgo his extra season of eligibility and enter the 2021 NFL Draft, he announced Sunday. Ehlinger has accepted an invitation to the 2021 Senior Bowl that will be played on January 30 in Mobile, Ala.

Ehlinger, an Austin native, ends his collegiate career as one of the most successful quarterbacks in Texas history. He played in 46 games and made 43 starts during his time on the Forty Acres, leading the Longhorns to 27 wins as the starting quarterback – the fourth-most in school history. Ehlinger served as a team captain during the 2019 and 2020 seasons, becoming only the seventh two-time team captain in school history.

His name is left near the top of numerous lists in the Texas record book. Most notably, he closes his collegiate career ranked second on UT record in completions (923), passing yards (11,436), total offense (13,343), passing touchdowns (94), and total touchdowns responsible for (127). Ehlinger also ranks second among Longhorn quarterbacks in rushing touchdowns (33) and third in rushing yards (1,907). He threw for more than 200 yards, and surpassed 300 yards 10 times, both the second-most in school history behind only Colt McCoy.

He holds school records for lowest interception percentage (1.83%), games with a passing and rushing touchdown (18), games with 350 yards of total offense (11), games with 400 yards of total offense (5), games with 400-plus passing yards (2) and games with five-plus passing touchdowns (2), among others.

Ehlinger is one of only three players in FBS history to throw for at least 11,000 career yards and rush for more than 1,500 yards. He is also one of only three players in FBS history to throw for at least 90 touchdowns and rush for 30. Ehlinger’s 127 touchdowns responsible for rank as the fourth-most in Big 12 history, and his 94 passing touchdowns are the seventh-best tally by a Big 12 quarterback. Ehlinger was at his best for Texas during the biggest moments and biggest games, leading UT to eight wins over ranked opponents and tying the school record with seven game-winning drives during his four-year career. He also tied McCoy for the school record with three bowl game wins as the program’s starting quarterback, and is the only quarterback in school history to play meaningful snaps in four bowl wins.

In 2020, Ehlinger has been named a finalist for the William V. Campbell Trophy, Jason Witten Collegiate Man of the Year Award, Wuerffel Trophy and Bobby Bowden Trophy. In addition, he was selected to the Allstate AFCA Good Works Team, named the Big 12 Co-Football Scholar-Athlete of the Year and recognized as a semifinalist for the Davey O’Brien and Earl Campbell Tyler Rose awards. He was also a Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award Top-10 Candidate and earned second-team All-Big 12 recognition from the league’s coaches. Ehlinger was a three-time Academic All-Big 12 First Team selections (2018-20) and a six-time member of the Big 12 Commissioner’s Honor Roll.

7 minutes ago, alphahorn said:

If every player cared as much as you did, we would have won it all

Indeed. We've had better players, but I doubt we've ever had a player bust his ass and leave it out there on the field for the longhorns as much as Sam. And more importantly he seems like a well-adjusted, good guy. Not sure what the NFL holds for Sam, but if it doesn't work out, I'm sure something else will.

• Hook 'Em 1

I love that Sam embodied everything good about COLLEGE football.  The “born to be the QB at Texas” thing was a great marketing schtick for the team, but it’s clear he really bleeds burnt orange and loves the university. He’s an awesome ambassador for Texas football and the school at large.

Unfortunately, I worry that the new college football landscape will diminish and ultimately do away with players being so connected to schools. I have this sinking feeling that Sam’s departure represents the end of what I have loved about Texas football for the past 20 years...that I am a graduate of a school I feel a deep connection to in a place I love, and I share that with Sam, seems like a feeling that will be hard for new college football fans to obtain as teams like Texas become more professionalized and the attachment to the university itself becomes more distant.

I think Texas will thrive in the new college football environment, because our resources are unmatched. In fact, we may thrive more than we have in the more “collegiate” landscape. But any excitement I feel at those prospects doesn’t diminish the loss of a college football fandom that might become a relic of the past. I hope Sam wasn’t the last great COLLEGE football QB at Texas, but he might be.

• Hook 'Em 2

Sam may not realize it today, but he will some day - he's probably the most beloved of the living former players. I've been around a long time and I can't recall a player who bled burnt orange as much as Sam, other than perhaps Earl.  We didn't get the crystal ball like we did with Vince or the Heisman of Earl and Ricky, but he gave 4 years of blood and guts through some pretty rough times.  He'll probably make a fine coach some day.  Who knows maybe the last chapter of his UT story is yet to be written.

Edited by alphahorn
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2